THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns 2009 Draft Preview

Mr. T

Monday, April 06, 2009

Cleveland Browns 2009 Draft Preview

By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

(Sports Network) - The Browns are a mess. Their best defensive player, tackle Shaun Rogers, has been at odds with new head coach Eric Mangini. One of their top offensive weapons, wideout Braylon Edwards, has reportedly been on the trading block, with his contract about to run out after 2009. But Cleveland probably can't afford to address either position via the Draft, since the team only has five picks and has a host of other needs. The Browns didn't rush the passer well in 2008 and the cornerback slot was a complete revolving door due to injuries. Another backfield option is needed with starter Jamal Lewis in decline, and a pass-catching tight end following the trade of Kellen Winslow would make some sense as well. With all of those needs, you can pretty much forget Cleveland selecting a quarterback anywhere in this Draft, even though the team's new braintrust of coach Eric Mangini and GM George Kokinis are apparently not enamored of Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson.

2008 Record: 4-12

First Pick: No. 5

Number of Selections: 5 (1, 2, 2, 4, 6)

RECENT FIRST ROUND HISTORY: 2008 - none; 2007 - Joe Thomas (T, Wisconsin), Brady Quinn (QB, Notre Dame); 2006 - Kamerion Wimbley (OLB, Florida State); 2005 - Braylon Edwards (WR, Michigan); 2004 - Kellen Winslow (TE, Miami- Florida); 2003 - Jeff Faine (C, Notre Dame); 2002 - William Green (RB, Boston College); 2001 - Gerard Warren (DT, Florida); 2000 - Courtney Brown (DE, Penn State); 1999 - Tim Couch (QB, Kentucky); 1995 - Craig Powell (LB, Ohio State); 1994 - Antonio Langham (CB, Alabama), Derrick Alexander (WR, Michigan); 1993 - Steve Everitt (C, Michigan); 1992 - Tommy Vardell (FB, Stanford); 1991 - Eric Turner (S, UCLA); 1990 - none.

And just when I was feeling good about our chances, some dipshit has to rub our noses in the dirt.

Number of Selections: 5 (1, 2, 2, 4, 6)

RECENT FIRST ROUND HISTORY: 2008 - none;

2007 - Joe Thomas (T, Wisconsin), - So far so good

Brady Quinn (QB, Notre Dame); - TIME WILL TELL

2006 - Kamerion Wimbley (OLB, Florida State); TIME WILL TELL

2005 - Braylon Edwards (WR, Michigan); TIME WILL TELL

2004 - Kellen Winslow (TE, Miami- Florida); GONE

2003 - Jeff Faine (C, Notre Dame); BUST

2002 - William Green (RB, Boston College); BUST

2001 - Gerard Warren (DT, Florida); BUST

2000 - Courtney Brown (DE, Penn State); BUST

1999 - Tim Couch (QB, Kentucky); BUST

And just when I was feeling good about our chances, some dipshit has to rub our noses in the dirt.

What a mess of picks... That's embarrassing. Hardly anything to show for it..

I think by the time trades are done with, were gonna have 2 (maybe 3 if we trade edwards and trade down) 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, 3 third round picks and give or take a few low round choices

Im pretty sure we will off Derek for a 2nd, then trade down or trade edwards, or as I said, do both

I think we can snag all the people on my board here....

Michael Crabtree WR

Rey Maualuga ILB

William Moore SS

Rashad Jennings RB

Connor Barwin OLB

Frantz Joseph ILB

Jarett Dillard WR

Rylan Reed OT (UDFA)

(Sports Network) - The Browns are a mess. Their best defensive player, tackle Shaun Rogers, has been at odds with new head coach Eric Mangini. One of their top offensive weapons, wideout Braylon Edwards, has reportedly been on the trading block, with his contract about to run out after 2009. But Cleveland probably can't afford to address either position via the Draft, since the team only has five picks and has a host of other needs. The Browns didn't rush the passer well in 2008 and the cornerback slot was a complete revolving door due to injuries. Another backfield option is needed with starter Jamal Lewis in decline, and a pass-catching tight end following the trade of Kellen Winslow would make some sense as well. With all of those needs, you can pretty much forget Cleveland selecting a quarterback anywhere in this Draft, even though the team's new braintrust of coach Eric Mangini and GM George Kokinis are apparently not enamored of Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson.

This is probably the shittiest draft "preview" I have ever read in my entire life.

Kudos, Tony Moss!

Lol i remember no touchdown tommy..anyone remember a real super bust named mike junkin?

I recall this guy being a walking injury and nothing else...hehehehe

Yup mangini needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat and that rabbit is named Curry...;)

Actually, I thought Vardell was a pretty good player. He played behind some atrocious lines back then if you'll recall. He could catch out of the backfield and block, plus he ran freaking hard. You put that guy in a Dallas or San Fran situation back then and he has a real nice career.

I met him and Frank Stams out one night after the Browns announced their move and they were both cool about it. Vardell looked huge in pads (especially the Mack like shoulder pads) but he was surprisingly not that big in person but still pretty ripped.

I understand your point, but when you draft a guy first round and he is no longer with you after 3 years, that's not good for us.

At the time, we thought we were getting an upgrade with Bentley.

Horrible article. Not only does it not actually preview our draft, we don't need to draft a pass-catching TE instead of a WR, and we aren't missing out not taking a DL, we arent in need of one. And our revolving door of CBs due to injuries? Im pretty sure our 2 starters started every game but one, where Daniels started over McDonald for like one series. And it doesnt even mention our number 2/3 need, a starting SS.

Horrible article. Not only does it not actually preview our draft, we don't need to draft a pass-catching TE instead of a WR, and we aren't missing out not taking a DL, we arent in need of one. And our revolving door of CBs due to injuries? Im pretty sure our 2 starters started every game but one, where Daniels started over McDonald for like one series. And it doesnt even mention our number 2/3 need, a starting SS.

No offense to anybody posting these, but national guy's perspective on what the Browns need (or anybody else) is usually about as brilliant as one of Lums' retorts.

Hell, if I was one of these supposed gurus, I'd visit message boards around the league for each team and could put together something way more cognizant about each team's needs than this toolshed.

I think by the time trades are done with, were gonna have 2 (maybe 3 if we trade edwards and trade down) 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, 3 third round picks and give or take a few low round choices

Im pretty sure we will off Derek for a 2nd, then trade down or trade edwards, or as I said, do both

I think we can snag all the people on my board here....

Michael Crabtree WR

Rey Maualuga ILB

William Moore SS

Rashad Jennings RB

Connor Barwin OLB

Frantz Joseph ILB

Jarett Dillard WR

Rylan Reed OT (UDFA)

we could only hope for a draft similar to this

Archived