THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign David Patten

EERSandBROWNS

I do not like the idea of losing 6-3 Braylon and stocking our ends with guys under 6 foot. You need at least 1 pony in your stable that can stretch the field in the z-axis in addition to the x,y. Crabtree & Nicks (the two top WR in the draft, imo) are both barely 6-1. Having a big target with soft hands to go to on 3rd & long makes a difference. And we just traded Joey J's replacement to Tampa Bay.

Will the lack of interest in TO drive his price down for a season or two to make it worth it to pick him up (all assuming we do something dumb & trade BE)? Julio Jones from Bama in a year or two would be a hell of an addition to Crabtree.

I do not like the idea of losing 6-3 Braylon and stocking our ends with guys under 6 foot. You need at least 1 pony in your stable that can stretch the field in the z-axis in addition to the x,y. Crabtree & Nicks (the two top WR in the draft, imo) are both barely 6-1. Having a big target with soft hands to go to on 3rd & long makes a difference. And we just traded Joey J's replacement to Tampa Bay.

The Steelers don't think so. Ward, Washington and Holmes. 6'1, 6' and 5'11"

I like Patton and always have, but they should have signed him last year when he was available. Phillip had his head up his ass on that one, he would have come cheap and who knows, maybe he doesn't get hurt.

Patton is a solid team player who has more game than people think, regardless of his age. He can go up and get it, runs solid routes and will surprise you with his speed at times. This is a good signing.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I saw so many people complaning about Joe Jurevicious's age at 34..... and yet so many people are fine with Patten? <_<

I'm not one who complained about Joe's age, but I am scared about that knee and X amount of surgeries from round after round of Staph.

Sure, Joe said he could play, so did LCB.

I would have liked to see Joe continue on but he's been in BAD shape over 2 of 3 of the last seasons and we don't know how much he's got left on his wheels.

Patten isn't coming off of a season where he's getting his knee rebuilt.

Out of a healthy Joe and a healthy Patten I'd rather have Joe, but we don't know Joe's current state.

Maybe he was brought in and failed his physical and the staff (no pun intended) didn't say anything because they wanted Joe to have a shot somewhere else, maybe it was a salary issue, maybe both.

Point is, they're running a pretty tight ship with almost no information being passed on to us until it's happened and we don't know all of the story even when it has.

I agree.

You take the age and add in all the other stuff and you have a bad mix.

And....we offered to keep Joe....just not at what he was making. Pattons contract is probably in line with what we were willing to pay Joe.

Guest ATENEARS
Holt is a high profile WR of the same ilk as T.O, he most definitely wants to get paid and the Browns would be stupid to invest that kind of money in a aging WR. T.O on the other hand is most definitely up there but he's a physical freak where as Holt is not and his productivity has suffered a bit over the last couple years.

Let's compare:

PLAYER:........ Holt ......... T.O.

Years ................ 10 ........ 13

Rec/per season ... 86.9 .... 73.1

Yrds/per game .... 80 ......74.7

Yrds/per season .. 1266 ... 1086

Touchdowns/per ... 7.4 ..... 10.6

yards/reception ... 14.6 ... 14.8

games played per .. 15.8 ... 14.5

The last three years, including Holts "single low season" and T.O.'s rebirth at Dallas:

Holt 250 rec for 3173 yrds

T.O. 235 rec for 3587 yrds

Holt = total class team player who's played for Rams since 1999.

T.O. = total locker room cancer going on his 4th team in 14 seasons.

In need of a 'possession receiver', Torry Holt would be a much better fit here, with three less years in the league than T.O.

Holt has suited up for 98.75% of his games in his career ... talk about "physical freak"

Guest ATENEARS

Torry Holt through 10-seasons:

869 rec for 12660 yrds

Jerry Rice through 10-seasons:

720 rec for 13275 yrds

They both were physical specimen, Holt only missing two games, Rice only missing 4.

At TEN Seasons, that was basically Jerry Rice's halfway point in his career. He went on to have a 1800+ yrd receiving season in his 11th, (4) more 1,000+ yrd seasons and (3) 800+ yrds seasons. He remained fairly healthy except for one year.

These guys both have awesome work ethic and are professionals.

Holt would put us on the map.

Archived