THE BROWNS BOARD

Panthers remove tag from CB Josh Norman

The Panthers did the right thing. Norman over valued himself and was not worth all the money he wanted. Browns had better players before they left in free agency like Ward, Skrine, and Gioson! I wonder who picks Norman up?

With many teams strapped after they already spent their monies on free agents, do the Browns jump on him? Do they take a big cap hit if they release Tramon Williams? Will Joe Haden ever be worth his contract, and can the Browns get him to re-structure it?

I have saw Norman play every game last year. To say Skrine and Gipson were better is laughable. Do I think he is worth what he was wanting the Panther to pay, no. But he is a legit play making corner who plays with a chip on his shoulder, a la Steve Smith. So I don't mind the attitude as long as he channels it properly. I say the Browns should go after him, it instantly upgrades the back field and removes a draft need right away.

You may be right about Skrine and Gipson on the Browns but I believe they get better with new teams. As for the money Norman wants; he'll probably find a team willing but do they have cap space in April? Do the Browns have money for Norman and his giant ego?

I like what Josh Norman brings to the D, but I think his attitude doesn't fit what the Browns are building. I'm not saying that the Browns are building a team that puts the ball in the ref's hand all the time, but his attitude is a bit overboard. I just don't see Hue going after this guy.

Not a logical FA acquisition, but fuck logic. Go get him.

Seriously, could you imagine? I don't know if he'd be willing to play for the Browns, but $ does weird things to the best of men. We have the cap space, why not?

One thing I love about Josh's game... his eyes. He has great feel for receivers route combinations and isn't afraid to leave his primary assignment if he thinks the ball is going elsewhere.

Now, it does help that the panthers have played a solid amount of cover 2. But when they go to their c6 or qtr/qtr/half looks, he's done very well at the boundary spot.

On the surface this is an extremely unusual move and I dare say a very Cleveland Browns type of plan. However, if you don't know Dave Gettleman is arguably a top 5 GM in this game right now and was instrumental in making the Panthers the SB contending team they are. Dave is known as using the Steelers approach of not overpaying players he feels aren't worth it, which in his case are CB's. Here's a pretty good article about it: http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/20477/the-philosophy-of-panthers-gm-and-demands-of-josh-norman-never-meshed

I say that to bring up the point that if this guy who actually knows what he's doing made this bold move he didn't have to make, something stinks. He could have hard-balled Norman into a position where he would have signed the tender, but he didn't. I don't actually blame guys for wanting to go get paid, but you have to consider these variables in a big way.

He would never play for us...top rated free agents have at least a little say in where they go. In my mind, he would NEVER go from a Superbowl playing team, to a team that is so far away from the playoffs, that we can't even PRETEND to see them.

But...we should still try, LOL. I don't care what the price is.

He would never play for us...top rated free agents have at least a little say in where they go. In my mind, he would NEVER go from a Superbowl playing team, to a team that is so far away from the playoffs, that we can't even PRETEND to see them.

But...we should still try, LOL. I don't care what the price is.

I think he would go wherever the money is.

The logical side of me says the FO won't spend big time money on a guy who will be 30 by time we have a competitive team.

I think he would go wherever the money is.

The logical side of me says the FO won't spend big time money on a guy who will be 30 by time we have a competitive team.

I do think for him it IS all about the money. Obviously continuing to play on a Championship contending team is not important to him, or he would have stayed in Carolina.

I also think he may be surpised by the fact that there may NOT be any takers for his services at the price he wants.

The most overrated position in the NFL is DB. Over the last 10 years we have seen DBs sign huge contracts and rarely live up to them. Most of the time the #1 DB is physically overmatched by the #1 WR and the rules are setup to favor the WR. You hope you get lucky and draft a couple of DBs over a few years and they pan out, aka Seattle, before they leave and sign a free agent deal with a team they won't help.

I wonder how far we'd be over the cap if we signed every swinging dick FA that someone on this board wanted.

I need to keep a list in 2017...

And I'm guessing he just assholed himself out of 13 million bucks.

WSS

Actually, he assholed himself into 15 Million bucks. Times 5.

I am getting a distinct feeling a window closed for the Panthers and we won't see them in the Super Bowl again in the Cam Newton era.

Z

Actually, he assholed himself into 15 Million bucks. Times 5.

I am getting a distinct feeling a window closed for the Panthers and we won't see them in the Super Bowl again in the Cam Newton era.

Z

Oh well, fuck him, fuck the Panthers.....

and fuck whoever paid him 15 Million bucks for 5 years.

:)

WSS

Archived