THE BROWNS BOARD

Calvin Johnson Retiring

Bob806

How many championships has he won?

The Lions - and the Browns - will never win anything by focusing on overpaid WR's who only touch the ball 4-8 plays per game. They're useless show ponies who aren't the engine of a successful offense.

The Lions would have been better off if they'd traded Megatron for a draft pick.

Ghoolie, this one's for you. Every analysis asserting Megatron is destined for the HoF is no stronger than the case for Joe Thomas.

The Lions - and the Browns - will never win anything by focusing on overpaid WR's who only touch the ball 4-8 plays per game. They're useless show ponies who aren't the engine of a successful offense.

The Lions would have been better off if they'd traded Megatron for a draft pick.

Ghoolie, this one's for you. Every analysis asserting Megatron is destined for the HoF is no stronger than the case for Joe Thomas.

I dont know about that, hes lead some pretty dynamic offenses and has a season record in a very important stat. My guess ia he only takes a year off and comes back to get traded ti NE.

Second Hall of Famer to just walk away rather than play another game as a Lion.

Made a shitload of money, and if he has invested well and doesn't have 19 kids, then you can't blame him for getting out before getting his brains scrambled.

I still think most would rather play until they can't play.

Z

Well, we went 3-13 with a bunch of cheap undersized smurfs.

You don't understand Ghoolie's logic. He's all about playmakers.

You may be right about Megatron not making the HOF- considering his early retirement. Chris Carter should have been a first ballot lock, he has much better stats than Johnslon, and it took him 5 tries to get in.

The difference is Joe isn't retiring anytime soon. He needs a couple more Pro Bowls, and first team all-pro nominations to equal Anthony Munoz, who is in the HOF.

I think Johnson is HOF quality.....props to him for not staying too long, like so many do.....there is something classy about going out on top....

How about the stir Mike Martz is making because T.O. is a HOF finalist?......he's saying T.O. is getting pushed to the top "because of his antics"......and I thought it would be the opposite and he would be "held back" because of his antics....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000630438/article/martz-upset-owens-jumped-bruce-holt-on-hof-ballot

My vote.....T.O. is easily one of the best WR's ever and is first ballot talent all the way.....

The notion that because the lions didn't win a championship that megatron was a wasted pick is so, I dunno....short sighted doesn't seem to do it justice. From a purely superficial stance, he sold jerseys. He made the Lions offensively relevant. Teams had to focus their defense around containing him. Obviously one guy won't win you a championship, the Lions failed to put extra pieces around him. Just like the Texans have so far failed to put a whole team around Watt. You don't pass on those players though in the draft. Signing them in FA if they cost too much is one thing, that could totally hamstring your efforts to build a SB team cause one guy is sucking all the money up. I get that. But you have to take those players in the draft.

Calvin Johnson was an incredible football player and well worth the pick he was taken at. The Lions are very much like the Browns though and just can't put it all together, well ever it seems like.

I will say, don't be surprised if the guy just retires. Heck, he's made $100 million dollars at 30 years old, by most all accounts is a humble dude who came from a tough background. It could be a lot worse than being that age with that money and not wanting to endure another 3-5 years of hits and potential serious injuries.

Second Hall of Famer to just walk away rather than play another game as a Lion.

Made a shitload of money, and if he has invested well and doesn't have 19 kids, then you can't blame him for getting out before getting his brains scrambled.

I still think most would rather play until they can't play.

Z

Sorry, but I think this guy's career is incomplete right now.

As it stands, I am not sure that he has Hall of Fame numbers....in comparison to others that have played full careers.

Example, in terms of receptions, yardage, touchdowns....all of the following who he could be compared with or be in competition with have pretty much better numbers:

Marvin Harrison

Terrell Owens

Reggie Wayne

Andre Johnson

Isaac Bruce

Larry Fitzpatrick

Anquan Boldin

Hine Ward

Randy Moss

Steve Smith

Torri Holt

Wes Welker

Brandon Marshall

Jimmy Smith

Keyshawn Johnson

Andre Rison

Donald Driver

Santana Moss

Tony Gonzales

Jason Witten

Antonio Gates.

At least about 10 of these guys have better numbers in every category.

I think he will have needed a longer career.

For what its worth, I don't think he fits into the Sandy Koufax, Gale Sayers mold where he was so great over a short period of time that he would transcend his contemporaries.

His best career figure is his yards per game figure. But that is a sign of the times. Seven of the 10 best WRs in yards per game are currently active. So his best number is just a creature of the pass happy times.

I think Johnson is HOF quality.....props to him for not staying too long, like so many do.....there is something classy about going out on top....

How about the stir Mike Martz is making because T.O. is a HOF finalist?......he's saying T.O. is getting pushed to the top "because of his antics"......and I thought it would be the opposite and he would be "held back" because of his antics....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000630438/article/martz-upset-owens-jumped-bruce-holt-on-hof-ballot

My vote.....T.O. is easily one of the best WR's ever and is first ballot talent all the way.....

Yeah, that's a pretty lame argument because Cris Carter is literally in direct contrast of what he's saying. Carter had easy HOF stats but was held back because of his reputation.

But he was considered top 5 at his position, almost his entire career.

That doesn't make him HOF. While I agree that he would be considered one of the best in the game while he played....where is the threshold for HOF? Like I said, others have better numbers. Some even have titles or Super Bowl appearances (which does count some for the HOF). And he has none of those.

See this, where his name does not appear:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_active_playoffs.htm

But if you look at his per game numbers he ranks right up there with the best that ever played.

Catches per game - 5.41

TD pg - .61

YPG - 86.1

6 time pro bowler

3x first team all pro

Single season yards record

With him putting up these kind of numbers while only playing 9 seasons on a bad team, will absolutely warrant consideration. He will wait a while but Id bet he gets in.

In comparison Terrell Owens per game numbers

RPG - 4.9

YPG - 72.8

TD pg - .44

lol... have to remember the Lions loved WR at #1 during the Matt Millen reign... Mega was like their 3rd in 4 years? They finally got one right.

Good for CJ...

Sorry, but I think this guy's career is incomplete right now.

As it stands, I am not sure that he has Hall of Fame numbers....in comparison to others that have played full careers.

Example, in terms of receptions, yardage, touchdowns....all of the following who he could be compared with or be in competition with have pretty much better numbers:

My thinking.....

Marvin Harrison lock

Terrell Owens lock

Reggie Wayne

Andre Johnson

Isaac Bruce

Larry Fitzpatrick lock

Anquan Boldin

Hines-end Ward

Randy Moss

Steve Smith

Torri Holt

Wes Welker

Brandon Marshall

Jimmy Smith

Keyshawn Johnson

Andre Rison

Donald Driver

Santana Moss

Tony Gonzales lock

Jason Witten high probable

Antonio Gates.lock

At least about 10 of these guys have better numbers in every category.

I think he will have needed a longer career.

For what its worth, I don't think he fits into the Sandy Koufax, Gale Sayers mold where he was so great over a short period of time that he would transcend his contemporaries.

His best career figure is his yards per game figure. But that is a sign of the times. Seven of the 10 best WRs in yards per game are currently active. So his best number is just a creature of the pass happy times.

I'll agree if Megatron gets in, he's going to be waiting a long time. And one of my favorite HOF rants- If Clay Matthews had played for the Steelers, he'd have been in- long ago.

But if you look at his per game numbers he ranks right up there with the best that ever played.

Catches per game - 5.41

TD pg - .61

YPG - 86.1

6 time pro bowler

3x first team all pro

Single season yards record

With him putting up these kind of numbers while only playing 9 seasons on a bad team, will absolutely warrant consideration. He will wait a while but Id bet he gets in.

In comparison Terrell Owens per game numbers

RPG - 4.9

YPG - 72.8

TD pg - .44

It makes him borderline IMO. Remember....this age is pass happy.....those numbers are the result of pass happy offenses. His career numbers are not as good as his contemporaries like T.O.

I'll agree if Megatron gets in, he's going to be waiting a long time. And one of my favorite HOF rants- If Clay Matthews had played for the Steelers, he'd have been in- long ago.

Agree on that take, and I always thought Hanford Dixon deserved to be in (I don't believe he has ever been nominated).

No point in arguing with the Steelers success in the 70s, but I never understood why voters put nearly their whole team in from that era. Lambert, Mean Joe, Bradshaw, Harris,Webster and Blount, yes they were worthy. It's complete overkill on the others.

You're an idiot

You're going to start seeing this more and more, and who could blame these guys? They play for years, make their money, and want to live the rest of their lives while they can still walk. Can't blame them one bit. I will certainly miss this guy though. Another example of a fine person and tremendous NFL player that always played on a poor team. Not quite as bad as us, but they could never get any consistency.

Archived