THE BROWNS BOARD

Big Man Kicking Contest

MLD Woody

Yes I've read the thread. Yes I understand where it started in the NFL.

What is a "soccer kicker" to you? I'm guessing most people from Europe grew up with some idea of how to kick. I'm asking how this was never picked up by the NFL sooner, since you get more power and are more accurate. It sounds like it was just ignorance that slowed that change.

Nobody cared about soccer, nobody watched soccer, nobody played soccer. Why are you being obtuse about this?

Nobody cared about soccer, nobody watched soccer, nobody played soccer. Why are you being obtuse about this?

I don't think you're following...

I've agreed with your above statement multiple fucking times. Keep up. I am talking about people from other countries, that did care about soccer, that could have shared their knowledge of how to properly kick a ball. And shit, its not like no one in the entire US had ever heard of soccer at the time...

I don't think you're following...

I've agreed with your above statement multiple fucking times. Keep up. I am talking about people from other countries, that did care about soccer, that could have shared their knowledge of how to properly kick a ball. And shit, its not like no one in the entire US had ever heard of soccer at the time...

I follow fine....you are just being purposely ignorant apparently. No one did it that way, no one wanted to do it that way, maybe no one thought about trying it that way until the Gogolaks came along. The game of football was doing fine for a hundred years without doing it that way. When the Gogolaks came along then it started a trend. That is the way it is. There are a lot of things done in football now a certain way that were not done then. Like the helmets and pads. etc. Here, you can read all about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

Holy shit this is getting annoying...

I've repeatedly said I understand and agree that kicking used to not be like it is today, and that at one point it changed. I've agreed that no one from the US cared about soccer. I get that.

Kicking it soccer style is objectively better, agree?

If it is better there is a competitive edge gained, agree?

Coaches will do whatever they can to gain an edge, agree?

People from Europe, that knew the sport of soccer (and this method of kicking existed in the US. Also, some people from the US were probably at least aware of the sport. Correct?

My question is why it took so long to adopt this method of kicking. It seems like everything was in place, the knowledge was there, but no one thought it through until it was shoved in their face. Some coach back then could have had the foresight to make the change.

That is what I am saying. That is what I have been saying since the beginning. Please stop attacking straw men and posting old soccer video without any context.

Your making this so much harder than it has to be(as usual).....it's not as if there was a conspiracy to avoid soccer style kickers..and I dont think coaches were actively seeking a new kicking style.....They were simply looking for kickers who could put it through the uprights....so, why would a coach decide(on his own) that some guy playing soccer in the UK has a better chance than a guy here who has been kicking a foorball his whole life?

nor do I think Soccer players were seeking to play in the NFL at the time......why?....probably cause they liked soccer better and had a better chance at higher earnings in their sport of choice.........so, why would a guy in England, who loves and gets paid to play soccer, suddenly decide to leave his home & country to go play a game he doesnt even like or understand....makes no sense,,,,(at all)

....like I said wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the thread.....the change happened when coaches started recruiting soccer players in HS and College.....and it just evolved from there.....and as millions of kids started playing soccer here, the number of "soccer style kickers" in the USA grew by the millions too....making the pool of soccer style kicker the larger one(maybe by the late 70's or early 80's)....

Coaches dont really care "how" a player kicks.....they only care who kicks best.....and when soccer style kickers started showing up, they got the job.....simple....

Holy shit this is getting annoying...

No, YOU are getting annoying.

I've repeatedly said I understand and agree that kicking used to not be like it is today, and that at one point it changed. I've agreed that no one from the US cared about soccer. I get that.

Then WHAT THE FUCK are we talking about? I am not even bothering with the rest of your post because it will only be more of your ignorance about the past.

I mean, its like you are asking: Why didn't US Grant just send the Air Force to bomb Richmond and win the Civil War?

Kicking it soccer style is objectively better, agree?

If it is better there is a competitive edge gained, agree?

Coaches will do whatever they can to gain an edge, agree?

People from Europe, that knew the sport of soccer (and this method of kicking existed in the US. Also, some people from the US were probably at least aware of the sport. Correct?

My question is why it took so long to adopt this method of kicking. It seems like everything was in place, the knowledge was there, but no one thought it through until it was shoved in their face. Some coach back then could have had the foresight to make the change.

That is what I am saying. That is what I have been saying since the beginning. Please stop attacking straw men and posting old soccer video without any context.

Your making this so much harder than it has to be(as usual).....it's not as if there was a conspiracy to avoid soccer style kickers..and I dont think coaches were actively seeking a new kicking style.....They were simply looking for kickers who could put it through the uprights....so, why would a coach decide(on his own) that some guy playing soccer in the UK has a better chance than a guy here who has been kicking a foorball his whole life?

nor do I think Soccer players were seeking to play in the NFL at the time......why?....probably cause they liked soccer better and had a better chance at higher earnings in their sport of choice.........so, why would a guy in England, who loves and gets paid to play soccer, suddenly decide to leave his home & country to go play a game he doesnt even like or understand....makes no sense,,,,(at all)

....like I said wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the thread.....the change happened when coaches started recruiting soccer players in HS and College.....and it just evolved from there.....and as millions of kids started playing soccer here, the number of "soccer style kickers" in the USA grew by the millions too....making the pool of soccer style kicker the larger one(maybe by the late 70's or early 80's)....

Coaches dont really care "how" a player kicks.....they only care who kicks best.....and when soccer style kickers started showing up, they got the job.....simple....

I don't think there was any conspiracy....

Soccer style kicking is objectively better. People were aware of soccer. Coaches want a competitive edge. I'm not expecting them to go to Europe and find kickers, but I could see them trying to get someone to teach the kicker how to kick. If that seemed to difficult to accomplish though, I could see them just saying fuck it and keep using toe kickers due to the simpler technique.

I'm just surprised there wasn't any kind of internal push for it. The NFL had to wait until the results were shoved in their face.

Please don't join the Gipper School of Strawmen. It is hard to keep one concise point going when I need to constantly defend myself from things I never said

I don't think there was any conspiracy....

Soccer style kicking is objectively better. People were aware of soccer. Coaches want a competitive edge. I'm not expecting them to go to Europe and find kickers, but I could see them trying to get someone to teach the kicker how to kick. If that seemed to difficult to accomplish though, I could see them just saying fuck it and keep using toe kickers due to the simpler technique.

I'm just surprised there wasn't any kind of internal push for it. The NFL had to wait until the results were shoved in their face.

Please don't join the Gipper School of Strawmen. It is hard to keep one concise point going when I need to constantly defend myself from things I never said

Next you are going to ask why Leonidas didn't use uzis to mow down the Persians at the battle of Thermopolae.

This is like asking why rugby-style punters weren't utilized more than currently.. Why didn't information spread faster around the world back then? Friends, that was before the Internet.

Ohio State's current punter Cam Johnston was an Australian Rules rugby player.. following in the footsteps of Chargers great Darren Bennett, the first All-Pro Australian rules football player in the NFL.

Who was the last straight-on kicker? Mark Moseley - 12 years with the Redskins, but retired a Brown.. who kicked 2 FG's earlier in the game before The Drive.

This is like asking why rugby-style punters weren't utilized more than currently.. Why didn't information spread faster around the world back then? Friends, that was before the Internet.

Ohio State's current punter Cam Johnston was an Australian Rules rugby player.. following in the footsteps of Chargers great Darren Bennett, the first All-Pro Australian rules football player in the NFL.

Who was the last straight-on kicker? Mark Moseley - 12 years with the Redskins, but retired a Brown.. who kicked 2 FG's earlier in the game before The Drive.

Yep, Michigan picked up an Australian rugby style punter.

OSU also had an MLS player kick for them a few years ago. It worked out very well.

Archived