THE BROWNS BOARD

Weekly Rock n Roll Trivia

I'm not going to respond further to Gipper's "get off my lawn you damn kids" posts. If you're not going to give music that's not in your generation it's due that's fine but you can't stop it from earning it's place in the zeitgeist.

Here is what you can do: your own set of music. I put up stuff that I know, because I know it. I just don't know much about newer stuff because I don't follow it.

Me doing 2000s music would be like me trying to do European soccer trivia. I just don't know anything about it, and honestly....do you think there would be equal interest in "newer music trivia" than in "older music trivia? You tell me.

Maybe what I will do is to try to come up with something this week for newer music. Though I don't know much about it myself, I can do some research.

You seem to have the impression that most modern music was originated by one hit wonders, whereas I have a slightly opposite feeling. It's just the era we grew up in that dictates our core tastes, then we hear bits and piece from elsewhere. Bands like Oasis, Blur, Coldplay, Blink, Green Day, Offspring - these guys were/have been around for decades.

On the other hand, the music scene these days is less 'out of control' - at least relative to the rest of society - that the things they do seem trivial (if you'll excuse the pun) in comparison to the who, the stones etc.

Some other music that's joined the ranks of classic rock from "my generation" nirvana, pearl jam, guns and roses, foo fighters, Metallica, Stone temple pilots, smashing pumpkins, soundgarden. The white stripes maybe. The black keys maybe. Give them a few more years. Oasis and blur have more or less faded away over here but Coldplay is still going strong.

Some of those bands notably Metallica and Nirvana will be seen as being as noteworthy as almost everyone that's gone before (excepting only elvis and the beatles)

Archived