THE BROWNS BOARD

Stallworth is in Trouble

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/01/...laughter-charge

Report: DUI Manslaughter Charges Coming Today For Stallworth

Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2009, 12:21 p.m. EDT

This isn’t an April Fool’s Day joke.

(Why do we feel like we need to start every story like that today?)

The folks at WSVN in Miami are reporting that Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth will be charged later today with DUI manslaughter.

The charges arise from the March 14 collison between Stallworth’s Bentley and 59-year-old Mario Reyes, who later died.

Under Florida law, DUI manslaughter is a second-degree felony, carrying a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.

Multiple reports surfaced in the days after the incident that Stallworth’s blood alcohol concentration exceeded the legal limit of 0.08 percent. Accounts as to the specific number ranged from 0.12 to 0.14 percent.

Per WVSN, Miami Beach police have been in touch with Stallworth’s lawyer to negotiate the terms of his surrender.

It looks as if he is going to be charged. Seeing as he has cooperated throughout the entire thing, I can see if he plead guilty. I can also see him pleading not guilty considering the guy wasn't in the crosswalk and was on a highway. I'm not sure if the whole "I flashed my lights and honked my horn" excuse will work. It seems that he still had time to avoid contact. It is possible that he blew a .10 and could argue that the breathalyzer was faulty. Either way, it doesn't look good for Stallworth.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/01/...laughter-charge

It looks as if he is going to be charged. Seeing as he has cooperated throughout the entire thing, I can see if he plead guilty. I can also see him pleading not guilty considering the guy wasn't in the crosswalk and was on a highway. I'm not sure if the whole "I flashed my lights and honked my horn" excuse will work. It seems that he still had time to avoid contact. It is possible that he blew a .10 and could argue that the breathalyzer was faulty. Either way, it doesn't look good for Stallworth.

Is it possible he never sees a day in jail if he's guilty?

Actually it ranges. An 18 year old recently pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter and got 24 years in prison.

2 counties north a 22 year old recently pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter x 2, and he got 10 years probation, lost driving rights for 12 years, no jail time.

its on PFT

It would seem to me that he'll be playing this year. The NFL will probably not suspend him until he has had his due process. His lawyers can probably take this to trial and get it delayed until after the season.

I'm just guesing.

Zombo

God bless the deceased Mario Reyes and all of his family and to the stallworth family. I do not feel bad for Donte in anyway. We all know how they party and it was very unfortunate that this happend the way hat it did. people make mistakes and then they have to pay for there actions, we all know not to drive drunk from the begining and we all still have a few and get behind the wheel , we have the its never going to happen to me attitude. Donte will pay dearly because of his fame and he will be in prison by august. at this moment i can care less about our team or our damn draft picks, its a game, this shit is real life.

Actually it ranges. An 18 year old recently pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter and got 24 years in prison.

2 counties north a 22 year old recently pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter x 2, and he got 10 years probation, lost driving rights for 12 years, no jail time.

its on PFT

I read where Miami or Fl law for what he is being charged is mandatory 3.5 years minimum up to 15 years max. I can't see no time served.

Hell, Plaxico can't even plea bargan for no time and he only shot himself. The DA says (through a 3rd party) he had offered 1 year confinement and Plaxico turned it down.

Archived