THE BROWNS BOARD

Redskins, Saints, Celtics Indians, etc

But especially the Washington Redskins because they are in the news now. With no insult intended to anyone please think about this question and answer it. Does anyone on either side of this issue believe that the name Redskins was selected for a professional football team in order to insult or denigrate a rase of people or do you find it more likely the that name symbolizes the fierce and noble warriors that they want their football team to emulate?

That's all you need to do.

WSS

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course they never meant to insult anybody.

What sense would it make to alienate a LOT of people who

would have objected?

All this is just a knee-jerk to have a crisis/victim thing going in the left's culture war.

There are a lot of phrases that used to be commonplace, that are now considered racist. We shouldn't those words anymore. Oriental, Colored, N*****, Redskin, etc.

The team name Redskins probably had the intention of a proud warrior. Why would you name your team something you actually thought was insulting? What we thought back then doesn't change what we think now though. If people find it to be an offensive term now, it should probably be changed.

But especially the Washington Redskins because they are in the news now. With no insult intended to anyone please think about this question and answer it. Does anyone on either side of this issue believe that the name Redskins was selected for a professional football team in order to insult or denigrate a rase of people or do you find it more likely the that name symbolizes the fierce and noble warriors that they want their football team to emulate?

WSS

Of course the Redskins name was never meant to be a slur. If the American Indians don't have a problem with the Redskins I don't see why liberals should be up in arms about it.

Poll finds few Indians offended by Washington Redskins name

WASHINGTON (AP) — A poll of American Indians found that an overwhelming majority of them are not bothered by the name of the Washington Redskins.

Only 9% of those polled said the name of the NFL team is "offensive," while 90% said it's acceptable, according to the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, released Friday.

Annenberg polled 768 Indians in every state except Hawaii and Alaska from Oct. 7, 2003, to Sept. 20, 2004.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2004-09-24-redskins-indians-poll_x.htm

Again I think you need to answer the question "so what?".

But just to entertain you yes I am. I was born here.

Now... So what?

WSS

So ur not native America really. Native American refers to people with ancestry predating European immigration. In which case, your opinion on the matter is of no concern. If the poll Die hard posted is indeed correct, than that's that. But otherwise, we can all stfu that ain't native American.

and all please remember that these names were created back when sports wasn't such a big deal as it is now. So naming a team something offensive to a small minority was considered tongue in cheek trolling. Now obviously with so much money involved, no one would dare.

But again, you leave it up to the actual people to decide if they find it offensive. Judging from a position of Caucasian indifference doesn't work anymore. I mean it's just common decency I don't know why it's such a big deal to say "meh, we can change it up"

Was 'redskin' always derogatory? Was N*****, for that matter? If it was a name that was fine at the start, then language and culture evolved and it became an insult, then that's one thing. If it was always derogatory, I don't see why they would have picked it in the first place :s

So ur not native America really. Native American refers to people with ancestry predating European immigration. In which case, your opinion on the matter is of no concern. If the poll Die hard posted is indeed correct, than that's that. But otherwise, we can all stfu that ain't native American.

It does?

Just going out on a limb but I think you are making that up.

WSS

Was 'redskin' always derogatory? Was N*****, for that matter? If it was a name that was fine at the start, then language and culture evolved and it became an insult, then that's one thing. If it was always derogatory, I don't see why they would have picked it in the first place :s

They wouldn't have. Also:

From what I've read, Chris, N***** has always been insulting. It morphed from the word nigra which I assume came from Negro.

WSS

Sure, it's a derivative of negro. I can well believe it was always derogatory, but I don't know the history of it as well as others. Particularly redskin, to be fair, not something I know about.

WSS

You can't really answer a loaded question simply. Of course the name wasn't selected in order to insult otherwise the Redskins would be insulting themselves.

Hell, Washington could have quite easily chosen the Zulu warrior, designed a stupid caricature like Wahoo, and called themselves the Sambos or some shit to "honor" the fierce Zulu, but you could count on it not being around today.

Amid this PC world gone amok, my contention is that if this is some kind of touchy feely liberal "cause", fuck them.

If the majority of Native Americans are OK with it, then I'm OK with it, but If the majority of Native American are not OK with it, are we really that vain to tell them that they are wrong and we are right?

There are a lot of phrases that used to be commonplace, that are now considered racist. We shouldn't those words anymore. Oriental, Colored, N*****, Redskin, etc.

The team name Redskins probably had the intention of a proud warrior. Why would you name your team something you actually thought was insulting? What we thought back then doesn't change what we think now though. If people find it to be an offensive term now, it should probably be changed.

Well context helps. In the context of the time that they named the team, I am sure Native Americans were not that bothered by it because they knew why it was named as such due to the warrior history. Only a small number of people are butthurt because of the name now. I don't think the feds should be using their power over trademarks to punish people who share a differing opinion.

I "think" redskin was always derogatory. The Wahoo caricature was also a form of drawing that was explicitly meant to be offensive from the start. They would draw joos with big noses or blacks with big lips etc, etc. At the time of course white people thought it was funny but it was meant to mock the races that exhibited some of those physical traits and exaggerate the hell out of them. That's why it's offensive. I don't think native americans have a problem with the team name "Indians"...it's just wahoo

Science theorizes that the people you think of as native Americans actually migrated across the bering strait on foot back in the whatever days. So really they're not native to America they're Africans.

By the way the Redskins join the league in 1932 I believe the first slight bit of whining from the left started 40 years later in 1972.

WSS

( and for those of you who wish to base everything on a poll consider that by far most Americans believe in God hence we should be a religious nation, correct?)

WSS

By the way the Redskins join the league in 1932 I believe the first slight bit of whining from the left started 40 years later in 1972.

WSS

( and for those of you who wish to base everything on a poll consider that by far most Americans believe in God hence we should be a religious nation, correct?)

WSS

Not to consider the equal, but black people were probably pretty quiet at one point too. That didn't make it ok.

Also, expand on your point about god. I don't think anyone was saying this should be a majority rule situation.

Science theorizes that the people you think of as native Americans actually migrated across the bering strait on foot back in the whatever days. So really they're not native to America they're Africans.

Yes yes. We're all African.

That being said, I believe they were the first to get here.

WSS

WSS

yeah but which god? and which sect? majority of religious people are catholics so catholic country? The pope can influence internal policies? Is that wut you want?

In any case...the country is becoming less and less "religious". Because people say well I believe in a god, a higher power...doesn't mean they want to live under these clown fuck religious institutions.

Archived