THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns are bringing in USC QB Mark Sanchez.

Reno

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters

Teams bring in guys they have no intent on drafting all the time. It's to make other teams think and worry. All posturing for trade potential come draft day. Heck, teams bring in guys then draft guys they never brought in.

It could be a smoke screen or the Browns FO wants to cover all their bases in case a deal they can't pass up happens on draft involving one of their QB's.

Drafting a 1st round QB is not a Mankok type of move.

It could be posturing but it could also be that the Browns aren't satisfied that either of their QBs is a great long term option. The whole mess could remain interesting all the way through the draft.

You are right, it very well could be absolutely nothing. I don't believe the Staff isn't satisfied with either QB. could be a total fake out.

Supposedly Philly is trying to make a deal to package thier #21 and #28 to move up to get Crabtree. Also, If teams like the Jets, San Fran think the Browns are interested in Snachez they may be more likely to trade up letting a Crabtree or Curry fall to us.

I don't believe it has anyting to do us wanting Sanchez or trading Quinn.

Guest Masters
They're gonna trade Queen, draft Sanchez, and let him sit behind Anderson for a couple years.

So basically they don't think Anderson is the answer and Quinn has the best trade value. Boy, that says a lot about DA.

No why would we waste our time bringing in a 1st round QB ? This makes no sense at all.

Sure it does.....maybe we want to draft him there, maybe we would draft him if we traded down.

Things are changing guys...you have to forget every notion you may have formed about the Browns and what they might look like a few years down the road.

Both Mangini and Kok may have been in the group that passed on Quinn or would have passed on Quinn...more than half the teams in the league passed him over before we pulled him out of the green room......so some teams didn't think he was all that good.

Guest Masters
more than half the teams in the league passed him over before we pulled him out of the green room......so some teams didn't think he was all that good.

That is a bit of an exageration there ballpeen. When you look at the 2007 draft, only the following teams were even looking QB:

1. OAK

2. MIN (maybe)

3. MIA (notice how quick that staff lost their jobs)

4. KC (who was looking to move up and get Quinn but CLE jumped ahead)

That's 4 teams, not half the NFL. Not even a quarter of the NFL. Teams don't generally take players they have zero need for in the 1st round. That is a lot of money to shell out.

Both Mangini and Kok may have been in the group that passed on Quinn or would have passed on Quinn...more than half the teams in the league passed him over before we pulled him out of the green room......so some teams didn't think he was all that good.

To be fair, most of those teams didn't think they had a need at QB at the time that warranted a 1st round pick at that position. If you look at the teams after Miami at 9 (and that draft worked out great for the people in charge there) there wasn't a team that thought they needed a QB in the 1st until we traded up to get him.

A lot of those teams that didn't think they needed a QB have since learned otherwise.

I do understand, but bottomline, more than half the teams passed him.

Need or no need...really good qbs don't get passed over for very long.

I don't remember...was he the 1st QB taken that year??

The ENTIRE NFL passed over Kurt Warner completely.

The ENTIRE NFL passed over Drew Brees one time.

The ENTIRE NFL passed over Tom Brady FIVE TIMES.

The ENTIRE NFL passed over StudMuffin Derek Anderson FIVE TIMES (then threw him out with the garbage.)

Just because he fell to 22 because teams weren't looking for a QB doesn't mean he'll be no good - just like the mere fact that he was a 1st rounder doesn't guarantee that he will be good.

We're clearly in rebuilding/reloading mode (once again) and not looking at any legit shot at contending this year. We've already spent a 1 AND a 2 to get him. So give the kid a chance to play and prove himself one way or the other so we can see what we got for that 1 AND 2.

Guest Masters

Second behind Russel. Of course there were also the reports that one of the reasons the Raiders didn't take him was they felt Quinn would command more money.

As to good QBs getting passed over for long, I submit for you Aaron Rogers, Joe Montana, McNabb, Big Gay Ben, and Cutler to name a few. Need plays a huge factor in a team using a 1st round pick for a QB. If a team has a QB they feel can win in the NFL, they aren't going to go draft a QB in round 1 because he is the best available player left on the board.

Yeah no shit. They had no need for BQ. Comprende?

If your excuse is that there was a bunch of better QBs on all the other teams then why would you even push this theory?

You let DA donkey-punch you every night, don't you?

The ENTIRE NFL passed over Kurt Warner completely.

The ENTIRE NFL passed over Drew Brees one time.

The ENTIRE NFL passed over Tom Brady FIVE TIMES.

The ENTIRE NFL passed over StudMuffin Derek Anderson FIVE TIMES (then threw him out with the garbage.)

Just because he fell to 22 because teams weren't looking for a QB doesn't mean he'll be no good - just like the mere fact that he was a 1st rounder doesn't guarantee that he will be good.

Very good points!!!

Dan Marino wasn't drafted until 27th overall.

The following QBs were drafted before him:

John Elway (#1)

Todd Blackledge (#7)

Jim Kelly (#14)

Tony Eason (#15)

Ken O'Brien (#24)

It's always been a crapshoot because if you looked at that draft order - #1, #14 and #27 all made the Hall of Fame.

I would be ALOT more comfortable if we drafted a QB in round 1 with intentions of finding out WHO he is and WHAT he is capable of before sending him off somewhere else. It's REALLY stupid to draft a guy in round 1 if your intentions aren't to play him.

It's not like we've played in 1 playoff game yet so I'm not sure what the panic ever was. Shula went to a Superbowl with David Woodley and how long did that keep Marino benched for?

- Tom F.

So basically they don't think Anderson is the answer and Quinn has the best trade value. Boy, that says a lot about DA.

What it says is that they think DA is an NFL starting QB, and that Sanchez could be better down the line. It also says they're getting a decent return on Quinn, doesn't say anything about what they think of his play.

They're gonna trade Queen, draft Sanchez, and let him sit behind Anderson for a couple years.

Lums if anything..it would be trade Quinn because they can get good picks for him, Draft sanchez and DA would be Sanchez's backup so he can learn from the college kid. hahhahahhahahhaha

n/m. Masters covered it (I disagree with your supposition, though :P)

I've said it once and I'll say it again. It's very possible Mangini wants his own guy behind center. If a trade goes down with Quinn you can get the help on defense or wherever and draft a franchise QB in round one. I'm not saying it's going to happen but if it does that would be the reason.

I don't think that drafting a qb in the 1st is a good idea, and is going to happen. Us fans have been all over Quinn because he didn't come in and light it up and save the team. Another, Couch. I'm not even going to comment on. What my point is is that drafting a Qb in the 1st round, i think puts alot of pressure on them these days. Also the fans want you to throw him in right away, and for him to light up the score board within the 1st 5 games. Drafting in the later rounds seems to be a better option for the player and the team. Not really big expectations and lower pressure.

I don't think that drafting a qb in the 1st is a good idea, and is going to happen. Us fans have been all over Quinn because he didn't come in and light it up and save the team. Another, Couch. I'm not even going to comment on. What my point is is that drafting a Qb in the 1st round, i think puts alot of pressure on them these days. Also the fans want you to throw him in right away, and for him to light up the score board within the 1st 5 games. Drafting in the later rounds seems to be a better option for the player and the team. Not really big expectations and lower pressure.

Wow. Quinn plays 5 quarters healthy and he's already another Couch.

Panic much?

n/m. Masters covered it (I disagree with your supposition, though :P)

It really isn't, and I don't disagree with masters...I guess I am saying there are two sides to the coin.

I am not bringing this up to get in to the usual qb chatter as I am one who thinks Quinn can be at least a pretty good qb..how much better only time will tell.

That year in the SI draft edition BQ was rated a 3rd round talent though acknowledged he would be a 1st round selection due to the position he played. That isn't to say they were right, but it does indicate, along with BQ's draft position, that at least some teams/scouts weren't all that high on the guy.

In the mentioning of Russell, it probably shows it was a pretty weak year for qbs and we probably got the best of the two.

We just don't know what the staff wants at qb.....again...this move could be a smoke over in an effort to trade out of the position to get a few teams thinking we just might go qb with our pick or it might mean we could go qb with our pick.

Say we trade DA as more feel we will at some point. We are going to need another qb.

Nothing says we are going to make that other qb some unknown 6th rounder or some FA looking for work.

I do agree though...the odds of us selecting a QB in round 1 would be pretty slim....no higher than 10%, but not down into the minuscule range either.

ballpeen,

I think this year is an even weaker year for QBs, but then, last year didn't seem all that great either and two of those guys turned in nice rookie seasons. Both of those guys were seniors, though, weren't they, and both had more starting experience than Sanchez.

I'm not wild about Stafford either, but I think judging that Sanchez is worthy of a first round pick based on his limited resume is worse than throwing Quinn away because you only have 3 starting games. Quinn rates as a much higher first round talent than Sanchez, IMO.

If we're going to get a QB, then next year is the year to do it.

I think this is posturing - I'll bet there is no intention of drafting Sanchez. I could see us sticking with one or the other of these guys (or splitting time with them) this year, and then drafting one of the top guys next year if Maningi is happy with either. Bradford or McCoy would fit in nicely with what Mangini is supposed to like in a QB.

Archived