THE BROWNS BOARD

What would be your lowest trade for DA?

Mr. T

I just can't friggin' believe last year at this time we we're talking a 1st AND a 3rd. The majority here strongly suspected the real DA was the second half of '07, not the first half. Phil could have taken 6th round DA, spun a half season out of him, and turned him into a 1st and 3rd round pick. He would have looked like a genius ala Dolphin Scott Mitchell to the Lions.

Grrrrrr. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. We should have pulled the trigger.

Spilled milk, etc., etc.....

I just can't friggin' believe last year at this time we we're talking a 1st AND a 3rd. The majority here strongly suspected the real DA was the second half of '07, not the first half. Phil could have taken 6th round DA, spun a half season out of him, and turned him into a 1st and 3rd round pick. He would have looked like a genius ala Dolphin Scott Mitchell to the Lions.

Grrrrrr. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. We should have pulled the trigger.

Spilled milk, etc., etc.....

What's funny is the Manwagonners think we're stupid for thinking he should have been moved last year. Most of us who are regulars here had a pretty good idea of what was going on and it needed to happen. Turns out we knew a helluva lot more than the GM of the team did.

This goes down as one of the biggest blunders in franchise history as far as I'm concerned, regardless if it wasn't an actual 1st and 3rd it still could have been something a lot better than now, plus Queen would have gotten some development.

I just can't friggin' believe last year at this time we we're talking a 1st AND a 3rd.

Last year this time the only guys who were talking a 1st and a 3rd were the few that actually felt DA still had potential. The same nuts that are crying he's only worth a 4th rounde or lower were doing the same then, many were begging to dump him for anything.

I don't understand folks thinking that we will actually get a 2nd plus a player, or even a 3rd plus a player.

I know there are no guarantees in life, but I can say with about 99% certainty, that we might not even get a 3rd rounder, let alone a 3rd rounder and a player.

Andy

if thats true we wouldn't trade him, thats with 100% certainty

i think that we would get a 3rd for him, but there is one very important thing to remember when talking about pro sports general managers: many of them are very stupid. the texans traded the tenth overall pick a year ago for matt schaub, a guy who had never won a game as a starter in the nfl. the raiders traded a 4th round pick for randy moss. it is possible that a trade with da could go either way. i could see some dumbass gm trading to get him and giving us a low end 1st or high end 2nd rounder for him. at the same time i can see mankok trading away da and only getting a 5th round pick for him. nobody knows what da's stock is because every team has a different price for him. that is possibly the most important factor in all this.

i think that we would get a 3rd for him, but there is one very important thing to remember when talking about pro sports general managers: many of them are very stupid. the texans traded the tenth overall pick a year ago for matt schaub, a guy who had never won a game as a starter in the nfl. the raiders traded a 4th round pick for randy moss. it is possible that a trade with da could go either way. i could see some dumbass gm trading to get him and giving us a low end 1st or high end 2nd rounder for him. at the same time i can see mankok trading away da and only getting a 5th round pick for him. nobody knows what da's stock is because every team has a different price for him. that is possibly the most important factor in all this.

Houston just switched first rounders from 8 to 10 with Atlanta and got two 2nd rounder for schaub.

The Vikings gave a 4th rounder for Sage Rosenfels who in 8 years in the league has never been a starter.

DA was a probowler and is still very young, no matter how much Cleveland fans hate him and want to dump him off for the first thing thrown there way he has alot more value than Rosenfels.

Guest Masters
Last year this time the only guys who were talking a 1st and a 3rd were the few that actually felt DA still had potential. The same nuts that are crying he's only worth a 4th rounde or lower were doing the same then, many were begging to dump him for anything.

People thought CLE could get a 1st and 3rd based on perceived potential. Basically the same thing ATL swindled for Schaub. Had nothing to do with believing DA was actually worth that value. Those heavily in favor of trying to move DA expected the result (some more highly expected than others).

Guest Masters
We could of had some serious draft picks this year had it not been for his stupidity.

I'd still argue that no team last offseason was going to give a 1st round pick for DA, let alone multiple picks. There is a reason DA and his agent jumped on the offer CLE gave DA (which was low by market standards for a starting QB) so quickly after he was free to negotiate with other teams. I think most teams knew who DA was. After all, a lot of people on here knew who he was. It also would have been a pretty risky gamble for CLE to trade DA and count solely on an unproven Quinn for the year.

To me, CLE's biggest blunder concerning DA was just handing him the starting job last season and treating him like he had been a productive starter for multiple seasons.

Guest Masters
I agree that a 1st and a 3rd would of been on the high end of the trade spectrum, however that doesn't mean we couldn't of gotten a 2nd and a 4th or a 2nd and a player. Either way it would of been way better than what we had happen to us this year. Phil put all his eggs in the DA basket and watched as they got smashed to pieces.

I think a 2nd and a conditional future would have been the best CLE would have gotten. Then again, I just didn't see anyone that desperate last season for a QB to give up a lot for DA.

It was as much Phil's undoing as RAC. They both put their eggs in the DA basket, and in the end it was RAC that kept trotting DA out there.

Archived