THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Draft Needs by CBS SPORTSLINE

Sez.EJ

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11612589

* overall I agree with a few exceptions.. Steptoe is NOT adequate as a #3. And the Defensive line needs, if not ONE starter, Maybe even Two. Safety we need a starter and not just depth..

On a side note.. trading Quinn or Braylon would be a mistake..especially the way Mangini and Co. Whiffed on Earnest Gholston the Jets first round "pass rusher" last year who had zero starts and zero sacks.. I am not interested in trading future superstars who can bring championships to Cleveland for maybe's in this years draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11612589

* overall I agree with a few exceptions.. Steptoe is NOT adequate as a #3. And the Defensive line needs, if not ONE starter, Maybe even Two. Safety we need a starter and not just depth..

On a side note.. trading Quinn or Braylon would be a mistake..especially the way Mangini and Co. Whiffed on Earnest Gholston the Jets first round "pass rusher" last year who had zero starts and zero sacks.. I am not interested in trading future superstars who can bring championships to Cleveland for maybe's in this years draft.

How can you rag on a guy and not even know his name? Says a lot about your intelligence, eh? Also, I think someone pointed out in another thread that there was talk that Gholston was drafted AGAINST Mangini's advice.

Lastly...Vernon Gholston was a rookie last year. A little soon to call him a bust. Hell, Kam Wimbley had a great rookie season, but where's he been since?

How can you rag on a guy and not even know his name? Says a lot about your intelligence, eh? Also, I think someone pointed out in another thread that there was talk that Gholston was drafted AGAINST Mangini's advice.

Lastly...Vernon Gholston was a rookie last year. A little soon to call him a bust. Hell, Kam Wimbley had a great rookie season, but where's he been since?

I think your last point concerning Gholston is right on. There is no way you can call that pick a whiff. That will not be known for a few years yet.

Even if Mangini did want Ghoston, he was with about 20 other GM's that would have loved to have Gholston in that 1st round.

It was pretty much a consenus opinion that he was a big time 1st round pick. It's not like Mangini reached for him at #6 overall.

So sue me I don't know they guys first name.. I do however know he was the Jets first round pick and never started a game. I realize that it is perhaps too early to call him a bust..But you tell me.... one team that does not expect the guy taken that high to at least crack the starting lineup by years end.. So at this point.. he is in fact a BUST.

Defend him all you want..but you are missing my point.. the point IS>>> if we start trading guys like Quinn and Braylon.. We need to do better drafting than that. We have had enough of the 1st second, and 3rd round busts.. chaun thompson, Jeff fain (he was not a bust but managment was due to giving up on him), chris crocker, william green, andre davis, melvin fowler (another we gave up on), gerrard warren, quincy morgan, courtney brown, travis prentice, james jackson, tim couch..it goes on and on and on..Kevin Johnson can probably be considered one of our best picks ever since our return and he was a very average player.

We should not be trading guys like Braylon and Quinn.. it's too hard to replace good players.. As for Winslow..we got good value for a guy with limited upside and limited future due to injuries..smart move to get a 2nd rounder for him.. I think if we keep these two..it will be a huge boost to the team for years to come.. Provided we can re-sign Edwards.

So sue me I don't know they guys first name.. I do however know he was the Jets first round pick and never started a game. I realize that it is perhaps too early to call him a bust..But you tell me.... one team that does not expect the guy taken that high to at least crack the starting lineup by years end.. So at this point.. he is in fact a BUST.

Defend him all you want..but you are missing my point.. the point IS>>> if we start trading guys like Quinn and Braylon.. We need to do better drafting than that. We have had enough of the 1st second, and 3rd round busts.. chaun thompson, Jeff fain (he was not a bust but managment was due to giving up on him), chris crocker, william green, andre davis, melvin fowler (another we gave up on), gerrard warren, quincy morgan, courtney brown, travis prentice, james jackson, tim couch..it goes on and on and on..Kevin Johnson can probably be considered one of our best picks ever since our return and he was a very average player.

We should not be trading guys like Braylon and Quinn.. it's too hard to replace good players.. As for Winslow..we got good value for a guy with limited upside and limited future due to injuries..smart move to get a 2nd rounder for him..

So then I guess Quinn's a bust based on that logic? Was projected to go high, still went in 1st round at the cost of 2 picks, never saw a start for his first season AND a half. There could be a number of reasons he didn't start. Just a little soon to be labelling. Its almost like the DA lovers calling him a HoFer after the first Cincy game in 2007.

There are plenty of guys on this board who DO say quinn is a bust.. (I am not one of them) .. He did screw himself up with his holdout and can only blame himself for that.. It's his job controll his agent and get into camp ontime.. He played pretty well from what I saw last year. He had the texas game which was terrible too. I expect growning pains..

I also understand there is a HUGE difference in cracking the lineup as a defensive end and a QB... Golston was drafted with the expectation he would take over right away.. The Jets fans I know are not happy with him at all. Pretty much were we are with Wimbley..altough he showed us something as a rookie.. he needs to step it up or he will be the next guy on the bust list for us.. It's a pretty long list too.

He is a lb not a de first of all. Second of all he played in more games than Bell did for us so does that mean that Bell is already a bust. Also he was present at the Draft. Its my belief that those 5 players that are there on draft day are all thought of as 5 of the best players in last years draft. A lot of people thought he should go high of he wouldn't have been present.

There are plenty of guys on this board who DO say quinn is a bust.. (I am not one of them) .. He did screw himself up with his holdout and can only blame himself for that.. It's his job controll his agent and get into camp ontime.. He played pretty well from what I saw last year. He had the texas game which was terrible too. I expect growning pains..

I also understand there is a HUGE difference in cracking the lineup as a defensive end and a QB... Golston was drafted with the expectation he would take over right away.. The Jets fans I know are not happy with him at all. Pretty much were we are with Wimbley..altough he showed us something as a rookie.. he needs to step it up or he will be the next guy on the bust list for us.. It's a pretty long list too.

Therein lies the problem....he may have been drafted with the expectation to take over right away, but they drafted a DE from a 4-3 defense and put him at OLD in a 3-4. There WILL be growing pains. Its not Vernon's fault that they aren't using him in the way he learned to play. Kam had a great year and apparently a coach that wanted him to play. But like DA, as soon as teams had tape on Kam, he's disappeared. Will Gholston learn? I don't know. But he's far from being a bust at this point.

Yeah dude, a lot of us have been screaming for more Harrison for quite some time. Some naysayers said he's too small to play the position but he's every bit as big as the Tiki Barbers, Warrick Dunns, Reggie Bushs of the world. He can carry the load and I firmly believe the kid can be a game changer.

I don't remember Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders being hulks... And it's not like he is small like Eric Metcalf..

Harrison can run, and I think he deserves a shot.

Exactly dude, Sanders was a little fella, however he was solid muscle, and Emmitt, while a great back benefitted greatly by having that Dallas line in front of him for pretty much his entire career. not to take anything away from him, but i firmly believe if not for the Dallas offensive line Emmitt would of never sniffed Barry's record.

But enough of him, I just think Harrison is a great talent, and has great field vision. I see him breaking tackles and making guys miss. Is he gonna get 9 yards on every play? Hell no, nobody does, I saw Barry with games where he had a total of -2 yards, but that doesn't mean he's not a great back. I think more often than not Harrison will make plays for us, and big ones when we need them. RAC was too stupid/stubborn/Retarded to see it.

I agree 100%. I couldn't believe the lack of runs Harrison had. IMO, we don't need to worry about the RB position right now for the draft. Let Harrison run with it.

Archived