THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting article on ridiculous offseason rules

Clevfan4life

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2016/06/04/ben-volin-why-nfl-offseason-programs-don-properly-prepare-players/ZojXrirPKtErvXM7EcKrRL/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

Im trying to figure out why you wont let pass rushers practice pass rushing and offensive lineman practice stopping those pass rushers....for most of the offseason. Or even more ridiculous rules like punters not being able to take direct snaps. Maybe this has something to do with why our players dont seem to make gains after we draft them. Barkevious goes and puts on 20 lbs of cheap starchy pancake fueled mass with some he bitch ex bodybuilder probably cause he is forbidden from doing it at berea with our fucking coaches who arent allowed to be near him. I mean wtf?

I said this when the new CBA was signed - off season work is a fucking joke and high school players have a more demanding schedule with two a days compared to six+ figure athletes.

But I don't get why? Why do some of the developmental players that want to stay in town and work on their craft get fucked like that? The vets, sure they go back home and do their own offseason stuff....but why can't Browns coaches work with guys offseason if they've stuck around in town? Makes no sense.

off season work is a fucking joke and high school players have a more demanding schedule with two a days compared to six+ figure athletes.

Your absolutely correct on this Tia. Scouting High School football in NC the 2 a days our about to end soon here. Due to heat & just the size of some of these kids. Remember there was deaths happening in NFL due to Heat & Hydration & poor coaching habits. It called for a change, but not so candy ass was needed. The HS AD's our really taking some heat on this. Parents our actually coming to the meetings & pulling Kids from practice fields. Times they are a changing..

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2016/06/04/ben-volin-why-nfl-offseason-programs-don-properly-prepare-players/ZojXrirPKtErvXM7EcKrRL/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

Im trying to figure out why you wont let pass rushers practice pass rushing and offensive lineman practice stopping those pass rushers....for most of the offseason. Or even more ridiculous rules like punters not being able to take direct snaps. Maybe this has something to do with why our players dont seem to make gains after we draft them. Barkevious goes and puts on 20 lbs of cheap starchy pancake fueled mass with some he bitch ex bodybuilder probably cause he is forbidden from doing it at berea with our fucking coaches who arent allowed to be near him. I mean wtf?

Ya I know right? If a franchise is paying millions that guy better be practicing year round. It's bullshit.

It is the whole concussion bullshit thing that is the motivation behind the new practice rules.

My point is this: if you don't want to get hurt, don't play football.

That was a decision I made early on after I had gotten a knee blown out and took a few whacks to the head. I was just not really physically strong enough to play football and it hurt to play so I didn't except for some back yard play.

I was built more for baseball and basketball. I played varsity level baseball, but wasn't quite good enough in hoops. I was OK....but there were other better players.

And other than like track and field, cross country and wrestling there really were no other sports to play. And I didn't really care for just "running". (tennis and golf I guess....but I was from a working class family and those sports didn't even come into the consciousness).

There was no soccer being played when I went to school. It may have been a sport I would have played....but no one played that.

I understand tackling drills but all other stuff? Pass rushing and pass protect? I mean you csnt even show up in berea and practice ripping or swimming arond some bags even.

Plus theres so much other stuff we could have our developmental guys doing to inc their strength and explosiveness that doesnt involve pads and head of the n collisions.

It is the whole concussion bullshit thing that is the motivation behind the new practice rules.

My point is this: if you don't want to get hurt, don't play football.

[/color]

I subscribe to this line of thinking as well.

But the NFL has to be cognizant of legal liability. It's not out of concern for the players. Rather a protection of the bottom line.

Just more fuel to the fire guys. Alex Marvez Fox Sports on Vets 3 day MANDATORY Camp.---No live blocking,tackling or bump & run pass coverage. NO PADS- Coaches can gauge the conditioning & readiness of Vets who may have skipped voluntary off season workouts. Per CBA- Vets under contract must report. Those who do not fined 10k daily could max out at 60k. Players can stay in building 10hrs. per day max. 31/2 hours max per day on field drills. Camp days can start from 7am & must end by 8:30pm. 1 hour for lunch & dinner. Vet players will be paid 360 bucks a day for participation as well as given meal allowances. Teams also must pay for travel expenses & provide lodging for Vets. who are coming from out of town. ROOKIES ARE PAID NOTHING..All teams must video tape practice until 30 days before the start of training camp. NFLPA can review video tape practice IF a complaint is filed against offender.. Attorneys & Some Head scratching stuff at its finest..

I guess the one thing that can be said about these rules is that they apply to everyone....so even if these rules hurt performance, at least all the teams are in the same boat.

But...of course, it will also mean that when the games are played that tackling techniques will likely suffer.....meaning that more people will probably get hurt making tackles because they haven't be trained properly how to do so.

So, it is possible that this rule could backfire and actually have the opposite effect of what it was intended to do.

Archived