THE BROWNS BOARD

Who the Browns should draft!

bigred

I know I will get crushed for this but hear me out.

With the #5 pick the Cleveland Browns select Chris Wells.

Look at these stats:

Fresh- 104Att 576Yd 5.5Avg 7TD

Soph- 274Att 1609Yd 5.9Avg 15Td

Jun- 207Att 1197YD 5.8Avg 8TD

In the 2 bowl games he started:

Vs LSU- 20Att 146YD 7.3Avg 1Td

Vs Texas- 16Att 106YD 6.6Avg

In his whole career he only missed 3 games and that was all in his last year. He is not injury prone. Look at what AP has done with the Vikings. Wells would be a perfect fit in the AFC north and with Quinn in the backfield and also with Harrison to share the load.

If it were me that's my pick.

The guy never came through in "crunch time". He looked great at times. I saw him pull himself out of games when it seemed like he should be begging for the ball. I do agree that we need that back in the AFC North. That's what the good teams have. But it's usually someone who will say "Gimme the ball, we are going to take over this game." Ex: Bettis, Lewis (in Balt, he tried like hell in Cleveland, but didn't have it.)

The guy never came through in "crunch time". He looked great at times. I saw him pull himself out of games when it seemed like he should be begging for the ball. I do agree that we need that back in the AFC North. That's what the good teams have. But it's usually someone who will say "Gimme the ball, we are going to take over this game." Ex: Bettis, Lewis (in Balt, he tried like hell in Cleveland, but didn't have it.)

I wouldn't take him at #5 but that excuse is lame. The guys has been a stud at crunch time. It's the defense and OLine that let them down in crunch time, certainly not Wells. People that say he is injury prone are looking for an excuse.

But, sometime a team has to take the best player available within a set of needs. OLB, WR, Center, SS, DL then maybe RB.

I wouldn't take him at #5 but that excuse is lame. The guys has been a stud at crunch time. It's the defense and OLine that let them down in crunch time, certainly not Wells. People that say he is injury prone are looking for an excuse.

People are wrong when they say he's injury prone....He's pain prone and when he experiences it he takes himself out of the game....."Oh, my finger hurts!"

I loved what the NFL's combine website said about him..."Wells doesn't seem to know the difference between pain and injury".....A PC way of questioning the guy's heart. They see the same thing that those of us who, when it comes to the NFL, do not wear Scarlet and Gray glasses.

If he has no heart now,What will he be after he get's his big Pay day?

Even Tressel had to have a talk with the guy on one occasion.

Chris Spielman ripped him big time for running off the field all the time. He said "Beanie needs to learn that playing with pain is part of the game"....And he went on and on during a rant on Buckeye Roundtable.

I could see him have a good season or two, but it'll never last. An awful pick anywhere in the top 15.

People are wrong when they say he's injury prone....He's pain prone and when he experiences it he takes himself out of the game....."Oh, my finger hurts!"

I loved what the NFL's combine website said about him..."Wells doesn't seem to know the difference between pain and injury".....A PC way of questioning the guy's heart. They see the same thing that those of us who, when it comes to the NFL, do not wear Scarlet and Gray glasses.

If he has no heart now,What will he be after he get's his big Pay day?

Even Tressel had to have a talk with the guy on one occasion.

Chris Spielman ripped him big time for running off the field all the time. He said "Beanie needs to learn that playing with pain is part of the game"....And he went on and on during a rant on Buckeye Roundtable.

I could see him have a good season or two, but it'll never last. An awful pick anywhere in the top 15.

That was his soph year when he had the wrist injury and ankle sprain. Even with his combat boot on, he never asked to come out last year. And, he always stepped up and took the ball in the big games. Questioning his heart is about as stupid a comment as you can make.

You want to question heart, start with Edwards and you can work your way around to roster in Cleveland.

Oh wait, Mangini is dumping most of those guys.

. Questioning his heart is about as stupid a comment as you can make.

Hear that Spielman? You are making Stupid comments about his heart!!

We all know how big of a fool Chris is.

The combine writers are making stupid comments too then.

Why is that only OSU fans don't see that this guy has some real problems when it comes to heart?

Ytown, he did ask to come out or just came out on his own on a bunch of occasions last year. Pal, I record and watch games over and over again to isolate on players.

He came out twice due to some kind of a problem with his hand or fingers, Twice he came out with a toe or foot problem....This isn't just me, the paper talked about it as well. I remember once he came out holding his mid section.....Those are the ones just off the top of my head that were clearly physical. There were more times when he motioned to the sidelines that he needed to come out....It may have been for a breather or something else. But you are barking up the wrong tree if you are going to sit here and actually try and say the guy didn't come out on his own. It happened almost every week and sometimes several times a game.

My brother and I would talk about it every Saturday night! I know what I saw! The Guys I worked with talked about it during the week.....Speilman and others didn't come up with this stuff on their own!

At a press conference Tressel talked about having a sit down talk with him. He said he had to sit Chris down to talk to him about his leadership responsbilites. This was after there was a lot of questioning about his lack of heart.

I love how he bailed on his team in the second half of the game against Texas. Typical Wells.

Why is that only OSU fans don't see that this guy has some real problems when it comes to heart?

They're probably struggling to see past the couches and/or mattresses that they just set on fire. Those flames tend to get rather large and obstruct one's view.

Hear that Spielman? You are making Stupid comments about his heart!!

We all know how big of a fool Chris is.

The combine writers are making stupid comments too then.

Ytown, he did ask to come out or just came out on his own on a bunch of occasions last year. Pal, I record and watch games over and over again to isolate on players.

He came out twice due to some kind of a problem with his hand or fingers, Twice he came out with a toe or foot problem....This isn't just me, the paper talked about it as well. I remember once he came out holding his mid section.....Those are the ones just off the top of my head that were clearly physical. There were more times when he motioned to the sidelines that he needed to come out....It may have been for a breather or something else. But you are barking up the wrong tree if you are going to sit here and actually try and say the guy didn't come out on his own. It happened almost every week and sometimes several times a game.

My brother and I would talk about it every Saturday night! I know what I saw! The Guys I worked with talked about it during the week.....Speilman and others didn't come up with this stuff on their own!

At a press conference Tressel talked about having a sit down talk with him. He said he had to sit Chris down to talk to him about his leadership responsbilites. This was after there was a lot of questioning about his lack of heart.

I love how he bailed on his team in the second half of the game against Texas. Typical Wells.

I guess a concussion is a bailout. Especially when it was the doctors decision that prevented him from returning. That is a real dumb statement. Dumber then saying he didn't show up in the big games. If you watch tape like you say you do, then you are spouting BS and know it.

Gee, maybe you should send something out to all the NFL teams because someone is going to get stuck with this bum with no heart. I just can't understand how someone with no heart can be considered one of the best RBs in the country and lead one of the premier programs in the country.

Maybe it's that, bash the buckeyes mentality. Diss anything Scarlet and Grey. Didn't you also say that JL would be a bust and Jenkins was overrated. Maybe it isn't the player, just the school that eats at you.

Please post a link to Speilman's quote about Wells not having heart. Or, are you just taking some wantabe media clowns opinion.

You remember once he came out holding his midsection..................wow, no heart. Maybe he found it when he went back in after he caught his breath. Let me ask you, but maybe you never played football, have you ever landed on that ball when tackled? Have you ever twisted an ankle? I've seem NFL players miss games for turf toe.

RBs get banged up and when they get retaped and go back in, they got heart. When they play half a season injured, they have heart.

When you rap a player because you don't like his school or as you put it "don't wear scarlet and grey glasses", it's a bias statement.

Now, post some links so the rest of the NFL won't get stuck with this multi 1000 yard season gutless punk.

OK....just to get this thing back on track.....

The thread was about how we should draft Wells at #5 overall. :rolleyes:

Sorry; after considering that possibility, I can't stop laughing long enough to form a coherent thought. I'll try again tomorrow.

I know I will get crushed for this but hear me out.

With the #5 pick the Cleveland Browns select Chris Wells.

Look at these stats:

Fresh- 104Att 576Yd 5.5Avg 7TD

Soph- 274Att 1609Yd 5.9Avg 15Td

Jun- 207Att 1197YD 5.8Avg 8TD

In the 2 bowl games he started:

Vs LSU- 20Att 146YD 7.3Avg 1Td

Vs Texas- 16Att 106YD 6.6Avg

In his whole career he only missed 3 games and that was all in his last year. He is not injury prone. Look at what AP has done with the Vikings. Wells would be a perfect fit in the AFC north and with Quinn in the backfield and also with Harrison to share the load.

If it were me that's my pick.

YOWSA! Bigred, that's an impressive way to make your opinion and defend it. Great job by you! I needed to read SOMETHING like this about Wells because he SCARES me most due to how tempting of a talent he is when he's actually wearing a uniform with his teammates.

Another guy that was VERY similar (whom Shep would always tell us was gonna be a great one pre-draft) was Duece McAllister. He slid because of his injury history BUT when he PLAYED he put up the Chris Wells numbers in a conference like the SEC. Someone got themself a very nice 25th/26th pick overall while we got a very unmotivated Gerrard Warren post-signing bonus.

It was disappointing that Wells couldn't go against USC but you're right about him vrs LSU. He was the ONLY good memory of that game. He was an absolute MONSTER against the Michigan team OSU wasn't supposed to beat so that's a HUGE game.

If I'm being honest though, the injuries do put the wear and tear on the body. If it's the same kind of injuries sidelining him each year - is it a trend worth ignoring at #5 overall? I bring this up to you, because I look at what a RB rich draft this is ahead of us. We can get a special RB like McCoy after round 1 after filling a very important defensive need in round 1.

Here's something else I think we should pay a little attention to with Wells before drafting him:

in 06 he only had 16 yards receiving

in 07 he only had 21 yards receiving

in 08 he only had 47 yards receiving

It would be good to get a RB that's a REAL danger coming out of the backfield. I guess a strong arguement the other way would be Keith Byars was more known for his 200 yard rushing days at OSU than his receiving arts. His NFL resume would become more about the receiving skills than the big rushing days. The thing I remembered most about Keith Byars at OSU was he had 4.5 speed on that huge frame. A Kevin Mack type that encompasses the word special.

- Tom F.

I think Beenie Wells is a reach at #5. As i see it we have alot of glaring needs and not enough picks. If we trade lets say Quinn or Edwards all we are going to do is create a bigger whole that will still need to be filled. Keep Quinn and Anderson first of all. Keep Edwards second. We need help on the D-Line, Corner, Safety, Wide Reciever, Center, Running Back. WE HAVE 6 POSITIONS THAT NEED STARTERS NOW. We only have 5 draft picks. Im no math whiz but even if we hit gold on all 5 picks we will still need help. I like Mangini picking up stop gap players but he can only find so many that fit the bill of cheap and team first players. So i have come to the conclusion thats its another Browns year lol. So if i was the GM here is my draft as i see it.

#5 Brian Orakpo DE Texas

#36 Louis Delmas FS Western Michigan

#50 Brian Robiskie WR Ohio State or Juaquin Iglesias WR Oklahoma

#104 Victor Harris CB Virginia Tech

#177 Ian Johnson RB Boise State

ROME WASNT BUILT OVERNIGHT

I think Beenie Wells is a reach at #5. As i see it we have alot of glaring needs and not enough picks. If we trade lets say Quinn or Edwards all we are going to do is create a bigger whole that will still need to be filled. Keep Quinn and Anderson first of all. Keep Edwards second. We need help on the D-Line, Corner, Safety, Wide Reciever, Center, Running Back. WE HAVE 6 POSITIONS THAT NEED STARTERS NOW. We only have 5 draft picks. Im no math whiz but even if we hit gold on all 5 picks we will still need help. I like Mangini picking up stop gap players but he can only find so many that fit the bill of cheap and team first players. So i have come to the conclusion thats its another Browns year lol. So if i was the GM here is my draft as i see it.

#5 Brian Orakpo DE Texas

I agree with you 100%. Wells is a big stretch at #5, I just don't care for buckeye haters pissing on the guy saying he has no heart. I've said many times that we need to address OLB (edge pass rusher), WR, SS, DL and Center. Since we already paid Lewis a $6 million bonus this year I don't think RB will be addressed this draft unless it is in the 2nd day.

Terry Pluto had a great statement in his article this morning about Atlanta GM saying he drafts for needs and takes the best player within those needs and I really like that idea. Personally, I hope we can find a trade partner and move down but, with what we have I believe you need to address your 3 biggest needs OLB, WR and SS.

#5 - Orakpo - as much as I have some concerns about him as a OLB.

#36 - Delmas/Moore - both suit this defense as combo FS/SS type guys

#50 - Robiski/Iglesias - both can step in and fill the position of #2 receiver (if we keep Edwards).

My other option would be if the organization thinks there is good value at OLB available at #36.

#5 - Crabtree/Maclin - Two premier receivers. Maclin is closing the gap and I don't think he's a stretch.

#36 - English/Sintim/Barwin - Personally I like Sintim because he is a SOLB in the 3-4.

#50 - Chung/Moore/Delmas/Wood/Unger - Looking for best available between SS and Center. I sort of like the Center here because this is a unique year for dominate centers and we can always sign a Milloy as a stopgap SS.

I think we really need to go after another 2nd rounder or high 3rd rounder because there is some great value still going to be there up to #90.

Though I disagree with most of your post indicating your draft pick choices, except for the drafting Wells at 5 which any sane man knows is, well, whatevs, one thing you stated resonated with me.

Terry Pluto had a great statement in his article this morning about Atlanta GM saying he drafts for needs and takes the best player within those needs and I really like that idea.

What dogshit GM doesn't do this? Isn't this 'strategy' pretty obvious? Or would we recommend drafting the lesser or some non-need players instead?

#5 Brian Orakpo DE Texas

Better stay away from Orakpo. He will be a bust and hurt alot. Not worth the pick at 5. No wells then I would take Crabtree or Macline.

If curry isnt there and mangini wants to trade bq they best look at sanchez if theres one guy that may be as good as bq after a year of on the job training it is sanchez..

If we keep bq and trade edwards we best look at slowtree and maclin...maclin would be my choice as crabtree lacks speed and with BE gone we will need a scorcher..

Maybe it's that, bash the buckeyes mentality. Diss anything Scarlet and Grey. Didn't you also say that JL would be a bust and Jenkins was overrated. Maybe it isn't the player, just the school that eats at you.

Wrong again Ytown.....You may me breaking a record for the amount of times one poster can be wrong in one thread.

I have been on record defending JL and have said he is going to be a very good 4-3 LB. Aloy and I got into a rather long discussion over JL. Aloy had serious doubts and I love the guy.

I am also on record saying I love Robiskie and would love to see him in Orange and Brown.

I have said that he reminds me so much of Chris Carter. Not great speed but wonderful hands and good size that he'll use to his advantage. Unlike you, I even think he can be a #1 WR.

I have not said anything about Jenkins. Positive or negative. I just can put my finger on the guy.

So, again, my credibilty is completely intact. More than I can say for you and the claims you have made in this thread.

Take your OSU paranoia somewhere else. It isn't flying here.

I wouldnt mind going with Crabtree or Maclin at #5 but i just remember watching browns games last year and watching Smith getting double teamed and our D-ends not being able to do anything even though they were single teamed. If we get a dominate D-End with Smith in the center we could have a pretty dominate D-Line. I also remember thinking we needed a solid corner last year and guess what ill feel that way this year too. Some things just dont change lol

Better stay away from Orakpo. He will be a bust and hurt alot. Not worth the pick at 5. No wells then I would take Crabtree or Macline.

I have mixed feeling on orakpo he could be really good or a really big bust he is more a risk then slowtree or maclin imo..

The one thing im sure of is the only buckeye's that will be decent players at the pro level this year are jenkins and robiskie..

Jenkins has the vision and tries to smother/wrap his guy up though he appears to tackle soft he is often on his guy like a glove and he goes for the sure takedown...

The rest of this years bucks are dicey especially wells while he has a helluva motor his pain threshold when only slightly injured will limit him from exceeding with the big boyz...

I have mixed feeling on orakpo he could be really good or a really big bust he is more a risk then slowtree or maclin imo..

The one thing im sure of is the only buckeye's that will be decent players at the pro level this year are jenkins and robiskie..

Jenkins has the vision and tries to smother/wrap his guy up though he appears to tackle soft he is often on his guy like a glove and he goes for the sure takedown...

The rest of this years bucks are dicey especially wells while he has a helluva motor his pain threshold when only slightly injured will limit him from exceeding with the big boyz...

Little Animal is going to be a 10 year starter, mark my words.

He's not going to be "impact" but he's going to be a guy that's smart with great instincts that is always working to get better. He'll do great in a "scheme" system like New England which relies on intelligence and rapid decision making and dear help us god if he falls there.

Jenkins is going to be an above average safety.

Robiskie is going to be a solid #3, maybe #2 if he's lucky.

Archived