THE BROWNS BOARD

Disappointment?

Westside Steve

If you want to stay positive then don't read ESPN, Bleacher Report or any other sports site. Everything is negative. Some of the articles claim that Brown and De Podesta were no where to be found and were wondering if the Front Office was aware that Free Agency has started. It's this kind of negativity that's written about the Browns organization that scares players away!

I know they have a track record that speaks for itself. But I still have hope. On draft day I will be watching.

Well, they said the same thing about the moves Depo made with the Oakland As. All that team did was make the playoffs.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't get where some of you are coming from, or I was watching a completely different team last year. That "dominant line" we just let go got our QB's destroyed for years (3 QB's what, three years in a row?). I actually did think Mitchell was turning a corner, but we didn't let a future Hall of Famer walk out the door. Mack didn't want to be here for a long time, that ship sailed years ago.

Travis Benjamin? Speedy dude, good returner yes. But consider the first six games of the season accounted for 4 of his 5 TD's and about half his yards. People realized his ploy and he slowed down a lot. Small, fast dudes are available in the draft too.

Gipson was gone last year when he felt disrespected by the tender (which by the way no one even nibbled at for a 2nd rounder) and played okay this year. I actually liked what I saw from Poyer last year.

What I'm saying is let's cool the jets a little bit. I think it's overtly obvious that this crew saw this team for what it was, a total shit show. I happened to watch a team that was a total shit show this time five years ago. They took a QB people thought was overrated and slowly began to build through the draft. They might have lost in the Super Bowl, but five years later that Panthers team was winning 15 games. They let guys like Peppers go in order to get better. It sucks because it means we are stating, objectively, that the team is a ways from playing at a high level. Honestly, it's refreshing to me that it's being noted this way. It might very well mean we ship Joe Thomas away, but that's what teams have done before they get better.

I hate the idea of it all but we gotta give these guys a chance to draft and build from literally nothing.

Sure JRB that can all happen.

We shitcanned a few players that can play, and if we can pick up some other guys that can play at least equally to them no problem. And sure there's always the draft. How many guys do you suppose you draft in a year that can start right off the bat? And how many of those are above-average?

And hey I do love that Five-Year Plan. I love it so much because we seem to have three of them every 5 years.

And to be honest how much worse could it be? 2 + 14, 1 + 15 or 0 for 16.

WSS

We went 3-13 with them.....we can go 3-13 without them.

Or 0-16. we shall see. Five year plan? It seems like Haslam is on yet another two year plan. That's been the one consistent thing since he got here.

I am getting tired of the no progress. We need some sparkles or something. We bombed at retaining players. Bombed at first few days at FA. Was there a press conference?

No press conference.......the guy who normally puts the chairs out got a better offer elsewhere

Sure JRB that can all happen.

We shitcanned a few players that can play, and if we can pick up some other guys that can play at least equally to them no problem. And sure there's always the draft. How many guys do you suppose you draft in a year that can start right off the bat? And how many of those are above-average?

And hey I do love that Five-Year Plan. I love it so much because we seem to have three of them every 5 years.

And to be honest how much worse could it be? 2 + 14, 1 + 15 or 0 for 16.

WSS

Honestly, the way to get good in the NFL has been as straight forward as it gets for years and years. When a team blows, it's all about two things;

1) drafting the core of your team (and specifically, QB and dominant D line)

2) getting value FA's to fill holes (value being a relative term, not literally a $$ amount)

If you look at this formula, it's the way every team who has climbed the ladder has gotten to elite. It's also why the teams who always spend high in FA don't turn into Super Bowl contenders with rare exceptions. The problem is, the Browns and the powers that be have sucked ass in following that formula and almost always take the wrong players. It's not the formula that's broken, it's the one trying to solve it. I'm not making excuses for the FO, but they deserve a chance just like all the other ones did to try to get it right. The way I see it, the Browns are about as low as it gets on the rebuild cycle. Losing decent but not incredible football players is just what awful football teams do, and it's what the Browns did.

I'm shellshocked, but not disappointed.

I mean, if ya think about it, the Browns are going to kick ass next year.

They will draft all defense, and have a defense so great, all they need to

do is have the special teams return a kick far enough, and kick a field goal.

They win 3-0. Joe Thomas on the special teams line is the key.

They won't need an offense. Brilliant. Harvard ...rocks. "cough"

The excuse-making for the FO is lame.

Excuse making? There is no excuse making in this thread. There are those that are capable of seeing the extenuating circumstances and those that merely want to bitch and moan. Obviously you're in the bitch and moan camp. Congrats.

I am getting tired of the no progress. We need some sparkles or something. We bombed at retaining players. Bombed at first few days at FA. Was there a press conference?

Sparkles? Really? I would say go to your local strip club for that but I'm sure the whole woman aspect of it wouldn't be up your alley, figuratively and literally.

Excuse making? There is no excuse making in this thread. There are those that are capable of seeing the extenuating circumstances and those that merely want to bitch and moan. Obviously you're in the bitch and moan camp. Congrats.

You're in the "convince yourself everything happening is ok" camp. Congrats.

Let's quit blaming the new FO & Hue for shit they did not create.. For 20 years winning more football games is the answer. With a tore up, broke down or totally vacant FO has cost us our own drafted grown talent. Start locking them up early than we can rebuild with draft.. Go Browns!!

Yes, if we were already extremely bad and lost some of the only good players we have that makes us even worse. You're username is very fitting.

I guess you don't know what rebuilds look like. Or you have a hearing issue and need to consult a doctor. The front office has been pretty open about how they are looking to turn the team around. Unfortunately, the team has stunk forever and needs a hard reset. They will build through the draft.

Don't be shocked if they trade Joe Thomas off on draft day to fetch extra picks. They tried to do it near the trade deadline last year.

I guess you don't know what rebuilds look like. Or you have a hearing issue and need to consult a doctor. The front office has been pretty open about how they are looking to turn the team around. Unfortunately, the team has stunk forever and needs a hard reset. They will build through the draft.

Don't be shocked if they trade Joe Thomas off on draft day to fetch extra picks. They tried to do it near the trade deadline last year.

Different they, mostly. But yes, it would not shock me. In fact he seems to stick out like a sore thumb as an elite player on a team lacking even good players.

Send this to the hospital for our newly drafted QB when he gets creamed for the 8th time in his last game of the season. I'm sure "extenuating circumstances" will bring him great comfort.

To be fair, they were getting creamed before. Ask the least of three QBs that seem to have to play every season.

Fair enough, but you ain't seen nothin' yet. Unless we see some major FA acquisitions in the OL, it will be utter chaos. I pretty much agree with Daniel Jeremiah who basically said that with these 3 offensive starter losses, the Browns are going to ruin a rookie QB. My only proviso is they have a chance not to do that with some FA help. Rookies are not going to fix it.

Fair enough, but you ain't seen nothin' yet. Unless we see some major FA acquisitions in the OL, it will be utter chaos. I pretty much agree with Daniel Jeremiah who basically said that with these 3 offensive starter losses, the Browns are going to ruin a rookie QB. My only proviso is they have a chance not to do that with some FA help. Rookies are not going to fix it.

I think between the draft and some FA, they will fill roster holes. I think that is their ultimate goal. It will look like shit for two years. Grandpa McCown will probably take a beating but he and the rookie were likely going to take beatings anyway.

Just have to convince other teams that Kruger has some sort of applicable skill off of the field that is worth trading for. His on the field acumen won't sell him. Does he juggle or give good natured fatherly advice?

He was a lot better playing a different style 2 years ago so...

WSS

Archived