THE BROWNS BOARD

What the hell is going on in Cleveland?

Guest mz.

Both QB's are on the market. Both QB's are off the market. We're interested in Cutler. We're not interested in Cutler (we sure as shit should be). We're interested in trading Edwards. We're not interested in trading Edwards. We sign aging scrubs (Poteat, Patten). Our injured "#2" receiver is going to jail. We STILL don't know for certain what we got for Winslow. We have an impossible pick to make at #5, and nobody on the planet would trade with us. Up is down. Down is up.

Our vaunted new regime of Newsome/Belichick "proteges" is, IMO, doing zilch. Seems like we're on the 20-year plan here. I'm fine with a quiet FA period, but don't make noise by adding trash. Why not resign Holly instead of adding Poteat? Is he Mangini's caddy?? Why, if you want Elam, offer him only 500K more than the Jets did? They BETTER be focusing all of their efforts on the draft, because if not, or if they have a subpar effort on draft day, we are looking at a long couple of seasons here.

We are just not use to doing things right. Letting go of the "me-first players", no player is above the team, every one is replaceable, ...this is how a team should be run.

Stallworth is not a good thing, but it happened.

Don't take crap from the malcentents (Rogers) keep the pretty boys on their toes (Quinn/Edwards), don't sign big name free agents, focus on running and defense.

That's how good teams do it.

We are on the right track.

I've seen what the Pats, et al, have been doing. This doesn't feel like that at all. This feels like a group of people who are THINKING they know how to do it, but don't.

I realize I haven't given them any time at all, and it is impossible to make a judgment so far, but something doesn't feel right to me.

Don't worry mz the pussy...the sky isn't falling.

We have a plan and it is starting to unfold.

You have to cleanse yourself of all you thought you knew about who was going to play...Savage is gone.

This is going to be a drafted team for a while, and Savage players are going to become scarce pretty quick..

Don't worry...winning 4 games isn't that hard....you can almost luck in to that, and in the years ahead, I think we are going to be good.

Just accept that change is going to happen.

I've seen what the Pats, et al, have been doing. This doesn't feel like that at all. This feels like a group of people who are THINKING they know how to do it, but don't.

I realize I haven't given them any time at all, and it is impossible to make a judgment so far, but something doesn't feel right to me.

I agree - I have this nagging feeling. I LIKED the Mangini hire, but now I'm wondering.

Still, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I expect to see immediate improvement. No more of this 'year one, figure out who is worth keeping, year 2...year 4 as bad as year 1, time to start over.'

I used to think it was a slow process, but after watching other teams turn around in a season or two, I'm no longer a believer.

Both QB's are on the market. Both QB's are off the market. We're interested in Cutler. We're not interested in Cutler (we sure as shit should be). We're interested in trading Edwards. We're not interested in trading Edwards. We sign aging scrubs (Poteat, Patten). Our injured "#2" receiver is going to jail. We STILL don't know for certain what we got for Winslow. We have an impossible pick to make at #5, and nobody on the planet would trade with us. Up is down. Down is up.

Our vaunted new regime of Newsome/Belichick "proteges" is, IMO, doing zilch. Seems like we're on the 20-year plan here. I'm fine with a quiet FA period, but don't make noise by adding trash. Why not resign Holly instead of adding Poteat? Is he Mangini's caddy?? Why, if you want Elam, offer him only 500K more than the Jets did? They BETTER be focusing all of their efforts on the draft, because if not, or if they have a subpar effort on draft day, we are looking at a long couple of seasons here.

Maybe we need to realize that rumors sell papers and take them for what they are worth.

Personally, I love what is going on. The team hasn't said shit about trades and that's the way it should be. FA is been great. I like the signing of backup/role players to fill needs and build the team through the draft. I don't care if we ever sign a high priced FA again. Poteat and Patton will serve their purpose. Remember they are just like signing UDFAs that don't get paid until they make the team. Neither has a guaranteed contract. You ask about Elam. How much do you want to pay a backup SS and special teamer? would you want to give him more then a $1.5 million contract guaranteed? You ask why not resign Holly? Do you see other teams tripping over each other to get him signed. Maybe they are talking to him about a contract, no one here really knows. Or, maybe he isn't fully recovered from his injury. Or, maybe he just doesn't want to sign with Cleveland. You know it takes two to get a contract done. Just because we want him doesn't mean he has to sign woth us. Maybe he is testing the market to see waht his value is and then will come back to the Browns to talk.

The thing is, you are jumping to a lot of conclusions and really don't know what's really going on in Berea. I don't mean to come across like I do, but the point is you can't believe everything you read and no news doesn't necessarily mean they are doing nothing.

Before we judge, let's see their plan develop and then decide if we agree or disagree.

BTW, I haven't seen any charges on Stallworth yet either. Something seems funny that they would let him leave the state if they were planning to charge him soon.

A second rounder this year and a fifth next year.

I agree - I have this nagging feeling. I LIKED the Mangini hire, but now I'm wondering.

Still, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I expect to see immediate improvement. No more of this 'year one, figure out who is worth keeping, year 2...year 4 as bad as year 1, time to start over.'

I used to think it was a slow process, but after watching other teams turn around in a season or two, I'm no longer a believer.

Good for you....i have been there for a while.

Now apply the same thinking to players and you will have matured fully as a NFL fan.

Players who need time to develop are players I don't want.

Step in and do something and show me something that leads me to believe you will get even better or hit the road.

We have wasted time with Wimp. Quinn if he starts needs to light it up by the 2nd game or he is toast in my book.

It's a revolving door with me...get it done or get out so I am not aggravated.

Good for you....i have been there for a while.

Now apply the same thinking to players and you will have matured fully as a NFL fan.

Players who need time to develop are players I don't want.

Step in and do something and show me something that leads me to believe you will get even better or hit the road.

We have wasted time with Wimp. Quinn if he starts needs to light it up by the 2nd game or he is toast in my book.

It's a revolving door with me...get it done or get out so I am not aggravated.

Eli Manning?

It took him how long?

You cant ditch Quinn after 2 games, more like 2 full seasons

FA is been great.

Look, I understand this is the popular feeling around here. Maybe it looks and feels better because it isn't what we have unsuccessfully been doing for the past couple of seasons, but feeling "great" about it is strange to me.

Eli Manning?

It took him how long?

You cant ditch Quinn after 2 games, more like 2 full seasons

Sure i can......and BQ isn't as good as Manning, so it makes it easier.

Manning wasn't passed over by 21 teams.

I know we may like to think it, but these other teams aren't run by idiots. Add in the fact savage's draft record isn't stellar....well...there you have it.

What I said doesn't mean he has to be great, but he is a 3rd year player now.....I am not willing to waste 2 more season on the guy.....he got benched for Anderson last year.

What does that say???

What I said doesn't mean he has to be great, but he is a 3rd year player now.....I am not willing to waste 2 more season on the guy.....he got benched for Anderson last year. What does that say???

That says: Quinn had a torn ligament in his finger when he got yanked. I saw it. I was at THAT game against the Texans. How can you say he got benched when he needed surgery???

Look, I understand this is the popular feeling around here. Maybe it looks and feels better because it isn't what we have unsuccessfully been doing for the past couple of seasons, but feeling "great" about it is strange to me.

Why? Because we haven't overpaid for a guy that his former team couldn't or wouldn't keep. I believe that one reason for 10-6 then 4-12 was injuries and no depth. First, you have to say the schedules were quite different. Then you need to acknowledge that we stayed fairly healthy in 2007 and were banged up in 2008 from the beginning of camp on. So, that's why I think what they are doing in FA is great. We spent on top FAs and had a good starting team on paper but we had zero depth at most positions. This is a league of injuries, you will have some over a 16 game schedule and you need to have depth to overcome injuries. When Holly went down, we had nobody. When Jones was down, we had nobody. When Stallworth went down, we had nobody. and every injury took someone off special teams and so and so on and so on.

This staff is putting some veteran pieces in place to help in case of injuries. Solid backups and role players that are afordable. I want to get players out of college and mold them to be Browns. We haven't had a team for awhile, we've had a bunch of players from all over just out there playing. Sometimes the best FAs just don't blend or fit your scheme.

JMHO

I know we may like to think it, but these other teams aren't run by idiots. Add in the fact savage's draft record isn't stellar....well...there you have it.

What I said doesn't mean he has to be great, but he is a 3rd year player now.....I am not willing to waste 2 more season on the guy.....he got benched for Anderson last year.

What does that say???

The guy that went with Anderson is now unemployed.

What does that say?

When Holly went down, we had nobody. When Jones was down, we had nobody. When Stallworth went down, we had nobody. and every injury took someone off special teams and so and so on and so on.

We have nobody behind Jones, and we don't even have Jones. :) We are weaker at WR than last season. We signed a shitty CB.

I'm down with what you're saying, and we seem to agree that the "Patriot Way" is the way to do things, but this seems like a team TRYING to emulate that philosophy but botching it. This is JMHO.

It's to the point where I can't read this board anymore

Later.

This staff is putting some veteran pieces in place to help in case of injuries. Solid backups and role players that are afordable. I want to get players out of college and mold them to be Browns. We haven't had a team for awhile, we've had a bunch of players from all over just out there playing. Sometimes the best FAs just don't blend or fit your scheme.

JMHO

We also don't know what their plan is and how far out they are thinking. Taking over a team like this, it's not going to be fixed in a year. They may already be thinking about next years draft and especially next year's FA market. Staying well under the cap this year and get a few FA's that are available next year.

But I also think you build the majority of your team through SOLID drafts. That means finding high quailty players in rounds 4 and 5 as well as 1 and 2.

Woops, not 40yd pass to Braylon, I meant a 50 yd pass to Braylon.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80cb7085

Its at 1:50 in the video... he did it with a torn ligament Quinn haters, not only does he have an arm, but he's tough as nails

More importantly, beginning at 1:00 (our first possession of the clip) look how fast Harrison gets to the edge. I mean it is the Texans, but isn't that Mario Wms' side? RB problem, solved.

More importantly, beginning at 1:00 (our first possession of the clip) look how fast Harrison gets to the edge. I mean it is the Texans, but isn't that Mario Wms' side? RB problem, solved.

I agree with you again Legacy! I think this kid could could be OK.

We have nobody behind Jones, and we don't even have Jones. :) We are weaker at WR than last season. We signed a shitty CB.

I'm down with what you're saying, and we seem to agree that the "Patriot Way" is the way to do things, but this seems like a team TRYING to emulate that philosophy but botching it. This is JMHO.

Later.

I'm just saying you are a full month from the draft. There are trades to be made FAs still to sign and hopefully some more draft picks to acquire. We signed two CBs and Ivy can still play and Poteat needs to prove he can make the team. They have brought in a CB or two for private workouts. They are bringing in a SS for a private workout.

Chill man, you can tell us how shitty we are after the draft.

The guy that went with Anderson is now unemployed.

What does that say?

Hmmmm....lol

My only point last night was to say Quinn is a vet now...he shouldn't need all that much time to settle in if he is good.

I wish him well if he is on the team and selected to be the qb of the Browns.

Woops, not 40yd pass to Braylon, I meant a 50 yd pass to Braylon.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80cb7085

Its at 1:50 in the video... he did it with a torn ligament Quinn haters, not only does he have an arm, but he's tough as nails

which just shows it wasn't the finger that got him benched...it was the decision-making.

thanks for the help making our point PGL. ;)

in Quinn's defense though, that part of the game can still be learned....but not from the sidelines.

it's all up to him now. we shall see.

was he turning the corner or just running for his life to the sidelines?

i agree he has the tools but watch him, every play he takes it out of bounds and generally tries to avoid contact. this was not the best example but it is a big issue w/ this guy. he seems to be a bit of a pussy when it comes to getting those extra couple yards. it's glaring to me, curious how most don't even notice.

What does that say???

And how would we know bq isnt as good as manning?

Ive watched bq play a lot of games at ND and i can tell you he had no line ,RBs or WRs and still made things happen manning on the otherhand had a full package..now enter 2 wasted years because rac was drunk on DAs arm strenth and absolutely blind to DAs weaknesses and a finger injury 2 games into bqs start and we cant honestly say bq is or isnt going to be the franchise savior..

We do know he looked really poised and in control for a bench rookie and he was given the start this year by rac if he were around and that speaks volumes in and of itself..

As for what mankok is doing ballpeen is correct they are looking at every option and possibility and keeping everyone guessing as they explore the possibilities but by training camp i suspect we will still have rogers,bq,da and even butterfingers against what most think..unless there is an offer made for one of them that favors the browns heavily we wont trade any of them but we will trade the qb that doesnt get the start..

Archived