THE BROWNS BOARD

Man that was Ugly....

hoorta

Well, let's hope the team that just blew out the Spurs shows up the rest of the way out. Looks like the two bummers made the Cavs realize they're not invincible.

Well, let's hope the team that just blew out the Spurs shows up the rest of the way out. Looks like the two bummers made the Cavs realize they're not invincible.

I agree....sometimes a loss or two like that wakes you up....they looked good yesterday.

Even though are overall record is the best in the NBA our records against Boston & Orlando aren't great, and we got swept 0-2 by the Lakers.

These are the three teams that could knock us out of the playoffs, if and when we play any of them.

I hope Brown is up on his game, and LeBron comes out from the first second of the game looking to take it over and score quickly. I doubt we will get this close to winning a championship for another 20 years in Cleveland, lets do it this year and quit FOOKING around!

Guest Masters
Even though are overall record is the best in the NBA our records against Boston & Orlando aren't great, and we got swept 0-2 by the Lakers.

These are the three teams that could knock us out of the playoffs, if and when we play any of them.

I hope Brown is up on his game, and LeBron comes out from the first second of the game looking to take it over and score quickly. I doubt we will get this close to winning a championship for another 20 years in Cleveland, lets do it this year and quit FOOKING around!

Lakers are 0-2 against the Bobcats, and CLE was 2-0 against SA in 2007 when they got beat down 4-0 in the finals against them. Regular season record against a team means nothing as far as how a team will match up in a 7 game series.

ORL is the only team I see that will give the Cavs a hard fight in the eastern conference playoffs. Keeping in mind ORL and BOS will likely face each other in a long series before facing the Cavs in the ECF.

Being the realist that I am, I agree. I hate the terminology, "Best Team in the NBA" when I hear it on TV, ESPN, etc., Because the teams that really do matter and the ones we will meet in the playoffs, we haven't been spectacular against. Yes we have beaten the Magic and the Celtics, but the Lakers beat us twice. This is why Home court advantage will be huge for us.

Man if we don't win a Championship this year, we might as well Trade Lebron now, sell and move the team somewhere else burn all records that show the Cavs ever where.

I just tend to think that when a team like the Clippers or Kings beats an elite team like the Lakers or Cavs... that can be pretty much chalked up to lack of focus and the elite team just taking a night off.

But when you're talking about an elite team playing another elite team, during a season where they're competing directly with eachother for playoff home court priveleges... neither team will "lack focus" or "take the night off." You're going to have both teams playing pretty close to their peak. And that's why I'm worried, because given all that... the Lakers, Magic and Celtics might have higher peaks than the Cavs despite what their records are.

We'll see... Masters is right when he says the playoffs are a different animal. They're slower, more pressure packed defensive minded games. That favors the Cavs. But... just how much is the question.

Guest Masters
I just tend to think that when a team like the Clippers or Kings beats an elite team like the Lakers or Cavs... that can be pretty much chalked up to lack of focus and the elite team just taking a night off.

But when you're talking about an elite team playing another elite team, during a season where they're competing directly with eachother for playoff home court priveleges... neither team will "lack focus" or "take the night off." You're going to have both teams playing pretty close to their peak. And that's why I'm worried, because given all that... the Lakers, Magic and Celtics might have higher peaks than the Cavs despite what their records are.

We'll see... Masters is right when he says the playoffs are a different animal. They're slower, more pressure packed defensive minded games. That favors the Cavs. But... just how much is the question.

I'd strongly disagree with you about the taking a night off thing. I'd agree you shouldn't have it against another elite team. But any team can have a mental lapse or slip up against anyone during the regular season. In 82 games, you just aren't going to be able to play at an elite level every night. Elite teams can slip up, lack focus, and take a night off against any other team. Who they are is irrelevent. It's all mental when it happens.

I more worry CLE has mental lapses and gets into their heads against LAL and Magic (Celtics aren't even worth a thought. CLE took them to 7 w/o Mo even on the team). By pure skill of the roster, CLE is right there with LAL, and ORL is really still a step behind.

But all 4 teams have had the same peaks and valleys. How many games in a row have each of them lost during the course of the season? What are those other teams margin of victory over teams compared to the Cavs? All of those teams have the same peak. There is nothing to point that LAL, ORL, or the Celts have high peaks than CLE. They have all lost to good and bad teams. Not to mention the Celts are not even going to peak w/ an unhealthy Garnett

I'd strongly disagree with you about the taking a night off thing. I'd agree you shouldn't have it against another elite team. But any team can have a mental lapse or slip up against anyone during the regular season. In 82 games, you just aren't going to be able to play at an elite level every night. Elite teams can slip up, lack focus, and take a night off against any other team. Who they are is irrelevent. It's all mental when it happens.

I more worry CLE has mental lapses and gets into their heads against LAL and Magic (Celtics aren't even worth a thought. CLE took them to 7 w/o Mo even on the team). By pure skill of the roster, CLE is right there with LAL, and ORL is really still a step behind.

But all 4 teams have had the same peaks and valleys. How many games in a row have each of them lost during the course of the season? What are those other teams margin of victory over teams compared to the Cavs? All of those teams have the same peak. There is nothing to point that LAL, ORL, or the Celts have high peaks than CLE. They have all lost to good and bad teams. Not to mention the Celts are not even going to peak w/ an unhealthy Garnett

I would give you that if we were talking about one or even just two games, despite the fact that I highly doubt it happens at all in such important games. But we're not talking about one or two games. Were talking about 2-6 against the three particular other best teams and 60-9 against the rest of the NBA.

About the second part, that's really not true that LAL, ORL, Celts and Cavs have all lost to an equal ratio of good teams and bad teams. Over 1/3 of Cleveland's losses have been against the other top 3 teams in the NBA, while LAL, ORL, and BOS have all had more slip-ups against crappy teams yet still managed to pull it together and play at their peak against the Cavs.

That's my premise. The Cavs have played extremely consistently through most of the season, while the other top teams have had some peaks and valleys. Their records reflect that. Unfortunately, their records won't matter in the playoffs because they'll both be at their peaks.

As for "Boston isn't even worth a thought," well... that's just silly.

Guest Masters
I would give you that if we were talking about one or even just two games, despite the fact that I highly doubt it happens at all in such important games. But we're not talking about one or two games. Were talking about 2-6 against the three particular other best teams and 60-9 against the rest of the NBA.

About the second part, that's really not true that LAL, ORL, Celts and Cavs have all lost to an equal ratio of good teams and bad teams. Over 1/3 of Cleveland's losses have been against the other top 3 teams in the NBA, while LAL, ORL, and BOS have all had more slip-ups against crappy teams yet still managed to pull it together and play at their peak against the Cavs.

That's my premise. The Cavs have played extremely consistently through most of the season, while the other top teams have had some peaks and valleys. Their records reflect that. Unfortunately, their records won't matter in the playoffs because they'll both be at their peaks.

As for "Boston isn't even worth a thought," well... that's just silly.

I'll start at the end. Did I not say w/o KG. I think I did. BOS w/o KG is not an elite team.

They will all be at their peak in the playoffs. We agree there.

Not just equal ratio. Look at win/loss streaks, number of back to back losses, etc. CLE and LAL are about equal, but BOS and ORL have had a lot more valleys than either of those teams. Hell BOS has had a 4 game losing streak this season.

Each of those teams have had struggles against one playoff team or another. ORL, LAL, and BOS have not only been losing to bad teams. And when CLE has lost most of those games to those teams, how many were CLE playing w/ their full roster while the other teams had their full roster? It's apples and oranges.

No, you did not say without KG. Your exact words were this...

"I more worry CLE has mental lapses and gets into their heads against LAL and Magic (Celtics aren't even worth a thought. CLE took them to 7 w/o Mo even on the team). By pure skill of the roster, CLE is right there with LAL, and ORL is really still a step behind. "

No where in there does it say without KG, nor is there even an implicit reference to without KG. I believe they will have KG by the time we get to them, if we end up playing them.

Yes, the Celts, Magic and Lakers have all lost to playoff teams, as well as bad teams. But they haven't had 40% of their losses to the other top 3 teams in the NBA. They've been way more inconsistent than the Cavs. But their peak my be higher.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, so I guess we'll let this sit for a while.

It all depends on how we play when we play. I am really glad we lost two in a row. LBJ thought it was "embarresing" as did I and now I think they will play better. I think our chances in the playoffs would have been worse if we had went in undefeated. I really do. Now I just have to wait and hope I'm right.

Guest Masters
No, you did not say without KG. Your exact words were this...

"I more worry CLE has mental lapses and gets into their heads against LAL and Magic (Celtics aren't even worth a thought. CLE took them to 7 w/o Mo even on the team). By pure skill of the roster, CLE is right there with LAL, and ORL is really still a step behind. "

No where in there does it say without KG, nor is there even an implicit reference to without KG. I believe they will have KG by the time we get to them, if we end up playing them.

Yes, the Celts, Magic and Lakers have all lost to playoff teams, as well as bad teams. But they haven't had 40% of their losses to the other top 3 teams in the NBA. They've been way more inconsistent than the Cavs. But their peak my be higher.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, so I guess we'll let this sit for a while.

I guess you missed these two "Celtics aren't even worth a thought. CLE took them to 7 w/o Mo even on the team" and "Not to mention the Celts are not even going to peak w/ an unhealthy Garnett". The part about w/o KG was in the last sentence. While not saying literally w/o, it is implied, because an unhealthy KG is the same as w/o. BOS is also still the same team that went 7 last year w/ CLE, and needed a career game from Pierce to win. All w/ CLE playing w/o Mo and guys still finding their way in the CLE lineup. That lines up much better for CLE this year.

I just can't get on board with their peak being higher. Which night a team comes to the gym and doesn't give their best performance is purely random. While it is of interest that the Cavs have had those nights against he better teams, it isn't that telling to me. Maybe those other teams happened to have the Cavs circled and picked up their game more, while the Cavs just happened to have their off nights. In the end, the Cavs off nights have been better than those other teams, which is why they have beat the lesser teams during an off night, when ORL, LAL, and Celts didn't.

We'll have to see what really happnens in the playoffs. But w/ the Cavs set for home court in the east, ORL and BOS having to likely battle each other before facing the Cavs, it sets up well for CLE. In the west, the LAL will end up having to deal w/ DEN more than likely in the WCF. I personally won't write that off as a guarantee for the Lakers to even reach the finals. DEN is a lot better than people think.

It all depends on how we play when we play. I am really glad we lost two in a row. LBJ thought it was "embarresing" as did I and now I think they will play better. I think our chances in the playoffs would have been worse if we had went in undefeated. I really do. Now I just have to wait and hope I'm right.

Hopefully two in a row has been a wake up call for them.

My biggest worry is that when they are behind (and yes they have had some great comebacks) I see poor decision and shot selection. When they are down I hate seeing Lebron at the top of the arc trying to find a lane with 8 seconds left on the shot clock, and everyone else standing around. Please don't get me wrong when I say this. I love Lebron, and hope that his career finishes in Cleveland, but right now, at this point in time in his still very young career, he is not the best finisher in the league when it comes to creating space and creating a clear open shot. He's great. But he is no Jordan or shall I say Kobe when it comes to one on one opportunites.

IMO, with Lebron being 6'8", and as strong as he is, he needs to post up more and use that strong frame. Lebrons great, he can hit from outside, but if he could post up more and play down low more, possibly imagine what him and Z could generate together, they are both very smart players. I only worry because what happens in the playoffs if the 3 point well runs dry and we happen to be behind.

I'm not trying to start a Kobe vs Lebron thing or anything else.. just some observations is all.

Archived