THE BROWNS BOARD

USC Pro Day

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Interesting info from TFY Draft:

03/31 Live From USC Pro Day!!

While the scouting community at large will workout the Trojans tomorrow there's already been plenty of visits to the USC campus.

After the NFL owners meetings last week most coaches, owners and general managers who attended the affair in California flew home. Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini did not.

Mangini met face to face with several top west coast prospects including Clay Matthews, Mark Sanchez and Kyle Moore of USC. Mangini also met with San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert and Hawaii defensive back Ryan Mouton.

Last week Miami Dolphin general manager Jeff Ireland, head coach Tony Sparano and defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni were on the USC campus working out linebackers Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing and Kaluka Maiava as well as defensive lineman Kyle Moore.

The team requested Rey Maualuga take part in the workout but the linebacker stood on the side and watched as he is still recovering from an injured hamstring. He did take part in the film work with the Miami brain trust.

Maualuga hopes to participate in the entire workout tomorrow but sources from his camp have told us the linebacker did not have time to properly heal from the hamstring injury he suffered at the combine, which was rather severe. Depending on how it goes tomorrow there is an outside chance that Maualuga could end up running for scouts just prior to the draft.

Hawaii defensive end/outside linebacker David Veikune, who will have his pro-day this Thursday at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, also took part in the workout at USC. So did his college teammate, defensive back Ryan Mouton.

Well I'm glad they are at least looking at Clay.

I still think the kid is going to be an awesome pro, his pedigree is through the roof....

Rey better participate. As back and fourth as all these 'experts' are, if he just slightly improves all his combine numbers he'll instantly be top 10 in all mocks again. Write it down.

Guest Aloysius

40 times are beginning to trickle in.

Brian Cushing ran a 4.70, Kaluka Maiava ran a 4.65, and Kevin Ellison ran a 4.77. Receiver Patrick Turner ran a 4.58.

Cushing ran a 4.74 at the Combine, but USC has a notoriously fast track, so today's 4.7 probably won't be considered the better time. Maiva's 4.65, on the other hand, is a significant improvement over the 4.83 he ran at the Combine.

For now, Maualuga has decided not to run his 40. However, there's a possibility he may run after he goes through position drills.

Guest Aloysius

Yikes:

Rey Maualuga looked out of shape and poorly conditioned, just as he did at the Senior Bowl. Sources have told us he looked bad running the shuttles and three cone. No word yet on if he will definitely run the forty after position drills, which are starting now.

Not surprised at all.

Seems like he's intentionally hurting his draft stock in the hopes of being drafted by a team at the bottom of round 1.... hence being on a winning team.

Guest Masters
Seems like he's intentionally hurting his draft stock in the hopes of being drafted by a team at the bottom of round 1.... hence being on a winning team.

Doubt that. That is giving up money, which means more to guys first coming into the league. But anything is possible.

I think this is more of this guy being who he is.

Guest Aloysius

According to Inside USC's Scott Wolf, Rey ran his 40 somewhere between 4.60 and 4.65 seconds, which is about where I expected him to time (I thought 4.63-4.67). No word yet about his shuttle/cone times or how he looked in position drills.

Clay Matthews reportedly timed somewhere between 4.52-4.58, which will only boost his draft stock. According to Todd McShay, he was the most impressive linebacker at SC's pro day.

EDIT: Mike Mayock says that Maualuga's time was a 4.7 flat.

Rey better participate. As back and fourth as all these 'experts' are, if he just slightly improves all his combine numbers he'll instantly be top 10 in all mocks again. Write it down.

Rey is scheduled to come to Cleveland in 2 weeks for a private workout. OBR posted his schedule for the next 3 weeks.

Guest Aloysius

Mike Mayock says that Clay Matthews looked like a safety in pass coverage drills, whereas Cushing looked a little tight-hipped.

Guest Aloysius

Kyle Moore ran a 4.70 40 at 270 lbs. According to Mike Mayock, Moore has the potential to grow into a starting 3-4 end.

Here's some more info from TFY Draft:

After looking a little sloppy earlier in the day, Rey Maualuga finished the USC workout by running a very respectable hand timed 4.70 seconds in the forty. The numbers ranged as high as 4.78 with a few 4.60's thrown in.

Clay Matthews could be the big winner of today's workout, running a time of 4.58-seconds. Overall, his workout was very solid.

There will be a lot of debate about the throwing workout of Mark Sanchez today. Onlookers said Sanchez was very accurate and throws a crisp short pass. He possesses a quick, compact delivery. But they also confirmed something that's we noticed on film and something we mentioned during his combine workout; his arm strength is very marginal.

Sources said anytime Sanchez threw a pass that had to travel any sort of distance the ball lost a lot of velocity. He struggled throwing deep passes and just does not have the arm for a vertical offense. Sanchez also struggled putting any sort of zip on the outs.

The results of today combined with the workout of Matt Stafford yesterday, squarely put the Georgia junior at the top of the quarterback list.

Guest Masters
Kyle Moore ran a 4.70 40 at 270 lbs. According to Mike Mayock, Moore has the potential to grow into a starting 3-4 end.

Here's some more info from TFY Draft:

Sanchez's workout and negative sounds very similar to Matt Leinart's a few years ago.

To me, buyers beware when looking at a USC QB, based on the numbers he put up. USC is practically a pro-team.

Guest Masters

Todd McShay says Sanchez was the real show today at he USC pro day and aced the day.

Thinks Rey had the biggest day with his 40 by running it later, and much better than his combine run (by improving his stock). Said Cushing did the best at the LB position drills, and Clay the best in coverage drills.

Guest Aloysius
Todd McShay says Sanchez was the real show today at he USC pro day and aced the day.

Mayock was pretty high on him as well. Opinions generally seem to vary widely on Sanchez; people also disagreed about how he looked at the Combine.

Thinks Rey had the biggest day with his 40 by running it later, and much better than his combine run (by improving his stock). Said Cushing did the best at the LB position drills, and Clay the best in coverage drills.

Not sure if Rey running a 4.7 on a fast track will have a big impact - I don't think his speed & explosiveness were ever serious question marks. The more important issues were preparation and coverage ability, and it doesn't sound like he stood out in those areas.

And just to piss off Flugs ( ;) ), I'll include this link:

Maualuga's bust factor scares NFL teams

Very interesting stuff.

Todd McShay reported from the pro day workouts and stated Rey Maualuga had a great workout. He did all the drills and ran the 40 at the end and ran a 4.68. They didn't run on their fast track surface, but they ran their 40s on the field.

Says Maualuga really helped himself today.

I guess everybody looks at these workout a little differently.

IMO, Film and stats outweigh pro day and combine.

and I certainly agree with that. I like to judge a guy on how he plays with pads on and not how he runs or plays with shorts on.

Those times and workouts are a little piece of a big puzzle. I like what Mangini said about scouting. He said that the first thing he does before he even watches any film is to sit down and talk to a guy. Then, he knows whether to even look at the film.

I like to see if a WR can get separation, can he catch the ball in traffic, will he take a hit, can he block downfield. You can't see that in a workout in shorts. Can a LB get off blocks, fight through traffic, is he quick off the ball. Can't tell that by his 3 cone drill time.

Sanchez showed today that he can make the throws, but how does he move in the pocket and can he read defenses and how fast does he get through his progressions.

You see all this stuff on tape. but, the pro days and workouts serve a purpose. I just can't see guys jumping up and down the draft boards based on his showing in shorts. You watch film and you can tell if a guy is a football player or not.

Guest Masters
Mayock was pretty high on him as well. Opinions generally seem to vary widely on Sanchez; people also disagreed about how he looked at the Combine.

Not sure if Rey running a 4.7 on a fast track will have a big impact - I don't think his speed & explosiveness were ever serious question marks. The more important issues were preparation and coverage ability, and it doesn't sound like he stood out in those areas.

Very interesting stuff.

It was less about the speed, and more the fact that he ran. They didn't think he would, but did after the drills. Probably more him helping his case from a character perspective.

Good article, thanks

It was less about the speed, and more the fact that he ran. They didn't think he would, but did after the drills. Probably more him helping his case from a character perspective.

Good article, thanks

The article about Rey is a good one....But I'm so sick and tired of hearing about his "bad judgement" when it came to the Erin Andrews thing....He was a college kid for God's sake! Isn't anyone allowed to have some fun anymore?

It's not like he came up and grabbed her on the ass or anything.

Guest Masters
The article about Rey is a good one....But I'm so sick and tired of hearing about his "bad judgement" when it came to the Erin Andrews thing....He was a college kid for God's sake! Isn't anyone allowed to have some fun anymore?

It's not like he came up and grabbed her on the ass or anything.

I don't really give any thought to the early mistake. But the fact he has to have teammates assigned to keep him in line is a big red flag.

I don't really give any thought to the early mistake. But the fact he has to have teammates assigned to keep him in line is a big red flag.

I have no idea about all the other stuff and I'm not a big fan of him as a football player.....I just think ripping on the kid for having some fun is ridiculous. Some of these people wouldn't know how to have fun if they were standing in the middle of a room full of naked playboy bunnies.

Very interesting stuff.

LOL! Thanks for thinking of me but that doesn't piss me off. Somebody wrote the SAME negative nonsense about Adrian Peterson in 07. His arm was allegedly supposed to fall right out of the socket and he would need season ending surgery before he attended his very first training camp. Meanwhile the SAME types of critics decided the best place to put Cupid's arrow predraft was on Jamarcus Russell. How's that looking right about now? You gotta be careful with predraft hype and rumors. This is the time of year when everyone in the upper first round gets scrutinized and then there's a Jamarcus Russell invention at the last minute where the conveniently avoid the concept of flaws.

To be honest, the NFL Channel didn't sound nearly as creative or negative about Rey. In fact, Willie McGinest seemed to think Rey was the LBer to take first from USC's trio projecting in round 1. I'm comfortable saying Willie knows the criteria. The overall summary was ALL of the USC kids did well. Rey ran a better 40 time than Ellison, who's rumored to be a very well respected Safety from many a draft expert. I think Marshall Faulk said it best when he cautioned at the Indy Combines that Terrell Davis told him the best 40 he could ever run for the scouts was a 4.7. In the end, will Terrell Davis be remembered for his 40 time or changing Denver's fortunes at the Superbowl following a 2000 yard season?

I know Rey has flaws. ALL the kids do because they're human. I'd be lying if I told you being married to a 3-4 with a bunch of ankle grabbers playing LBer was STILL romantic after 4 years. Rey is a MOOD stemming from the presence I've longed for and the countless videos I've seen of him jarring footballs loose from ballcarriers/receivers. The last time we chose the track star over the football player we sent Ernest Byner packing for Mike Oliphant. I'll take the football player anyday.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

The thing about the injury he suffered in the Oregon State game was a big shocker for me. He did have a similar incident in '07 where he suffered a hip pointer & publicly questioned the training staff, saying that he thought the injury was more serious (more here). But I'd always assumed that the knee injury he suffered in the Oregon State game was fairly serious and that it affected his play later on in the year.

If it was a minor injury and he didn't play against Oregon because he was being benched, that changes my perspective on some of the things I saw later in the year. While I can give Orakpo the benefit of the doubt for not looking as explosive against Ohio State as he did before he hyper-extended his knee, I'm not sure whether I should similarly ignore the trouble Maualuga had changing directions in the Cal, Notre Dame, and UCLA games.

It's a very thought-provoking article. Were it not written by a credible draft guy like Nolan Nawrocki, I probably wouldn't believe half of this stuff. It still could be some team feeding him info hoping Maualuga falls, but it looks like Nawrocki's getting at least some of his info from people close to USC. At the very least, the article raises some pretty serious questions about Rey.

It's a very thought-provoking article. Were it not written by a credible draft guy like Nolan Nawrocki, I probably wouldn't believe half of this stuff. It still could be some team feeding him info hoping Maualuga falls, but it looks like Nawrocki's getting at least some of his info from people close to USC. At the very least, the article raises some pretty serious questions about Rey.

Okay, I'll take the bait. Like I said countles times SOMEBODY started a rumor about Adrian Peterson's bum shoulder requiring season ending surgery before he was to ever play game #1 so he slid down while Jamarcus Russell became such a GREAT football player between February 1st and draft day of 07 that he was drafted 1st. Hindsight told us what about either kid? Poker doesn't reward gullable people. Someone deemed it all credible enough to print and share at the time right? Just try to decipher what it poker and what isn't.

If we want to pretend Rey's character held the USC Trojans hostage - we'll pretend they weren't an elite team all the years he started there. If we want to invent his hips held him back from being 1st Team All Conference in 07 & 08 (as voted by Pac 10 Coaches) and a Consensus All American in 08, we can do that. But somewhere in all that creativity, there's an enormous trophy case filled with performance honors that started as early as his freshman season we might not want to ignore.

Brian Sipe had a weak arm that somehow averaged 4000 passing yards a year over a 3 year span at a time such a thing was unheard of. This is where you DIG and I'll bet Kenny Norton and Pete Carroll tell the teams interested in Rey not to overthink themselves. For instance, if the Browns do their research all Pete Carroll has to ask is - WHO is jarring footballs loose in your middle right now? "But what about his hips coach?" It's a 3-4, there's actually LESS room to roam for an ILBer than a 4-3 demands. You're not drafting a CORNER here. Do you want an intimidating presence? Do you want turnovers? Do you want a backbone? Or, do you want someone for "Dancing with the Stars?"

Ernest Byner couldn't run under a 4.65 as a RB from East Carolina State so he wouldn't be drafted before the first 9-10 rounds were complete. It's too bad ALOT of teams didn't care what about what a GREAT player he was because we got ourselves a gem.

If you were to look at Mike Singletary or Pepper Johnson or Bill Bergey - they weren't wired to play cornerback either. If you wanted an ILBer, none of those guys would disappoint. If you can run the same 40 time as Terrell Davis in front of the scouts, maybe it's a great idea to change emphasis to the hips.

- Tom F. (Rey was the drug-free guy running the 4.7 - I LIKE that!!!!)

Archived