THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie wants the job.....

Mudfly

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more qualified than you or me OR bernie kosar. how many years has bernie put in as a scout in the NFL? (chirp. chirp.)

More qualified than you or BK or myself...yes.

Is he any good at it....NO.

was a lousy GM? i think he's still employed by the browns. and btw the manziel pick was not his but haslam's. can people get that through their heads?

He was a lousy LB, and he IS a lousy GM.

The body of work speaks for itself mik.

Ok Bernie lovers.....here it is....he says he can turn it around in 1-2 years or he'll fire himself.....

1) Do you think he actually can?

2) Would he get more "patience" than the Farmer? (or others before him)

3) Would he need rehab, ala Johnny, before coming in?...(serious question, btw)...

I know folks are talking we should hire Peyton Manning, so why not Bernie instead?....personally, I have no reason to believe Manning is GM material(or Bernie ftm)...

.....but I do know Bernie knows football and how to use players....just dont know if he can evaluate and pick em......

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/11/08/bernie-kosar-says-hire-me-to-fix-browns/

you make a great point...not sure if he can evaluate. guess the only way to find out is to hire him...mudfly, what the fuck else do we have to lose at this point? seriously

Ozzie Mewsome has been terrific. Why not hire some former Browns?

We don't know for sure if other former players will do as well as ozzie. At this point, I'd give bernie a shot at some position at the end of the season. Why not? Everyone else has done such a fucking wonerful job up to this point...Yeah right...

Bernie's had alcohol related issues and lacks experience, no thanks

Sounds like that Quarterback everyone wants us to play...... :D

I say we should put Bernie upstairs(in the box) and in the QB's ear......Then he can make all the calls right at the LOS......

I say we should put Bernie upstairs(in the box) and in the QB's ear......Then he can make all the calls right at the LOS......

This...he would be a better QB coach than a GM. I would want him on the sidelines though, yelling at guys when they decide to start joking around and laughing as they're getting embarrassed on the field.

That died. Go fund me shut it down for fraud allegations.

They really missed on that site name... should have been:

Go Fund Yourself...

Classic stuff.

If anyone thinks QBs coming out of college don't drink - they're still looking for reindeer and sleds in the sky carrying a fat guy in a red suit once a year. You should have seen and heard about what a party legend Jim Kelly was in a great college town/city like Buffalo. That was the QB Bernie learned from on and off the field.

Drinking among pro athletes isn't even exclusive to football if anyone knows the Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle stories. Some guys that make a lot of dumb decisions just stand out more when they do drink.

Here's the thing ,if you tell a guy that likes to drink he's just going to be a mannequin - what's going to give himj incentive to stop partying. There's Brett Favre in Atlanta and there's Brett Favre in GB right? What changed? Empowerment of responsibility to the extent improvement witnessed was improvement rewarded. If they kept stopping that with "no, we need to see what the 35 year old Detmer still has" - what would have been the urgency to get him there? We'redoing the same thing with a first round draft pick nobody in our fan base drafted. He's 1-1 in starts this year while the 36 year old alternative is playing well; BUT not really showing me this concept of he gives us our best chance to win in a record of 1-6 in starts. Our defense gave him the ball at the Denver 39 in OT and we went backward about 15 yards.

We have about 7 games left in a season where our defense doesn't look like it's headed for the playoffs - making these unofficial preseason games. I cannot fathom drafting a QB in round 1 you never had any intentions of playing. If that's not grounds for get the flock outta here - what is? They would have ruined Derek Carr just as easily overthinking what Heaven above was putting on their door step in the last 2 first rounds.

Classic stuff.

If anyone thinks QBs coming out of college don't drink - they're still looking for reindeer and sleds in the sky carrying a fat guy in a red suit once a year.

Everybody drinks.....most dont need 3 months of rehab....most dont blow off their job for a whole year....and most dont have pics of them in a bathroom with rolled up bills....(you think that was a straw for his beer???)

There's Brett Favre in Atlanta and there's Brett Favre in GB right? What changed?

His team gave up on him....thats what changed. (See Chris Carter for another example)

I cannot fathom drafting a QB in round 1 you never had any intentions of playing.

Nor can I....but I do think the Browns fully intended to play him.....and probably last year, ftm......he didnt come prepared though

They would have ruined Derek Carr just as easily overthinking what Heaven above was putting on their door step in the last 2 first rounds.

Ruined??.....do you actually think the Browns "ruined" Johnny???.....How about the idea that Pettines tough love IS THE REASON Johnny even got it together???

I say....had we just started him, he would have continued on his wreckless "im not changing for anyone" streak....and no reason to believe otherwise...

Ive been saying to play him.....just have zero confidence he'll do anything productive.........110 yds & 11 pts a game aint gonna get it done.....

Seriously, wtf is up with everybody wanting Bernie for the GM role? Dude was a good QB in his day, but everybody needs to take off the nostalgia beer googles on this one before we jump off that particular cliff. Bernie has no GM experience whatsoever, and he's been retired for damn near two decades. If he had it in him to be a GM for a NFL team, he would've already been hired by a team by now.

Well Bernie would never be hired because it would prolly make us better. And for jbluhm... what experienced GM would we get? We are a training ground and our current GM doesnt have any exp either. At least people actually like Bernie and i bet he could actually find a good coach who wants to coach for him and would be all around better than farmer.

Mud, we normally agree, but you seem blind to the fact that Pettine's "dog house" has no way out.

I don't know WHAT Johnny's motivation for rehab was, but unless he bought into it, it would NOT have worked. Credit there to Johnny.

Gaines & Bademosi vs Gilbert (inactive)...GREAT move, hunh?

One of our "big" WR, Bowe, healthy inactive today after his only 3 catches were against Cinci with Johnny as QB.

Johnny played a hell of a game & I believe we'll see more improvement IF he has more opportunities to play.

I honestly feel Pettine is more concerned with utilizing "his boys" (players AND coaches) than he is in winning. Play the best? Are you going to tell me Bademosi is a better corner than Gilbert? Gaines better? (and I have NOT been a Gilbert fan).

Given our current staff, do ANY of you really see a top drawer, still productive free agent signing here? If so, my Dad would have said "You're having pipe dreams".

I don't push Bernie as GM, but we sure could use him as a consultant...also guys like Joe Jurevicious, Hanford Dixon, & Bob Golic. WHY aren't we reaching out to these guys who, unlike our coaching staff, KNOW how to win in the NFL & understand the Browns proud tradition? In short, we need to light a fire!

Count me as one who sees Mike Pettine (and very probably Ray Farmer) as a roadblock to winning. I don't like "blowing things up" either, BUT.....

Mike

Mud,

I'm not going to give Pettine any credit at all for being a church mouse when it was time to tell Haslam Manziel is all wrong for us when he had his chance to. The time to do it 1-2 years later isn't admirable to me. I see more of a coward than I someone I need to appreciate. If he understood addiction at all - the only person that it was up to this late was the 21 year old that was addicted. But was he REALLY addicted or was he just 21? I don't see Pettine as a hero here. I do agree with a lot of other points you made.

I think Manziel has a much better start to his career than Blake Bortles has had as a #3 overall. If we traded back up in round 1 to draft a QB Pettine only wanted to take a back seat to a 36 year old too beat up to answer the bell (1 year after Hoyer flat lined with 5 games left) - is the problem really the 22 year old Qb? Sorry can't agree the biggest evil here isn't a 22 year old QB. Drafting another one early next year won't be the tourniquet. Promise. This is as dysfunctional as I've ever seen things here.

Ruined??.....do you actually think the Browns "ruined" Johnny???.....How about the idea that Pettines tough love IS THE REASON Johnny even got it together???

I say....had we just started him, he would have continued on his wreckless "im not changing for anyone" streak....and no reason to believe otherwise...

Ive been saying to play him.....just have zero confidence he'll do anything productive.........110 yds & 11 pts a game aint gonna get it done.....

Mud, we normally agree, but you seem blind to the fact that Pettine's "dog house" has no way out.

I don't know WHAT Johnny's motivation for rehab was, but unless he bought into it, it would NOT have worked. Credit there to Johnny.

Gaines & Bademosi vs Gilbert (inactive)...GREAT move, hunh?

One of our "big" WR, Bowe, healthy inactive today after his only 3 catches were against Cinci with Johnny as QB.

Johnny played a hell of a game & I believe we'll see more improvement IF he has more opportunities to play.

I honestly feel Pettine is more concerned with utilizing "his boys" (players AND coaches) than he is in winning. Play the best? Are you going to tell me Bademosi is a better corner than Gilbert? Gaines better? (and I have NOT been a Gilbert fan).

Given our current staff, do ANY of you really see a top drawer, still productive free agent signing here? If so, my Dad would have said "You're having pipe dreams".

I don't push Bernie as GM, but we sure could use him as a consultant...also guys like Joe Jurevicious, Hanford Dixon, & Bob Golic. WHY aren't we reaching out to these guys who, unlike our coaching staff, KNOW how to win in the NFL & understand the Browns proud tradition? In short, we need to light a fire!

Count me as one who sees Mike Pettine (and very probably Ray Farmer) as a roadblock to winning. I don't like "blowing things up" either, BUT.....

Mike

Great post Mike! I wish I saw this before I replied.

totally disagree.

a business owner hires a person to do a job. if he doesn't let them do the job as promised then he is an impediment. if the person hired doesn't do the job as promised then they get fired.

but what were the terms? if you are sitting in a job interview and are given certain guarantees, then you should be able to do your job w/o the fear of someone standing over your back scrutinizing every move. if at the end of all the agreements and promises things aren't kosher then part ways. fine. you got a fair shot. but you failed or you accomplished what was asked of you.

so the manziel fans (hmmm) are going to complain about pettine and say he should go when he's been here about the same amount of time BUT because he doesn't start 'your' boy he doesn't deserve the same consideration that manziel should get.

please guys, just stop it. it's the same 45 that you play every year when you realize we are going no where and the needle skips across the vinyl.

GOD KNOWS DOING THE SAME HIRING AND FIRING IS THE BEST WAY TO FIX THIS!

BRING BACK HOLMGREN!!!

GOD KNOWS YOU BOUGHT INTO THAT YOU SUCKERS.

NOW BUY INTO A MEDIA DRIVEN, CRY BABY FAN BASE THAT CAN'T KEEP BITCHING ABOUT HOW MANY QBS WE'VE HAD SINCE GOD KNOWS WHEN BUT IT'S NOT THE PLAYERS FAULT AT ALL. IT'S THE COACH AND THE GM AND THE BALL BOY AND YOUR SISTER'S ASS.

totally disagree.

a business owner hires a person to do a job. if he doesn't let them do the job as promised then he is an impediment. if the person hired doesn't do the job as promised then they get fired.

but what were the terms? if you are sitting in a job interview and are given certain guarantees, then you should be able to do your job w/o the fear of someone standing over your back scrutinizing every move. if at the end of all the agreements and promises things aren't kosher then part ways. fine. you got a fair shot. but you failed or you accomplished what was asked of you.

so the manziel fans (hmmm) are going to complain about pettine and say he should go when he's been here about the same amount of time BUT because he doesn't start 'your' boy he doesn't deserve the same consideration that manziel should get.

please guys, just stop it. it's the same 45 that you play every year when you realize we are going no where and the needle skips across the vinyl.

Mik,

I've got to disagree.

Pettine was hired to win with defense & a strong running game, NEITHER of which have been even close to being delivered. In fact, if you check stats, I do believe we have regressed. I also see poor fundamentals & excessive penalties. Who, if anyone, is coaching this Team? As you know, I've been a Browns' Fan a LONG time & this is the worst I can remember as far as discipline & fundamentals go.

I got a one word text from an old, respected friend after the game. The word was........"PATHETIC". This guy & I have argued before about Johnny's value, but when I called him after his text, he said, "Manziel was the LEAST of our problems, the coaches don't know what they're doing".

Mike

Mik,

I've got to disagree.

Pettine was hired to win with defense & a strong running game, NEITHER of which have been even close to being delivered. In fact, if you check stats, I do believe we have regressed. I also see poor fundamentals & excessive penalties. Who, if anyone, is coaching this Team? As you know, I've been a Browns' Fan a LONG time & this is the worst I can remember as far as discipline & fundamentals go.

I got a one word text from an old, respected friend after the game. The word was........"PATHETIC". This guy & I have argued before about Johnny's value, but when I called him after his text, he said, "Manziel was the LEAST of our problems, the coaches don't know what they're doing".

Mike

i hear you and i understand your point of view. to me this is not about one player. and for me, even though it's seemed we have regressed, it's not about the defense as well (not that their lack of nothingness can be called an attribute).

we have no offensive threats. if you want to blame farmer for that, fine. but you'll have to lump in pettine, his whole staff and the owner on that one.

there are a lot of people that have different views on how a team should be built. i was taught by some very wise people early on that building a football team is a lot like building a baseball team. strength up the middle and build out from there. and in football it's more about the fight for dominating one's OL and tearing apart the other's. we have a center on the OL that (if he stays) is a pro-bowler, a LT that is a HOFer and if looking at the numbers the OL isn't the problem. farmer has obviously tried to build a strong tough defense. i mean last year we were great on D except vs the run. you think danny shelton was picked just for the hell of it with our first pick? problem with the D is we have players but maybe 2 or 3 'stars'. no LBs that seal the edges and some corners if beaten by a step give up huge gains.

there are a lot of teams winning games that give up 3 tds a game. OUR problem is we can't stay on the field long enough to get out of the defenses way. the D is gassed before halftime because of the lack of time of possession on the O side of the ball. where's a rb that's done anything for the team since a one year flash peyton hillis? who's been a downfield threat (disregarding gordon here) since butter fingers braylon?

please fill the holes in on defense but if we don't pick a bonafide thoroughbred RB and a 6'7" hybrid te/wr within our first 3 picks next year then I'LL be calling for farmer's head.

(btw....disagreeing and having different opinions is not a bad thing. i've been with my woman for almost 30 years and we have nothing in common. B) )

just don't try that within the islamic faith though......

totally disagree.

Mik, You're an easy guy to respect and I usually agree with not fire to rehire every other year but this bullshit about bringing in a QB Pettine didn't have the gonads to speak up against PREDRAFT until we're in season #2 - means he's a church mouse ready to get rathoused like he did today. On top of that if Defene is his expertise, his 32nd ranked defense is the margin of error around QB while our running game has regressed dramatically since 2014.

Who's gotten better from the coaching - what position group beside 2 obvious exceptions to an overall rule (Benjamin and Barnidge)?

If we're going to hear picks and FA selections were a Democracy - what's with the kiddy games to punish the people Pettine didn't approve of? We deserve better. And what's his fascination with knee high and ankle high WRs? That may win in high school but the little fellers are fumbling at contact. It took Gabriel 3 weeks to get over his post traumatic stress syndrome from the Bubble screen at St Louis.

This staff has turned our season into pre-season football caliber importance as early as mid season. They've lost all our entire defense while many of our offensive vets think they're full of crap. I hate saying all this but it's what I'm seeing.

Mik, You're an easy guy to respect and I usually agree with not fire to rehire every other year but this bullshit about bringing in a QB Pettine didn't have the gonads to speak up against PREDRAFT until we're in season #2 - means he's a church mouse ready to get rathoused like he did today. On top of that if Defene is his expertise, his 32nd ranked defense is the margin of error around QB while our running game has regressed dramatically since 2014.

Who's gotten better from the coaching - what position group beside 2 obvious exceptions to an overall rule (Benjamin and Barnidge)?

If we're going to hear picks and FA selections were a Democracy - what's with the kiddy games to punish the people Pettine didn't approve of? We deserve better. And what's his fascination with knee high and ankle high WRs? That may win in high school but the little fellers are fumbling at contact. It took Gabriel 3 weeks to get over his post traumatic stress syndrome from the Bubble screen at St Louis.

This staff has turned our season into pre-season football caliber importance as early as mid season. They've lost all our entire defense while many of our offensive vets think they're full of crap. I hate saying all this but it's what I'm seeing.

but i believe the midgets were here before the pettine/farmer regime started.?...?

who would have thought that the bills defense, the browns defense and the texans defense (OMG jj watts OMG!!) would look as shitty as they have this year? not ONE person thought we would regress because of anything except MAYBE a tougher schedule?

i'm a pro defense guy. you have no idea how much it frustrates me to see these guys give up a 3 yard gain and have to stay on the field for another 20 minutes.

people have figured us out. plain and simple. i don't know if flip or o'neill have it in them to counter measure the opposing coaches schemes. BUT these guys are babies in the lifetime of a coaching career. i'm sure bear bryant or lombardi or whoever you might look to as being great didn't have a learning curve that overwhelmed them at first. to me, i say let the guy at LEAST have a shot a figuring it out. sure, some of these decisions are costing us games but if you really want to pinpoint the probs it's on the field with the dudes that are suited up. i don't hate manziel. hell i really don't hate anyone. i just 'disliked' what his pick last year did to the team and the org. people flying in from all angles cuz they liked what the kid did in college. HEY, no probs. i've gained a couple of friends i woulda never known because they came on here and stayed for the long haul.

i know i'm babbling at this point but maybe it's because i'm surrounded by so many other fans that i'm like on an island and it's my own little bad dream that's been going on since the 90s. my only point and it's not to take away from other fan's opinions or deep rooted concerns is: man, we can't just keep doing the same thing when it sucks and redo it again and expect it to get better.

hell, tomlin walked into a great job and won some games but he's no chuck knoll or bill cowher. and i'm sure some steeler fans expect better and bark about getting rid of him. what about garrett? the smart owners stick with a plan and stay the course until they see the iceberg. i think the iceberg is about a year away. and wouldn't it be amazing if we didn't make any changes except for some draft picks and FA acquisitions that this time next year we are a 7 and 2 team?

people's minds will be wiped clean like a middle school's chalkboard.

and listen. relationships with friends and family are more important than having a knife fight over the same girl you both love........(wasn't too weird, was it?)

We do not have the "3 & outs" to the extent we used to. Our D players are getting gassed by running on & off the field as we are constantly changing personnel. I think that's a huge problem. Shelton is (IMHO) a very valuable player who is poorly utilized due to changing personnel & is one of the players expending excessive energy running off & on the field.

Agree on the offense. We need larger WRs & a stud RB (can we say Zeke Elliott?) and while the return of a focused, committed Josh Gordon making intelligent decisions & choices would help, I feel it's foolish to PLAN on that happening.

BTW, You're right re disagreeing. I've been married 45 years & we're STILL on different pages! LOL

Mike

but i believe the midgets were here before the pettine/farmer regime started.?...?

who would have thought that the bills defense, the browns defense and the texans defense (OMG jj watts OMG!!) would look as shitty as they have this year? not ONE person thought we would regress because of anything except MAYBE a tougher schedule?

i'm a pro defense guy. you have no idea how much it frustrates me to see these guys give up a 3 yard gain and have to stay on the field for another 20 minutes.

people have figured us out. plain and simple. i don't know if flip or o'neill have it in them to counter measure the opposing coaches schemes. BUT these guys are babies in the lifetime of a coaching career. i'm sure bear bryant or lombardi or whoever you might look to as being great didn't have a learning curve that overwhelmed them at first. to me, i say let the guy at LEAST have a shot a figuring it out. sure, some of these decisions are costing us games but if you really want to pinpoint the probs it's on the field with the dudes that are suited up. i don't hate manziel. hell i really don't hate anyone. i just 'disliked' what his pick last year did to the team and the org. people flying in from all angles cuz they liked what the kid did in college. HEY, no probs. i've gained a couple of friends i woulda never known because they came on here and stayed for the long haul.

i know i'm babbling at this point but maybe it's because i'm surrounded by so many other fans that i'm like on an island and it's my own little bad dream that's been going on since the 90s. my only point and it's not to take away from other fan's opinions or deep rooted concerns is: man, we can't just keep doing the same thing when it sucks and redo it again and expect it to get better.

hell, tomlin walked into a great job and won some games but he's no chuck knoll or bill cowher. and i'm sure some steeler fans expect better and bark about getting rid of him. what about garrett? the smart owners stick with a plan and stay the course until they see the iceberg. i think the iceberg is about a year away. and wouldn't it be amazing if we didn't make any changes except for some draft picks and FA acquisitions that this time next year we are a 7 and 2 team?

people's minds will be wiped clean like a middle school's chalkboard.

and listen. relationships with friends and family are more important than having a knife fight over the same girl you both love........(wasn't too weird, was it?)

Good post. I think Hawkins was the only Ooompa Loompa here before Pettine. We added Gabriel as a 2014 UFA.

I never though Bernie Kosar was very intelligent. From my perspective, as a man of science and technology, I always thought he was dumber than shit.

When commentators used to talk about him being "the smartest QB" I wanted to puke. They could never compliment him for his physical ability so they invented that goofy shit. "Bernie is a brilliant businessman, Bernie is a brilliant QB, Bernie is a brilliant problem solver".

All bullshit. They guy is broke, he embarassed himself by going on air drunk, and then made a complete ass of himself by blaminf his slurring on head trauma. he concocted a story about seeing a brain specialist................... his doctor, Ron Sponaugle is a fucking detox doctor.

Yeah, soldiers get shot in the head, drivers go through the windshield head first, ball players get bashed in the peach............. and where do they go for head trauma? To the fucking Detox center!!!!!

Kosar was a man of heart, no doubt about it. But he is not going to lead anyone, any where................. and here is why............

1) He never had killer instinct. In the DRIVE game, he single handedly lost a trip to the SB. The Browns won the toss for OT. Kosar came out like a pussy, afraid to go for the jugular. Watch the game, the Broncos players were jumping for joy watching Kosar, you can hear them saying...."we're oging to win, he's playing not to lose". Kosar couldn't close the deal. He is not championship material.

2) He is not a man of character. Instead of being a man and saying, "yes, I have an alcohol problem", he instead blames the league and fabricates some goofy story with a quack doctor to pass the blame. He's a lying drunk.

I feel bad for the guy. He has suffered a lot of bad times, and I wish him well, Hell, if nothing else to get him on his feet, give him a couple years to restore his pride and dignity. However, if the goal is restoring pride and dignity to the team? Then get someone else.

And who would you hire Ghoolie? More importantly who the fuck wants to come here? This team is an absolute joke. No one and I mean NO ONE wants to be here. When they do get here they immediately take the attitude of "Fuck this it's the browns who cares"

Let Kosar try to help this shitshow. He literally cannot do any worse. And honestly he's given the browns their best moments since my mother was 8 years old.

I never though Bernie Kosar was very intelligent. From my perspective, as a man of science and technology, I always thought he was dumber than shit.

When commentators used to talk about him being "the smartest QB" I wanted to puke. They could never compliment him for his physical ability so they invented that goofy shit. "Bernie is a brilliant businessman, Bernie is a brilliant QB, Bernie is a brilliant problem solver".

All bullshit. They guy is broke, he embarassed himself by going on air drunk, and then made a complete ass of himself by blaminf his slurring on head trauma. he concocted a story about seeing a brain specialist................... his doctor, Ron Sponaugle is a fucking detox doctor.

Yeah, soldiers get shot in the head, drivers go through the windshield head first, ball players get bashed in the peach............. and where do they go for head trauma? To the fucking Detox center!!!!!

Kosar was a man of heart, no doubt about it. But he is not going to lead anyone, any where................. and here is why............

1) He never had killer instinct. In the DRIVE game, he single handedly lost a trip to the SB. The Browns won the toss for OT. Kosar came out like a pussy, afraid to go for the jugular. Watch the game, the Broncos players were jumping for joy watching Kosar, you can hear them saying...."we're oging to win, he's playing not to lose". Kosar couldn't close the deal. He is not championship material.

2) He is not a man of character. Instead of being a man and saying, "yes, I have an alcohol problem", he instead blames the league and fabricates some goofy story with a quack doctor to pass the blame. He's a lying drunk.

I feel bad for the guy. He has suffered a lot of bad times, and I wish him well, Hell, if nothing else to get him on his feet, give him a couple years to restore his pride and dignity. However, if the goal is restoring pride and dignity to the team? Then get someone else.

Excellent post

Archived