THE BROWNS BOARD

What's the harm in a QB competition?

hammertime

How many QB's do we have on the roster?

Mangini is an outsider with no say on how the current qb's got here.

Where is the harm in letting the new coaching staff have a evaluation period in camp?

I've waivered on the fence hoping for the best case scenario but what if Mangini comes out of camp and says DA is the starter. If we all think Quinn is all that then having him as a backup still deserves merit.

Both guys are making adequate $$ at what point does either of them demand a trade? Does duability become an issue with either DA or BQ? Curry, Orapko and Crabtree seem to be leading choices at this point, wishful thinking says you can address all your needs this year.

I see nothing wrong with a competition between bq and da as a matter of fact a new regime should want to see what we have and which best fits the system but if they trade bq off it will prove to be either a fatal mistake or incredible insight(mangenuis) personally i think it will prove fatal to the browns in general to trade bq without giving him a fair shot...

I see nothing wrong with a competition between bq and da as a matter of fact a new regime should want to see what we have and which best fits the system but if they trade bq off it will prove to be either a fatal mistake or incredible insight(mangenuis) personally i think it will prove fatal to the browns in general to trade bq without giving him a fair shot...

I agree it would be a career defining move on Mangini's part. I guess i'm confused by the fact that the staff is posturing that these 2 qb's are that close in talent.

If a second coaching staff picks DA you have to wonder what quinns not doing right. It also lend credence to the fact that its a no win call for Mangini, hence just bring in his own qb. At some time or another he better have a lovefest with one of them.

They're 'posturing' to trade BQ to raise DA's value.... If everyone thinks DA is worthless and already the #2 QB, is value is chicken sh!t.

But Kokinis already stated there will be an open competition for QB. With whomever is on the roster come training camp.

Mikey i'm not that confused :blink:

Was there an actual QB competition last year or did DA start because he pro bowl credentials?

On one hand I understand the DA hate.

On the other hand I don't understand why some don't want to give this guy, that has a rocket arm, a better chance. It's not like we had a stellar offense for DA to throw at. It's not like our Offensive Line was made of Tanks. Guy had a good season the prior year.

Look at BE. The guy could be great. But I think his head was up his arse. He saw the endzone, long before he saw the ball hit is hands or in his case his pads. He made a brilliant catch against the Giants in pre-season last year, and all I could think was, this guy could be great. But then pass after pass was dropped. If we keep BE, I'm willing to give him another chance, he has potential. I think DA does as well, but I think BQ does too.

I was really suprised with the Draft of BQ. IMO, with the contract given to DA, I though BQ was merely trade bait when they drafted him. Not sure what happened, something fell through that didn't work out for the organization. Now were stuck with two potential starters and all the uncertainties that go with it.

When September rolls around, I will be a Browns fan, and will root for whoever taps the center on the ass.

On the other hand I don't understand why some don't want to give this guy, that has a rocket arm, a better chance. It's not like we had a stellar offense for DA to throw at. It's not like our Offensive Line was made of Tanks. Guy had a good season the prior year.

Look at BE. The guy could be great. But I think his head was up his arse. He saw the endzone, long before he saw the ball hit is hands or in his case his pads. He made a brilliant catch against the Giants in pre-season last year, and all I could think was, this guy could be great. But then pass after pass was dropped. If we keep BE, I'm willing to give him another chance, he has potential. I think DA does as well, but I think BQ does too.

I was really suprised with the Draft of BQ. IMO, with the contract given to DA, I though BQ was merely trade bait when they drafted him. Not sure what happened, something fell through that didn't work out for the organization. Now were stuck with two potential starters and all the uncertainties that go with it.

When September rolls around, I will be a Browns fan, and will root for whoever taps the center on the ass.

Please refrain from all ass tapping on this thread.

I am not against a competition , but would it not be refreshing to find that ManKok actually came into Cleveland with a plan ..........and whatever that plan consisted of , eliminated this repulsive QB controversy once and for all .

Think of it..............no DA , No Brady , no disgruntled fans getting all weepy and frothy when presented with the possibility of it not going his way . Ahhhhhhh...........the stuff dreams are made of . :rolleyes:

Brownskidd-

They didnt give DA his big contract till after they drafted BQ.

Which brings up an excellent question.

Why?

Draft Brady Quinn, then extend DA's contract. Who was the trade bait, BQ or DA? Do you extend DA's contract to make him appear more marketable then dish him off to another team and groom BQ. Or was BQ the trade bait. I can see both sides to the coin.

The drafting of BQ to me is still a mystery.

Why?

Draft Brady Quinn, then extend DA's contract. Who was the trade bait, BQ or DA? Do you extend DA's contract to make him appear more marketable then dish him off to another team and groom BQ. Or was BQ the trade bait. I can see both sides to the coin.

i think that they did it so that they could trade one of them for a lot of talent. they did not expect da to have a bad seaon last year but did expect bq to tom brady-esk already. they did it so that they could trade one of them for a pro-bowler or a high draft pick or two.

On the other hand I don't understand why some don't want to give this guy, that has a rocket arm, a better chance.

I simply don't like his game and I think teams know how to expose his weaknesses.

He cannot throw the short pass. His lack of touch is almost embarrassingly bad.

He is immobile. While I don't think it's necessary to have Steve Young back there, in today's game I think it's crucial to have a guy with the ability to escape and put pressure on the defense with his feet.

He loves to think his arm can squeeze passes where they do not belong.

I was never overly imprssed with his 2007 season due to the fact that this team played absolutely no one that season.

I think they beat one team with a record of over .500? I think that's correct.

I don't like a QB competition.

I don't want my starting Qb looking over his shoulder all the time. Once you name a starter you let him know he's your starter through thick or thin. I don't want my Qb thinking of anything but the defense he is facing on that upcoming play.

While it helps to have great instincts as a Qb, the position is still too cerebral to allow him to worry about his job while he's trying to take on so many other responsibilities.

Well, a qb competition is what we have. And I'm all for it.

Yeah, it sucks to have to worry about your job and you want the guy mentally focused in what he has to do. However, if you can't do it, you better worry because if I'm in charge the footsteps you hear are mine and there's about to be a shoe up your ass while I boot you off the field.

You perform, you play. You don't perform, you're gone. That's how it works.

Coingate was out of hand. Waiting too long to make a decision is not the best method I agree. But part of the problem there is no one stepped up and took the reins. RAC needed to step up and call it and wasn't comfortable doing it between Frye and DA. 15 minutes was all Savage needed to end his dream of an Akron native running the show and traded Charlie.

Was that really just two years ago? Seems like ten with all the DA and BQ positioning.

They need to look over their shoulder. That's part of the pressure of being a qb. If I thought for one minute DA couldn't make the necessary throws on the field because he was worried if he would be the starter next week... GONE. You have to be able to put that aside and if he can't, see ya.

BQ needs to show me he can handle the pressure and not make a dumb pass because he feels the need to impress the caching staff in order to win the job. Focus, grasshopper! That's what we need!

Cutler is destroying Denver because he wants to cry. If I was a Bronco fan I would stand outside his iron gate and throw molotov cocktails. So they considered trading you, it happens. Better hope you don't become a GM in 20 years Jay.

Mangini has the unenviable task of choosing between these two (barring any moves) and he will need a few games to do it. However, if in week three of the preseason he's not ready to make a decision and stick with it, he needs slapped.

Put me in charge. I would have both of them in Berea right now. I would have worked them both and all ready know who I was staking my career as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns on. .... Then all of you would be letting go of your season tickets because I don't know a cover 2 from a number 2 :lol:

The only reason to stage a QB competition at the NFL level is if you truly don't KNOW which QB is the one to lead your team.

And if you don't know which QB should lead your team, you have much bigger problems than a QB competition, you have a total organizational failure. See: Savage, Phil and Crennel, Romeo.

And I think ManKok clearly understands if you have two QB's, you have none. Remember that Mangini cut Pennington rather than deal with this very scenario. He is not the kind of coach who wants a question mark at the most important position on the field.

But also remember that Kokinis was part of the process that drafted Flacco, committed to him early and let him play through the learning curve last year.

So I highly doubt this duo is leaning towards holding a QB battle with the history surrounding these two QBs.

They are trading one or both of these guys, without a doubt.

Well, a qb competition is what we have. And I'm all for it.

Yeah, it sucks to have to worry about your job and you want the guy mentally focused in what he has to do. However, if you can't do it, you better worry because if I'm in charge the footsteps you hear are mine and there's about to be a shoe up your ass while I boot you off the field.

You perform, you play. You don't perform, you're gone. That's how it works.

Coingate was out of hand. Waiting too long to make a decision is not the best method I agree. But part of the problem there is no one stepped up and took the reins. RAC needed to step up and call it and wasn't comfortable doing it between Frye and DA. 15 minutes was all Savage needed to end his dream of an Akron native running the show and traded Charlie.

Was that really just two years ago? Seems like ten with all the DA and BQ positioning.

They need to look over their shoulder. That's part of the pressure of being a qb. If I thought for one minute DA couldn't make the necessary throws on the field because he was worried if he would be the starter next week... GONE. You have to be able to put that aside and if he can't, see ya.

BQ needs to show me he can handle the pressure and not make a dumb pass because he feels the need to impress the caching staff in order to win the job. Focus, grasshopper! That's what we need!

Cutler is destroying Denver because he wants to cry. If I was a Bronco fan I would stand outside his iron gate and throw molotov cocktails. So they considered trading you, it happens. Better hope you don't become a GM in 20 years Jay.

Mangini has the unenviable task of choosing between these two (barring any moves) and he will need a few games to do it. However, if in week three of the preseason he's not ready to make a decision and stick with it, he needs slapped.

Put me in charge. I would have both of them in Berea right now. I would have worked them both and all ready know who I was staking my career as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns on. .... Then all of you would be letting go of your season tickets because I don't know a cover 2 from a number 2 :lol:

This "Fu*k you tough guy" approach sounds good. It's sounds like you are in charge and that's going to be the way it is.

But it doesn't work and never will, except at times in the the miltary. Even then it doesn't usually work because the guy that acts like the tough guy is usually the one that folds when the pressure is on. I saw it three times in Desert Storm.... Guys like you rarely become tough when when they actually have to shut up or put up.

You don't have to be soft when dealing with these guys. But taking a "It's too fu*cking bad" approach does not work.

I suggest you read "You win with PEOPLE"...By Woody Hayes.

How many QB's do we have on the roster?

Mangini is an outsider with no say on how the current qb's got here.

Where is the harm in letting the new coaching staff have a evaluation period in camp?

I've waivered on the fence hoping for the best case scenario but what if Mangini comes out of camp and says DA is the starter. If we all think Quinn is all that then having him as a backup still deserves merit.

Both guys are making adequate $$ at what point does either of them demand a trade? Does duability become an issue with either DA or BQ? Curry, Orapko and Crabtree seem to be leading choices at this point, wishful thinking says you can address all your needs this year.

Does anybody have durability concerns with either qb?

i'm with you Kidd, but we're clearly in the minority. Folks around here root for DA's failure. They cheered when he got injured (just like when Couch got hurt). It's a weird and embarassing element of the new era Browns fan. i've booed my team plenty of times, but i've never cheered when one went down with an injury.

People don't root for DA's failure. People weren't cheering DA's injury because they wanted him to get hurt and fail. They cheered it because at that point he'd blown so many damn games that they wanted him out regardless of what it took.

Why?

Why is the drafting of BQ such a mystery? They had Charlie Frye, a 3rd round pick that was pretty much a bust (yet still beat out DA in 2007) and DA, a 6th round pick that couldn't even make the Ravens squad and at that point had compiled a starter's record of 0-3. That's exactly why they drafted Quinn.

DA's contract was extended because of the 2007 season and his final stats and backing into the Pro Bowl.

I didn't cheer when DA got hurt, because he was our last capable backup QB.

I wanted DA to do well this year, I think most did. Just think about it, we are a blue collar city, what story is more likely to endear us to the QB? A 6th round nobody who was picked up off the practice squad or a pretty boy first round pick from Notre Dame?

i wasn't talking about you (necessarily). However, i doubt that anyone that really wanted DA to do well would have jumped on my post. i'm sure that DTBH would agree.

Archived