THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Draft Strategy beginning in 2016

jcam222

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't trade up from 20ish to what it would take to get Bosa. Not worth it. Hall is probably not a 3-4 guy.

Plus....drafting DL first....3 years straight.....probably wouldnt be a good plan......???

Thinking well have plenty more pressing needs than DT.....

No love for Hartline? He has the makings of McCown's 2015 security blanket...

Bowe is a question and Moore is not prime WR material, but we can't play enough WRs at once to get to him... or Lenz...

My bad on Hartline- but I think some fans are over rating him. Was last year an aberration, or the start of a trend? Miami found him expendable. Looking at Bowe's career stats, well- I have a bad feeling about this one. http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/roster/Dwayne-Bowe/f1dd6831-7798-4a66-a273-06849532c058

I wouldn't trade up from 20ish to what it would take to get Bosa. Not worth it. Hall is probably not a 3-4 guy.

Bosa replicates his 2014 performance, and he's a lock top 5 pick.

FTR none of the guys mentioned are DTs.

I guess for me thats just semantics, as we run a 3-4......and that pretty much means we have all DT's on our line and the OLB's are really our DE's....if that makes sense.....

So, 3 outta 4 of our DE's....Hughes, Starks & Winn are converted Tackles.....with tackle skills, size, bulk, etc.....

And the only "true" DE's weve had recently were D. Bryant, Jabaal Sheard and Armonty....and 2 of em were/are converted to LB.....and the other one added 30 lbs to bulk up and fit the DT mold......

So....in summary..... if we drafted these guys, they would asked to fit the mold(size and play) of your standard DT..(in a 3-4)....or asked to move to LB....because our system just isnt suited for your tradition DE......

Saw today that Todd McShay's first draft top 32 for 2016 has Cardale Jones @ #19. That would give the Browns a legit shot if it held up.

Link?

Nevermind, found it:

Todd McShay's top 32 for the 2016 NFL draft

1. Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

2. Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida

3. Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss

4. Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State

5. Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

6. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

7. Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska

8. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

9. Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State

10. Jared Goff, QB, California

11. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

12. Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

13. Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

14. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

15. Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

16. Ezekel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

17. Leonard Floyd, LB, Georgia

18. Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

19. Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State

20. Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State

21. Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama

22. Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

23. Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State

24. Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville

25. Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

26. Su'a Cravens, S, USC

27. Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

28. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

29. Antonio Morrison, LB, Florida

30. Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State

31. Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

32. Anthony Zettel, DL, Penn State

Would that like be a record for 6 players from one school to be taken in Round 1?

I will try to check.

I couldn't find it specifically what the record is....but I suspect that the 6 Miami Hurricanes drafted in 2004 is probably the record:

Sean Taylor

Kellen Winslow II

Jonathan Vilma

DJ Williams

Vernon Carey

Vince Wilfork

The OSU group, if it happened would only tie that.

(Didn't all those guys play on the team that OSU beat in 2002?)

Edit: That Miami team that OSU beat also had 4 other First rounders on it:

Andre Johnson

Jerome McDougle

William McGahee

William Joseph.

Quite a talented team.

Per PFRs Career Average stat, the following are the best players drafted from Ohio St (at least going back to the 50s/60s):

1. Paul Warfield

2. Orlando Pace

3. Chris Carter

4. Jim Tyrer

5. Randy Gradishar

6. Eddie George

7. Joey Galloway

8. Jim Lachey

9. Pepper Johnson

10. Chris Spielman

Per PFRs Career Average stat, the following are the best players drafted from Ohio St (at least going back to the 50s/60s):

1. Paul Warfield

2. Orlando Pace

3. Chris Carter

4. Jim Tyrer

5. Randy Gradishar

6. Eddie George

7. Joey Galloway

8. Jim Lachey

9. Pepper Johnson

10. Chris Spielman

Groza, Lavelli and Willis probably were undrafted and/or before this stat was applied, eh?

Zombo

Saw today that Todd McShay's first draft top 32 for 2016 has Cardale Jones @ #19. That would give the Browns a legit shot if it held up.

Not seeing much chance of that based upon game 1. Kid doesn't act like he has a pulse.

I have no faith in McCown. Can't see him lasting long.

He's not supposed to last long...

• 4 weeks later...

I think I would move Derrick Henry past Elliott as the top RB. At 6'3" 242 lbs. with power and speed he could help our running game set up the play action and get the tough yards inside.

EzE is the superior pass catcher and off ball player. In today's NFL, that means a lot.

I think I would move Derrick Henry past Elliott as the top RB. At 6'3" 242 lbs. with power and speed he could help our running game set up the play action and get the tough yards inside.

Not wanting to rule him out right away, but the Browns didn't have the best luck with the last RB we took from Bama....

Add Malcolm Johnson and Bowe to that list lol!

Id probably take Elliot over Henry too. Henry looks a step slow. Destined for "plodder" status in the NFL after his initial shine wears off. He hasn't done a ton this year either but then, I realize they're asking him to play a limited role.

Archived