THE BROWNS BOARD

Daniel Defense 7.62 coming out soon - I want one

AR10s (ARs chambered in 7.62x51/.308) have a pretty bad track record for reliability. If anyone could make them run right, it would be Daniel Defense. I am pretty fond of 7.62 NATO.

Yep. They have been testing it for quite awhile. Won't be cheap, but I want one.

I don't mind asking a dumb question....

why 7.62 over 5.56?I swear I saw a comparison, and the 5.56 bullet was a lot bigger than the 7.62...

which left me confused as hell. I'm going to get an AR sometime.........now that I found out that my supplemental insurance to medicare that starts in Dec, will pay

100% for a new artificial knee. When I can slow down long enough ...I don't know.

(and we'll pay about 600 bucks less a month !)

Here is something I'm very interested in: American made ak-47s

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/30/news/companies/kalashnikov-usa/

150630130029-kalashnikov-usa-640x360.jpg

Here is the problem, Kalashnikov is not a licensed trademark. So the actual company that produced Russian AKS for years is called Kalashnikov Concern and is out of Russia. Kalashnikov USA is some random guy making U.S. made AKs. As a general rule, U.S. made AKs are pretty low quality because they try to keep the price down. You don't get chrome lined bores and military quality barrels. You get barrels made by Green Mountain Barrels who use subpar metals and just nitride the bore. They could end up being a quality product but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If I was buying an American made AK, I would look into Definitive Arms or DDI. They tend to use the foreign barrels and the rest are American made parts (receivers, trunnions, trigger parts, etc.).

I don't mind asking a dumb question....

why 7.62 over 5.56?I swear I saw a comparison, and the 5.56 bullet was a lot bigger than the 7.62...

which left me confused as hell. I'm going to get an AR sometime.........now that I found out that my supplemental insurance to medicare that starts in Dec, will pay

100% for a new artificial knee. When I can slow down long enough ...I don't know.

(and we'll pay about 600 bucks less a month !)

7.62 much bigger. It is the same round fired by M-60 Machine gun, the old M14, etc. The milspec 5.56 tumbled and did severe damage to whom ever it hit however.

Here is the problem, Kalashnikov is not a licensed trademark. So the actual company that produced Russian AKS for years is called Kalashnikov Concern and is out of Russia. Kalashnikov USA is some random guy making U.S. made AKs. As a general rule, U.S. made AKs are pretty low quality because they try to keep the price down. You don't get chrome lined bores and military quality barrels. You get barrels made by Green Mountain Barrels who use subpar metals and just nitride the bore. They could end up being a quality product but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If I was buying an American made AK, I would look into Definitive Arms or DDI. They tend to use the foreign barrels and the rest are American made parts (receivers, trunnions, trigger parts, etc.).

To be fair Russian and Chinese made ak-47's aren't exactly known for their top notch materials are they?

Okay, what I saw was a picture with a misprint - list out of order.

I was like "what the...hell?" Glad I didn't ask that at a local gun shop.

If I ever was to go hunt elk in Montana etc... I'd go for the 7.62.

Hopefully, the 5.56 doesn't rattle peoples' windows. we have 28 acres...

and there's no elk in Ohio.

Although.... the big wild boar....maybe the 7.62 would be a better choice.

Right now, I'm good with hunting the stupid groundhogs all over the place. and the neighbors

built their stupid home back there and cut off one of my safe angles.

I go out there, and I'm living Caddyshack, where he has the gopher laughing at him.... dammit.

Okay, what I saw was a picture with a misprint - list out of order.

I was like "what the...hell?" Glad I didn't ask that at a local gun shop.

If I ever was to go hunt elk in Montana etc... I'd go for the 7.62.

Hopefully, the 5.56 doesn't rattle peoples' windows. we have 28 acres...

and there's no elk in Ohio.

Although.... the big wild boar....maybe the 7.62 would be a better choice.

Right now, I'm good with hunting the stupid groundhogs all over the place. and the neighbors

built their stupid home back there and cut off one of my safe angles.

I go out there, and I'm living Caddyshack, where he has the gopher laughing at him.... dammit.

5.56 would be more than enough for wild boar. I have bagged quite a few on private property.

I'm not sure but I don't think 5.56 or 7.62 is legal for hunting in ohio.

They are not legal in Ohio.

These are allowed for deer hunting

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

Despite it being gimmicky as hell, I'm really interested in the CMMG mutant. 7.62x39 (ak round) in an AR platform. Haven't shot one yet but it would be an awesome hog gun (wild boar). Appears to have the reliability of an AK with the modularity of our beloved AR's. Agreed with Logic that the AR-10's are plagued with reliability issues, and if I'm firing long range shots with the .308/7.62x51 then I'm rolling the bolt first or pulling out the 300 win mag.

logic - why do you say Green Mountain barrels are cheap? I've shot them in muzzleloaders and in that application they are top notch.

Also, I have shot WASRs, semi Auto AKs brought in in the 1980s and pre clinton ban 90s, and now a friends DDI "AK" and as far as accuracy the DDI outshoots everything else, accuracy wise.

Of course, in the same caliber I have found that the Romanian versions of SKSs were much more accurate than the com-block aks, and a lot less expensive.

another dumb question...

I figure I'd want the 7.62 for hunting long distance game,

but for wild boar, or bear, under 200 yrds whatever, if I ever did hunt those,

would a 5.56 do the job?

I really have to get myself one. I need a coyote blaster.

well, for the most part, we don't have wild boar anyways.

I figure you'd have to go to Arkansas, etc.

There are black bear in Ohio, but I don't think bear would taste good.

I want to try alligator. And rattlesnake.

logic - why do you say Green Mountain barrels are cheap? I've shot them in muzzleloaders and in that application they are top notch.

Also, I have shot WASRs, semi Auto AKs brought in in the 1980s and pre clinton ban 90s, and now a friends DDI "AK" and as far as accuracy the DDI outshoots everything else, accuracy wise.

Of course, in the same caliber I have found that the Romanian versions of SKSs were much more accurate than the com-block aks, and a lot less expensive.

The Green Mountain barrels are fine for muzzleloaders but are no good when you put a lot of rounds down them with AKs.

I have yet to shoot a DDI so they may be fine. American AKs just have an earned bad reputation. I fire a large volume of rounds a year and so having a nice chromelined bore is my preference.

Also, when shooting AKs, I don't expect anything better than 3-4 inch groups. They are not marksman rifles. They give you good enough accuracy and fantastic reliability. WASRs are a mixed bag. You can have a decent one or a real turd.

Archived