THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Pettine Interview

gftChris

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/1280/morning-kickoff-mike-pettines-biggest-regrets-were-the-browns-top-two-picks-of-the-2014-draft

A change from draft talk for a little while.

“The two guys we felt good about were [Derek] Carr and [Jimmy] Garoppolo,” Pettine said Tuesday. “Just projecting the guys we thought would be there, we all thought [Teddy] Bridgewater would be gone.”

Yea, a poor job done all around: Pettine too as well as Farmer, Haslam.

The one thing that was not asked was his continued support of DC Jim O'Neill....whom it is clear to all of us was way over his head in that job....or just plain incompetent. Or, perhaps the blame for the bad, bad defense should be laid where the buck stops: Pettine and not O'Neil.

I'm a 60 year old woman who had in my mock draft Kalhil Mack-Derek Carr. I never wavered. How do professionals like Farmer & Pettine wind up with Gilbert at 8?

Thanks to Pettine & Farmer we are now in a total rebuilding stage with no wide receivers, running back, QB, pass rush, secondary, on and on it goes!

I'm a 60 year old woman who had in my mock draft Kalhil Mack-Derek Carr. I never wavered. How do professionals like Farmer & Pettine wind up with Gilbert at 8?

Thanks to Pettine & Farmer we are now in a total rebuilding stage with no wide receivers, running back, QB, pass rush, secondary, on and on it goes!

Agreed. the Browns would be much further along if they had just listened to us fans. It goes all the way back to 1999.

Agreed. the Browns would be much further along if they had just listened to us fans. It goes all the way back to 1999.

Well certainly when it comes to the first/second rounds I do not believe the fans could have done any worse, in fact the would have done better. I too never wanted to trade down for Gilbert I wanted Mack or Sammy Watkins, hopefully Sashi and company can make solid picks and not continue to the trade down mess any further.

God, makes me sad reading it.

Like Opal alluded to, the browns have remarkably drafted worse than any one of us would have.

Even Poe G ... he was all over Derek Carr. Lot's of guys had Mack.

I see it every year. This year, I like Buckner and Lynch.

Maybe they will both be gone, maybe we will trade and be drafting in different spots ... but ... for once ... I'd like for the Browns to do better than me.

Zombo

Farmer et al are not as smart as you my dear.

God, makes me sad reading it.

Like Opal alluded to, the browns have remarkably drafted worse than any one of us would have.

Even Poe G ... he was all over Derek Carr. Lot's of guys had Mack.

I see it every year. This year, I like Buckner and Lynch.

Maybe they will both be gone, maybe we will trade and be drafting in different spots ... but ... for once ... I'd like for the Browns to do better than me.

Zombo

Exactly Z. Ladanian Tomlinson would have been a Brown, as well as Clay Matthews Jr. Butterfingers Braylon and Johnny Football would have been another teams problem.

Now with the Cleveland slant- I won't be upset if we draft Cardale- if he's still there in a round Sashi & company deem appropriate.

We would miss getting the pick in on time due to arguing .......if we did not take Lynch at 8 Ghoolie would resign

I'm tellin' ya, chickens and darts puts in the playoffs in a couple a years!

Not monkeys though. Too much like the pickers since '99.

Ag, it was scientifically proven- Chickens could have done a better job of drafting than Ray Farmer.

http://fox8.com/2015/12/21/mike-polk-asks-who-is-better-at-drafting-chickens-or-cleveland-browns/

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/12/23/10661252/cleveland-browns-vs-barnyard-chickens

Stop bringing up mack, that ones more painful than watt cause at least with watt he was projected as a 4-3 guy and we weren't running that then. Mack just fit on all levels. I was screaming that Mack was perfect as he could also play ilb'er and potentially take over as the cpt of the defense in a few years....and this year didn't he make the pro bowl as both inside and outside lb'er? Fucking sick.

I never thought Pettine was a bad guy or anything. I do feel though he was in over his head. He doesn't deserve all the blame of course. It's really too late to point fingers. I'm sure Pettine will show up as a coordinator someplace.

Watt was projected as a 4-3 guy?

You really need to start thinking about shedding the 4-3 3-4 labels in the classic sense many of you toss around.

That said, I seem to remember through a drunken haze that our front office said Johnny was the #1 guy on their board at the QB spot. Now they're saying he was not the number one player on their board at the time.

Like many of us know, Johnny was Haslam's pick. I hope that one year of increased season ticket sales was worth it, jackass. I wanted Roby, Carr, Filo, Hyde... ANYONE but Manziel when we got to 22.

I was screaming that Mack was perfect...

I remember, but more muted since we really did not think Mack was ever going to get to us at #4.

Like many of us know, Johnny was Haslam's pick. I hope that one year of increased season ticket sales was worth it, jackass. I wanted Roby, Carr, Filo, Hyde... ANYONE but Manziel when we got to 22.

That's pretty much plain as mud now. I hope Jimmuh has learned his lesson to not take advice from homeless guys, and Sashi told him as the owner, he can still sit in the War Room- but we're going to duct tape your mouth.

Watt was projected as a 4-3 guy?

yeah...which if I remember correctly was our FO's reasoning why we didn't take him even though we were running a 3-4 just like Houston. Then he goes on to become one of the best defensive lineman in the history of the sport. A "zero" baggage guy to boot. At the time I was thinking why not change to more 4-3 for a guy like that. I'm not gonna say I anticpated what he ended up becoming but everyone knew he would be a very very good DE....so if a guy like that comes out I would like to see a team that can make adjustments to that kind of talent in order to utilize them. Kind of like what we're going through now, oh we can't take Bosa cause he can't be a 3-4 OLB'er. Well he can you just have to make him a strict jack and not expect him to go out into deep man coverage like Pettine had Kruger and Monty doing last year.

That's pretty much plain as mud now. I hope Jimmuh has learned his lesson to not take advice from homeless guys, and Sashi told him as the owner, he can still sit in the War Room- but we're going to duct tape your mouth.

Yet Jimmah was "involved" in the RG3 decision...

Archived