THE BROWNS BOARD

More Positive Tests

standish

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/three_...t_positive.html

Boston College DT BJ Raji, Illinois CB Vontae Davis & Florida WR Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/usc_li...t_positive.html

USC LB’s Brian Cushing & Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/jose_m...s_positive.html

And UTEP Kicker test positive for marijuana as well...

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/three_...t_positive.html

Boston College DT BJ Raji, Illinois CB Vontae Davis & Florida WR Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/usc_li...t_positive.html

USC LB’s Brian Cushing & Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/jose_m...s_positive.html

And UTEP Kicker test positive for marijuana as well...

Uhhh...Matthews and Cushing just fell WAY out of the first round. This makes Rey M look much more attractive (although, my bets are on him taking GH or roids, but being smart enough to get off of them before the combine).

What's up with these guys who can't quit smoking dope their senior year. You stand to make how much money and you can't quit smoking? Wait until after you get that fat contract, then you can buy the shit by the trashcan.

Dumbasses.

What's up with these guys who can't quit smoking dope their senior year.

this is why people look at athletes as complete morons: because they are. all you have to do is not smoke a certain substance and you would be a multi millionaire. it's like they are being asked: "hey do you want to make a million dollars?": "YEAH!" "do you want to not doing anything illegal?": "why the hell would i want to do that?"

honestly these guys are all morons and should i hope that teams remember this come draft time because the only way to get these guys to understand anything is to hit them where it hurts: there wallets.

I am actually happy about this, it raises his draft stock showing the world his teammates are cheaters and he is still able to be a beat without roids...... Now the only thing that will make my day is for Curry to be reported on roids

i actually thought about this too. they got caught with roids and shouldn't really need to take them again. if they did take them again and got caught then they are bigger dumbasses than we thought. this does bring up an interesting thought though. are there several of usc's players on roids or is it just a desperate attempt to get their draft stock up? i could totally see pete caroll turning his back and not caring if his players took roids. it would explain a lot really. it really doesn't matter though. the ncaa would never do any in depth probing into usc, one of their biggest money makers. look at the other allegations that just went to the waste side. remember when reggie bush's family was receiving money and housing from boosters? what ever happened to that story? it's very similar to what the nfl does to the steelers. because of their high profile status, the nfl is afraid to touch them. same with usc.

I'll tell you why they can't stop smoking.

Weed is a natural pain killer, thus why it's prescribed to cancer/aids patients. When you play football there is pain, and weed helps not only the player to relax, but also helps with muscle pain and gives them a higher tolerance in the weight room and on the field.

For me it's a non issue as long as they show desire to work in other areas.

The Matthews positive test is very disappointing to say the least. Latimier anybody?

Sigh, I was really hoping we could snag that kid.

BJ Raji has a history. I'm guessing all of these guys have been smoking weed since way before 'pain' became in issue. My bets is they aren't smoking weed to JUST combat the pain. More like, stopping the pain is a happy side-effect of just getting stoned.

Clay III is extemely disappointing.

Well, it is interesting that you can look at Mathew's and Cushing's builds and wonder....

I guess it was too much to expect Mathews to be like his Dad and come to the Browns...

So... Orakpo and Curry are the real deal -without- any help, I take it. That's impressive.

stupid as it is to smoke and take roids there still kids and they have proable got a system to getting clean real quick that work all there lifes before but now there in the big leagues and the test are that much harder to pass

( welcome to the nfl and real $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

...with roids and shouldn't really need to take them again...

Right you are. The thinking for years was steroids really only helped while you're cycling on them and the benefits dwindled quickly thereafter.

However, recent studies are showing the benefit of steroids lasts years, even decades, after an athlete has stopped taking them, as long as they continue to work out. This is especially true if they are taken when one is younger (Shawn Merriman) rather than the after 35 baseball crowd, who uses it to extend careers, or the 60 and over Stallone types.

Players, agents, and dealers surely know this. They also know you can take all the creatine, herbs, and supplements you want, but nothing helps like steroids. Steroids have always been king.

Man, I really wanted C3, but there is some team out there who will take him. I'd still consider him in the third round, but not the second. The psychology of steroids is interesting. Most view it as cheating, illegal, and dangerous to your health - all true. But, the person willing to do steroids is often a focused and driven individual, but has compromised ethics. Drive and focus are not bad traits when properly directed. Some have it, some don't, and most believe drive and focus are difficult to teach.

oh noes....instead of letting them do drugs, lets prescribe stronger drugs of a more serious variety to help them with the pain. so long as its addiction to a legal drug, like alcohol and percs, its OK. that evil pot needs to go....

Guest Aloysius

Here's what Cushing said at his pro day:

Cushing, who ran a 4.7 40, said Wednesday he tested negative for steroids at the NFL Combine last month in Indianapolis. Cushing said he was bothered by a report at the combine that teams were concerned about the issue, because he never tested positive for any illegal substances.

"Yeah, it bugged me a little bit," he said. "I'm not worrying about it."

oh noes....instead of letting them do drugs, lets prescribe stronger drugs of a more serious variety to help them with the pain. so long as its addiction to a legal drug, like alcohol and percs, its OK. that evil pot needs to go....

Legal does not equal a good idea. Addicition by its own definition, to anything, is bad.

We've gotten into the juice discussion hardcore here before and my buddy Flugs disagree on a lot ot things regarding the topic. Suffice it to say, I beleive when done correctly roids can greatly benefit the body for years, but the key is educaton, diet, ancillaries etc.

However, NOBODY under the age of 25 should ever be doing them, period. The natural test is still abundant in the system and throwing in different levels of Test can be very harmful to development down the line.

As far as Clay doing them, it depends on the degree and severity. What also concerns me is not being educated enough to know what to take and how to beat these tests. That reeks of someone blindly taking whatever the musclehead at the gym gives them. These things are a lot more complicated than people know, which also leads to much confusion amongst the masses who just assume the things are lethal and dangerous. A lot of research and education goes into these things, or they can be lethal and dangerous.

PS Ask the Pukers about they boys. They were chewing orals like candy and shooting up with all the wrong esters. Total abuse.

Well then. That should effectively stop the "Chip off the old block" Clay III homer bullcrap we've been inundated with for months here now that the stink is definitely off that rose. Unless you myopians plan on rationalizing this dumb action somehow...

I guess we figured out how to go from walk-on to possible first round pick...

I also think this shows the character of Rey Maualuga, he obviously had felt the pressure to do steroids seeing as how his teammates were, and not only were they his teammates but they were also his first round competition, he took the high road knowing that it could cost him a crap ton of money.

It isn't that they are smoking pot. It's that pot is currently ILLEGAL, whether you agree with it or not. This is a STRONG inidicator of someone who makes poor decisions - especially in a situation like this, where we're talking millions of dollars. If they'll do it leading up to the draft, what else will they do.

That scares owners off, as it should.

I also think this shows the character of Rey Maualuga, he obviously had felt the pressure to do steroids seeing as how his teammates were, and not only were they his teammates but they were also his first round competition, he took the high road knowing that it could cost him a crap ton of money.

Or he just had better trainers who know how to dose him without him getting caught.

I don't for a minute really believe he wasn't taking steroids. I'm sure it was JUST limited to Cushing and Clay...

Guest Aloysius

theOBR's Brent "Sobo" Sobleski confirms that Harvin tested positive for weed. Add that to the 12 score on the Wonderlic and the reports that he insulted his former teammates & doesn't take well to tough coaching...I think it's safe to say that he's got some serious intelligence/character red flags.

theOBR's Brent "Sobo" Sobleski confirms that Harvin tested positive for weed. Add that to the 12 score on the Wonderlic and the reports that he insulted his former teammates & doesn't take well to tough coaching...I think it's safe to say that he's got some serious intelligence/character red flags.

Sounds like the perfect fit for Dallas.

I guess my big hang up here is how many other USC players are on ROIDS? Geesh...

PFT is reporting that Clay did NOT fail a steroids test.

Link

In response to NFL Draft Bible’s report that USC linebacker Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, the agent that represents Matthews has issued a denial.

In an e-mail sent to Rick Serritella at NFL Draft Bible from Athletes First vice president and general counsel Mark Humenik stated that neither Matthews or his agents have been informed of any failed drug test. Plus, he added that a lawyer for the league office told him that the NFL hasn’t received notification that any players have tested positive for steroids at the combine.

NFL Draft Bible also reported that USC linebacker Brian Cushing has tested positive for steroids.

Here’s an unabridged copy of the note addressed to NFL Draft Bible, which is the Web site that reported on Matthews and several other players’ allegedly positive tests:

“Our office represents Clay Matthews. Your website is reporting, via unnamed sources including one NFL team, that Clay tested positive for steroids at the NFL Combine. As I’m sure you know, the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances clearly states that ‘any Club or Club employee that publicly divulges, directly or indirectly, information concerning positive tests or other violations of this Policy (including numerical summaries or specific names of persons) or otherwise breaches the confidentiality provisions of this Policy is subject to a fine of up to $500,000 by the Commissioner.’

“Further, neither Clay nor our office has received notification of any positive test, whether for steroids or any banned substance. I also have been informed by an attorney at the NFL League Office that they have not received notification from the Independent Administrator of any Draft-eligible players testing positive for steroids during the pre-employment drug testing conducted at this year’s Combine, and likewise, that they have not informed the member NFL clubs of any drug testing results. Govern yourself accordingly.

Sincerely, Mark Humenik Vice President & General Counsel Athletes First”

PFT is reporting that Clay did NOT fail a steroids test.

Link

In response to NFL Draft Bible’s report that USC linebacker Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, the agent that represents Matthews has issued a denial.

In an e-mail sent to Rick Serritella at NFL Draft Bible from Athletes First vice president and general counsel Mark Humenik stated that neither Matthews or his agents have been informed of any failed drug test. Plus, he added that a lawyer for the league office told him that the NFL hasn’t received notification that any players have tested positive for steroids at the combine.

NFL Draft Bible also reported that USC linebacker Brian Cushing has tested positive for steroids.

Here’s an unabridged copy of the note addressed to NFL Draft Bible, which is the Web site that reported on Matthews and several other players’ allegedly positive tests:

“Our office represents Clay Matthews. Your website is reporting, via unnamed sources including one NFL team, that Clay tested positive for steroids at the NFL Combine. As I’m sure you know, the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances clearly states that ‘any Club or Club employee that publicly divulges, directly or indirectly, information concerning positive tests or other violations of this Policy (including numerical summaries or specific names of persons) or otherwise breaches the confidentiality provisions of this Policy is subject to a fine of up to $500,000 by the Commissioner.’

“Further, neither Clay nor our office has received notification of any positive test, whether for steroids or any banned substance. I also have been informed by an attorney at the NFL League Office that they have not received notification from the Independent Administrator of any Draft-eligible players testing positive for steroids during the pre-employment drug testing conducted at this year’s Combine, and likewise, that they have not informed the member NFL clubs of any drug testing results. Govern yourself accordingly.

Sincerely, Mark Humenik Vice President & General Counsel Athletes First”

That seems to say to me that they don't know the results yet, not that he passed the test.

It's possible someone is getting inside info from the labs before it is released.

That seems to say to me that they don't know the results yet, not that he passed the test.

It's possible someone is getting inside info from the labs before it is released.

Yeah I suppose, but if thats the case, hope they have an extra 500 large laying around.

We've gotten into the juice discussion hardcore here before and my buddy Flugs disagree on a lot ot things regarding the topic. Suffice it to say, I beleive when done correctly roids can greatly benefit the body for years, but the key is educaton, diet, ancillaries etc.

Here's my take:

When used correctly and clincally - they're not supposed to be used for sports. THAT is where the problem comes in. When people and, even worse, young TEENS start taking these - they usually get them and the usage instructions from meatheads not to be confused with doctors.

I look at the Steelers and count caskets and I read Death in the Lockerroom which was VERY similar in summarizing the death and disability counts of the world's most elite athletes that competed in the Olympics. ALOT of them got weird forms of cancer and heart disease. Some thought they were using the best nutrition supplemented with the best training and guess what? They either died or suffered serious ailments from the usage. When you're messing with your endocrine system and DNA for an extended period it's a risk even if there's a black market doctor overseeing it. The Pittsburgh Steelers had the HGH doctor when they won the SB in Detroit. Ben went from Bambi with a terrible knee injury to looking like the Roadrunner escaping Wiley Coyote the next 8 weeks a 5-7 Pitt team would go undefeated against the meat of their schedule. I think this is the SAFE thing you are talking about. They were all closely supervised by the unethical Dr known for his excessive HGH purchases; where they'd pass any drug test. Plus, I'm sure the doctor supervision thing involved a BP cuff, cholesterol screening, etc. Teens don't get this in weight rooms of America though.

I'd LOVE for the game to get cleaned up. I'll know there's LEGIT effort when I see them testing for HGH and testing everyone. It's an industry that grosses billions of $ so they can afford it.

- Tom F.

Just was watching NFL network.

They reported the steroid tests as hoaxes because that info isn't even released to the teams before a week until the draft.

So we've got a leak in the testing office or someone who is hounding for a story and doesn't give a damn whose name they smear.

Believe it or not, I agree with you on these issues. That ain't character - that's stupidity. It sounds like he only got his name right on the Wonderlic to support that. BJ Raji is the same stupidity story. All the previous stuff I read about Harvin was about him wanting to be #1 in the weight room, on the practice field and on game day. What wasn't to like about that from me? You sent me an article of him getting kicked out of a high school game, which had me thinking kid's do stupid things and that was a stupid act on his part. Staying consistent here: ANYONE with dirty urine at the combines has this flaw not just our hand picked favorites. If you're one that thinks everyone takes drugs and gets away with it then you at least have to think anyone getting busted for dirty urine has the thinking capacity of an infant speaking fluid goo-goo-gaa-gaa.

Understanding these are young men today going to an industry willing to pay talented players a minimum of 6 figures, we don't have a place on our roster for guys with a history of dumb acts such as these. If you aren't SMART enough to refrain from risky behaviors that could jeopardize your job interview for an entertainment field that uses the word professional in it's name, I can't see a SMART team taking the risk on you.

For the record, I NEVER said I wanted us to take Andre Smith. I just said it was too bad he blew off his interviews because it was obvious he wasn't a bright kid that was getting zero guidance. Now they're trying to invent a better OT than he was last year so they're looking at body fat percentages in Virginia and they went to a conference that doesn't play any defense to find another kid from Baylor. I wouldn't DRAFT Andre for us; but I think someone like BB would. Someone is going to see the body of work Nick Saban got from the kid and realize that the RIGHT coach got the right goodies from him. No marijuana or steroid concerns here - just the number of brain cells on speaking terms in Andre's dome.

Unfortunately, Donte Stallworth is the same story and he didn't even finish flushing his entire roster bonus down the toilet before he killed someone during his celebratory habits. We're currently eating his cap commitment like Pez from a dispenser.

Tucker has gone AWOL and been suspended for drugs. HOWEVA, alot of people want to see him do well. I swam against the current the day he got busted with dirty urine and said cut his ass. That's not a reliable player - just look at how many games he's missed in 06, 07 and 08 before tallying up excuses for each absence. Our brain trust was calling this guy a team leader at the time. Now you can see why certain walking papers were necessary.

In the era BEFORE salary caps, it was possible for the Oakland Raiders to draft a Scott Davis whom was in jail on draft day. Teams in transition like us can't afford that kind of risk. Don't confuse that with me wanting a MEAN basterd in the Center of our Defense. And this won't be politically correct but I don't care because it's a compliment. Somaons are the strongest people on the planet so they don't need to go Billy Romanowski in justifying why they need to take roids or explain any dirty urine rumors. As we once found with Billy, where there was smoke there was fire inspite of everything he argued about being clean and ultra-scientific in approach. Like it or not, drug abuse includes lying so don't shoot the mailman.

- Tom F.

Archived