THE BROWNS BOARD

Should Browns be thinking of trading Gordon?

Alkid3

Ummmm.... no.

But speaking of Gordon...

Odd conversation on NFL Insiders yesterday about his reinstatement process. The heads were talking as if he somehow had to make the case to the league that he has "stayed clean" throughout the entirety of his suspension.

Setting aside the difficulties inherent in proving any negative, has he not been in the testing protocol throughout this past year?

Setting aside the difficulties inherent in proving any negative, has he not been in the testing protocol throughout this past year?

You would think so.....plus, Id say the fact that his last indiscretion was booze and not pot should work in his favor....IE...almost 2 years since he last tested positive for "drugs"....

At this point, it's better to hopefully get him back on our sidelines and see how it goes. There's no way a guy like him would garner more than a 5th round pick which isn't worth the potential he could bring.

However, if it's clear he's loafing and not buying in like he has done in the past, he'd be good trade bait during the regular season (packaged with our beloved LT perhaps..)

to be clear though, someone does offer something nice.....you take that deal before the persons lips are done moving.

Sure, and when he goes on to have a Chris Carter level career elsewhere, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass. We won't get anything for him, and he's still on his cheap rookie deal

Another silly season guys flapping their gums on a slow news day. Like the Cavs are gonna trade for Mello.

You would think so.....plus, Id say the fact that his last indiscretion was booze and not pot should work in his favor....IE...almost 2 years since he last tested positive for "drugs"....

nobody even knows what this kid is doing or where he is...i haven't heard anything...don't see anything on espn...nothing on the radio....its a crapshoot...you gameplan for someone like him and then pow, another incident and he's booted out of the nfl...then what do you do, we don't have any recievers worth a shit. remember, this is cleveland where all bad luck and bad shit happens....

The talent-poor Browns do not have the luxury of trading away a talent as great as Gordon. Granted, he's one spark away from getting kicked out of the NFL for good. However, if he stays clean and plays hard he's a pro-bowl wide out.

The Browns absolutely have to roll the dice with Gordon. If he screws up the Browns won't be worse off than they are now. The only way that the Browns can mess this up is to trade him...because if they do Gordon will stay off the weed and put up All-Pro numbers for the next four seasons.

nobody even knows what this kid is doing or where he is...i haven't heard anything...don't see anything on espn...nothing on the radio....its a crapshoot...you gameplan for someone like him and then pow, another incident and he's booted out of the nfl...then what do you do, we don't have any recievers worth a shit. remember, this is cleveland where all bad luck and bad shit happens....

I follow the dude on Snapchat and literally all of his snaps are him working out and busting his ass, but that's a very limited view of course.

There's so little upside in trading him, as potential partners would hardly be getting a proven commodity (in terms of reliability, not talent). It'd be one thing if Gordon screwed up again and he would lose like 6 games, but the resounding feeling I get is that he screws up again and he's done...basically forever. So what would a team possibly give up for a guy that's a beer away from never seeing the field again? I get that his talent is extremely desirable, but he has to walk such a straight line that it's not even funny.

Additionally, his salary is very low (as I understand it), and from what I remember, we have him for this season and possibly NEXT year (I don't remember the specifics of what I heard. Possible the source was talking about a franchise tag, but I don't think that was it). Gordon put up silly numbers playing with Brandon Weeden, and granted many of his yards came in slop time, his talent is still evident. And for a guy that has screwed up way more than most in the league, he's a likeable guy! I've always felt that Gordon could somehow get his stuff together, and I hope I'm proven right. Not having a premier WR threat was never more apparent than it was last season, and Josh McCown can throw the rock. I see Gordon commanding a lot of defensive attention, would could very easily make a ton of room for either Barnidge or Benji.

As with any player, there's a price. If someone offers us their entire draft and three future first rounders, I'm sure we'd happily give them Johnson Bademosi. On the flip side, if someone offers us a conditional seventh rounder in 2025 for Joe Thomas, they'd be swiftly told where to go.

For each player, there's a fair price somewhere between those ranges. If the fair price is met, and the player is deemed replaceable, then go for it. Otherwise, don't, or jack the price up.

So, the question really is not 'should the browns trade Josh Gordon?' but 'what would be a fair value for Josh Gordon?' and the debate applies equally to all players.

Gordon was a such a huge disappointment a couple of season ago. I remember we were sitting at 6-3, first place in the division and I couldn't wait for Gordon to complete his 10 game suspension as I thought for sure he was going to help us win the division in the last six games of the season.

Everything I have read recently has been positive about Gordon though and he has great talent so unless someone gives us a great deal for him I would vote to keep him.

people just don't get it....you hit the nail on the head....

....so don't trade him?

I'd call it 'keeping a low profile'....tho not sure what you're saying here, is it trade him now??....

Even though you don't know what he's doing and ESPN doesn't know what he's doing, the NFL and his assigned Medical Advisor do.....and they've been working with him, monitoring his treatment plan and testing him through out his suspension.....

So, since he's applied for reinstatement, you have to assume he's met all the requirements to do so.....or why bother?

the resounding feeling I get is that he screws up again and he's done...basically forever. So what would a team possibly give up for a guy that's a beer away from never seeing the field again? I get that his talent is extremely desirable, but he has to walk such a straight line that it's not even funny.

Additionally, his salary is very low (as I understand it), and from what I remember, we have him for this season and possibly NEXT year (I don't remember the specifics of what I heard. Possible the source was talking about a franchise tag, but I don't think that was it).

Right....the one dim glimmer of hope is that "after 2 years" of staying clean, he can be discharged from the program by his medical advisor....all based upon how well he's adhered to his treatment program, etc.....it's a long shot, but possible....

Salary wise, we have him this year....and next season he will be a restricted FA, meaning we can match any offers.....If he returns to form this season, Id expect a nice contract offer, with lots of conditions(and zero guaranteed money).....IE ....he'll get the big bucks, but only if he's here and playing....

As with any player, there's a price.

Exactly....the one trade opportunity that may go over well is to package him for a move up in the draft.....say Gordon and a mid round pick or 2 to move back into the first?......

....so don't trade him?

I'd call it 'keeping a low profile'....tho not sure what you're saying here, is it trade him now??....

Even though you don't know what he's doing and ESPN doesn't know what he's doing, the NFL and his assigned Medical Advisor do.....and they've been working with him, monitoring his treatment plan and testing him through out his suspension.....

So, since he's applied for reinstatement, you have to assume he's met all the requirements to do so.....or why bother?

Right....the one dim glimmer of hope is that "after 2 years" of staying clean, he can be discharged from the program by his medical advisor....all based upon how well he's adhered to his treatment program, etc.....it's a long shot, but possible....

Salary wise, we have him this year....and next season he will be a restricted FA, meaning we can match any offers.....If he returns to form this season, Id expect a nice contract offer, with lots of conditions(and zero guaranteed money).....IE ....he'll get the big bucks, but only if he's here and playing....

Exactly....the one trade opportunity that may go over well is to package him for a move up in the draft.....say Gordon and a mid round pick or 2 to move back into the first?......

Who would give that? A first for Gordon and a third? They'd be crucified. Maybe for our second we could move up and get Jaylon Smith or someone around the #20 mark.

Who would give that? A first for Gordon and a third? They'd be crucified. Maybe for our second we could move up and get Jaylon Smith or someone around the #20 mark.

I dont know....maybe they would be crucified(probably). But Im basically saying Id do it, but wouldnt give Gordon away for a late rounder. Keep in mind our picks are very early ones.....so our 2nd is basically a late first etc....

Truth is....there is huge risk at both ends of a Gordon deal, making it hard for anyone to pull the trigger.....my preference all along has been to keep him and try to tap that much needed talent....there is no risk for us at this point....

So what would a team possibly give up for a guy that's a beer away from never seeing the field again?

Is that true?

I know his DUI induced prohibition was an issue separate and apart from his drug suspension. Are they now lumped together in essentially a one-strike program?

Archived