THE BROWNS BOARD

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

MLD Woody

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was responding to Gipper's simplistic "get a map" analysis.

Yes, we are all aware of the idiom: "In Florida, the more northern you go the more southern you get",meaning that South Florida is really more snowbird country, people transplanted from other parts of the country, northeast and midwest.

I know this well, my sister was one of them....moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 1969, moved back to Ohio in 2005.

My niece who works for me is a native South Floridian...and fits the mold, though she now lives here.

My nephew however who is originally from South Florida is now living in North Florida..Jacksonville, and he has picked up the mantra and now is full bore north Florida redneck.

Beyond that, the fact is that Florida is actually dominated by the ACC with Miami/FSU. My nephew still maintains his south Florida rooting interests though: Dolphins/Hurricanes.

I've said they had the best fans for a good decade plus, but please continue to tell me about myself, friends.

Here is what I know about yourself: Austin used to be a great town, now it fairly well sucks because the traffic has become immaneuverable.

(I may have to go through there later this year, hopefully it won't be so bad.

(Nevertheless....Longhorn fans still rule, fair to say?)

Amazing too everyone knows in the top 10 US cities NYC, LA, CHI but not many realize cities like San Antonio, Austin and San Jose are there now.

Cleveland was 5 at one time now 51, Columbus 15 and Cincinnati 66 are the biggest cities in Ohio.

Amazing too everyone knows in the top 10 US cities NYC, LA, CHI but not many realize cities like San Antonio, Austin and San Jose are there now.

Cleveland was 5 at one time now 51, Columbus 15 and Cincinnati 66 are the biggest cities in Ohio.

If you just look at the city proper. If you go by the entire Metro areas, Cleveland is still like 16th or so. Columbus is half that size.

Roughly the same size stadium, enrollment, and alumni. They have history and media presence on their side. We're in a much more stable conference.

If the Big 12 is unstable it is because Tex A&M made it that way by jumping ship.

And despite that TAMU is still maybe the 5th best team in that state.

(TCU, Houston, Baylor, Texas all may be better this year anyway)

If you just look at the city proper. If you go by the entire Metro areas, Cleveland is still like 16th or so. Columbus is half that size.

Yes that's just US Census data on cities, metros can really spread even invading other cities areas.

Columbus on the other hand is still the biggest island in Ohio, and if you don't count the NHL still the largest US city without a professional team....well except for the BUCKEYES ;)

Oh on metro sprawl I was at DFW airport right after it opened on a company trip to Bryan/College Station and Hearne, TX. They built it out away from the big cities which just grew out to it.

I did get to see the South grow in the late 1970s and early 1980s with two big corporations it was wild but I stayed based in Ohio.

Yes that's just US Census data on cities, metros can really spread even invading other cities areas.

Columbus on the other hand is still the biggest island in Ohio, and if you don't count the NHL still the largest US city without a professional team....well except for the BUCKEYES ;)

Well, I DO count the NHL.

The largest city in the US without a team is actually Austin TX. While San Antonio is fairly nearby...about 75 miles I believe, between SA which is listed as the 7th largest city in the US and Austin which is ranked 11th, they have only the Spurs as a major league franchise in the big 4 sports. In fact, they don't have an MLS team either.

I guess for football and baseball the league expect the people in that area to gravitate toward the Dallas or Houston teams.

But the key to having a major league team in town is not what the population of the cities proper are, but what the metro area is....and to be more precise, where a community ranks in the Nielsen DMA (Designated market area)

As of this year, separately SA and Austin rank 32d and 39th. Combined they rank about the same size as the Cleveland DMA.

Columbus is ranked 31st, Cincinnati 36th.

So, Austin and San Antonio combined are about the size of C-bus and Cincy combined. As noted, Cleveland is just slightly less than the two various markets combined.

https://www.tvb.org/Portals/0/media/file/DMA/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

Of all the DMAs on this list, Hartford is the largest city with no team in the 4 major sports.

If the Big 12 is unstable it is because Tex A&M made it that way by jumping ship.

And despite that TAMU is still maybe the 5th best team in that state.

(TCU, Houston, Baylor, Texas all may be better this year anyway)

No, it was unstable before.

We could also be the best team. Stop trolling.

No, it was unstable before.

How do you figure? Perhaps because Nebraska left....I may give you that.

Did A&M leave before Colorado went to Pac 10?

If both of those happened first, I will concede the point.

We could also be the best team. Stop trolling.

But I won't concede this point.

Prove it by scheduling some of them.

Houston, Texas and Baylor all currently ranked higher. TCU has had like 2 straight years of finishing Top 5.

Has TAMU seen Top 5 since the days of John David Crow?

Maybe one week after JFF beat Bama.

Well, I DO count the NHL.

The largest city in the US without a team is actually Austin TX. While San Antonio is fairly nearby...about 75 miles I believe, between SA which is listed as the 7th largest city in the US and Austin which is ranked 11th, they have only the Spurs as a major league franchise in the big 4 sports. In fact, they don't have an MLS team either.

I guess for football and baseball the league expect the people in that area to gravitate toward the Dallas or Houston teams.

Wow after years of Columbus having that distinction I forgot about Austin.

And to me like the autos it's still Big 3 football, baseball, basketball on TV, attendance, revenues both professional and NCAA.

NHL is trying to gain some traction after some events like cancellation of an entire season. They're actually going to a 31st team in of all places Lost Wages, Nevada soon! Desperate huh, the others won't touch it. It's still largely a Canadian and northern states game.

Oh and what's this have to do with NCAA super conferences? They also tend to follow the population centers and where the money is to be made over time.

Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

But War isn't right either.

A&M is not the best team in the state.

The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

Who is? I said we COULD be the best team. We'll know a lot more this weekend. Texas has a win slightly better than ours. That's about it. They were also 5-7 last year in the worst of the P5 conferences. TCU just lost to the worst Arkansas team in three years. Who knows about Baylor. Of course there's Houston.

Gipper, Colorado did leave before us. 4 teams don't jump ship from stable conferences.

Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

But War isn't right either.

A&M is not the best team in the state.

The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

There is one thing I am certainly not wrong about: Michigan sucks and Harbaugh is an asshat.

Wow after years of Columbus having that distinction I forgot about Austin.

And to me like the autos it's still Big 3 football, baseball, basketball on TV, attendance, revenues both professional and NCAA.

NHL is trying to gain some traction after some events like cancellation of an entire season. They're actually going to a 31st team in of all places Lost Wages, Nevada soon! Desperate huh, the others won't touch it. It's still largely a Canadian and northern states game.

Oh and what's this have to do with NCAA super conferences? They also tend to follow the population centers and where the money is to be made over time.

The NHL is older than the NFL, and the NBA, and is certainly one of the major sports. As for where they are located, they are in such northern cities as Miami, Tampa, Raleigh, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, Anaheim, LA, San Jose..(and yes, now Las Vegas)..they were in Atlanta until Atlanta no longer supported them.

And if I recall correctly, the NHL has a higher capacity percentage than the NBA (percent of seats sold). I am not sure about TV ratings and revenue. And yes, the sport was founded in Canada, and is big in Canada. So what? Don't be mysoginistic.

Who is? I said we COULD be the best team. We'll know a lot more this weekend. Texas has a win slightly better than ours. That's about it. They were also 5-7 last year in the worst of the P5 conferences. TCU just lost to the worst Arkansas team in three years. Who knows about Baylor. Of course there's Houston.

Gipper, Colorado did leave before us. 4 teams don't jump ship from stable conferences.

Well, like I said, I wasn't sure of the Colorado/TAMU timing. There is Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, what was the 4th? Arkansas? Were they ever part of the Big 12?

But just because there are changes in a conference doesn't mean that a league is unstable. The SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12 all have had changes too. And the Big 12 is adding teams. (though I am NOT of the opinion that WVa and Cincinnati should be part of the Big 12. The ACC would be a better fit for them).

As for TAMU and Arkansas, that game is yet to be played, no? We shall see. If they beat TC..which has been far better in the recent past, they can beat you.

You got Auburn today. Worry about them.

The NHL is older than the NFL, and the NBA, and is certainly one of the major sports. As for where they are located, they are in such northern cities as Miami, Tampa, Raleigh, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, Anaheim, LA, San Jose..(and yes, now Las Vegas)..they were in Atlanta until Atlanta no longer supported them.

And if I recall correctly, the NHL has a higher capacity percentage than the NBA (percent of seats sold). I am not sure about TV ratings and revenue. And yes, the sport was founded in Canada, and is big in Canada. So what? Don't be mysoginistic.

On the NHL I like it mainly the Penguins during the Lemieux era and somewhat now during the Syd the Kid reduced interest era in still hockey tv hungry Pittsburgh. But the PIT/SJ 2016 Stanley Cup Final was one of the lowest-rated National Hockey League title tilts since the sport returned to NBC 11 years ago. And while partisans can offer up more excuses for the weak turnout the fact remains that hockey simply is no longer a consistent TV draw. It is also 4th in most all other money matters but still above that boring soccer (recess for big kids, lol).

Those 10 of 30 soon to be 11 of 31 non-northern cities are necessary to try to keep the NHL growing. Canada and even some northern US cities have lost unprofitable teams over the years much to the dismay of many Canadians and old hockey loyalists.

(edit add- oh my dad was a good hockey player, baseball player and a great boxer before and during the WWII era, a champ in the Navy when he wasn't dodging Nazi fighters)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the once great Big 8 later Big 12 did it implode or just explode? Too bad it was a good conference long ago.

Well, like I said, I wasn't sure of the Colorado/TAMU timing. There is Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, what was the 4th? Arkansas? Were they ever part of the Big 12?

But just because there are changes in a conference doesn't mean that a league is unstable. The SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12 all have had changes too. And the Big 12 is adding teams. (though I am NOT of the opinion that WVa and Cincinnati should be part of the Big 12. The ACC would be a better fit for them).

As for TAMU and Arkansas, that game is yet to be played, no? We shall see. If they beat TC..which has been far better in the recent past, they can beat you.

You got Auburn today. Worry about them.

Beating "TC" who has been better than us in the past means a team who we've beaten FOUR YEARS IN A ROW will beat us. #logic

What's funny is that if we had TCU's resume and they had ours you would 100%, 0 doubt about it say "they are 2 (now 3)-0. You have a loss. Ergo, they are better." So again, stop trolling.

Auburn--check.

Everybody still super impressed with Houston's OU win?

Archived