THE BROWNS BOARD

More Positive Tests

standish

Guest Aloysius
For the record, I NEVER said I wanted us to take Andre Smith. I just said it was too bad he blew off his interviews because it was obvious he wasn't a bright kid that was getting zero guidance. Now they're trying to invent a better OT than he was last year so they're looking at body fat percentages in Virginia and they went to a conference that doesn't play any defense to find another kid from Baylor. I wouldn't DRAFT Andre for us; but I think someone like BB would. Someone is going to see the body of work Nick Saban got from the kid and realize that the RIGHT coach got the right goodies from him. No marijuana or steroid concerns here - just the number of brain cells on speaking terms in Andre's dome.

Actually, there was a report over at theOBR that the Browns do have some degree of interest in Andre Smith. Per the report, there's a sense that Mangini's "regimented" system would be a good fit for Andre, who's not an evil dude...just not very smart and a little bit lazy. Should we trade down from #5, he could be an option.

Personally, I worry about how he'll fare against speed rushers and the complex blitz schemes we face in our division. I think the Florida game gave us a taste of the struggles he might face in the NFL, even at RT. But even if that's the case, you can slide him in to RG and have him be a dominant run-blocker for you...provided you have the right coaching staff and support system to keep his weight in check.

As for the other OT's, don't get down on Jason Smith just yet. Just watched the Baylor-Texas Tech game (to get some more Crabtree), and I was very much impressed with the nastiness he showed in the run game. He's the kind of guy who can handle elite speed rushers - Texas's Sergio Kindle didn't do jack against him, and Tech's coaching staff moved Brandon Williams over to LE because he couldn't do anything against Smith.

Yes, he's a little bit raw, but he could be very good, especially in a zone blocking scheme like Denver's. Dude blocks incredibly well on the move - both he & Max Unger would be absolute studs in that scheme.

I also think this shows the character of Rey Maualuga, he obviously had felt the pressure to do steroids seeing as how his teammates were, and not only were they his teammates but they were also his first round competition, he took the high road knowing that it could cost him a crap ton of money.

Come on . . . that's a lot of assuming to come to a conclusion that from the work on your avatar (amazing work by the way -- really impressive). Do we know how long it takes to cycle steroids out of the system to pass a drug test? Because Rey (or his agent) was smart enough to have him steer clear of steroids before the combine doesn't mean he didn't partake at the Pete Carroll steroid buffet over the last few years. I hate that guy. Every year he manages to loose a game to a far inferior PAC 10 team and he's still credited as being a great college coach.

I'll tell you why they can't stop smoking.

Weed is a natural pain killer, thus why it's prescribed to cancer/aids patients. When you play football there is pain, and weed helps not only the player to relax, but also helps with muscle pain and gives them a higher tolerance in the weight room and on the field.

Inspecta, Marijuana is not prescibed to cancer patients for pain. THC,cannebnoids shows no abilty to reduce pain.

It's prescribed to reduce nausea in Chemo patients. That's it. Nothing to do with pain.

There have been recent studies which show that Cannibenoids may also have an anti-carcinogenic effect as well.

These guys are using for recreation...Nothing else. If they wanted a pain reducer, there are plenty of illegal prescription drugs they can obtain on the street. Such as Tramadol or narcotics such as Vicodin.

Guest Masters

How is it this hasn't been posted yet?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-c...o&type=lgns

The sources said Cushing and Matthews both went straight to Dr. John Lombardo to find out about the reports. The sources said the two players were told by Lombardo, who administers the league’s drug policy, that they had nothing to worry about. The sources said Lombardo further explained to the players that if they had tested positive, they already would have received letters indicating as much. The letters reportedly were sent out three weeks ago, and the sources said that neither player received such a letter.

Representatives for Cushing, Matthews and Davis issued statements asserting that their clients hadn’t tested positive. The sources close to Cushing and Matthews had no personal knowledge of whether the other four players named in the report had received letters.

A statement issued by the NFL also indicated that any players who had tested positive should already have been notified, and explained clubs have not been informed of the results of the drug screenings that were done at the combine.

Inspecta, Marijuana is not prescibed to cancer patients for pain. THC,cannebnoids shows no abilty to reduce pain.

It's prescribed to reduce nausea in Chemo patients. That's it. Nothing to do with pain.

There have been recent studies which show that Cannibenoids may also have an anti-carcinogenic effect as well.

These guys are using for recreation...Nothing else. If they wanted a pain reducer, there are plenty of illegal prescription drugs they can obtain on the street. Such as Tramadol or narcotics such as Vicodin.

theres different strains of marijuana for different types of illness' and chronic pain is treated with marijuana in some states and countries

Guest Masters

It is indeed prescribed for pain for some patients (not just the Cancer type of patients).

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/medica...itions/pain.cfm

i took roids for asthma. although inhaled i bet they'd show a false positive. or a real positive for that matter. our best O-lineman in '07 used them to come back from illness and we never crucified him. try to avoid the knee-jerk reactions guys, there are still many unknowns.

i'd still grab CMIII w/ a mid to late first, and when he's still playing 10+ years from now this will be all but forgotten. i see big value in drafting genetic durability.

WHAT!?!?!?! it most certainly is!

you are flat out wrong and have been seriously misinformed Old Crow. maybe not the 1960's ruderalis variety but today's indica certainly has exceptional medicinal affect and pain killing attributes. don't believe the propogana friend. just ask some cancer users about this if you want some support for my claims. self-exploration debunks government myths every time.

also, the point was made (in another thread maybe?) that vicodin is much more harmful than smoking some weed>i think choco said it. and he's right. long term there's simply no comparison.

WHAT!?!?!?! it most certainly is!

you are flat out wrong and have been seriously misinformed Old Crow. maybe not the 1960's ruderalis variety but today's indica certainly has exceptional medicinal affect and pain killing attributes. don't believe the propogana friend. just ask some cancer users about this if you want some support for my claims. self-exploration debunks government myths every time.

also, the point was made (in another thread maybe?) that vicodin is much more harmful than smoking some weed>i think choco said it. and he's right. long term there's simply no comparison.

I know I'm right.....The only pain relief found in canniboid is for those who have serious spinal injuries or damage to the nerves, MS and other serious conditions that have caused the nerves to not function properly and thus the Morphine receptors will not have the disired effect.

Football players are not using for pain relief.

Your implication that my knowledge is purely based on Propaganda is an insult to my intelligence.

Of course there is no comparison in the harmful long term side effects of a narcotics vs. Smoking Marijuana (Except for the lungs)

But who is talking long term here? The discussion is for relief of pain to injured football players.

theres different strains of marijuana for different types of illness' and chronic pain is treated with marijuana in some states and countries

As I said in the response to fringo. It is used as pain relief for patients that have had serious nerve damage and the receptors for the standard pain relievers no longer work.

Even at that, it is still considered to be completely experimental

I'll say it again, Football players are not using for pain relief. If you believe that football players are not using it as recreation then you are burying your head in the sand.

I know I'm right.....The only pain relief found in canniboid is for those who have serious spinal injuries or damage to the nerves, MS and other serious conditions that have caused the nerves to not function properly and thus the Morphine receptors will not have the disired effect.

Football players are not using for pain relief.

Of course there is no comparison in the harmful long term side effects of a narcotics vs. Smoking Marijuana (Except for the lungs)

But who is talking long term here? The discussion is for relief of pain to injured football players.

you are not right, you are simply the majority.

have you ever used an indica known for it's pain relieving qualities personally? i have. and it does. and if your claims aren't based upon personal experience then i apologize for insulting you, but they most certainly are based upon propoganda because the truth contradicts the claims. you're not alone in this thinking though. it truly is a sad casualty of the so-called American justice system.

even lung damage is now a non-issue due to vaporizers, ghee, green dragon etc.

regarding long term, when you begin taking vicodin for pain it seemingly never ends there, especially when your career sometimes requires pain relief for decades. it's a piece of a bigger problem.

i cannot say personally why people such as football players use cannabis, but i can say w/ absolute certainty that it has positive pain relieving effects.

As I said in the response to fringo. It is used as pain relief for patients that have had serious nerve damage and the receptors for the standard pain relievers no longer work.

Even at that, it is still considered to be completely experimental

I'll say it again, Football players are not using for pain relief. If you believe that football players are not using it as recreation then you are burying your head in the sand.

I agree I dont beleive football players are using it to releive pain, most of them are using it as a recreation drug. But to say Marijuana is not effective in releiving pain is simply false. Its a fact of science, Ive used it for common pain such as migrains, toothaches, strained muscles, etc. and it works wonders.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-c...o&type=lgns

Sources: NFL doctor tells players they are clean

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

Apr 4, 12:41 am EDT

The doctor who administers the NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs told highly regarded USC linebackers Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews Jr. on Friday that neither tested positive for banned substances, including steroids, according to sources close to both players.

Cushing and Matthews were included in previous reports indicating that up to six prominent players had tested positive for performance-enhancing or recreational drugs in tests administered in February at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. Also named were Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji, Illinois cornerback Vontae Davis, Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin and UTEP kicker Jose Martinez. Cushing, Raji, Davis and Harvin all are projected to be first-round picks in the NFL draft later this month.

NFLDraftbible.com reported that Cushing and Matthews tested positive for steroids and the other four for marijuana. SI.com, meanwhile, also reported that Raji had tested positive for a banned substance.

The sources said Cushing and Matthews both went straight to Dr. John Lombardo to find out about the reports. The sources said the two players were told by Lombardo, who administers the league’s drug policy, that they had nothing to worry about. The sources said Lombardo further explained to the players that if they had tested positive, they already would have received letters indicating as much. The letters reportedly were sent out three weeks ago, and the sources said that neither player received such a letter.

Representatives for Cushing, Matthews and Davis issued statements asserting that their clients hadn’t tested positive. The sources close to Cushing and Matthews had no personal knowledge of whether the other four players named in the report had received letters.

A statement issued by the NFL also indicated that any players who had tested positive should already have been notified, and explained clubs have not been informed of the results of the drug screenings that were done at the combine.

“Neither the 32 clubs nor the league office know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 combine,” the statement read. “The independent medical advisors who administer the tests have notified in writing those players and only those players who tested positive at the combine.”

It’s unclear if these reports will have any impact on the draft. If teams find out that any players have tested positive, their draft stock will decline significantly. A player rated in the first round could easily slip to the second round if reports such as these proved to be true.

“Unfortunately, rumors about draft eligible players, including rumors about test results, begin to circulate every year at this time,” the NFL’s statement read. “Many of these rumors are circulated for self-serving reasons and they are terribly unfair to the players and their families.”

Tom Condon, who represents Cushing, was particularly strong in his response to the report.

“There is no truth to the vicious and false rumor regarding Brian Cushing’s drug test at the Combine,” Condon said. “Brian, in fact, has been informed by league representatives that his test result was negative for any banned substances. Furthermore, neither the league office nor Brian’s representatives have been contacted regarding a positive test.”

Mark Humenik, who is one of the agents for Matthews, and Todd France, who represents Davis, also issued statements refuting the reports. Humenik’s company, Athletes First, also represents Raji, but Humenik said he had yet to confirm that Raji hadn’t received a letter – but he believed his client had not. The agents for Harvin and Martinez did not return messages.

Archived