THE BROWNS BOARD

Corey Coleman !

calfoxwc

For those suggesting he's not a #1 receiver - based on what? Height? Weight? And how do you define a #1 receiver?

Complete route tree. Polished WR able to step into feature role Game 1 irregardless of pro system. They don't grow on trees, but you can grow them.

Just not what I see now. Doesn't mean he's not a seedling...

1. Some people say he replaces Benji, I disagree.
  2. I think we upgraded from him.

1. I think fills Benji's role.

2. Rookie to rookie comparison? No doubt, an upgrade. But seasoned Benji to rookie CC? A continuation with added upside.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I forgot to add.

We forget (myself included) that Hue was not in charge of Cincy's Draft.

Doubtless he had input, but he was the OC, not the GM or HC.

He still may not have total say, but I would think he has a whole lot more input than he had at Cincy.

I had heard and thought that Treadwell was going to be their target, but I didn't take into account that Hue likes Team Speed.

I think Coleman reflects this, and may be an indicator of the types of players Hue is going to focus on.

Addendum:

Hadn't seen this posted - http://fanpass.nfl.com/story/831/draft-diary-corey-coleman-is-cleveland-s-guy

Got nothing on "yards per route"... is that even a thing?

From PFF's Round One Grades...

15. Cleveland Browns: Corey Coleman | Grade: A

(Pick acquired in trade with Tennessee Titans)

Our top receiver is off the board as Corey Coleman goes to Cleveland. He’s dynamic both before and after the catch, capable of separating as well as any receiver in the draft and then taking it to the house after he catches it. Coleman posted a ridiculous 4.88 yards per route (best in the nation) before a poor quarterback situation hurt his production. His 10 drops are cause for some concern, but not nearly enough to offset what he brings to the table as both a short and deep threat. Even with his limited experience running a number of routes in Baylor’s offense, Coleman has all of the skills to separate on any type of route once he transitions to the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/28/draft-2016-nfl-draft-pick-by-pick-grades-and-analysis-of-round-1-2/

We just need to get him some of this undetectable stickum they use.

Team speed is what Al Davis became obsessed with.

You can't teach speed, but as we've seen - you can't teach hands either.

I think that depends on what the problem is. If it's coordination - eyes/hands, true.

If it's technique, not true. Jerry Rice says he practiced for hours to learn to be great at it.

Something I forgot to add.

We forget (myself included) that Hue was not in charge of Cincy's Draft.

Doubtless he had input, but he was the OC, not the GM or HC.

He still may not have total say, but I would think he has a whole lot more input than he had at Cincy.

I had heard and thought that Treadwell was going to be their target, but I didn't take into account that Hue likes Team Speed.

I think Coleman reflects this, and may be an indicator of the types of players Hue is going to focus on.

Addendum:

Hadn't seen this posted - http://fanpass.nfl.com/story/831/draft-diary-corey-coleman-is-cleveland-s-guy

Man, that video is inspiring - hadn't seen that one !!! This kid is a winner pick !

CC is a blue chip. I'm excited!

I can't imagine the Havoc if Gordon gets reinstated... RG3, Gordon and Coleman= nasty.

CC is a blue chip. I'm excited!

I can't imagine the Havoc if Gordon gets reinstated... RG3, Gordon and Coleman= nasty.

and if we can snag Braxton in the 3 with one of our picks and develope him, we will have some damn good play makers in the future.

Visual of CC's route tree at Baylor...

Browns make a refreshing first pick in their new analytics era

By Matt Harmon April 29 at 1:33 PM

Corey-Coleman-Route-percentages.png

Not a single out route... curious...

Full article here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/04/29/browns-make-a-refreshing-first-pick-in-their-new-analytics-era/

Is it a whine to wonder if he is a #1 WR? Is so, then I'm a whiner.

What I see is a Benji replacement with a couple more branches on his rookie route tree and an interest in fighting for a ball. Not nothing, but not a #1.

Don't forget the drops!

Got nothing on "yards per route"... is that even a thing?

From PFF's Round One Grades...

15. Cleveland Browns: Corey Coleman | Grade: A

(Pick acquired in trade with Tennessee Titans)

Our top receiver is off the board as Corey Coleman goes to Cleveland. Hes dynamic both before and after the catch, capable of separating as well as any receiver in the draft and then taking it to the house after he catches it. Coleman posted a ridiculous 4.88 yards per route (best in the nation) before a poor quarterback situation hurt his production. His 10 drops are cause for some concern, but not nearly enough to offset what he brings to the table as both a short and deep threat. Even with his limited experience running a number of routes in Baylors offense, Coleman has all of the skills to separate on any type of route once he transitions to the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/28/draft-2016-nfl-draft-pick-by-pick-grades-and-analysis-of-round-1-2/

Unfortunately we have a poor quarterback situation

I remember the JFF youtube highlights. Means nothing.

Really... even vs. on-field performance?

Unfortunately we have a poor quarterback situation

Not anymore...

"Cody Kessler to the res-cue...

Go Cody Kesller, GoCody Kessler..."

Visual of CC's route tree at Baylor...

Browns make a refreshing first pick in their new analytics era

By Matt Harmon April 29 at 1:33 PM

Corey-Coleman-Route-percentages.png

Not a single out route... curious...

Full article here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/04/29/browns-make-a-refreshing-first-pick-in-their-new-analytics-era/

I've had plenty of people telling me he's going to the slot. Wrongo.... That's why I was interested in Braxton earlier.

He's a straight line burner that uses his speed to threaten deep and when the CB backs off they toss him a slant or curl.

Seriously, go check out the WVU tape and others I saw. He dropped one slant, they went right back to him again on 2 more consecutive slants.

As for why you don't see the 5, 6 or 7 with Corey is because it takes away his greatest attribute - YAC. It gives no benefit to Briles if his fastest weapon isn't pointed back into the interior of the field.

Get him on a slant or screen and he's easily in space. Get him on the fly? Cool.. he'll roast a CB that doesn't have help. The curl is the counter. Everything else? Not necessary at Baylor.

As for why you don't see the 5, 6 or 7 with Corey is because it takes away his greatest attribute - YAC.

Also not exactly the "go to" hands on 3rd and 5?

I wanted it noted somewhere in some tread I had Cody Kessler & a lot of his whiskey would be needed when we had to watch him.. Sorry T :P

Also not exactly the "go to" hands on 3rd and 5?

He might be like Steve Smith physically, but Smitty could catch a bb in the dark. This kid ain't that.

Not to say he's Greg Little either. He isn't the best pair of hands on this team, I don't know enough about Baylor's skill players to comment on his college team either.

CC's hands measured at the dreaded 9....

Handsize might be an issue. CC doesn't always catch the ball away from his body.

The two most important things to me that any (good) receiver should have before I draft them are lights out hands, and good footwork. He needs serious improvement on both of those before he's a starter. As its stands he's relied on scheme and straight line speed. Which brings me back to the receiver I wanted that doesn't possess either issue.

Oh and if I hear the "zomg 20 touchdowns" thing again... People truly need to understand that if there is a decent receiver in Baylor's offense, they'll get double digit TD's without too much trouble.

I see him as picking up where Benji left off. Filling our deep threat, stretch the D role with an incomplete route tree and the odd drop here and there. However, CC is offering more upside... I think Benji maxxed out last season.

Agree?

I see him as picking up where Benji left off. Filling our deep threat, stretch the D role with an incomplete route tree and the odd drop here and there. However, CC is offering more upside... I think Benji maxxed out last season.

Agree?

Much more upside. Agree completely.

edit: I would be lying if I said I would have spent a 15 pick on that type of role/player. This is a vision Shashi and this coaching staff has for this kid. If you want a good glimpse of how long this coaching staff and Mr Brown might last, CC's development arch and contributions might give us an indication whether or not this is the long haul.

Oh and if I hear the "zomg 20 touchdowns" thing again... People truly need to understand that if there is a decent receiver in Baylor's offense, they'll get double digit TD's without too much trouble.

Yep.

Archived