THE BROWNS BOARD

Offensive Holding: New Point of Emphasis?

jrb12711

The Browns as we all know got called for several holding penalties on the line that were IMO "close". I can't argue by definition most were holding but were the type of calls you could make on 90% of plays in the NFL. It peeved me off, but watching a few more games over the weekend and last night I noticed a trend-TONS of offensive holding calls. In the ATL game and the little bit of the SF game I saw there must have been 10+ offensive holding called with very similar vibes to the ones called against Cleveland: flag by definition but not often called. I'm curious what you all think about it and if saw that too, because the ones called back against Cleveland were huge determinants in the game on Sunday.

Watching the Falcons game it was obvious. They called holding on 3 straight wr screens. Even Gruden was wondering what was going on

Watching the Falcons game it was obvious. They called holding on 3 straight wr screens. Even Gruden was wondering what was going on

Yeah I'm glad it wasn't just me seeing that, it was crazy the amount I saw in that game in particular too. There were just a bunch of head scratches over the weekend to me and it really seemed like the refs were keen to look for it.

Yep.....felt the same thing while watching that Atl - Philly game......kind of reminds me of the first few games last season, where they were flagging every CB on every play....really, all the flags are brutal and taking away from the game.....

Something has to be wrong with some refs.

What's up with "they could call holding on every play" ?

So, leave it up to the refs to decide when they WILL call it?

And, again, if you watch the ratbird db pull a receiver, from in back of him, with his hand

on the front of his shoulder,neck, and turn him a bit from the ball... NO CALL ?

But Haden gets a call on him, because he just had his hand on the reciever's waist.

We've seen this garbage too many times.

So many of the OL cave-ins that JM salvaged with his runs got called for holding that I lost track of how many first downs we gave back. I just could not see blatant holding, but maybe bias creeps in. I do know they were all drive killers and made the O more desperate.

So many of the OL cave-ins that JM salvaged with his runs got called for holding that I lost track of how many first downs we gave back. I just could not see blatant holding, but maybe bias creeps in. I do know they were all drive killers and made the O more desperate.

Gruden said last night that the coaches for Philly must have alerted them to the holds on WR screens (which they were called on at least 3-4 times). I'm guessing the Jets did that too and it obviously worked. It's petty but hell if it works the Browns better be doing that too.

A lot of those last nite were true, high-quality holds IMO...

In general I think there's a combination of impact on the play and obviousness that are considered when a holding flag is being considered.

Just started grading Game 1... took forever to get thru our drive #1... I am rusty. Anyway no holds were called on us in that drive, but I saw two that could've been... a near head-lock by JT and a nice tackle by Bito.

Other calls... yeah the Alonso call should not have been made. Letter of the law? Maybe, but zero impact on the play and dubious impact on the Falcon TE to boot. Would have taken balls and seriously pissed off Atlanta, but should have picked up and eaten that flag.

Of the egregious non-calls... the one where the Vikes' WR Wallace had his left arm raked down by a diving SF DB in the endzone had to be close to the top of any list.

Either there has to be a fast review process for penalties or we have accept a significant percentage of bad calls/non-calls.

Roger Goodell has got to go! The game is horrible! The refs Stink and Jon Gruden is the only one who says anything.

Every year it gets worse. Goodell looks at covering his ass and the bottom line.

Emphasis last year CB. Emphasis this year Holding. It's always something with these zebras till you send them to the zoo or Exotic Farm. Ed Hock u sleez a got your retirement home ;):P

Roger Goodell has got to go! The game is horrible! The refs Stink and Jon Gruden is the only one who says anything.

Every year it gets worse. Goodell looks at covering his ass and the bottom line.

On-field ain't Roger, Opal... it's the "Competition Committee" that refers rule changes and points of emphasis to the full complement of owners at their annual meeting(s).

A lot of those last nite were true, high-quality holds IMO...

In general I think there's a combination of impact on the play and obviousness that are considered when a holding flag is being considered.

Just started grading Game 1... took forever to get thru our drive #1... I am rusty. Anyway no holds were called on us in that drive, but I saw two that could've been... a near head-lock by JT and a nice tackle by Bito.

Other calls... yeah the Alonso call should not have been made. Letter of the law? Maybe, but zero impact on the play and dubious impact on the Falcon TE to boot. Would have taken balls and seriously pissed off Atlanta, but should have picked up and eaten that flag.

Of the egregious non-calls... the one where the Vikes' WR Wallace had his left arm raked down by a diving SF DB in the endzone had to be close to the top of any list.

Either there has to be a fast review process for penalties or we have accept a significant percentage of bad calls/non-calls.

Interesting, I'll look forward to seeing your grades.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd bring this back up as I'm reading some data on how this has panned out through three weeks. As of week 3 in 2015, 154 offensive holding calls have been accepted: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13770733/record-730-penalties-accepted-week-3

That's compared to 122 accepted through 3 weeks in 2014: http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/offensive-holding?year=2014&view=week

That's a hair under 21% increased through the first three weeks on offensive holding alone. Also of note 730 penalties accepted is a new record this year.

I thought I'd bring this back up as I'm reading some data on how this has panned out through three weeks. As of week 3 in 2015, 154 offensive holding calls have been accepted: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13770733/record-730-penalties-accepted-week-3

That's compared to 122 accepted through 3 weeks in 2014: http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/offensive-holding?year=2014&view=week

That's a hair under 21% increased through the first three weeks on offensive holding alone. Also of note 730 penalties accepted is a new record this year.

They just can't play the game any more. And what I think is worse is how every catch is now over analyzed and every friggin' fumble is analyzed. A guy could be going down to the ground,while still holding onto the ball, but if there is any ball movement at all, then the ball is coming out and it's a fumble. But they don't look as to "why" the ball is coming out. Maybe the player is moving it due to natural body motion. And then "WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE RULE... THE GROUND CAN'T CAUSE A FUMBLE"?! You don't hear that from Mike Carey or the other former referee.

For catches, it used to be, did you have two feet in bounds, and that is all that mattered. You could be juggling the ball like a 2 AM whore but as long as your feet were in and you never dropped the ball it was a catch. Now we have to watch a replay from 5 different angles and if there is any ball movement that can possibly be perceived as "not having control" before you go out of bounds, then it's not a catch.

And don't get me started on QB's and whether the arm was moving forward or not when there is a possible fumble. I don't care if the QB's arm was 90% of the way through the throwing motion; if the ball get's knocked out of his hand, it's a god damn fumble. Only when the QB releases the ball voluntarily is it a pass. The whole, "the arm was going forward" is bull butter. What if the QB was pump faking? What if he was actually going to pull it back in?

I think the NFL is starting to get refs from the NBA...makes the game so hard to watch, especially when they call fouls on plays where the foul had no bearing on the play.

Archived