THE BROWNS BOARD

I hope this is not correct browns possible qb

beare

MMQB's Peter King suggests the Browns could become the Broncos' top competition for free agent Brock Osweiler.

Many anticipate the Browns drafting a quarterback at No. 2 overall, but they have a ton of salary cap space ($33.2M) to make a run at Osweiler. With Von Miller expected to be franchised, Osweiler could maximize his value on the open market. Osweiler is the favorite to open 2016 as Denver’s starter, but is going to command higher than the $12.25M AAV Nick Foles got from the Rams.

im not sold on him at all

Broncos are losing Manning this year (or getting rid); he's their backup that they've groomed for four years; they won't have a high draft pick to get a new immediate starter; if they don't want him, why the fuck would anybody else?

Farmers best parting gift maybe getting us McCown for a remaining salary of 4.375mill.(spotrac?) & a year to get a rookie QB or 2 under his NFL experience. Maybe no Luck guarantees but full of winner's & game managers. It's all about finding the right QB's that can anticipate the speed of the game is going to get faster..

Farmers best parting gift maybe getting us McCown for a remaining salary of 4.375mill.(spotrac?) & a year to get a rookie QB or 2 under his NFL experience. Maybe no Luck guarantees but full of winner's & game managers. It's all about finding the right QB's that can anticipate the speed of the game is going to get faster..

We don't need a luck. If you need a luck to win, we might as well just hand the championship to Indy for the next 10 years, or let them fight with green bay. You need a good QB, sure, but nobody would say Flacco's the best of a generation, or Wilson, or 40-year-old Manning, but with great teams around them they can take you to a championship.

It's not that the Broncos don't want him, it's that he might opt to go somewhere and get more money. Broncs have to cash out a lot of guys this year, especially on defense...so they might not be able to pay him over 12m, if he's even worth that much ffs. If some team gives him over 12m...holy shit. He needs to start a whole season to see if that's warranted. But he might have the Broncos by the short and curlies. If he bolts, wtf are they gonna do? Peyton's done, his arm will not last another half season.

Brock is very difficult to effectively evaluate because he played with one of the best defenses in the past twenty years (in my opinion). If you're a QB, and you know your defense is going to get the ball back to you more often than not, that's a luxury that not many people get to play with, right? Look at Manning's numbers in the Super Bowl. He didn't have to do a whole lot, and his team STILL won. Suffice to say, our Browns defense doesn't exactly remind people of the 85 Bears. The QB that plays for us will more than likely have to make plays to win games, will have to play without a lead, and will have to maximize whatever possessions he does get. Our QB won't have elite weapons, probably won't have a stellar running game, and will have to fight for whatever points he can squeeze out. Having Josh Gordon would obviously help anybody, but his attendance seems anything but a lock. Brock appears to be a traditional pocket QB, and I don't remember him being all too athletic (I could be mistaken, but being 6'7 doesn't usually lend itself to great agility and speed). I'm not saying I want a QB that's "run first" or anything, but the dual threat guy seems to be extremely valuable these days.

It's not that the Broncos don't want him, it's that he might opt to go somewhere and get more money. Broncs have to cash out a lot of guys this year, especially on defense...so they might not be able to pay him over 12m, if he's even worth that much ffs. If some team gives him over 12m...holy shit. He needs to start a whole season to see if that's warranted. But he might have the Broncos by the short and curlies. If he bolts, wtf are they gonna do? Peyton's done, his arm will not last another half season.

If they think it's worth it, they'll pay him. Having a top tier QB for the next 10 years trumps having a good DT.

Well hopefully we won't be the schmucks to pay $12m/year to an unknown QB, but we might be.

I see him ending up with maybe a 2-year, heavily incentivised contract worth up to about $15m/year. Then after that, probably a Dalton/Kaepernick style, 5 year, $20m/year contract that's guaranteed for nothing, basically (assuming he does well in the two year trial).

I guess Ill go against the grain and say....why not?....Its Jimmys $, not mine....so I really dont care how much he pays anybody....unless it taps us out and that has yet to happen(we're always under the cap w/money to spare).....

We pay Dezmond Bryant and Paul Kruger $8m a year....we pay Dwayne Bowe $6m a year.....we pay our center $8m a year....

so why not roll the dice on a QB that we desperately need and, so far, has shown he can play pretty good....????

Definitely better than signing a cheaper one who cant play......

I say...Go for it.....then draft me some defense....:)

If there is a great QB to be had in free agency, or trade, then I'd be all over it. We have the bucks to spend big on a QB, and the high draft picks to remake the D. I just don't see such a QB in this FA market. The top names all come with huge red flags - Cousins, if the skins don't keep him you have to wonder why; even more so with Osweiler. Bradford has big injury history - but so did Palmer and Brees, and he's probably the best bet of the three so far. Foles could be had quite cheaply, but hasn't done much outside of that one good season. Are any of them significantly better than McCown? More importantly, are any even close to what you could get in the draft?

I guess Ill go against the grain and say....why not?....Its Jimmys $, not mine....so I really dont care how much he pays anybody....unless it taps us out and that has yet to happen(we're always under the cap w/money to spare).....

We pay Dezmond Bryant and Paul Kruger $8m a year....we pay Dwayne Bowe $6m a year.....we pay our center $8m a year....

so why not roll the dice on a QB that we desperately need and, so far, has shown he can play pretty good....????

Definitely better than signing a cheaper one who cant play......

I say...Go for it.....then draft me some defense....:)

Agreed.

Peyton is making like 20 mill so if he leaves and they sign Os they save like 8 mill. If they thought he could be a pro bowl caliber QB, money would not be an issue.

I think the issue is that they have no cap space and want to sign Von Miller, who says he wants to be the highest paid in the league and, therefore, will eat up the little $ they do have.....so, by signing Miller, they can only offer Osweiler like 10-12m....and some other teams can offer more.....

Or...they keep Osweiler and lose Miller....(which we should be HAPPY to sign)

I think the issue is that they have no cap space and want to sign Von Miller, who says he wants to be the highest paid in the league and, therefore, will eat up the little $ they do have.....so, by signing Miller, they can only offer Osweiler like 10-12m....and some other teams can offer more.....

Or...they keep Osweiler and lose Miller....(which we should be HAPPY to sign)

That's my belief as well. It's not that they don't want him, it's a matter of if they can afford him and compete with other teams if he should hit the open market. They've obviously seen enough in him in practice and what little game experience he has over the last 4 years to keep him around each year knowing the starting QB was extremely fragile.

gumby73, on 15 Feb 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:snapback.png

We don't need a luck. If you need a luck to win, we might as well just hand the championship to Indy for the next 10 years, or let them fight with green bay. You need a good QB, sure, but nobody would say Flacco's the best of a generation, or Wilson, or 40-year-old Manning, but with great teams around them they can take you to a championship.

He meant Andrew Luck - why the L was capitalized.....

Millers knd of a dbag if he's like I just gotta be the higest paid nigga in the league. You're part of a pontentially historically good defense. Pump the brakes a bit so the team can sign other talent that HELPS you. Von Miller would not be as productive on the Browns defense as he is on that Broncos D, like not even close....hope you all realize that. Teams would roll away from him all game, trap inside of him and dare our ILB's to make a play. Ther'es plenty of ways to neutralize a player like Von if he's the only real baller on the defense, which he would be in Cleveland.

Millers knd of a dbag if he's like I just gotta be the higest paid nigga in the league. You're part of a pontentially historically good defense. Pump the brakes a bit so the team can sign other talent that HELPS you.

Pretty much the way it goes with SB teams now a days....gotta get the big $ while the iron is hot.....thats why its important to only overpay the right guys and not the ones who are replaceable.....

Well... you have to start somewhere...

Yep...and it would be a damn good place to start....thats one FA signing I could get with easily.....

Archived