THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns can essentially have two first-round picks (again)

Zombo

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/12/22/how-the-cleveland-browns-could-end-up-with-2-first-round-picks-in-2016-nfl-draft/#.VnoIptjlnXt.twitter

CLEVELAND (92.3 The Fan) – The Tennessee Titans have the inside edge at landing the No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft over the Browns, but fear not Cleveland.

By ending up with the No. 2 overall pick, the Browns could ultimately win by essentially holding a pair of first-round draft picks.

The Browns’ 28-14 week 2 win over Tennessee does not factor into the tie-breaking scenario. The reason is simple: preventing teams from tanking gamesicon1.png head-to-head to land a better pick.

The No. 1 tie breaker is strength of schedule followed by conferenceicon1.pngand divisional tie breakers.

Entering this week, the Titans’ collective strength of schedule is weaker than the Browns – .490 for Tennessee and .520 for Cleveland. With the Browns facing a pair of 9-5 teams in Kansas City and Pittsburgh while the Titans finish against the 7-7 Texans and 6-8 Colts, the S.O.S. math is not likely to change significantly in the Browns’ favor.

New England has surrendered it’s 2016 first-round selection as part of the “deflategate” punishment handed down by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in addition to a 2017 fourth round pick and $1 million fine.

Should the 2 teams tie and Tennessee end up with No. 1, NFL rules stipulate that the teams alternate top picks round to round meaning the Browns would pick first in round 2.

With only 31 selections being made in round 1 next April, the Browns would own the 32nd overall selection givingicon1.png them 2 of the first 32 picks for the third straight year and the fourth time in 5 years.

LOL 69. As a send off gift to Farmer, Jimmy could have Farmer Text Titians sidelines to get out of our way to Bosa or is that Treadwell we see their^^^

I was thinking about this the other day, and I agree...we just about have two first rounders, and that gives me hope for plugging some of the holes in our roster. Our team is basically a talent desert, and you can pick virtually any position group and make a valid argument as to why we need to upgrade it. The one thing I DON'T want is a first round QB. I want Johnny. I don't want to trade him after we did all the development. Yes, it's a gamble, and no...the development hasn't been "other worldly", but he's made progress.

We need a lot of things to go right, and it's about damn time we make it happen. Stick with Manziel and Gordon. Add other pieces, lose O'Neil, keep Pettine, and tell Farmer to piss off.

I know, it would be very hard. And I think once the combine madness starts, the fervor surrounding Bosa will approach epic levels. I don't know him that well, but he appears to be a guy that will have off the charts measurables. So let's say we get Bosa, as unrealistic as it might be considering who is drafting in front of us. Who do we get for our second pick? I haven't looked at that "second tier" level of WR's. You guys checked them out? I think that's what I want. I'm sick of passing on players like Funchess, Dorial Green Beckam, Allen Robinson, and a host of others. So who looks good?

If he's there when we draft, it'd be hard to pass on Bosa. If the Titans take him (because they don't need a QB) then there's nobody. Hopefully we could trade back, but I don't see who with.

"then there's nobody" ?

There's ALWAYS somebody. The good teams figure out who they are then drafts them. The bad teams look at 300 college players and say....."there's nobody".

Yeah, there's several guys that would make a big impact if Bosa is gone. Jalen Ramsey, Laquon Treadwell (a bit of a stretch at our pick, but we need him), that linebacker from Notre Dame named Jaylen something. I'm REALLY starting to like that guy.

"then there's nobody" ?

There's ALWAYS somebody. The good teams figure out who they are then drafts them. The bad teams look at 300 college players and say....."there's nobody".

OK, nobody that represents a good meeting of value and ability and need. Sure, we could take laremy tunsil, but we have a HOF calibre left tackle and a pro-bowl calibre right tackle. We could take Jaylen Smith, but there's a lot of very good line backing prospects coming out this year, there's no rush to grab one just because we're on the clock. Jalon Ramsay if we don't resign Gipson is probably the top candidate, but do we draft a safety at #2 overall? Treadwell is a reach there and depending on Gordon is a hell of a luxury pick, considering Gordon is pro-bowl talent, and Benjamin's just been voted to almost pro-bowl.

BPA is one of the tackles. But that would be stupid (although with the potential side benefit of Ghoolie getting so upset he abandons football and this board forever). So Bosa, or...?

If he's there when we draft, it'd be hard to pass on Bosa. If the Titans take him (because they don't need a QB) then there's nobody. Hopefully we could trade back, but I don't see who with.

A team desperate to get a QB? I don't know if Paxton Lynch would garner that type of buzz but if a team is in dire enough need of a QB of the future then they will pony up the picks.

A team desperate to get a QB? I don't know if Paxton Lynch would garner that type of buzz but if a team is in dire enough need of a QB of the future then they will pony up the picks.

I'm unsure if they would for Lynch. SF and the Rams *might* get in to a bidding war, but it's unlikely I think. Same story with all the QBs. So many projects, no day one starters, it's not worth jumping up to grab a guy.

OK, nobody that represents a good meeting of value and ability and need. Sure, we could take laremy tunsil, but we have a HOF calibre left tackle and a pro-bowl calibre right tackle. We could take Jaylen Smith, but there's a lot of very good line backing prospects coming out this year, there's no rush to grab one just because we're on the clock. Jalon Ramsay if we don't resign Gipson is probably the top candidate, but do we draft a safety at #2 overall? Treadwell is a reach there and depending on Gordon is a hell of a luxury pick, considering Gordon is pro-bowl talent, and Benjamin's just been voted to almost pro-bowl.

BPA is one of the tackles. But that would be stupid (although with the potential side benefit of Ghoolie getting so upset he abandons football and this board forever). So Bosa, or...?

Dude ! Take the MOST TALENTED PLAYER AVAILABLE regardless of position and quit "down sizing" season after season after season. This team needs an influx of elite players. Not multiple 3rd 4th and 5ths next year.

Dude ! Take the MOST TALENTED PLAYER AVAILABLE regardless of position and quit "down sizing" season after season after season. This team needs an influx of elite players. Not multiple 3rd 4th and 5ths next year.

Totally agree, also forget even thinking what's a need. Everything is a need

There's the rub.

Since the Tits don't need a QB, I'm inclined to think that another team(s) would be willing to trade up for the #1 overall pick.

That is of course, whoever is running the show for the Titans is open for a trade down.

There's the rub.

Since the Tits don't need a QB, I'm inclined to think that another team(s) would be willing to trade up for the #1 overall pick.

That is of course, whoever is running the show for the Titans is open for a trade down.

Without doubt they would be. Pick up an extra 2 and a first rounder next year, to move down maybe 5 places, and still get an impact guy because you already have your franchise QB? No brainer.

Per CBS Sports, the following are the #2 and #32 best prospects in the draft:

#2 Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss

#32 Michael Thomas WR Ohio St.

Per Draft Tek it is:

#2 Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida

#32 Adolphus Washington DT Ohio St.

Per Sports Illustrated :

#2 Jalen Ramsey CB Florida St.

#32 Tony Conner S Ole Miss

Per Bleacher Report:

#2 Joey Bosa DE Ohio St.

#32 Josh Doctson WR TCU

Sports Insider:

#2 Bosa

#32 Kendall Fuller CB Va. Tech

Ourlads:

#2 Ronnie Stanley OT Notre Dame

#32 Jarren Reed DT Alabama

Draft Geek:

#2 Bosa

#32 Corey Coleman WR Baylor

So, which would be your preference?

Mine highlighted.

Hopefully we could trade back, but I don't see who with.

No no no no and please no.

That philosophy has totally killed us in recent history, and I don't want a repeat.

Our next great WR.

Did you see that lil' dude jump in Episode II?

As long as "another team" does not include us...

The only thing worse than our player judgement in Round One is our ability to judge other teams' draft intents...

Let's just see who falls to us.

Did you see that lil' dude jump in Episode II?

As long as "another team" does not include us...

The only thing worse than our player judgement in Round One is our ability to judge other teams' draft intents...

Let's just see who falls to us.

Why would not the Tits just put Bosa on their radar? He is nearly the consensus pick by the pundits......and god knows they need the defense. I mean you talk about "generational QBs".....but he could be considered a possible generational defender.

Fair to say?

Anyone else find it a little telling that the two top players last draft were QB's who are currently 3-11 and 6-8 and only one of those had two stellar 6'5" receivers to start the season with? And the year prior's top QB is 5-9 this season so far.

And those were consistent "can't miss" NFL QB's unlike the ones available this year. See anything telling in this in regards to the Browns going on another fishing expedition?

Archived