THE BROWNS BOARD

Risky Business

BrownsBacker85

With no risk comes no reward.

A little risk can sometimes be very rewarding but more times than not the level of reward is seemingly proportionate to the level of risk.

This brings me to the Johnny Football and Flash Gordon discussion. I think we can (mostly) all agree that Johnny has the potential to be a force in the NFL and Josh, when on the field, IS a force in the NFL. So, the reward portion of the risk/reward equation should be clearly evident with these two individuals.

Risk. Both have plenty, commonly linked by off the field antics. So this question I propose to you; is the reward worth the risk? I suppose the answer to that question lies in the eyes of the beholder. Most national media members will tell you no. These two just simply are not worth the headache. Johnny can’t be the face of a franchise and Josh is one slip up away from another ban.

While I have to respect that point of view I cannot accept it as a viable option for the browns, cutting ties with Johnny and Josh. My Cleveland Browns are simply just not in a position to discard potential elite talent because of “risk”. We are beyond that. Years of perpetual losing have brought us to that point. What is there for the browns to lose? A little more time? What’s another year tacked on to the 16 year string of ineptitude we have been fed since the “rebirth”? If Johnny shows continued improvement to end the year he needs to be the unquestioned starter moving forward. Paired with Josh, pending reinstatement, the possibilities are exciting.

No risk, no reward.

In this case, for the Browns and their fans, the reward is well worth the risk.

Some risks are greater than others...

Just wrote in another thread that oddly, JM mentoring Gordon just might be helpful to both of them.

My opinion is Josh is worth the risk, Johnny is not.

I think we're dealing with two diiferrent issues between the two. I don't think Josh is addicted to any substance. I think his trangressions are more behavioral, a product of his early life upbinging in the toughest part of town where drug usage was the norm. I'm praying that he had sufficient time to realize this, and hopefully incorporate some protective measures to keep himself clean.

Johnny, on-the-other-hand, exhibits all of the signs of a true alcoholic, he is addicted to alcohol. He checked himself into rehab, so anyone doubting that he is, is just being unrealistic. You don't spend all of that time in rehab if you're not an alcoholic, you're there for recovery. They don't treat the "help me cut down a little bit" crowd. It didn't take him long to relapse and I think we'll see him, hopefully, go back into rehab at the end of the season. The good news is that he knows he has a problem and wants to address it. Right now, Johnny cannot be trusted.

Yes, I'd like to see them both on the field, especially with Barnidge and Benjamin. Throw a sub-4.4 Pryor into the mix and then it really get's interesting.

I say risk it! The Browns have had over a decade of losing! I don't know what the stats are but they haven't had but maybe 1 winning season since 1999. So not doing what you've been doing might work.

Not dogging your post OP, but what exactly are we risking with these two? More media circus? Who cares at this point. Put the bastards on the field and see what we got.

Id agree that it makes no sense to endure 2 years of Johnny & Josh shenanigans and then cut them loose before realizing any of the reward.....

Not that Farmer will do whats sensible though......who knows, he might just give em both away....

While I still think they could actually help each other, lumping Josh's in with JFF's distraction contribution may be the height of false equivalency.

Archived