THE BROWNS BOARD

Its time to Fire Pettine

WalterWhite

Pettine is dumber than a bag of rocks... This team has 0 fire.. Does not/cannot make adjustments.. I normally would agree you don't fire the coach after year 2,, But Pettine is just way too conservative and too undecisive for Cleveland.. I think Farmer is a jerk too.. I just dont see the need to keep going with these two bozos when you know the obvious outcome.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wouldn't it be nice to get behind our coach for once? This constant revolving door is in part due to the fan base. Stop shitting on these guys. It's profoundly hard to put together a 55 man roster that can compete at this high level. It takes time to develop. There will be stop and go's. Look how long the Bengals have stuck with their coach. They had some years when they were worse than us.

Yes.. Look how long they have stuck with the idiot. and still cant win a playoff game.

Yeah we've seen 1&2 before, and we usually end up with what . . . 5 wins?

This franchise after 15 years, 3 owners, 8 coaches, 7 GM's and 23 QB's (8 drafted, 4 in the first round) is still a fucking joke from the top down . . . Laughing stock of the league.

We have an owner who cleaned house twice in his first 2 years of ownership. We've also come to find out he isn't afraid to pull rank which makes it very difficult for a GM to do his job as best he sees fit. He had the chance to open up a new chapter in this franchise's history and completely screwed the pooch . . . Good luck ever getting any proven front office staff / head coach to come here in the future.

Let's move on to our GM . . . Who is currently on a four game suspension for the text scandal. Which by the way was a large factor in running Shanny out of town . . . Who I wasn't completely in love with, but this has left us with a rookie coordinator . . . Since we can't get anyone in here with ANY kind of prior experience. His drafts have been questionable considering the glaring needs of this team.

So let's get on to the actual team which Pettine is running

On defense we are running a system which requires a stable of skilled linebackers, which we don't currently possess. We have let a lot of good linemen go because we were so deep at the position . . . This makes zero sense. Our linebackers look amateurish, can't get pressure on a QB, can't set an edge, or bring down someone who hasn't already been hit by a DL or Secondary. It's not like we've been trying to stop top tier offenses . . . It's a complete fucking disaster, and huge disappointment.

On offense we are starting 36 year old journeyman QB (yes . . . another one), while our first rounder in his second year is riding the pine. I'm by no means a Johnny fanboy, but where exactly are we gonna get starting McCown . . . 8 wins? . . . If God rains down angels and miracles. There is no point in not letting Johnny start and see if he is going to either progress and start treading water or he sinks into the lake with the rest of the poor bastards we've drafted at QB.

If I've got to watch sub-par QB play I'd rather it be from someone with a possible upside.

We have exactly one playmaker on offense in Benjamin, who legit thought he might not even make the team . . . Speaks volumes of our offensive coaching. We currently have a WR on our roster who is getting 9 million guaranteed dollars to do exactly dick (nice pick up Ray). The rest of the corp is so talented that Gary Barnidge is leading them all in completions. Our backs have combined for less than 200 yards in three games . . . Running behind a supposed pro bowl, top tier, all pro O-Line. I'm not exactly sure what the fuck happened to that unit, but could it be that they are running a rookie coordinator's scheme? It's a complete fucking disaster, but not really unexpected.

I'm losing faith in Pettine and not purely due to the losses, but because of the decisions he is making. I'm sure some of them are due to the fact that we have an owner who expects the dumpster fire he bought to be put out overnight. It's a giant fucking snowball running down a mountain starting at the top.

I'm not being negative I'm just calling a spade a spade . . . The situation is fucking negative. The one positive I took from today is that we seemed to have found ourselves one helluva punter.

All that said, I do agree with you. For the love of god and all things holy don't fire anyone, because who are we going to get in here if we do? Let these guys give it a real go. I do still like Pettine and think Farmer needs to do something to help him out this offseason. Maybe we'll get a couple linebackers who can perform, another legit threat at wideout and a true Franchise QB. I'm still rooting for Johnny and think he could be that guy if he stays on the wagon.

Fuck man, I'm just tired of seeing shit play on Sunday.

/rant

^+1 There's just not enough talent on this team to do much this year. Farmer did make some real questionable personnel decisions. Yeah they looked really bad- again yesterday. In fact- you take away Johnny's bombs to Benji- this team is 0-3, and the season is over before it started.

Fact is- this was supposed to be the "easy" part of the schedule, I dread to see what's going to happen when we start playing teams that have playoff aspirations- starting this Sunday.

Maybe it's a case of the defense having a few 4-3 lbs that aren't hybrid 3-4 oriented.

Chud was the coach in 2013 - I seriously doubt that Pettine would have drafted

Mingo - a tall, very light-weight olb to stop the run in a 3-4.

and Cincy gave up 13 points with a big offensive game in a win vs Oakland- and Baltiwhore gave up

37 points playing Oakland, big offensive game in a loss.

The Browns gave up 27 points in a poor outing by the Browns offense in a loss.

The defense will be fine - may take a few more games to really start rolling. Hopefully.

the offense is still hindered by not having at least one blue chippie wr. You have to like what JM did with

Benjamin, who is terrific, but still not a blue chippie, bigtime wr.

Once JM hit a few long throws, the running game started to open up. The Browns will make

some adjustments, and I look for a big win next week.

Yes.. Look how long they have stuck with the idiot. and still cant win a playoff game.

Cause they have QB problems not entirely unlike us. I would swap out our roster for theirs in a second. Do they have a whole lot of positions either on D or O that we have better players than them? Say what you want about their playoff woes, but we Browns fans would kill to have those problems. They've been relevant now for a couple years. When was the last time we were relevant in late Dec early Jan?

Maybe it's a case of the defense having a few 4-3 lbs that aren't hybrid 3-4 oriented.

Chud was the coach in 2013 - I seriously doubt that Pettine would have drafted

Mingo - a tall, very light-weight olb to stop the run in a 3-4.

and Cincy gave up 13 points with a big offensive game in a win vs Oakland- and Baltiwhore gave up

37 points playing Oakland, big offensive game in a loss.

The Browns gave up 27 points in a poor outing by the Browns offense in a loss.

The defense will be fine - may take a few more games to really start rolling. Hopefully.

the offense is still hindered by not having at least one blue chippie wr. You have to like what JM did with

Benjamin, who is terrific, but still not a blue chippie, bigtime wr.

Once JM hit a few long throws, the running game started to open up. The Browns will make

some adjustments, and I look for a big win next week.

I recall when Pettine was hired , that he was high on Mingo during that draft class.. So.. Im not so sure he would not have drafted him.

depends on what they planned for him - he's quite a pass defender, and can rush the qb...a role player...

but if you planned on him being a seal the edge, kickass run defender, I think he wouldn't

draft Mingo that high at all. The Browns need that guy that can shut down and seal the edge.

depends on what they planned for him - he's quite a pass defender, and can rush the qb...a role player...

but if you planned on him being a seal the edge, kickass run defender, I think he wouldn't

draft Mingo that high at all. The Browns need that guy that can shut down and seal the edge.

And we just don't have that.. I'm at a loss how this linebacking corp can just keep being consistently bad year in, year out.

well technically Mingo is a prototype 3-4 weak side LB'er. That guy you're not expecting to take on the tackles unless he's speed rushing. The DL/DE's on his side are the ones responsible for taking on the tackles and the weakside's job is to make the tackle if the RB goes inside or outside the tackle that's being engaged a defensive lineman. If the offensive line is consistently getting hats on the weak side than there's a scheme issue. Now the guy on the other side is supposed to be the hybrid guy who can physically match up with the tackles, thought we had that guy in Kruger but we don't.

Well, IMO, we have to do something about our drafting. As I have said earlier, we must have the worst ratio ever of pics since '99. We talk about pics LB's, we could have had Luke Kuechly, instead, Trent Richardson. We could have Clay Matthews, instead we opted for Alex Mack (not a bad pick) but when you compare production, guess who was the better pic. And then in 2nd round of the 09 draft we get Brian Robiskie and Mahommed Massaquoi. Both not playing in the NFL (and I liked Robiskie). And then, with 3 pics in the 2nd round, (thinking you got to get one of these right) David Veikune.... not playing in the NFL. Then there is maiava... see ya. All you have to do is go through our drafts and see how bad it is. Granted, I know were not the only that misses in the draft, and I personally think it's a crap shoot. BUT, you have to hit on someone, long term, more than twice in 15 years.

Well, IMO, we have to do something about our drafting. .....

...in 2nd round of the 09 draft we get Brian Robiskie and Mahommed Massaquoi. Both not playing in the NFL (and I liked Robiskie). And then, with 3 pics in the 2nd round, (thinking you got to get one of these right) David Veikune.... not playing in the NFL.

Great points. I think we should draft Wr and LB in next weeks draft.

And agreed, as I watched the game, all I could think about was that 2nd round, 7 years ago. We should fire whoever made those picks.

And here is another article asking why our front office continues to make the calls they do.

http://deadspin.com/the-browns-are-such-a-godforsaken-mess-1733254503

Dwayne Bowe is a “healthy inactive” for Raiders-Browns this afternoon, meaning there isn’t really anything wrong with Bowe, beyond his fundamental inability to play football well, but the Browns are sitting him anyway. This is only one of several stupid moving parts in the stupid fakakta machine that is the Cleveland Browns, who are a delight.

So to recap quickly: In March, the Browns signed the now-31-year-old Bowe to a two-year, $12 million contract ($9 million guaranteed), despite Bowe having been cut by the Chiefs, having not registered more than 60 catches or 800 yards in three seasons, and having gone all of 2014 without catching a touchdown, contributing greatly to the best running gag in the NFL.

Cleveland also kept Bowe around ahead of Terrelle Pryor, who isn’t much, but remains fast as hell—and with Johnny Manziel chucking 50-yard bombs any time he isn’t nailed to the bench, that’s something.

Back to reality: Bowe has no catches in two games, and so far has been targeted only once—a deep-middle post route in the Titans game on which Bowe was badly late to his window. And it looks like that’s it. That’s his season.

Which would all be funny enough, except, being the Browns, the incompetence in fact goes much deeper. You might wonder what GM Ray Farmer and the Cleveland front office have to say for themselves, being newly installed—possibly because of a Jimmy Haslam tantrum after his crush on Greg Schiano went unattended—and now having wasted money, time, and roster space on such a flop. Except, he can’t. Farmer, you’ll remember, is still serving the dumbest four-game suspension there ever was.

As ProFootballTalk reminds us:

At this point, the Browns might be holding off on cutting Bowe only because General Manager Ray Farmer is currently serving a suspension, and cutting a player who just got a $9 million guarantee in March is a move that the G.M. needs to approve.

The short version is that Farmer broke league rules forbidding contact from the booth to the sidelines by texting assistant coaches to bitch about Kyle Shanahan’s offense and moan about Johnny Manziel sprouting lichen on the bench. (In an added bonus, this week, the Browns have shipped Manziel right back to his cave, despite the returning starter being Josh McCown.) And this is why the Browns can’t or at least haven’t cut Dwayne Bowe.

I agree.....it would be dumb to fire Pettine.....it was brutal watching his pressy though.....can see a lil crack in the armor....it will be interesting to see how he(and the team) respond.....

If Im questioning coaches......#1 is Flip.....and #1B is ONeill.....good position coaches, but maybe they are in over their heads as coordinators.....

I give Flip some rope because he is a rookie coordinator, although the run game seems to be regressing. How much, if any of this, is due to OL Coach Moeller's situation?

O'Neil, on the other hand, told us after last season that the run D WILL improve!...WHEN?

In addition, we have literally NO pass rush. Carr had all day to throw yesterday. I'm not sold on him as a D coordinator at all.

I guess we'll see what happens, but even I am growing impatient.

Mike

I would hope to god that all of you intrinsically understand the long term ramifications of firing another coach after only 2 years. We're on notice with the league basically. If we fire Pettine, get ready for a parade of D2 coaches looking to dip their toes in the NFL pond, but nothing serious. Just some guys who are going to jump up to the bigs for some fun. We will not see a dedicated coach here for decades. DECADES!!!

What do other teams do when they have one or two bad seasons?....FIRE THE HEAD COACH! Belichik was an idiot when he was here. He learned and changed. You don't believe that? How about "Metcalf up the middle"...or cutting Kosar with the only qb left being Todd Philcox. Oh, yeah...he was a real fu**ing genius, then.

I know you are now on "dish" at McDonalds but have you ever been promoted to say "fry boy" or "burger boy"? If so, you know that it took you some time to be as good or better than your co-workers. Just think how long we would have had Bellicheat and how many SB won. Give it a chance, I tell you! The rest of your post is hard for me to understand your position! Oh, is Bellicheat an idiot now?

I know you are now on "dish" at McDonalds but have you ever been promoted to say "fry boy" or "burger boy"? If so, you know that it took you some time to be as good or better than your co-workers. Just think how long we would have had Bellicheat and how many SB won. Give it a chance, I tell you! The rest of your post is hard for me to understand your position! Oh, is Bellicheat an idiot now?

I don't get promotions...I give them. Have someone read my post to you...maybe that will work. I said he WAS an idiot for the 5 years he was here. He was treated like crap by the fans, then fired by Modell in Baltimore. His communication skills were terrible, even though he knew the X's and O's. It wasn't until he changed his approach with players, the media, and fans, that he was successful. I've waited over 50 years for a championship team, and 30 years for just a competitive one. I'm out of patience. As a paying fan who attends several games per year, I don't think it's asking too much to watch a team that is capable of winning half of the games it plays. In other words...mediocrity looks pretty good at this point. You, on the other hand, probably haven't been around long enough to realize that this was once a very proud, respected franchise which is now, and has been for the past 15 years, the laughing stock of the NFL.

so eye opening to see so little of our picks even playing in the NFL anymore.

There's the root of the problem.

In the last 15 years the Browns burn through draft picks like shit through a goose.

Just think how many of them that were either traded, or cut and went on to have great career elsewhere?

I would shitcan Farmer before thinking of firing Pet.

There's the root of the problem.

In the last 15 years the Browns burn through draft picks like shit through a goose.

Just think how many of them that were either traded, or cut and went on to have great career elsewhere?

I would shitcan Farmer before thinking of firing Pet.

Why does Pet get a pass while Farmer doesn't? They've been here the exact same amount of time.

EDIT: Fuck, I forgot Farmer was assistant GM in 2013.

Bellicheat wore many hats when he was here and the uppers let him get away with it. In the right hands, he has proven his talents as a coach. He wouldn't put up with this lazy bunch for long. His communication skills are still that of a sloth.......lol

I'm 56 and grew up in a CBrowns house and miss the parties, friends and the community when we were in the hunt. Yeah, it sucks....but lets start doing some things right to change these results. Johnny......if he is a diamond, lets not put him in a tin setting! Let who ever get the nerve knocked out of them until we get great line, RB's and WO's....

Why does Pet get a pass while Farmer doesn't? They've been here the exact same amount of time.

EDIT: Fuck, I forgot Farmer was assistant GM in 2013.

Farmer was one of the guys responsible for drafting Bowe when he was with the Chiefs.

Fast forward a few years, and Farmer brings him here and pays him $9 mill this year for breathing.

Pettine is an emotionless blah blah blah softie. He does nothing to Fire this team up

Paul brown was emotionless on the sidelines.. .. So that makes him bad?

Our Drafts have sucked serious donkey balls since 99. We have fallen for the hype of College QB's time and time again and have missed so many other contributing players. I don't mind building through the draft, but we have to nail some pics.

Stay away from character issues, drug issues, theft issues, rape issues. Find guys who love the fucking game. Hell, draft the entire Kent state team. They seem to turn out some pretty decent players that go under the radar. We need to scout the shit out of every college team in this friggin' country. D1 - D4 or D5, I don't give a shit where they come from, i just want guys hungry to play and hungry to win and aren't after a payday the minute they step out of college.

And we have to do something in free agency to build and bring some potential, still in their prime, players. Open the check book Haslam.

our defense seemed to play pretty well last year especially with generating turnovers.. This year has been terrible. I vaguely remember Pettine stating he was turning the defense over to O'Neil this year so Pettine could help out with the offense. If true, maybe O'Neil has no clue how to run a defense by himself?

If the defense continues to suck, we may as well start manziel because the season will be lost anyway..

our defense seemed to play pretty well last year especially with generating turnovers.. This year has been terrible. I vaguely remember Pettine stating he was turning the defense over to O'Neil this year so Pettine could help out with the offense. If true, maybe O'Neil has no clue how to run a defense by himself?

If the defense continues to suck, we may as well start manziel because the season will be lost anyway..

MKC asked Pettine if he was going to shift his attention away from the offense and focus more on defense.

He said that it looks like he's going to have to spend some time with O'neil.

Fire the coach? And who would any of you then hire?

#1 is Flip.....and #1B is ONeill.....good position coaches, but maybe they are in over their heads as coordinators.....

Put these two posts together and you have the short list of interim HCs if Pet is fired.

Who are you picking Walter?

Good point, mud... I'm also wondering if we are missing Moeller more than a little...

Which brings us back to the authenticity of Pet's "adapt-to-the-players" credo...

Archived