THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Pettine with not so great clock management.

WalterWhite

This was beyond embarrassing! Monday night football at home and you can't even eek out a win Pettine! 2-10 and they deserve to be 2-10. Sad part of all this is the draft pick will probably suck like all the other draft picks!

I kept hoping Mike would improve with his gameday management, but if anything, he has found new and innovative ways to look completely inept.

Actually more pissed about having 9 seconds left at the very edge of field goal range with one timeout left (meaning you can throw the ball across the middle) and they run a flipping draw play for -2 yards.

Don't throw a 5-10 yard slant, bang the timeout and kick... Why do that when our run game is so great...

Actually more pissed about having 9 seconds left at the very edge of field goal range with one timeout left (meaning you can throw the ball across the middle) and they run a flipping draw play for -2 yards.

Don't throw a 5-10 yard slant, bang the timeout and kick... Why do that when our run game is so great...

^This.

Good times watching it live.

Z

I changed the thread title- most high school coaches know better clock management. The below is why Mike Pettine has bought his ticket out of town. But there are other reasons. Most namely his "Swiss Cheese" defense.

Why is Josh a backup? Being at the game- Because (on one play) he tosses a "safe" pass to Barnidge- while Duke had slipped coverage, and had a near certain TD- with no RatBird defender within 20 yards of him.

@Mr_KevinJones: Lost in all that: How does Mike Pettine not call a timeout with QB Austin Davis out there melting? A legit 20 seconds were wasted

You can't make this stuff up. We waste 30 seconds when we have 2 timeouts and then have to burn 1 when Davis slides in bounds. Pettine hasn't learned. May as well start over. I really want flip to stay as OC though. Need continuity on offense if we keep Manziel and Davis..

Ah, here is what works pretty good for me. Pettine really stinks, we don't have one skill position player who could start on any NFL playoff team, the owners listens to dickheads like Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar, Doug Dicknose and who else in the media God only knows............

So with all that going on.................. I don't watch this shit.

You go into McDonalds, you pay 8 bucks and you get a sandwich deal. Sometimes it tastes great, but, ha, you know's it not that good. Nothing wrong with that. But you guys are amazing.............you go to a fast food place, you pay Ruth's Chris prices, and you don't even get a McDonald's caliber meal................... and THEN.................. you keep coming back again and again.

Seriously, what the fuck were you expecting to happen tonight?

Fans who lived to see Nelson, Ryan, Brown, Sipe and even Kosar, at least have a logical reason, albeit severely past waning, for being Browns fans. But you pole-smoking Gen-X and Millennial fucktards? WTF are you even doing supporting this shit pile? You have no heritage, no memories of good times, tough Steeler rivalries, HOF bound players and great player nicknames Really, if you are a 30 something, you haven't lived to see Jack Shit about the Browns.

Being a fan of the Browns, if you are under 40, came to you simply because someone told you to do it. If you were in another city, never knew anything about the Browns, and were given this shit franchise called something other than the Browns, you wouldn't watch it at all.

Again, why waste valuable life watching this meaningless shit?

At 35 I remember the kosar led browns clearly and that was actually the best time to be a Browns fan since my mother was 8 years old.

I would like to see what Mud says about this topic, as I tend to agree with a lot of his content and he brings up good points. When it comes to clock management, I'm not sure there is a way to defend Pettine this season, and certainly not after last night's debacle. I mean, we had around 50 seconds with two timeouts, right? Coaches can call timeouts in the NFL, so where were our coaches? If Pettine was lost in space, couldn't one of the coordinators do something? Were the players yelling anything? Hell, even the ANNOUNCERS were screaming for Pettine to call a timeout! I don't blame Austin for this, not one bit. Yes, he should've called a timeout, but as Gruden said, everything comes from the coaches or the "sidelines." Austin doesn't have autonomy or the authority to override the coach.

The very scary part about all of this is it shows a growing trend for Pettine. I don't have specific examples to cite off the top of my head, but throughout the season I remember there were times I was SCREAMING at the television for Pettine to take a timeout or spike the ball, and he failed to do so. The one that comes to mind is when we were driving at the end of one game and Benji caught the ball semi-deep in our opponent's territory right as time expired. The drive before that, Pettine didn't stop the clock. He said he "didn't want to do the opponent a favor." Uh...how about doing YOUR TEAM A FAVOR.

I was hoping that as he got more experience as a head coach, he would become more efficient with the clock, but that obviously hasn't happened.

Nailed it... Not trusting Davis in this critical moment to throw compounded any clock questions. Even a QB sneak would have been better than a hand off.

As for the clock questions... initially not calling time after a short gain was correct, but once Davis floundered the follow-up play-call and we saw the mismatch with the D, the TO should have been taken. You settle Davis back down and go over the situation, likely avoiding "the slide" which thanks in part to a bad spot cost us a full five yards... maybe more.

Bad ending to a heroic comeback effort.

Archived