THE BROWNS BOARD

Trading Down

TexasAg1969

At minimum a 2016 1st and 2nd by a team within a couple spots of us... say 4-8.

At most the above plus a 2017 1st by a team slotted to pick in the 10-16 spot.

Who? Really think that depends on the player that goes at #1 overall as much as anything.

Do I? Not as of now... I do not want to miss out on my QB, who I think will fall to me at #2.

At minimum a 2016 1st and 2nd by a team within a couple spots of us... say 4-8.

At most the above plus a 2017 1st by a team slotted to pick in the 10-16 spot.

Who? Really think that depends on the player that goes at #1 overall as much as anything.

Do I? Not as of now... I do not want to miss out on my QB, who I think will fall to me at #2.

Thats the exact deal I was thinking as both possible and acceptable.....this years #1 and #2(inside the top 10)....and next years #1 deferred....

One possibility is Dallas, cause Jerry is just crazy enough to do it.....

Id do it "if" our FO was convinced that.... A) our franchise QB was not there at #2.....or B ) that there are 2+ franchise QB's available......

Thats the exact deal I was thinking as both possible and acceptable.....this years #1 and #2(inside the top 10)....and next years #1 deferred....

One possibility is Dallas, cause Jerry is just crazy enough to do it.....

Id do it "if" our FO was convinced that.... A) our franchise QB was not there at #2.....or B ) that there are 2+ franchise QB's available......

That could be an OK deal......If Dallas gave us #4 and #35 for...and their #1 next year? I don't think they would do that to move up 2 spots, would they?

It might even be an OK deal with just #4 and #35...would it?

Or, how about this: Per the draft pick value chart:

Browns trade #2 worth 2600 points for:

Dallas's #4 worth 1800 pts...and their #34 pick worth 560 points and their 3rd rounder #67 worth 270 points.

That comes out real close 1800+560+270= 2630

We throw back to them our 6th rounder which will be just about 30 pts. in value.

Browns then possess: #4, #32, #34 #65 and #67.

At #4 they take: Who? Fill in the blank

At #32 they take: Who? fill in the Blank

At #34 they take: Who? fill in the blank

At #65 they take: Who? Fill in the Blank

At #67 they take: Who? fill in the blank

They would have 5 of the top 67 picks. You know, I would make that deal.....would you?

I would rather see us get our top guy. Trades haven't exactly been kind to us in recent past history, but if one happens, it happens.

As far as the draft pick value chart?...The HELL with fairness if we're in the driver's seat.

Mike

At #4 they take: Who? Fill in the blank Perhaps the QB here...either Goff or Wentz will still be on the board

At #32 they take: Who? fill in the Blank DE Ogbah out of Oklahoma?

At #34 they take: Who? fill in the blank WR Josh Doctson? (or switch the WR/DE)

At #65 they take: Who? Fill in the Blank

At #67 they take: Who? fill in the blank

For these last 2 consider Sua Cravens USC, Ryan Nassib Penn St. on defense. OC Nick Martin, Notre Dame? (we may need a center...if Mack bolts and Erving plays OG or OT)

That could be an OK deal......If Dallas gave us #4 and #35 for...and their #1 next year? I don't think they would do that to move up 2 spots, would they?

It might even be an OK deal with just #4 and #35...would it?

Or, how about this: Per the draft pick value chart:

Browns trade #2 worth 2600 points for:

Dallas's #4 worth 1800 pts...and their #34 pick worth 560 points and their 3rd rounder #67 worth 270 points.

I might consider that with Dallas @ #4....but anything later, I would still want 2 firsts and a second.....Ill throw Johnny in to sweeten the pot....;)

I might consider that with Dallas @ #4....but anything later, I would still want 2 firsts and a second.....Ill throw Johnny in to sweeten the pot.... ;)

Yea, this would only work with the #4 pick.

And to Canton Mike....sure I wouldn't mind screwing over Jerry Jones. But I think they have guys that can do the math that would advise him to make the trade come out with equal evaluation. But if we can get away with it....hell yes.

IF Dallas is serious about a QB, either Wentz or Goff, they don't have to trade up. But if they really want Bosa and we say we are taking him, then just maybe they might bite. Are we prepared to call their bluff if we know for sure they wanted Bosa? Then we take him and see who wants to trade for him. Hasn't that been done before? This is going to be a most interesting draft.

suppose that the Browns think Lynch is the #1 qb.

Would I think that he would still be there at eight or ten,

as in, be absolutely certain?

It's tough to gamble when the Browns absolutely need

to get it right this draft.

I'd love a trade down, .... but I wouldn't trade down far.

Bosa or a LT might be the draw.

I'm thinkin they will stay if that ONE qb is their guy.

IF Dallas is serious about a QB, either Wentz or Goff, they don't have to trade up. But if they really want Bosa and we say we are taking him, then just maybe they might bite.

That is the game isn't it? Add that if we drop to 4, then #3 becomes very tradable and is within reach of CHI at 11 and Philly at 13 both of whom might be in the market for a QB.

That's why it gets easier, so much easier, if we view Goff and Wentz as essentially equal prospects.

The Browns hold the #2 position in the draft for a reason - they stink. They need a long-term solution at QB. There are only one or two players that fit that description in this draft. Stop trying to get cute by trading down - that strategy has EXPLODED in the Browns' faces every time they employed it. Stay at #2 and draft the QB. It's not rocket science.

The Browns hold the #2 position in the draft for a reason - they stink. They need a long-term solution at QB. There are only one or two players that fit that description in this draft. Stop trying to get cute by trading down - that strategy has EXPLODED in the Browns' faces every time they employed it. Stay at #2 and draft the QB. It's not rocket science.

Not to pick on you or anything but I can't stand the rocket science analogy when it comes to drafting players in any sport. Rocket science is a much more exact in terms of variables. All player drafts are a glorified shot in the dark. Players may have certain attributes (speed, size, etc) that differentiate them but there are so many unknown variables at work (ability to learn, character etc) that I'd feel much better about launching a rocket then drafting a player.

Alright I'm stepping off the soap box, continue with the actual conversation.

I agree with you Taco on the fact that selecting talent to play in the NFL is an inexact science. My use of "rocket science" wasn't meant to demean the vetting process of players by teams but, rather, the obvious (in my opinion) decision to make regarding the #2 pick - stay there and take a QB.

Not to pick on you or anything but I can't stand the rocket science analogy when it comes to drafting players in any sport. Rocket science is a much more exact in terms of variables. All player drafts are a glorified shot in the dark. Players may have certain attributes (speed, size, etc) that differentiate them but there are so many unknown variables at work (ability to learn, character etc) that I'd feel much better about launching a rocket then drafting a player.

Alright I'm stepping off the soap box, continue with the actual conversation.

Ever seen that comic strip where the two surgeons are performing a surgery together and one of them is struggling? The other goes "come on, Bill, it ain't rocket science." Classic.

It obviously depends on how far we'd be willing to go down, and like many of our posters, I don't want to go further than 7ish in the first round. But honestly, I'm not sure I want to trade down AT ALL. If our talent studs determine that one of the QB prospects is worthy of the second overall pick, then we can't trade down and risk missing out on our guy. We have to take him, and that's that. Now, if the guy we're sold on somehow goes first overall via trade with the Titans, then we're kind of in a pickle. Still, I don't want to trade down past about 7.

So let's say we do trade down to about 6 or so...what do we get? Well, the precedent says we get their first rounder next year, but those deals are going to be harder and harder to come by, but it's doable. However, I think we get their 2016 3rd rounder, and not their second rounder.

I only can see #3 SD & #1 Tits fighting over Tunsil at LT & both have a good reason. Heard on NFL radio which Texas board members could possibly confirm, Dallas may have locker room issues with G. Hardy possibly getting him out of Garrett's room. Leaving Dallas Bosa, Buckner or Jack to choose from. If am Sashi am telling Dallas am taking Bosa. ;). Great idea AG69 if we still get Goff at 4. But Titians or SD would still be scary actually picking at 3 though. Take your guy at 2 & Risk nothing.

I only can see #3 SD & #1 Tits fighting over Tunsil at LT & both have a good reason. Heard on NFL radio which Texas board members could possibly confirm, Dallas may have locker room issues with G. Hardy possibly getting him out of Garrett's room. Leaving Dallas Bosa, Buckner or Jack to choose from. If am Sashi am telling Dallas am taking Bosa. ;). Great idea AG69 if we still get Goff at 4. But Titians or SD would still be scary actually picking at 3 though. Take your guy at 2 & Risk nothing.

Yep, but if your guy is an either/or tossup Goff or Wentz, there is nothing to lose.

I've been saying this for a long time. The Browns have totally dropped the ball for years in trading away picks and blowing it.

"Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it." I hope Hue hammers this message home at 76 Lou Groza.

Ummmm... No. Love Zeke. He's the best RB in the draft by more than a little, but he's not a game changer. There are a couple Day 2 RBs that I think run heavier than Crow, but with similar accel, speed and agility.

Were to drop to 15, I'd hope it was in increments where we could accumulate some R2 and R3 picks. Then assuming the top 2 QB(s)are gone, I'd look at the best LB. Probably Spence, but might be Ragland, who I have warmed to since I saw him work OLB at the Sr. Bowl. Not that I'd move him there, but it's nice to have the versatility...

If the Browns have their eyes on one of two QBs, the ONLY guarantee they have of getting one of 'em is staying right at #2

Mike

It's going to be interesting to see how our analytics guys factor all of this in and what moves, if any, they make before making a pick. Will they decide QB is the key to a turnaround or will they decide edge rushers and run stoppers have more impact. Inquiring minds want to know their conclusions.

It's going to be interesting to see how our analytics guys factor all of this in and what moves, if any, they make before making a pick. Will they decide QB is the key to a turnaround or will they decide edge rushers and run stoppers have more impact. Inquiring minds want to know their conclusions.

agreed....I think they are well aware of the fact we need a QB....top priority.....but I think they are also well aware of our drafting history and dont want to be responsible for the next failure......sooooo, I dont see them picking a QB at #2, unless they feel positive he's the guy.....and, no matter what the pundits say, we have no concept of what the Browns think about any of these guys.....

If they engage in talks for an Osweiler, then that should be enough to indicate they dont want to pick one of these guys early......

Well today is the first day for franchise tagging. Last day will be March 1. I don't expect to see anything on Miller concerning the tag until the last minute unless it is to announce his new contract completion with Denver. They better not kill the goose that just laid them the two golden eggs in the SB. Too many great years ahead for him.

Edit-this must be really hard to see for some of you who want a QB as 2nd overall. This is Tour's fav. site for rating and it has Goff @ 10 and Wentz @ 15. So a reach maybe? It's why I'd trade down for extra talent.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/big-board

...but I think they are also well aware of our drafting history and dont want to be responsible for the next failure......sooooo, I dont see them picking a QB at #2, unless they feel positive he's the guy...

God, I hope the above is not the case.

If they pick scared based upon their predecessors' piss-poor results, then we've already lost...

God, I hope the above is not the case.

If they pick scared based upon their predecessors' piss-poor results, then we've already lost...

Well, clearly our draft history is hanging over their heads....whether it makes them nervous or not is another question.....

But, with this whole analytics thing, my take is that it may help them to pick the "safe bet", while eliminating the risk of them taking a full on gamble.....

But, with this whole analytics thing, my take is that it may help them to pick the "safe bet", while eliminating the risk of them taking a full on gamble.....

Baby steps... if year one we can eliminate the blatantly stupid, I'll be happy. I mean the Wheezy-grade stuff we all could see coming.

Archived