THE BROWNS BOARD

Change is coming in Browns offense

NewEraDawg

Posted Mar 26, 2009 @ 08:50 PMLast update Mar 27, 2009 @ 09:27 AM

Inexplicably, just a year after dressing for success, Cleveland’s offense became rumpled beyond repair in 2008. After the Browns ranked 31st in net offense, beating only the Bengals, General Manager Phil Savage and Head Coach Romeo Crennel lost their shirts.

With Eric Mangini now the head coach and appearing to wear the pants in the organization, mystery reigns as to who will get his hands on the football in 2009.

This seems certain as Mangini and General Manager George Kokinis get their ducks in a row four weeks out from the draft:

The offense may not look better, but it will look different.

Million-dollar questions abound at all of the ball-handling positions.

The new leadership team of Head Coach Eric Mangini and General Manager George Kokinis will shake things up on the Browns offense.

Mangini is making few promises as to whose job is safe heading into spring practice. What the Browns do leading up to and in next month’s draft will go a long way toward clarifying what Mangini and Kokinis are thinking.

Here’s a look at four positions that seemed strong after 2007 but are big question marks now:

Quarterback

OVERVIEW The Browns have awarded No. 1 quarterback jobs to Tim Couch in 2002, Kelly Holcomb in 2003, Jeff Garcia in 2004, Trent Dilfer in 2005, Charlie Frye in 2006, Derek Anderson in 2007 and Brady Quinn midway through 2008. That’s incredible. It could get more incredible. Mangini has done a good job making everyone wonder what he really thinks of Quinn and Anderson— and whether either will be his man.

CHANGES MADE No. 3 quarterback Ken Dorsey was cut.

CHANGE ON THE WAY A Tom Brady tribute pick, perhaps in the sixth round, is a good bet. But former Browns scout Russ Lande is betting much more boldly. In a Sporting News article this week, Lande predicts the Browns will spend the No. 5 overall pick on Georgia QB Matt Stafford. Of course, that could be someone feeding Lande a line, in case Stafford is still on the board when the Browns pick, and they want to dangle the QB as trade bait. Trading for Denver’s Jay Cutler is possible. Quinn and Denver Head Coach Josh McDaniels shape up as a perfect personality match.

Running back

OVERVIEW Jamal Lewis regressed from 2007 to 2008 in rushing yards (1,304 to 1,002), yards per carry (4.4 to 3.6) and touchdowns (9 to 4). With 2,399 carries behind him, the end seems just ahead. Jerome Harrison can look electric, but he carried only 34 times in 2008.

CHANGES MADE Jason Wright left for Arizona. Noah Herron, who hasn’t touched the ball in a real NFL game since 2006, was signed.

CHANGE ON THE WAY Ohio State Head Coach Jim Tressel calls Chris “Beanie” Wells a “difference-maker” who would be a “special player” for the Browns, but few analysts see Wells as worthy of a No. 5 overall pick. The second round has been fertile ground for finding impact backs in the draft. Recent hits: Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, LenDale White, Clinton Portis. Rice gave Kokinis’ former team, Baltimore, 154 rushing yards Nov. 2 at Cleveland. The Browns own a No. 50 overall draft pick. Iowa RB Shonn Greene is Sporting News’ 50th-ranked player.

Wide receiver

OVERVIEW Braylon Edwards’ consistently poor production — 27.8-yard receiving average in his 10 worst games — is alarming for a No. 1 receiver. Syndric Steptoe outgained Donté Stallworth, 182-170, in 2008 receiving yards, but that is the least of Stallworth’s current worries. Paul Hubbard’s development was wasted when he spent his rookie year on the bench.

CHANGES MADE One 34-year-old (Joe Jurevicius) was cut and another (David Patten) was signed. Patten was hurt last year but had a 54-catch, 792-yard year for the Saints in 2007.

CHANGE ON THE WAY If Edwards is traded, the Browns would add to a first-day draft stockpile that already includes the No. 5, No. 36 and No. 50 overall picks. Even if Edwards stays, spending a high pick on a wideout is likely but risky. The Browns picked wideouts in Round 2 four straight years (1999-2002) without striking gold.

Tight end

OVERVIEW New Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll grew up with the Patriots, who have drafted 10 tight ends this decade. Steve Heiden is a strong role player in any system but is going on 33. No one knows if 2008 Round 4 pick Martin Rucker, a nonentity in 2008, can emerge in a new offense.

CHANGES MADE Kellen Winslow Jr. was traded to Tampa Bay for a Round 2 pick. Free-agent pick-up Robert Royal brings a blocking component Winslow lacked. The bad news: In 2007, Winslow racked up 1,106 receiving yards. In seven NFL seasons, Royal has 1,081. Darnell Dinkins left in free agency.

CHANGE ON THE WAY The big issue likely will be how the roles of Royal, Heiden and Rucker are structured. Given the team’s assorted needs elsewhere, any draft pick spent on a tight end figures to be a late one. It should be noted that Mangini’s previous team, the Jets, spent a No. 30 overall pick on Purdue tight end Dustin Keller in last year’s draft. Keller caught 48 passes for 535 yards.

Draft goodies

Offensive skill players who could alter the face of the Browns’ offense:

• n Georgia QB Matt Stafford. Ex-Browns scout Russ Lande sees Cleveland picking him at No. 5.

• Ohio State RB Chris Wells. A reach at No. 5? Jim Tressel says the Browns wouldn’t be sorry.

• Pitt RB LeSean McCoy. Might be the next Tony Dorsett, says Tony Dorsett. Might drop to Round 2.

• Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree. If Braylon Edwards is traded, No. 1 wideout becomes a screaming need.

• Ohio State WR Brian Robiskie. Tall, polished Round 2 prospect made stopwatches sing at Pro Day.

• Florida TE Cornelius Ingram. Pro Football Weekly’s No. 40 prospect might appeal to Browns at No. 50.

Very thought provoking article NewDawg, but I have a little differenct take.

1. I believe the QB situation is stable and even if they can't trade Anderson the Browns will bring in a QB like Hoyer to groom as a backup to Quinn.

2. I don't believe RB is their biggest need and even if they don't suppliment the position with another RB this year they will be okay. I don't believe Lewis regressed last year as much as I believe the offensive line did. Also because there was no second option at WR most teams played 8 in the box and dared the Browns to beat them passing. They tried to take the run away and did fairly well at it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Donal;d Brown in the second round but I think we need a Alex Mack or Wood before a RB.

3. With or without Edwards, the WR position needs upgraded. Patton will do well in the slot but the team needs a WR opposite Edwards that can stretch the field and keep teams honest. So, even with Edwards, we need to look at drafting a WR. The Stallworth situation is keeping this position up in the air.

4. Forget TE. I believe they have what they need. Two blocking TEs that are good dump off receivers. They also have a work in progress in Rucker.

Unless we aquire more first day picks and because of big needs at OLB and SS on defense, therre isn't enough to completely fix this offense. So, Center and WR are 1 and 2 needs for me, but I sure would love to be able to pick a RB. We have 3 weeks until the draft and much can happen. Trades, FA and trading down with that #5 pick. They could change the priorities of the draft. I would love to some day get to the position of taking the best player available instead of picking for need.

1. I believe the QB situation is stable and even if they can't trade Anderson the Browns will bring in a QB like Hoyer to groom as a backup to Quinn.

2. I don't believe RB is their biggest need and even if they don't suppliment the position with another RB this year they will be okay. I don't believe Lewis regressed last year as much as I believe the offensive line did. Also because there was no second option at WR most teams played 8 in the box and dared the Browns to beat them passing. They tried to take the run away and did fairly well at it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Donal;d Brown in the second round but I think we need a Alex Mack or Wood before a RB.

3. With or without Edwards, the WR position needs upgraded. Patton will do well in the slot but the team needs a WR opposite Edwards that can stretch the field and keep teams honest. So, even with Edwards, we need to look at drafting a WR. The Stallworth situation is keeping this position up in the air.

4. Forget TE. I believe they have what they need. Two blocking TEs that are good dump off receivers. They also have a work in progress in Rucker.

Unless we aquire more first day picks and because of big needs at OLB and SS on defense, therre isn't enough to completely fix this offense. So, Center and WR are 1 and 2 needs for me, but I sure would love to be able to pick a RB. We have 3 weeks until the draft and much can happen. Trades, FA and trading down with that #5 pick. They could change the priorities of the draft. I would love to some day get to the position of taking the best player available instead of picking for need.

Nice article..

I agree with ytown on all 4 points he makes but with the new regime i have no idea who or even what position we will fill at #5 its kind of intrigueing the one thing we dont need at #5 is a QB that would be a waste imo...

Sh--t would hit the goddamn fan if we traded Quinn or drafted Stafford. I can't even begin to imagine the fallout.

I agree. I don't think this is a rebuilding process, it's a reload. There are lots of needs but there is a basic core in place and I think QB is the least of their worries.

If they go with Quinn and it doesn't work out, then, yes, I can see next year looking for a franchise QB. But, if more parts are put in place, I don't see Quinn as the reason for a team failure.

When you are missing skill players on offense that make you one demensional, then you can be shut down and it really isn't on the QB. Without a pair of WRs teams can double Edwards and load up the box and take the running game away. You have to have at least two WRs that can keep defenses honest. I don't think Steptoe or Patton can command enough attention to keep defenses honest. If teams can take away the running game it doesn't matter if Quinn or Anderson or even Cutler would be at QB.

Mangini wants to run the ball, so I can see him selecting a Center in round 2 but I hope the Stallworth situation will resolve itself so the WR position can be solidified. I'd love to see a trade down so they could select a RB in round 2 also.

Guest Masters
I want to see the quote where Tressel said the Browns wouldn't be sorry....That doesn't even sound like something Tressel would say. It's not his verbage.

The article never claimed he said that. It says "Ohio State Head Coach Jim Tressel calls Chris “Beanie” Wells a “difference-maker” who would be a “special player” . That's it.

Guest Masters
From who??

Fans and all forms of media that covers football. It just doesn't make sense. Not with a 1st rounder who has seen the field in 3 games.

I really don't think this staff is gonna move either QB until they get through some camps and the staff can get a real look at each guy.

Wel.....I do know from who....but the real point is I don't think the staff really cares what the fans think.

Having a popular figure but losing games isn't going to help them any.

That isn't to say Quinn can't win games...it sort of dovetails with your comment on finding the best qb for what they want.....if they think Stafford or Sanchez is going to be that guy, then expect to see one of them drafted.

Fans don't stay unhappy long, especially if the teams strings a few wins together.

That was awesome Y'town!!!! We're defintely going grocery shopping hungry this draft. Unfortunately, I think we only 5 or 6 selections just 1 year after only having 5 selections. Consequently, there isn't a move that would shock me to bring in more picks this year. When you really think about it - what specific player made us better than 4-12 in 2008?

- Tom F.

Guest Masters
Wel.....I do know from who....but the real point is I don't think the staff really cares what the fans think.

Having a popular figure but losing games isn't going to help them any.

That isn't to say Quinn can't win games...it sort of dovetails with your comment on finding the best qb for what they want.....if they think Stafford or Sanchez is going to be that guy, then expect to see one of them drafted.

Fans don't stay unhappy long, especially if the teams strings a few wins together.

I'd agree completely that the staff doesn't care what the fans think, and nor should they. The staff knows more than us :)

While they certainly will want the best QB for what they want, I just find it highly unlikely they will go looking in this draft, when they have not really seen either of the Browns QBs on the field in practice or games. Not when one QB went to the pro bowl a year ago (not that I buy into that meaning anything) and the other is a highly touted QB who was a 1st round pick and has played 3 games since being drafted. Stranger things have happened, but it just seem like a good decision to jump to that this soon.

Winning cures all.

I'd agree completely that the staff doesn't care what the fans think, and nor should they. The staff knows more than us :)

While they certainly will want the best QB for what they want, I just find it highly unlikely they will go looking in this draft, when they have not really seen either of the Browns QBs on the field in practice or games. Not when one QB went to the pro bowl a year ago (not that I buy into that meaning anything) and the other is a highly touted QB who was a 1st round pick and has played 3 games since being drafted. Stranger things have happened, but it just seem like a good decision to jump to that this soon.

Winning cures all.

Indeed it does.

That was awesome Y'town!!!! We're defintely going grocery shopping hungry this draft. Unfortunately, I think we only 5 or 6 selections just 1 year after only having 5 selections. Consequently, there isn't a move that would shock me to bring in more picks this year. When you really think about it - what specific player made us better than 4-12 in 2008?

- Tom F.

Maybe why the FO has said the only untouchables are Thomas and Jackson. Everybody else is fair game.

Maybe why the FO has said the only untouchables are Thomas and Jackson. Everybody else is fair game.

No maybe about it....it is why they said that.

The staff wants to put their brand on this team in a hurry, and they want to do it with rookies through the draft.

Not only are we going to try to secure as many draft picks as possible, expect to see us very active right after the draft, handing out big(for UDFA) bonus money to be sure to scoop up another 4-5 guys right after the draft....and there is a good chance all of those guys will make the team.

Between the drafted players and undrafted players, we might see 10-12 rookies on the squad.

None of the drafted guys will be cut and if we give some undrafted guy 50k to sign with us, he will probably make it too.

If you are drafted or signed by the Browns, it is one happy day in that players household because it means they just made a NFL teams unless they go out there and just don't try.

Guys like Sowells, Steptoe and others have to be pretty discouraged at this point.

Guys like Sowells, Steptoe and others have to be pretty discouraged at this point.

I don't know how Sowells could find BETTER opportunities than on the 1 team that didn't believe he was the candy ass scouting reports said he was. They were a little more politically correct than that but you get my point. Our right side was a mess and Sowells is supposed to be a OG or OT. When he's not challenging the Hadnots and Didnots of this league for reps - maybe it's the passion or heart muscle.

Stubbedtoes showed some signs but his appearances seemed to be too sporadic to generate any degree of momentum from the good flashes so we saw some ineviatble inconsistency.

I think our staff did a horrible job with Cribbs in our offense to be honest. We don't need him at RB or running option plays teams are always well prepared for. We need him in open field matchups. For an offense lacking ANY threat at WR in 2008 to coin a phrase "here's your sign." Stick this kid in the slot when teams wanna zone blitz us and make them PAY. We don't pose any threats so we're a pretty fun offense to face; especially when DA is playing Kris Kringle to our rivals.

I AGREE the staff should know more than the fans, which is why we have a new staff today. The last one didn't and placed our offense in quick-sand.

- Tom F.

I don't know how Sowells could find BETTER opportunities

He can't...and I think maybe you missed my point. Several of the guys who were on the team know they don't stand a shot in hell to make the team..all the new guys will make the squad..so someone is going to have to get cut.

Archived