THE BROWNS BOARD

Cancer patients get taken for a ride in this country.

thank you for asking - I was just asking for a purely subjective question that can go rather deep... nonetheless

when I asked about the aspect between (hope ) vs agnostics / atheists (that you picked up on) I guess I meant why is there a palpable hatred for the

spiritual relationship people of religious faith have vs the intellectual / scientific faith you guys keep?

I would pray that you (as well as each of us) can have health, strength, prosperity, creativity - add any attribute...

I just dont get that vibe from the crowd you guys run with- so I wonder wheres the hope?

There isn't a hatred of religious people. If people want to believe in whichever god or gods they feel comfortable with then good luck to them, no skin off of my nose. If you start telling me I'm a bad person because I don't, then that's where we start to have a problem. I'm going to hell for not believing, I'm going to hell for having sex, I'm going to hell for (hypothetically) being gay, god made floods/lightning/hurricanes because we allowed women/blacks/gays equal rights. You hear all sorts of nonsense from people trying to use religion to confirm their own bias.

To the question of hope, and what keeps me going in the times of despair, I understand why you would ask that. I know plenty of religious people and I have no doubt in those tough times they turn to god because they don't have the strength to deal with the issues on their own. Well, I don't deal with issues on my own either, I talk to my partner, to my family. When a loved one dies (as happened recently for me), I don't feel the need to pray to anyone for his salvation because I don't believe in heaven or hell or anything like that. Instead, I am glad my grandfather lived a full and happy life, got to see parts of the world that would not have been possible, countries that didn't exist, when he was a boy; he saw all his children grow in to adulthood, parenthood, grandparenthood, he has endless stories about when he fished in this river, golfed on that course - even caddied for royalty once upon a time.

He died at the age of 98, basically from a cold - he fell, broke his hip, went to hospital and didn't come out. He was so weak, that anything would have killed him off and it did. Could have been any of us visiting that, because we're younger and stronger, didn't even feel ill.

I certainly hope that you all are healthy and happy, but I'm aware that that has more to do with your own life choices than anything else, and don't feel the need or point in pleading with some supposedly loving and caring deity for your health.

There isn't a hatred of religious people. If people want to believe in whichever god or gods they feel comfortable with then good luck to them, no skin off of my nose. If you start telling me I'm a bad person because I don't, then that's where we start to have a problem. I'm going to hell for not believing, I'm going to hell for having sex, I'm going to hell for (hypothetically) being gay, god made floods/lightning/hurricanes because we allowed women/blacks/gays equal rights. You hear all sorts of nonsense from people trying to use religion to confirm their own bias.

To the question of hope, and what keeps me going in the times of despair, I understand why you would ask that. I know plenty of religious people and I have no doubt in those tough times they turn to god because they don't have the strength to deal with the issues on their own. Well, I don't deal with issues on my own either, I talk to my partner, to my family. When a loved one dies (as happened recently for me), I don't feel the need to pray to anyone for his salvation because I don't believe in heaven or hell or anything like that. Instead, I am glad my grandfather lived a full and happy life, got to see parts of the world that would not have been possible, countries that didn't exist, when he was a boy; he saw all his children grow in to adulthood, parenthood, grandparenthood, he has endless stories about when he fished in this river, golfed on that course - even caddied for royalty once upon a time.

He died at the age of 98, basically from a cold - he fell, broke his hip, went to hospital and didn't come out. He was so weak, that anything would have killed him off and it did. Could have been any of us visiting that, because we're younger and stronger, didn't even feel ill.

I certainly hope that you all are healthy and happy, but I'm aware that that has more to do with your own life choices than anything else, and don't feel the need or point in pleading with some supposedly loving and caring deity for your health.

We shall pray for you as you burn.

I think if anybody who doesn't believe that God is there...

fell into a spring on a record cold winter morning in the woods, all alone....

and couldn't get out....

maybe they would think differently....?

I think if anybody who doesn't believe that God is there...

fell into a spring on a record cold winter morning in the woods, all alone....

and couldn't get out....

maybe they would think differently....?

I have had guns stuffed in my face, nearly drown in a lake, not once did I worry about a higher being bailing me out. I know others turn to that sort of thing and I completely understand why but I can't bring myself to beg to something/someone I don't believe exists.

point well taken. The guns stuffed in your face doesn't sound like fun.

I know nearly drowning isn't fun. But I was a fifth grade kid - that's just

how I understood it - the way I didn't die.

point well taken. The guns stuffed in your face doesn't sound like fun.

I know nearly drowning isn't fun. But I was a fifth grade kid - that's just

how I understood it - the way I didn't die.

I was swimming across a lake and both of my legs locked up cramping. Starting to drown is a great motivator for your arms to get their shit in gear haha. Up to that point, that was the most scared I had ever been. I was 11 and by myself. I had ridden my bike out to a state park that was near my Aunt and Uncle's house.

that's terrifying. My situation, you probly' read it, is a bit different..

I had no way of saving myself, surrounded by ice rounded wall...and was nearly going to die

from hypothermia - I had already nearly fallen asleep and wasn't cold

anymore with my boots at the bottom of the spring...

Archived