THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL QB status keeps unfolding

OconRecon

In March, the news was NO TAKERS FOR GARCIA, LEFTWICH, LOSMAN, GROSSMAN

Now,

Garcia is with the Raiders.

Leftwich has been offered a contract close to minimum wage - $620,000 in 2009 and $755,000 in 2010 by the Steelers

Grossman is getting press time from PFT and NFL Network talking about where he'll land.

Losman's name is at the bottom of the Lions list, being referred to as "the next best option".

"Unproven" Quinn was part of the buzz in the biggest QB news of the off season.

And now the draft with talk of Sanchez, Stafford, and White.

DA doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar. Hopefully, its because Mangini has sold everyone on this QB competition thing and so nobody is knocking on the door, but I doubt it. Mary Kay Cabot has said numerous times, the Mangini regime feels no one is untouchable, and the Winslow trade and the BE rumors seem to substantiate her claim.

These QB's are in DA's ballpark. Garcia is a pro bowler, the affable Leftwich has plenty of starting time under his belt, Grossman has had one good season (a 3000+ yard Super Bowl season), etc.

If Mangini can pull out a 3rd round pick or higher, I'll be ecstatic, but the lack of buzz is concerning. Last off season, there was tons of talk about DA, and this year - nada. In the "what have you done for me lately" NFL, I'm starting to think DA's value ship has sailed over the horizon and nobody is seeing him.

The good news is Detroit, the Jets, and Tampa haven't made a move at QB, and all make sense. Maybe even SF.

Now, I assume Stafford goes to Detroit, and that leaves the market a little thinner. Sanchez will go somewhere, probably Cleveland, Denver, or San Francisco, perhaps with a trade-up. Seattle's possible, too.

Remember: The Winslow trade is still "undisclosed draft picks." Might be that Anderson tweaks the deal.

It's sounding like the Jets are not going to be in the market. Tannebaum drafted Clemens and wants to give him a shot.

General managers HATE saying they made a bad move. Clemens is going to be their QB.

I've also read that it's believed that Singletary does not want to go after a QB as well. He's happy to go with what they have.

I think in the end the only two teams that are going to be looking QB are the Lions and Bucs.

It's sounding like the Jets are not going to be in the market. Tannebaum drafted Clemens and wants to give him a shot.

General managers HATE saying they made a bad move. Clemens is going to be their QB.

I've also read that it's believed that Singletary does not want to go after a QB as well. He's happy to go with what they have.

I think in the end the only two teams that are going to be looking QB are the Lions and Bucs.

So much for the Bucs, they've signed Leftwich.

Yep. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212

================================================================================

Source: Buccaneers to add QB LeftwichComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

Leftwich, 29, a first-round draft pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars out of Marshall in 2003, won a Super Bowl ring last season as a backup with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has started just eight games since 2006, his last season with the Jaguars. He played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

Leftwich passed for 303 yards with two touchdowns in five appearances with the Steelers last season as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

================================================================================

So, the teams who might bite on DA are the Jets and Lions, with rumors the Jets are sticking with Clemens and the Lions will draft a QB.

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo quarterback competition!

Well look at the bright side, we may not have the best no1 QB but we would have the best 1,2 combo !

I'm sure that Bret Favre was asked to come here with a purpose and since DA is a gunslinger like Favre .. im assuming that Favre would have coached DA on some techniques making DA better that what he was in the 08 season. So we will have a good future QB or we can get better value for his trade.

Well look at the bright side, we may not have the best no1 QB but we would have the best 1,2 combo !

I'm sure that Bret Favre was asked to come here with a purpose and since DA is a gunslinger like Favre .. im assuming that Favre would have coached DA on some techniques making DA better that what he was in the 08 season. So we will have a good future QB or we can get better value for his trade.

Maybe they could put them in at the same time... Come up with some very creative passing schemes..

Archived