THE BROWNS BOARD

More Quinn to Denver speculation

Cleveland Browns could still trade Brady Quinn

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Friday April 03, 2009, 4:59 PM

Associated Press

Just because Jay Cutler has been traded to the Bears doesn't mean Brady Quinn couldn't wind up in Denver.CLEVELAND -- Brady Quinn fans shouldn't relax just yet. The possibility of a trade to Denver still exists.

Kyle Orton, the quarterback the Broncos received in Thursday's trade of Jay Cutler to the Bears, is not the answer. Josh McDaniels, Denver's coach, has got to know that.

Neither is Chris Simms, whom the Broncos signed before this brouhaha with Cutler became a daily story.

As soon as the dust settled after the trade of Cutler to Chicago, the question became: So who's Denver's next quarterback?

Speculation in Denver and elsewhere is that the Broncos might use their two first-round draft picks -- No. 12 and No. 18 -- to move up high enough to select Mark Sanchez of Southern California. Seattle, sitting at No. 4, already is giving signals it suddenly loves Sanchez, perhaps to sway a deal with Denver.

The reality of the NFL is that nobody wants to be in the top five on draft day. And that includes Denver.

So there's Quinn, still not endorsed by the Browns as their starting quarterback as he enters his third season. And there's McDaniels in Denver, filled with positive feedback about Quinn from Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, whom McDaniels adores as an offensive football coach. If McDaniels can't trust Weis, then who can he trust?

Trading the No. 18 pick to the Browns for Quinn (who was taken 22nd in 2007) makes so much sense for the Broncos, I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. They get a young quarterback schooled in McDaniels' system whom the new coach can develop and appoint as the face of his team going forward. Denver also saves its No. 12 pick for much-needed defensive help.

The Browns then would own picks No. 5 and No. 18 and could use them accordingly to address their many needs.

This may be the Browns' best bailout of their quarterback quandary. If they can't decide on their starter now, they probably won't be able to decide after a camp competition.

At the recent NFL owners meetings, I asked coach Eric Mangini if he intended to toss a coin to decide which quarterback gets to start the first preseason game.

He didn't say no.

I was joking. He wasn't.

I was watching NFL Network this morning and they were discussing the Broncos QB situation (surprise). They mentioned that Quinn was NOT high on NE's draft board when he came out...and that they really doubted that Quinn was a player that McDaniel would really want.

Obviously this is all speculation, but an interesting twist to this whole thing.

I was watching NFL Network this morning and they were discussing the Broncos QB situation (surprise). They mentioned that Quinn was NOT high on NE's draft board when he came out...and that they really doubted that Quinn was a player that McDaniel would really want.

Obviously this is all speculation, but an interesting twist to this whole thing.

If you have Tom Brady why would you have a QB high on your draft board?

Let's see, as a life long Cleveland sports fan I could see this happening for sure. Quinn goes on to become one of the best franchise QB's for years and Denver has mad success, meanwhile the Browns will be on their 400th starting QB by the year 2020 and we'll be talking still about how we went with the Doofus from Scapoosus back circa 2010.

It all adds up. This may be the "woe is me" attitude Phillip kept talking about, but unfortunately Phillip made me the way I am going with Dexter last year.

I think we all know belichick does not draft great qbs but instead he makes mediocre to good qbs great by custom building the team and his system into and around his chosen qb and their backup...

Its going to be interesting to see how bq turns out rather its in brownstown or somewhere else...its going to be even more interesting to see what kind of failure of a qb this regime will replace bq and da with and then successfully package it and sell it to a fanbase thats as dumb as they come...ahhh yes i taste more disappointment in our near future lol ;)

Seriously does anyone trust manginis judgement on quarterbacks?

He cant be as bad as phats was but his history with qbs indicates they are not the kind of qbs that win playoff games or his system sucks or both..

Let's see, as a life long Cleveland sports fan I could see this happening for sure. Quinn goes on to become one of the best franchise QB's for years and Denver has mad success, meanwhile the Browns will be on their 400th starting QB by the year 2020 and we'll be talking still about how we went with the Doofus from Scapoosus back circa 2010.

It all adds up. This may be the "woe is me" attitude Phillip kept talking about, but unfortunately Phillip made me the way I am going with Dexter last year.

Alas I am pretty much resigned to this as well....UGH

I think many of us see this as gospel riff...its just the way it has to be...lol

On the otherhand if bq stays with the lack of targets we have he may be drummed out of town by next year bqs success is conditional...hehehehehe

Sadly enough if DA goes to detroit he will exceed cutler and break all of detroits records if he stays here he is the same dexter he has always been...lol

What's funny about this whole "throw mud against the wall and see what sticks" media speculation is that while in NE McDaniel was mostly a defensive coach and Dabol was a offensive coach. Weis had more to do with Dabol then he had to do with McDaniel.

I love how the media can see how 2 + 2 = 5.

And don't forget, we'll still have Lummy saying DA deserves another shot from his one probowl year 10 years from now when he's still on the roter as a backup and passes Farve as the all time leader in interceptions with limited playing time.

No, Quinn engineers the 'Drive II' and goes on to win multiple Superbowls, always beating us out and keeping us just shy of winning the big one.

THAT is worst case scenario.

Yeah, I liked Mangini at the time, but boy DID I want Marty.

Quinn was all over the place with scouts and ratings. That year TSN had Quinn rated a 3rd round talent.

That might be a stretch, but it does show some scouts didn't feel he was all that great a prospect.

I am sure there were several teams who had Quinn rated as a 2nd round talent....and that probably isn't stretching matters.

I guess the bottom line is BQ wasn't a slam dunk choice around the league.

Peen, had we not come in and scooped up Quinn he would not of made it out of the first round. You can bank on that.

Every mock I had seen leading up to that draft had Quinn going in the top ten, not sure where this 2nd round bullshit came from, but if you got a source I'd love to read it.

Not sure i can find it as it was the write up in the draft guide....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=1888536

And what about Brady Quinn?

Brady Quinn is this year's Matt Leinart. He'll probably come out of the draft process with the same view Leinart expressed last June. "These (scouts) look to drag you down," Leinart said with disgust. Quinn has gone through a similar dissection the past few months.

Unlike Russell, Quinn doesn't have much room for growth. So he doesn't excite anyone, much like Leinart, who slipped to Arizona at No. 10 last April. "Quinn is a solid player and you know what you are getting, and there is something to be said for that," says Scot McCloughan, 49ers vice president of player personnel.

Quinn has been groomed for much of his life to play quarterback in the NFL. He comes from a complex offense at Notre Dame, he has impressive work habits, his mechanics are flawless, and he is tough. And NFL folks aren't as hung up as you might expect on the "Can he win big games?" question attached to his resume. But sometimes he is inexplicably inaccurate, and he'll have to prove he can make consistently good decisions under pressure. At best, he is a second-level pro quarterback, below the Peyton Mannings and Carson Palmers.

This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html

This one gets a little closer, but you have to pay to read on, but it paints the picture...calls Quinn the biggest fraud in the draft.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1235265901.html

I link this blog to at least show I am not just fabricating stories about what I read on Quinn. I hope i have at least dispelled any thinking in that regard....

http://chff.blogspot.com/2007/02/brady-quinn-bust.html

Found it....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=176563

According to a Pittsburgh paper (cant remember which) it said there was a straight up trade, Cutler for Quinn, but Cutler nixed it. I cant see Cutler calling the shots on this type of trade. Maybe the paper was just poking at Cleveland. Did anyone hear this too?

According to a Pittsburgh paper (cant remember which) it said there was a straight up trade, Cutler for Quinn, but Cutler nixed it. I cant see Cutler calling the shots on this type of trade. Maybe the paper was just poking at Cleveland. Did anyone hear this too?

Honestly, we've read so much it's hard to keep track of all of it.

I'll bet we read 20 different versions and possibilites to this trade. Maybe more than that. It's mind boggling and I think most posters on here just want it to die a quick death.

Very well. Although most mainstream media still had Quinn going in the top ten, if that wasn't the case then it would of been no big deal when he plummeted out of the top ten.

I knew there was some knocks on his accuracy but I didn't know they were tearing him apart like that. Thanks for the links Peen, I appreciate it.

No problem man. On this issue I really don't take a position as all I care about is having the best team possible. I don't care who plays.......just win as the saying goes.

...This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html...

Holy cow, who? Kolb? Beck? I had to Google those guys. 1 TD and 7 INT's between them so far in the NFL.

Remind me not to go to that site for this year's draft. ;)

I will say Jamarcus had a better 2008 than I recalled. He still looks too dear-in-the-headlights for me to believe he'll pan out. He'll need a super star (Moss or Fitzgerald) type of WR to make him look good, IMHO.

I know you guys don't give a sh-t, but if we trade Quinn before week 6 of this season, I'm done with the Browns, FOR REAL.

Mangini and Lerner will go down in history as the reason the Browns left Cleveland PERMANENTLY if Quinn EVER has success ANYWHERE ELSE.

Not sure i can find it as it was the write up in the draft guide....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=1888536

And what about Brady Quinn?

Brady Quinn is this year's Matt Leinart. He'll probably come out of the draft process with the same view Leinart expressed last June. "These (scouts) look to drag you down," Leinart said with disgust. Quinn has gone through a similar dissection the past few months.

Unlike Russell, Quinn doesn't have much room for growth. So he doesn't excite anyone, much like Leinart, who slipped to Arizona at No. 10 last April. "Quinn is a solid player and you know what you are getting, and there is something to be said for that," says Scot McCloughan, 49ers vice president of player personnel.

Quinn has been groomed for much of his life to play quarterback in the NFL. He comes from a complex offense at Notre Dame, he has impressive work habits, his mechanics are flawless, and he is tough. And NFL folks aren't as hung up as you might expect on the "Can he win big games?" question attached to his resume. But sometimes he is inexplicably inaccurate, and he'll have to prove he can make consistently good decisions under pressure. At best, he is a second-level pro quarterback, below the Peyton Mannings and Carson Palmers.

This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html

This one gets a little closer, but you have to pay to read on, but it paints the picture...calls Quinn the biggest fraud in the draft.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1235265901.html

I link this blog to at least show I am not just fabricating stories about what I read on Quinn. I hope i have at least dispelled any thinking in that regard....

http://chff.blogspot.com/2007/02/brady-quinn-bust.html

Found it....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=176563

Thanks for the links peen...we got to see bq in 2 and a part of a third game and he most certainly looked for real to me he looked really poised for a guy straight off the bench with 20 or so snaps with an already ailing first team..

A lot of people and writers do not like bq for various reasons but ive watched bq play with ND for almost 4 years i rarely missed a game and i have seen the kid do some amazing stuff including some insane bombs i considered him pro ready 2 years before he was drafted...his lack of accuracy on the long ball is more of a running for your life while still getting a fairly well thrown ball down field thing...a lot of his so called inaccuracy was on the run in heavy pressure and from odd throwing positions it ussually worked out better then a sack..;)

ND didnt and still doesnt have a good o-line bq always reminded me of john elway somehow finding ways to get it done with a bad line and mediocre recievers..this kid can play ball its just a matter of when and for who he plays for and then all will know he can play at the nfl level..;)

As for being inexplicably inaccurate at times yes at times like any other qb his throwing in some games would leave you saying to yourself...what the hell was that?

Holy cow, who? Kolb? Beck? I had to Google those guys. 1 TD and 7 INT's between them so far in the NFL.

Remind me not to go to that site for this year's draft. ;)

I will say Jamarcus had a better 2008 than I recalled. He still looks too dear-in-the-headlights for me to believe he'll pan out. He'll need a super star (Moss or Fitzgerald) type of WR to make him look good, IMHO.

It isn't the site so much.....The Sporting News said he would be a first round pick...just with some warnings.

This just goes back to what we were discussing early on...that there were opinions all over the board with Brady...some teams and scouts thought he was pretty good....others not so good..

So, where does that leave Mangini?? In the end it is going to be his opinion that counts...

As to the guy who said he was done with the Browns if BQ didn't start 6-8 games....you must have been one of the fans to come over when Brady was drafted.

That's cool. Everybody starts liking their team for one reason or another....nobody is born a fan of a certain team or sport and everybody in the juvenile stages of being a fan usually latch on to a player as the reason they become a fan...You have entire eras who latched on to Otto...another Jim Brown, Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar, etc. ....or even a coach...Paul Brown, Blanton, Sam.....I was Dante Lavelli while playing the childrens sandlots.

This newest era of fan has become frustrated because the only people they could latch on to have largely been an assembly of bums. I hope Quinn, or Anderson, or Thomas....someone steps forward to be that person because young fans need that before they can get over the rooting for individual players and more or less just be fans of the team.

*When i say young fan...I am talking about a stage of being a fan...the age or maturity of the person isn't a factor. It can be a 7 year old or a 40 year old.

The one thing I've learned from all these threads are that MOST of the media & a scary number of scouts are pretty darned inaccurate! Look at the 3 guys they had ahead of Quinn??? Seems like there are more they call wrong than right.

In the case of the northeast Ohio media, it may well be "sour grapes". They aren't getting info fed to them by "inside sources" from this regime.

As far as the inaccuracy thing for Quinn, ANY athlete in ANY sport will have those times when their "off", usually in the fundamentals & it affects their game.

As for me, I'm sticking with Brady. The young man showed me a crispness in decision making & movement that I really like. He shows confidence rather than being tentative. Add to all that his size, mobility, & quick release....What's NOT to like? That he called "big mouth" out?....That's ANOTHER plus IMHO.

Obviously, I don't buy into all the media "stuff", so I'll use my favorite 2 words to predict our future QB ....."We'll see".

Mike

The one thing I've learned from all these threads are that MOST of the media & a scary number of scouts are pretty darned inaccurate!

I agree.

As far as the media, the days of reporting news is long gone. It is now an op-ed based medium, so with that, you get a lot of "stuff" being passed along.

As to scouts and scouting....it is why i have said for a long time you would probably do as well simply throwing darts to select players.

For the most part teams/scouts do a good job of getting players in to the correct tier, but after that, plain old luck come in to play.

It is sort of like you being given 30 keys to a car but only being allowed to use one of them to try to start the car.

Quinn was all over the place with scouts and ratings. That year TSN had Quinn rated a 3rd round talent.

That might be a stretch, but it does show some scouts didn't feel he was all that great a prospect.

I am sure there were several teams who had Quinn rated as a 2nd round talent....and that probably isn't stretching matters.

I guess the bottom line is BQ wasn't a slam dunk choice around the league.

Maybe not, but Layne Kiffin has publically stated that he wanted Quinn #1 overall, not JaMarcus Russell, who Al Davis forced him to pick.

Maybe not, but Layne Kiffin has publically stated that he wanted Quinn #1 overall, not JaMarcus Russell, who Al Davis forced him to pick.

Thanks for that info Samoth! makes perfect sense.

It would be tough for ANY of the USC coaches to forget that Quinn actually led a vastly undermanned ND team to go ahead points the LAST time ND's offense touched the ball in Quinn's junior year. What more can you ask of your QB against the #1 ranked team in the country?

The ONLY difference in that game and USC's game vrs Texas was that Texas scored as time expired while USC scored as time expired vrs ND.

Since we gave up a first round pick and another pick to GET Quinn, it sure would have been nice to see our organization putting a spinal column into that decision. We're in transition so what is the HARM of seeing what we got in Quinn? We've seen 26 auditions of DA and they aren't improving. Let's stop pretending we're sitting Quinn for Brett Favre here.

- Tom F.

Like I said...the opinions were all over the board.

Good old Layne.....he also said Meyer was a cheater when he wasn't, and all the while, he was in violation of the rules.

That has nothing to do with any of this, but you brought him up and it sent me off in another direction.

9-19-09. I am looking forward to that.

If Flugs and Dency need me to drive up to Knoxville to teach them how to do the Gator Chop, or teach them to sing "We are the Boys", it can be worked out.

:D

Like I said...the opinions were all over the board.

Good old Layne.....he also said Meyer was a cheater when he wasn't, and all the while, he was in violation of the rules.

That has nothing to do with any of this, but you brought him up and it sent me off in another direction.

9-19-09. I am looking forward to that.

If Flugs and Dency need me to drive up to Knoxville to teach them how to do the Gator Chop, or teach them to sing "We are the Boys", it can be worked out.

:D

LOL! I wouldn't bet against you on the chop or the song.

That's a VERY good point about Kiffen's lack of accuracy with his accusations. There's ALOT of people in Middle Tennessee that aren't digging his act just yet. Sports radio got REALLY entertaining when all that was going down. The LAST guy I'd want to rub the wrong way if I'm a NEW SEC coach is Urban Meyer. You're better off going the Ole Miss route and flying under the radar if you want to sneak up on Florida.

- Tom F.

Sorry....after i wrote that I remembered you are in Nashville.

Actually, that works out...the three of us can meet up in the middle....say Cookeville or Crossville....both are nice towns with some decent eating options.

Archived