THE BROWNS BOARD

Meanwhile Around the AFCN...

Tour2ma

Thought we might want to keep track of our AFCN competition. How they are looking, injuries, etc. Please chip in any observations or updates you have.

This thread also affords some of our "guests" to actually contribute something...

Anyway I watched at least the first half of each team's games this week. Here are my thoughts...

Bengals vs. NYG

• Surprised me, but Cinci was easily the most impressive team this week. Only one I saw where the 1's dominated on both sides of the ball... and the 2's weren't far behind.
  • Dalton played like he was pissed off. The team's flawless opening drive was highlighted by his gorgeous strike to AJ Green thrown on a bootleg right. Hill ran hard. Marvin Jones is back. Even Little made a great catch...
  • On D Atkins played like he did before his knee. He was unblockable.
  • Injury-wise the team went into the game a little dinged and came out a little worse with Dennard (CB) pulling a groin and back-up RB, Peerman going down with a knee. Among those who did not play were: LBs Sean Porter and Vontaze Burfict (PUP) and OT Cedric Ogbuehi (NFI List).

Ravens vs. NO

• Offensively the Ravens looked good, especially passing. Problem is that it looks like they are going to need to be great to win this year and it's hard to see them having the horses on their roster to be great... at least not consistently.
  • Defensively they looked like Raven impersonators... especially considering Brees sat this one out. Given the off-season and pre-season losses on the D-side shouldn't be too surprised. With Ngata in DET and Matt Elam likely lost for the year with a torn bicep their once formidable middle is gone.
  • Some of their press is also decrying the loss of Brent Urban to another torn bicep. Who you ask? Me, too... turns out he's a 4th rounder from 2014 who missed all last season with an ACL. I feel for the guy, but if he is the difference in your season, then you need to move to another division.

Steelers vs. JAX

• Offensively these guys are scary... at least their starters are. If healthy for 16, then they should give the Pack a run for top offense. I would definitely take the "Over" for the year...
  • Defensively they're spotty and supposedly sporting a new emphasis on zone coverage. Hard to see that working with no consistent pass rush in sight. Highlights are Heyward on the line, and Shazier and Timmons (a late scratch) in the LB corps.
  • Injury-wise I think all have heard about Suisham's HOF ACL. Otherwise they seem to be pretty healthy with a nick here and a strain there, but nothing serious.

I don't think you can appropriately evaluate any defense in the preseason as its vanilla across the board. The steelers are moving to more cover two with a one gap on the dline rather than 2. Also allowing our defensive line to rush the passer. Butler has been running exotic blitzes at training camp but I have yet to see one in either preseason game.

Thanks, war...

I don't think you can appropriately evaluate any defense in the preseason as its vanilla across the board. The steelers are moving to more cover two with a one gap on the dline rather than 2. Also allowing our defensive line to rush the passer. Butler has been running exotic blitzes at training camp but I have yet to see one in either preseason game.

Just a first take, Vag, but I can argue that "vanilla" schemes mean you get a better evaluation of individual talent. Pretty clear that your team's strength is now firmly on the side of the ball where we are not used to seeing it in Pittsburgh.

Pretty clear that your team's strength is now firmly on the side of the ball where we are not used to seeing it in Pittsburgh.

yep....Im expecting the Stoolers to be in a lot of high scoring 60 pointish kinda games....they're shooting for 30 a game, but gotta hope they dont give up 31......

Ravens to drop off and look average this year....

Bengals to finally....almost....be really good and look like they're gonna stomp ya....but then.....Andy Dalton.

And the upstart Browns will SHOCK THE WORLD and win the division......

I hear you...

It was only one series, but Dalton actually shocked me with how crisp his throws were.

Had to remind myself it is only pre-season...

I hear you...It was only one series....Had to remind myself it is only pre-season...

Ha....exactly.....just wait till it counts......;)

heck....he may even stay crisp and win bunch of games...and make the playoffs..... but then.....Andy Dalton.

I hear you...

It was only one series, but Dalton actually shocked me with how crisp his throws were.

Had to remind myself it is only pre-season...

Dalton can be impressive as hell.....but he is the little girl with the curl, when he is good he is very good, but when he is bad he is horrid.

Thanks, war...

Just a first take, Vag, but I can argue that "vanilla" schemes mean you get a better evaluation of individual talent. Pretty clear that your team's strength is now firmly on the side of the ball where we are not used to seeing it in Pittsburgh.

Brownies proved that wrong last year. In pre-season our defense looked very stout.

Thanks, war...

Preseason games are for evaluating and starters at this stage hardly play. Defenses are infinitely more complex in the regular season and with the Steeler defense being seated in a lot of different blitz looks its impossible to evaluate regular season performance.

Archived