THE BROWNS BOARD

Who's your favorite all-time kicker and why?

SkippinTurtles

Been obsessed with the NFL since the 80's and have no idea why kicking exists. An arbitrary non-contact position in a brilliantly violent game. Swinging your leg to decide the outcome of a brutally vicious sport is like deciding a boxing match with a jump rope contest.

Alternatively, the only time in the game called football where a foot connects with a ball to score points.

Been obsessed with the NFL since the 80's and have no idea why kicking exists. An arbitrary non-contact position in a brilliantly violent game. Swinging your leg to decide the outcome of a brutally vicious sport is like deciding a boxing match with a jump rope contest.

Completely agree. I hate kicking. It's at odds with the rest of the game.

Well, they do call it Football......so somewhere in the mix the foot and the ball have to interact.

Lou the Toe. As a kid, to all the fans he was bigger than life and he seldom missed.

When I was in Jr. High I met him once at the MetroPark Tobaggan run.

"Bigger than life" was accurate. "Never missed"? Not so much...

But having a good- or great kicker can mean the difference between winning and losing. Just ask Scott Norwood if he still has nightmares about that missed kick.

I tend to have as my favorite player people that like play for my teams and that like make the Hall of Fame.

Can you name a Browns Kicker that is in the HOF? If so, there you go.

Yea, that would be the guy nicknamed The Toe.

ape-groza-color-kick-8x10.jpg

Lou the Toe. As a kid, to all the fans he was bigger than life and he seldom missed.

Lou was my favorite Brown of the 60s, Moreso than Jim Brown. My second has to be Phil Dawson- even though he booked on us. That FG against the Bills in a blizzard has to be one of the greatest ever. BTW, if Phil was still playing for the Browns- he just eclipsed Groza in career points.

PS- Groza is in the HOF as much for playing OT, as his kicking, George Blanda for his quarterbacking. Jan Stenerud is the only pure kicker in the Hall, though MHO is Morton Andersen belongs. It was about time they let Ray Guy in as a punter. If you're the best at what you do- you should be in.

If Morton Andersen isn't in yet- Vinatieri will be waiting a long time. :)

What kills Morton Andersen is missing that very doable FG vrs Atlanta in the NFC Championship Game as the first kick he missed all year right after the commentator mentioned he hadn't missed all year.

That was the year Randall Cunningham wasn't supposed to be a good WCO QB but Robert Smith, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Jake Reed and 2-3 Pro Bowl linemen kind of made it tough to suck. Cunningham would sport the best passer ratings of his career with something like a 109 to go with a 15-1 record.

Come to think of it, didn't Minnesota just blow another kick this last post season vrs Seattle?

Groza was awesome kicking and playing some excellent Offensive Tackle for us. One guy that was not my fave was Don Cockroft. In that red right game, he had about a 38 yard FG attempt land about 15 yards shy of the goal post. Knowing all we needed at the end was a FG to win - his junior achievement was a big reason we had the blunder Brian Sipe is more remembered for than an MVP season from so many exciting comebacks.

Tom Dempsey had the longest FG record with no toes on his right foot. Saying he was offended by the nickname Lou Groza had, "the Toe", was kinda funny. Fuck it.

Dom gummit! I wasn't expecting to lose a freakin mouth full of beverage all over the laptop but that was a rip snortin riot ST.

Archived