THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland's Unlikely Hero

Mark O

McCown is a class act, no question about it. I don't want to be a downer, but I'm expecting him to have a clunker of a game against the Broncos. Their defense is literally THAT good, and he simply can't sustain his production. I guess I shouldn't say "can't", but I believe it to be extremely unlikely. I mean, I find it hard to believe we signed free agent gold that other teams didn't want. McCown had a terrible, TERRIBLE year with the Bucs, no doubt about it. But when you look back at it, the Bucs lost their offensive coordinator right before the season started, and apparently he was asked to be the coordinator AND the quarterback of a team with no offensive line. Difficult for anyone, that much is true.

The problem I have is that when McCown DOES have a poor game, and everybody in the NFL does, what will our defense be able to do to keep us in the game? There is so much pressure on our offense to carry the load because they know our defense won't be able to keep the score low. We don't force turnovers, we don't sack the quarterback, and we don't force enough FG's. We also give up a TON of chunk plays, and nobody knows why other than "we don't execute."

The other side of the coin is that McCown is getting into a groove, and our offensive coordinator is finding ways to get everyone involved. We aren't depending on any one player, and that makes it difficult for a defense. Would I prefer to be a smash mouth running team? Sure, that's my dream offense, but we realize that doesn't work for us, and we're going to use the pass to set up the run later in the game. We'll have to figure out consistent ways to mitigate their immense pass rush, and I would expect a healthy dose of Crow and Duke in the passing game. Both have demonstrated an incredible knack for catching the ball and accelerating down field. I also look for a trick play this game. Not sure what kind...but something deep in the playbook that we've been saving. I haven't seen a reverse this year, and we have several guys that can execute it.

I'm not counting us out, because the Broncos potentially have some key injuries that may miss Sunday. (Ware, Talib, D. Thomas). Also Manning has shown his age quite a bit and his arm looks like jello this year.

The biggest obstacle is their defense really, I think our D is capable of keeping us in the game. Normally I'd say we have to figure out how to run the ball, but who knows Money McCown looks good when he tosses it up 50 times.

The problem I have is that when McCown DOES have a poor game, and everybody in the NFL does, what will our defense be able to do to keep us in the game? There is so much pressure on our offense to carry the load because they know our defense won't be able to keep the score low.

The other side of the coin is that McCown is getting into a groove, and our offensive coordinator is finding ways to get everyone involved. We aren't depending on any one player, and that makes it difficult for a defense. Would I prefer to be a smash mouth running team? Sure, that's my dream offense... I also look for a trick play this game. Not sure what kind...but something deep in the playbook that we've been saving. I haven't seen a reverse this year, and we have several guys that can execute it.

Last nite the Saints showed that you can never tell when a D will wake up... Hell, we showed that Week 2. But clearly we are an "outscore the other guys" team.

What we have seen the past three weeks is the roll out of the Flip playbook in the hands of a trusted, veteran QB. I do not think any of us were prepared for width and depth of what we've seen. I do not think the performance of our D impacts the approach our O will take. So in large portion I think that mitigates the pressure the O perceives. The way the O will feel added pressure is should it be self-generated through turnovers.

Ditto on the smash-mouth thing... from an NFL Neanderthal. I'll just have to keep the nitro pills handy on Sunday.

Also ditto on the trick play call... So far the throw back to Barn we pulled off last week has been about it. But Flip has been setting up a couple others over the past two weeks. Last week it was Benji in a reverse action.

I hope to see the change up game. Get Bibbs to take some of the M. Johnson Reps. Sit Drey or Housler. Get Turpin in the mix & has played against Denver. Flip from Oakland has seen Denver twice a year, Tricks & another great day of calls puts us at 3-3 with the 30th worst defense. Flip at least gets to the Pete Rose's Hall (way).

Cleveland's unlikely hero.

Josh McCown

Thanks for sharing that Mark!

Last year, as the national media couldn't get enough of Manziel's good, bad and ugly - the Browns quietly got off to a 7-4 start. Then all the national sports writers who previously questioned our QB situation - suddenly wanted to make everyone aware that Brian Hoyer had a pretty nice story unfolding. Really? You mean like putting a strong running game around QB might actually help a passer be effective? All these national sports media guys that want to invest part of 1 summer day learning as much or as little about the Cleveland Browns are suddenly trying to recruit passengers for their bandwagon. Wasn't it their choice to focus 110% of their attention on a 21 year old Manziel at the time anyway?

This year, the national sports media was very critical of Josh McCown immediately after he was sentenced to Tampa's 31st ranked running game stranded in 3rd and forever behind suspect pass protection. All I read from them was "how is Cleveland supposed to win with their QB situation?" This came from columnists unwilling to see how effective McCown was when Chicago's environment handcuff both hands behind his back. McCown has rarely ever played for good teams reminding us not every QB gets a GM that puts this around the passer: Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Edge James, Joseph Addai (most of these guys except for Addai were elite before they played at Peyton's Place). If none of that was necessary - a guy like Polian wouldn't have gone those routes. The next Peyton's Place had DeMaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas plus a willingness to add Wes Welker as well as a former HOF QB understanding what was needed.

While I liked the content and story Peter presented - it would have been nice for him to say MAYBE more critics like himself should have looked at why and when things didn't work for McCown vrs why they did/do. I guess his column heading was as close to owning where he stood as we'llget. That said, what else should we expect from a guy who only dedicated a small part of 1 summer day learning as much or as little as he wanted to about this team? The NFL has always had QBs like Steve DeBerg and Jeff Garcia. One of them blended in with stink around him in Detroit & Cleveland (where he was injured) BUT performed his way to Pro Bowls and playoffs on teams like Philly, Tampa and SF. DeBerg was good on good teams and bad on bad teams. I see McCown in this category, with an ability to outplay/outwin Jay Cutler when given the chance to do so with the exact same teammates. It's an Archie Manning story with a different last name so he doesn't get the same abundance of excuses and alibis. The reality of it all is we might end up with another QB the national media never really cared to get acquainted with emerging as a significant reason we've had chances to win all but 1 game so far. The lone exception, he put together an impressive opening drive until his decision to run through 2 defenders at the goal line ended his day vrs the Jets. IMO, Cleveland always tends to play better when they're not favored or supposed to win anyway so I'll enjoy that silver lining.

Archived