THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns BEST picks....everrrrrrrr

Mudfly

Ok.....did the worst picks.....so lets give some credit for the good picks too.....

Id say it would be easy to come up with some good 1st round picks....some obvious ones would be Jim Brown, Paul Warfield, Ozzie Newsome, Clay Mathews, Hanford Dixon, Bernie Kosar, Joe Thomas, Mike Pruitt & Eric Turner.......and in fairness, Don Rogers was pretty amazing for the short time we had him......so there are my top 10 first rounders......

But....how about late picks that really turned into something special.....like....

10) Andra Davis.........5th round.....LB

09) Mike Babb............5th round.....C

08) Doug Dieken........6th round....T

07) Cody Reisen........7th round.....T

06) Eddie Johnson.....7th round....LB

05) Reggie Langhorne..7th round....WR

04) Paul Farren.........12th round.....T...g...c....etc

03) Dick Ambrose.....12th round....LB

02) Ernest Byner......10th round....RB

01) Brian Sipe...........13th round....QB.......and the best NON-FIRST ROUND pick ever....imho...

Please add my favorite 1st rounder for the Browns, Eric Metcalf from Texas. I always admired his play and was elated that he was never on a Texas team that beat A&M. But damn he was scary good every time he touched the ball.

Love the BamBam pick, Mud...

Right off the bat I'd like to nominate a new, #1...

Leroy Kelly... 8th round... Draft Class of '64... HOF Class of '94

The guy had to step in for Jim Brown... and did it better than we had any right to expect.

Also Bobby Mitchell was an 8th in '58... HOF '83...

2nd Round is a bit high for the theme, but WTF... it let's me mention Jerry Sherk ('70)... still IMO the best DL to ever play for us.

Another personal DL fav... Jack Gregory (9th in '66)

More oldies from the later rounds...

- John Wooten (5th in '59)

- Gene Hickerson (8th in '57)

Honorable mention:

- John Havlicek (7th in '62)... HOF in '84... but he chose a different sport.

Please add my favorite 1st rounder for the Browns, Eric Metcalf from Texas. I always admired his play and was elated that he was never on a Texas team that beat A&M. But damn he was scary good every time he touched the ball.

This was one of the best days of my life:

Love the BamBam pick, Mud...

Right off the bat I'd like to nominate a new, #1...

Leroy Kelly... 8th round... Draft Class of '64... HOF Class of '94

2nd Round is a bit high for the theme, but WTF... it let's me mention Jerry Sherk ('70)... still IMO the best DL to ever play for us.

Right...Leroy Kelly was amazing......but, for my list, the cut off was 1970....

Sherk was one I thought about, but like you said......2nd round......(a lot of our best players were 2nd rounders)

Where's Turkey Jones on this list? Gotta be up there.

He's a 2nd rounder too.....

D line 2nd rounders included Michael Dean Perry, Jerry Sherk, Keith Baldwin & Turkey Jones....

And Greg Pruitt & Dennis Northcutt ......

I think Ill call the 2nd round "the nick name" round.....Turkey Jones, Dean of Defense, The Cube, KJ, WebStar and DQ were all 2nds too.....

Vagitron and Douche are pleased... :P

HA!....and all the good stuff REALLY happened before 1970..... ;)

For instance.....I was just researching our WR picks over the years to see where our best ones came from.....and with everyone saying how Farmer hates WR's, I wanted to see where we picked them prior to his coming on board.....so, some interesting stuff....

First...our last FIRST round WRs who were any good?......Gary Collins 1962 and Paul Warfield 1964.....so, it's been 52 years since weve scored a WR in the first round......52 years.....52 years....(no wonder the Browns have an aversion)

And in the last 52 years, weve picked only 4 WR's in the first......

(Thats 1 every 13 years)(so its not just Farmer now, is it?)

Steve Holden

Willis Adams

Derrick Alexander

Braylon Edwards.....

Who are our best(all time) receivers since 1970 and where did we get em?...

Reggie Rucker..........waiver wire(Dal)

Webster Slaughter....2nd rnd

Dave Logan..............3rd rnd

Brian Brennan..........4th rnd

Kevin Johnson..........2nd rnd.....

Not a single first rounder on the list.....

Looks awesome Z, were you at the stadium?

Nope, I was at the Sports Page, here in Naples Florida. Watching it with a chick that was a Browns fan. We were surrounded by about 20 filthy Steeler fans who wouldn't shut up the whole game.

Metcalf shut them up ... and then we let them have it!

Zombo

The rest of the story? In his 6 years as a Brown, we never really figured out how to use Eric on Offense. Only twice did he exceed 1000 yd combined for us.

In year 7 with ATL he had almost 1200 yd receiving and had his best year as a pro with over 1330 combined.

(Thats 1 every 13 years)(so its not just Farmer now, is it?)

Just maybe playing on the Lake has something to do with it? On top of the running history of the league a "cold weather style" also factored in.

If you think about late season, weather condition patterns do seem to emerge. Off the top of my head Great Lakes teams generally spend fewer high picks on WRs. Notable exception is Detroit, which tried to make up for every other Lake team, but they are a dome team. Ditto the Vikes.

Can you name a great Bear WR?

... a great Bills WR outside of Reed?

Where's Gip when you need him?

The rest of the story?

Ah Tour, you need to get your mind down in the gutter with me. I was referring to the rest of the story in terms of did he get some from the "chick that was a Browns fan" that watched it with him. Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

Ah Tour, you need to get your mind down in the gutter with me. I was referring to the rest of the story in terms of did he get some from the "chick that was a Browns fan" that watched it with him. Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

I knew what you meant ;)

Come on Z, after you let the steelers fans have it did you let her have it...

Not only do we get to beat the Stoolers tomorrow we can seriously dent their chances of making the post season!

Yep.....specially after we beat them the second time....this will be the first year, in a long time, that we beat em twice....:)

I knew what you meant ;)

Come on Z, after you let the steelers fans have it did you let her have it...

Ya, she wasn't that hot, had a big ass though. I'm sure after that great win I threw her a bone.

Zombo

What....no love for Kevin Mack? supplemental pick...2 pro bowls

Definitely one of my all time favorite backs....Im sure there is LOTS and LOTS of love for Mack....;)

He was part of the biggest/fastest influx of talent weve ever had.....thanks to the USFL....

In 84-85 we drafted Don Rogers, Chris Rockins, Ernest Byner, Brian Brennan, Bernie Kosar, Kevin Mack, Gerald McNeil, Mike Johnson, Reggie Langhorne and Frank Minnefield....

Kablammo!

Definitely one of my all time favorite backs....Im sure there is LOTS and LOTS of love for Mack....;)

He was part of the biggest/fastest influx of talent weve ever had.....thanks to the USFL....

In 84-85 we drafted Don Rogers, Chris Rockins, Ernest Byner, Brian Brennan, Bernie Kosar, Kevin Mack, Gerald McNeil, Mike Johnson, Reggie Langhorne and Frank Minnefield....

Kablammo!

See, we don't always draft horribly. It's just a feast or famine thing. We sure are due for some lightning to strike

Archived