THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns should send manslaughter-charged Stallworth packing

Mr. T

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Browns release Stallworth?

• YES
    • NO

Posted by The editors April 05, 2009 04:15AM

Categories: Editorial

The news that Browns receiver Dont Stallworth had already done time in the NFL's substance-abuse program before he drove his Bentley over a pedestrian last month, allegedly while in an impaired state, should seal the deal.

Instead of issuing press releases that tut-tut Stallworth and withhold further comment until the NFL finishes reviewing the matter, Browns owner Randy Lerner should sack Stallworth without further ado.

The team has enough problems. It doesn't need the distraction of a mediocre receiver fighting DUI manslaughter charges.

Which brings up another issue: Stallworth was out celebrating a $4.5 million bonus before the accident. Given what we've seen of him, the Browns clearly overpaid -- by a lot.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdopinion/2009/0...uld_send_m.html

Im sorry, I know Im going to be in the minority here, but I dont think stallworth should be cut, or go to jail.

Even if Donte was sober he wouldnt have been able to avoid hitting the guy.

If you saw the scene of the accident, you would know that Donte had nowhere to go, he was basically on a fricken barricaded freeway. He was in the far left lane (the fast lane) and the pedestrian was walking from right to leftinto stallworths lane, if Donte swerved right, he would have hit the guy dead on, if he swerved left (which he did), he partially hits the guy AND the barricade, if he hits the breaks, he still hits the guy because the speed limit was 55mph (he was going 65), and breaking between either speed is going to result in taking time to slow down, time Donte and the pedestrian did not have. Dont wflashed warning lights, the guy continued (on a fricken freeway!) to walk in front of his car. I dont think the alcohol even played a role in this situation, it just happened to be a terrible coincidence that will probably lead to the end of Donte's carreer. He is a good guy, and really diddnt deserve this. I truely do believe it was the pedestrians fault.

i-395_fl_wt_07.jpg

Oh yeah, heres the causeway, someone posted it in the other thread

Guest Masters

And w/ the money CLE has payed Donte, you'd think he could afford a cab ride or private car ride. Dude messed up and he'll have to pay the price, what ever it is.

Donte was drinking and driving, his reaction time had to be slowed down. I am sure he has played this over in his mind a million times. But you want play, you're going to pay. The problem in society anymore is we want to live our life in a no fault zone. Everyone has an excuse and dosn't want to take on responsibility for their own actions.

It was Bad Character. He will be known for the dui manslaughter first before anyone recognizes his athletic ability.

I firmly believe it was the alcohol in his system that's gonna bust him. If he was driving to practice or to work out and hit a guy crossing that causeway with no alcohol involved, it would have been the pedestrians fault.

When you make a bad decision to stay up all night and drink then drive... Your gonna pay for it.

Im sorry, I know Im going to be in the minority here, but I dont think stallworth should be cut, or go to jail.

If you saw the scene of the accident, you would know that Donte had nowhere to go, he was basically on a fricken barricaded freeway. He was in the far left lane (the fast lane) and the pedestrian was walking from right to leftinto stallworths lane, if Donte swerved right, he would have hit the guy dead on, if he swerved left (which he did), he partially hits the guy AND the barricade, if he hits the breaks, he still hits the guy because the speed limit was 55mph (he was going 65), and breaking between either speed is going to result in taking time to slow down, time Donte and the pedestrian did not have. Dont wflashed warning lights, the guy continued (on a fricken freeway!) to walk in front of his car. I dont think the alcohol even played a role in this situation, it just happened to be a terrible coincidence that will probably lead to the end of Donte's carreer. He is a good guy, and really diddnt deserve this. I truely do believe it was the pedestrians fault.

i-395_fl_wt_07.jpg

He had no where to go....... and... well maybe he should of been in a cab or hired a limo.

He's Rich Bitch!

its unfortunate....had their been no booze, he'd have been cleared as the pedestrian was jaywalking.....which is breaking the law. funny how it all falls on his shoulders since he had a couple drinks.

alcohol and cars should be illegal...independently of each other. its the only way to be sure people dont die in a car accident.

I imagine Dan will complain that cars are too easy to buy...

but Stallworth admitted he saw the guy at a distance, and "flashed his lights" ???

How does anybody know he was going 65?

He's been in trouble before a few years ago?

And DWI now? Ditch him, and with a morals clause in the contract, assuming there is...

get the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ back.

There isn't any way he doesn't go to jail if found guilty, imho.

He played poker with his career, and lost everthing. It's sad, and terribly traumatic for the man's family.

I imagine Dan will complain that cars are too easy to buy...

but Stallworth admitted he saw the guy at a distance, and "flashed his lights" ???

Not trying to Defend Dante here... But seeing that picture of the causeway, I can see how one might think like Dante.

I'm driving 50 - 60 Mph. Left hand lane. I see a guy crossing the causeway long before he gets to my lane. I start flashing my lights and horn thinking to myself that this guy is gonna look before he crosses that medium and has to see me coming. Then the guy does the unthinkable, juts out in front. I mean I can clearly see DS's actions. I would be thinking, "This guy is not going to cross in front of me" but he does...

The reports do not give us a time frame of "flashing Lights" before the "hit" was made. Dante could have been 300 yards away from the guy when he was flashing the lights and was just thinking, this guy won't do it.

I mean how many of us have been on a street, and there is that guy, standing between both lanes of traffic trying to cross. As drivers we are watching and driving defensively but if that guy decides, for whatever reason, to go for it. I don't care how sober you are, you won't be expecting it.

The sad thing is, regardless of what has happened, Dante was drinking. Your guilty man.

Burress Ruling Could Help Stallworth

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2009, 12:49 p.m.

The day before Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth’s Bentley collided with Mario Reyes in Miami Beach, Stallworth earned a $4.875 million roster bonus.

But we’re told that the check isn’t actually due to be paid until May 2009.

Some league observers assume that the Browns will stiff Stallworth. But the hot-off-the-presses Plaxico Burress grievance stands for the proposition that forfeiture language is enforceable only if the player holds out or retires.

Though there’s an open question as to whether the forfeiture language also applies to a guy who doesn’t show up because he’s in jail, it would seem to be fairly easy to delay the ultimate prosecution of Stallworth until after the 2009 football season ends.

And given that the signing bonus forfeiture language applies only to signing bonuses and not to roster bonuses and given that Stallworth was on the roster the day the payment came due, it suddenly got even harder for the Browns to justify stiffing Stallworth based on the same reasoning that supports a forfeiture of previously-paid signing bonus money.

That said, the Browns might very well decide to hold the money, since it will be much easier to get the money back if they’ve never given it to Stallworth, in the event that the Browns prevail in the eventual legal fight.

But we think that players need to have greater rights when it comes to the intentional withholding of wages. As far as we can tell, there’s currently no downside for the teams. If they lose the grievance, they simply pay the money that would have been paid out in the first place.

So we think the union should push for some meaningful penalties – something more than interest and counsel fees — where teams wrongfully keep in their pockets money that rightfully should be paid to the players.

Something does not make sense. It was what? 7 am when he hit Reyes? 7 am? come on now, if he was drinking all night his number would have been greatly higher than 1.2. This smells of sleeping and waking up drunk and not realizing he was drunk rather than just being tired and hungover.

Something does not make sense. It was what? 7 am when he hit Reyes? 7 am? come on now, if he was drinking all night his number would have been greatly higher than 1.2. This smells of sleeping and waking up drunk and not realizing he was drunk rather than just being tired and hungover.

Cocaine.

i-395_fl_wt_07.jpg

I see 5 lanes

can't go anywhere??

Yes the browns need to get rid of him if it were the first or even second time he has had trouble i would say keep him but he killed a man this time and he knew better then to drive while drinking he violated the nfl substance abuse program as well..i wouldnt wish this on any dawg and he is likely a good guy that majorly screwed up maybe he will learn from this tragic mistake...

Ok lets over look the manslaughter charge for a sec. He played in how many games , caught how many passes for how many yards? He is useless. Lets relase him for that then.

Agreed there. By his performance alone he shouldn't be here.

BUT

I do feel bad for Stallworth in this case.

If he didn't have a drop of alcohol in his system he would have gotten off scott free because the pedestrian was at fault for running across a FREAKIN HIGHWAY, and he did it EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE for how many years? Should the cops have not popped this guy for jaywalking at some point? Around here the cops arrest you for just walking on the shoulder of a highway.

I don't know if it was bad judgment from the lingering alcohol in his system or Mr Reyes thought "Well that looks like a nice car, bet I can sue the shit out of him when he slows down and nudges me" and guess who never did? But truth be told we weren't there and didn't know what through either one's head at the time.

Really, how many of us here would be outraged if DS were 100% sober at the time and got jail time for hitting a jaywalker on a highway?

Just imagine, you just woke up, got in the car, started driving to work and are still a little sluggish because last night you were out a little late celebrating a promotion and a big pay increase, you don't feel drunk and you think you're ok. You're driving down the highway and someone just runs out in front of you. You've driven this strip how many times in you life and you just assume no one in their right mind is going to run into a 4 lane or more highway with oncoming traffic. You mow the guy down if you don't slow down or still seriously injure him if you hit the breaks and now you're going to go to jail over it. How does that make you feel?

Fine him, suspend his license, but don't send the guy to jail.

Now if he had been hammered, swerving all over the place and hit the guy on the side of the road (not on it) or hit him at a crosswalk then yes, throw the book at him, he deserves it then.

Agreed there. By his performance alone he shouldn't be here.

BUT

I do feel bad for Stallworth in this case.

If he didn't have a drop of alcohol in his system he would have gotten off scott free because the pedestrian was at fault for running across a FREAKIN HIGHWAY, and he did it EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE for how many years? Should the cops have not popped this guy for jaywalking at some point? Around here the cops arrest you for just walking on the shoulder of a highway.

I don't know if it was bad judgment from the lingering alcohol in his system or Mr Reyes thought "Well that looks like a nice car, bet I can sue the shit out of him when he slows down and nudges me" and guess who never did? But truth be told we weren't there and didn't know what through either one's head at the time.

Really, how many of us here would be outraged if DS were 100% sober at the time and got jail time for hitting a jaywalker on a highway?

Just imagine, you just woke up, got in the car, started driving to work and are still a little sluggish because last night you were out a little late celebrating a promotion and a big pay increase, you don't feel drunk and you think you're ok. You're driving down the highway and someone just runs out in front of you. You've driven this strip how many times in you life and you just assume no one in their right mind is going to run into a 4 lane or more highway with oncoming traffic. You mow the guy down if you don't slow down or still seriously injure him if you hit the breaks and now you're going to go to jail over it. How does that make you feel?

Fine him, suspend his license, but don't send the guy to jail.

Now if he had been hammered, swerving all over the place and hit the guy on the side of the road (not on it) or hit him at a crosswalk then yes, throw the book at him, he deserves it then.

Nice to see a bastion of humanity Tobes.

This is a terrible thing.

I really dont think Stallworth is a murder or even a douche bag. I really dont want the media to spin it that way but as I said he was a complete waste for us. How can we relase a player like Joe J who wanted to take a steep pay cut. Something is really wrong here.

Stallworth has been a horrible pick-up for us, why were we able to land him? I assume because not to many teams wanted his attitude. Not only that he had a great game against the Browns in 07.

Stallworth has the potential to come back and win the favor of the fans back. Not to many will be able to forgive him for the dui manslaughter charge though.

I really dont think he will be able to beat this rap, there is to much at stake, as far as dui laws are at the present time.

For one I wouldn't of resigned him, just on his lack of performance from last season.

Who knows what the future is for Stallworth, maybe if he does get acquitted he will have a spectacular year and lead us to the promised land. Sometimes it takes a major bump in a mans life to get him to realize that he is going down the wrong path. I wish him and his family the best and if he remains a Cleveland Brown I wish that he will have a career year and break many records. + he scores 5 touchdowns against the steelers in both games.

I wish for a lot I know. :)

Once again, While I'm thinking "this moron can't be stupid enough to cross in front of me", I'M STILL BREAKING INCASE HE DOES, even as I am honking the horn and flashing my lights. Yet I've never read Donte's version that way, it's just "I flashed my lights at him". To me that shows a small part of negligence on Donte's part, which again is enough for me to have him suspended for the league for a while and making him earn his right to play again.

I totally agree... Regardless how I or anyone try to come up with any hope for Donte, he's screwed.

Funny thing is this morning, driving through downtown Akron, I'm on South Broadway headed towards Exchange. I'm stopped at the intersection of Broadway and Cedar due to a red light. This lady in this Kia, totally blows the red light, and hits a Metro Bus as it was making a left hand turn. I have no idea what she was thinking this morning. She had to be going 30-35 mph when she hit. The bus barley rocked on it's wheels.

Archived