THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Reinstated with 4 Game Suspension

Zombo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stamps could go back to Kentucky & room with NT Matt Elam 6'7" 360lbs. He's for damn sure got some food ;). Watch this monster if you see tucky on TV..

I like Kentucky football and Illini football. Too bad we don't win too many games. :(

As far as our team "needing to make a cut", I am not exactly sure how that will work. As we all know, Josh has to serve a four game suspension to begin the season. What I don't know is if a suspended player counts on the roster number. I would assume he does, but I don't know the ins and outs of NFL policy when it comes to rosters. If Josh doesn't count against the roster, then we get to see one of the rookie WR's for an extended amount of time (all the way through camp and into the season). If Josh does count throughout his suspension...then...well...I'd guess one of the rookies gets the shaft and either gets cut or placed on the practice squad (not a bad thing).

What pleases me immensely, and many player advocates throughout the world, is that Roger Goodell displayed tremendous wisdom (did I say that??) and flexibility in regards to the Gordon situation. Goodell did not have to allow Josh to remain with the team throughout his suspension (Brady is banished btw), he didn't have to reinstate him immediately, and he didn't have to say the kind words in his published statement. It really appears to be an "olive branch" extended from the commissioner to the players that says, "Maybe I didn't get it before, but I want to try and make this situation better in the future."

Josh has more than just his future at stake here. If this situation goes well, perhaps additional players can benefit from similar treatment. Building support structures, addressing real issues, allowing contact with teammates...these are all good things when it comes to troubled players. Cmon Josh...one time man...one time.

Well, now that Sylvester is a Brown again I'll certainly root for him, but I'll do so with very low expectations.

I got chills that last play... the curl route turned TD vs. the Jags.

For added fun play the "Name the QB" game.

Drug addicts are usually very good liars. Ever know one? Ever have one in your family? I'm watching Josh Gordon and I think of my brother who is already buried. He started at OG over a guy later snapped the ball to Art Schlichter in the Hula Bowl (Dan Enright - West Point/Army). In 7th grade he was in some 9th grade honors courses getting As. Everything that came easy to him later bored him in challenge. The more people lectured him on what he was turning down - the more this Good Will Hunting story went drinking, partying and hunting instead. Gordon has this fan base thinking "Josh really means business this time." What has changed this time?

Does anyone know why they teach history in school? So people can learn from it. This pertains to everyone but drug addicts putting drugs first. An addict can take you to the cleaners. They're highly skilled and street smart at getting people to feel sorry for them. I'm not falling for it again. If you look at all my posts about prospects - they're rose colored glasses full of optimism. Gordon fooled me all the way up to what I witnessed from him in 2014. He's failed 2 drug tests since. What am I missing here?

Larry, the rest of the story that I hope you read was HOW Josh went from several colleges interested in his elite talent to just Baylor and somebody less. The denial blinders on our board about the guy is unbelievable. He has yet to be a reason this team is winning. In his dream year of 2013, we went 4-12. In 2014, we were 6-4 WITHOUT him and finished 1-5 after he returned as he treated us to 0 TDs, occasional effort and not knowing the plays. When you're not the primary receiver and you advertise to the defense "I have this play off" - are you really helping your QB and teammates? I thought we'd get better when he came back but we got worse. Why? The guy doesn't have ANY heart for this game. He has a very different feeling about football than we want him to have especially with his skill-set. AGAIN, isn't that the reason so many major college programs lost interest in him? Were they validated when he got booted out of Baylor, which was a pretty hard program to get kicked out of apparently.

Okay, so what do we have to lose by giving a guy like Gordon, who is already here, a shot at finally making it through 1 full season without failing a test? We're wasting development/learning curve/reps that comes with experience from this FO's hand selected guys. I'm glad Manziel gave him the advice: "Best buddy, if you go to rehab like I did - they'll think you really mean it this time." Yeah, rehab really means a lot if you're there only to fool people. We flatlined in 2014 when the major distraction returned. There was nothing even remotely similar to the 2013 version we saw. Now, it's even 2 years later with an off season full of Johnny Manziel. Gee, can't wait to see the Jerry Rice that created.... Where is there even a shred of evidence this guy is willing to put football first for once?

Even more disturbing, football is willing to give him the equivalent of about 5 winning lottery tickets but he'd rather lie to an audience willing to buy quick sand about treating strep throat with cough medicine. All those that want to pretend he's just dumb, bought that alibi hook line and sinker. He's addicted to something NFL players aren't supposed to consume. He's outsmarting a lot of people here that just want to call him stupid. He's a drug addict that can't say no so all he's done to date is try to outsmart the drug tests. Larry told us cocaine flushes out fast d/t being water soluble. Same applies to alcohol, which Josh also tested positive for as our fans tried to blame his teammates, coaches and everyone but guess who? Cris Carter had it right. Keeping the lie alive here doesn't help Josh while we have yet to cash in on the win column because of Josh looking no further than what has he done for us lately (2014).

i dunno. maybe i'm a Gordon apologist but i think this is extreme. unlike Greg Little and JM he has no violent or person to person arrests, let alone convictions. the comparisons aren't accurate. a pothead is not a drunk or a methhead or an opoiod addict. can't broad brush em, unfair and innacurate to villify pot that way. he can afford it. he's a grown man who pays his own bills. but it's more than fair to claim he's screwed us. now comes the opportunity to make it up to us. finally, after all the wait we get to see if he can turn it around.

there is a chance that it was never chemical dependency addiction, but ratger addiction to a young celebrity lifestyle. call it rock star, and when things cone easy it's hard to resist for a lot of folks. simply growing up can cure it, or at least curtail it.

i have lots of reasons to believe Josh is committed to football and wants to set Browns records and i encourage him to do so. :D

W. Slaughter = A. Hawkins

J. Gordon = Megatron

if the o and d can gel and execute their schemes, a couple rookies and 2nd year guys step up, and with elite play from Gordon, RG3, and Gilbert, this team makes the playoffs.

Flash isn't a game changer. he is a capable year changer. And he has low miles

not to get ahead of ourselves but i'm absolutely stoked over the possibility of him being in shape, up to speed, and on the field as a secret weapon against Brady and the Pats. we need the help. taking pressure off Coleman and allowing him to develop behind Josh is ideal. this softens the Des Bryant hit some.

Thank you Roger Goodell for this opportunity for Josh Gordon to make us all devour crow. in a perfect Browns world his legacy will have us all kneeling before him, his being the jersey to collect and own. crazier things have happened. or just another crash and burn stat. or simply wasted talent and mediocrity like K2.

What pleases me immensely, and many player advocates throughout the world, is that Roger Goodell displayed tremendous wisdom (did I say that??) and flexibility in regards to the Gordon situation. Goodell did not have to allow Josh to remain with the team throughout his suspension (Brady is banished btw), he didn't have to reinstate him immediately, and he didn't have to say the kind words in his published statement. It really appears to be an "olive branch" extended from the commissioner to the players that says, "Maybe I didn't get it before, but I want to try and make this situation better in the future."

Josh has more than just his future at stake here.

^^ last thing you said. i doubt this is for the league or about setting precedents.

Roger clearly threw the Browns org and Browns fans a bone with this generous opportunity.

i (and i suspect Roger Goodell) hope the Browns take full advantage of it.

i don't believe he is out to get us, quite the opposite in fact. i agree with Tour's assertion earlier in the thread that he may in fact benefit from Brown's success in certain ways other teams cannot provide.

since i think the outcome of games are heavily "influenced", i'm totally down for a multiculturalism path to a superbowl.

i also welcome becoming media darlings.

i applaud Haslam's innovation and trend setting leadership. he just may be the best thing that's happened to the Browns in 50 years.

i'm curious if Josh tucks in his jersey from now on. he's a stubborn rebel like cool hand luke. but if he does, i'm reading into it.

lol... I can almost hear Goodell as Josh is about to leave his office: "And keep that shirt tucked in!"

and...

Josh Gordon is injured. Physical noted a quad? injury - that happened

in his training over the summer.

par for the course with Josh.

What Josh will we get? If its the one that does not go all out when he is not the primary receiver, I don't think Hue keeps him. Too often when he was on the field I would see him run a lazy route when he wasn't the primary. If we get a player that goes 100% on every play, primary or not then I think we get the guy that led the league in receiving.

What Josh will we get? If its the one that does not go all out when he is not the primary receiver, I don't think Hue keeps him

It's up to Hue and co. to ride him on that.

Josh is Terrell Pryor's direct competition. Pryor has to out hustle him.

I can't BELIEVE that Josh Gordon showed up to camp with a quad injury. I simply can't believe it. He's expected to miss "several" weeks, which means he is going to miss all of training camp before our first preseason game, and we won't get to see him play any time soon. Josh is obviously incredibly behind every other WR since he missed OTA's and minicamp, and the guy HAD to have every day of training camp to get somewhat caught up. I mean...COME ON MAN. Dammit I'm so angry. It's like, we get a bit of good news, and we can enjoy it for two days before getting a letdown. Of course, it's not THE letdown (Josh testing positive, LOL), but it's still pissing me off.

I just bought tickets to go see the Browns play the Bucs in Tampa, and normally I detest preseason games, but this one is the all-important third preseason match, and I'm REALLY hope I get to see Josh play. Pretty excited about seeing my boy Winston too, as well as several of our rookies.

I live in Tallahassee and attend several games, but not as many anymore (have a family and partying all day isn't in the cards, haha). I'm a huge FSU fan and graduated from there in 2001. I might go to the Miami game, but it's doubtful. Anymore, I like to watch the games in high def and sit on my comfortable couch, LOL.

Speaking of watching games in High Def...I'm NOT looking forward to getting the bill from Direct TV for the Sunday Ticket. Living in Florida, we obviously don't to watch many (if any) Browns games. I can't stand paying for the damn Sunday Ticket every year, but there's really no other way to watch the Brownies.

and...

Josh Gordon is injured. Physical noted a quad? injury - that happened

in his training over the summer.

par for the course with Josh.

At least he was training Cal. Part of not being able to have the Browns medical staff around. He'll get intensive rehab.

I know, it's just beyond frustrating. I expect Gordon to be "in shape, but not FOOTBALL shape". What I mean by that is, I expect he'll be at around his proper weight and be close to looking like he used to, but I also expect him to get severely gassed and get tired after doing football drills. From what I understand, it's difficult to properly train for football unless you're PLAYING football.

Then again, Josh is 25 years old and a freak of nature, so possibly he's good to go. Oh wait, he has a freaking quad injury that came out of nowhere. GRRRRRRRRR.

I know, it's just beyond frustrating. I expect Gordon to be "in shape, but not FOOTBALL shape". What I mean by that is, I expect he'll be at around his proper weight and be close to looking like he used to, but I also expect him to get severely gassed and get tired after doing football drills. From what I understand, it's difficult to properly train for football unless you're PLAYING football.

Then again, Josh is 25 years old and a freak of nature, so possibly he's good to go. Oh wait, he has a freaking quad injury that came out of nowhere. GRRRRRRRRR.

Agree playing football is the answer but Josh has much to learn in a new Al Saunders PLAYBOOK. Boy he failed at that the last time. He'll be in the weight room but his other downfall was football conditioning in games played. Surly they will get him back to eating properly also. This so called analytical FO either way did over draft 4 WR's for a reason. In showing no trust in J. Gordon. Do they deal with it? Josh better have his head in the game with HueJax around. We may have passed on a true C & much needed defensive back end that still shows nothing if Haden losses game time again. I like T. Williams, but he was not brought here to cover #1 WR's.

Did not know a hammie impacted the brain...

Being able to be in the facility, in the WR room, in walk/jog-throughs is yuge. No reason Josh can't "learn" the playbook.

Polish his WR skills? Different story... so long away has to have taken its toll, but it's not as if he was a polished route-runner in his early seasons... more a raw talent o' plenty.

Bottom line.... I'm not too worried... anything we get from him is in the "bonus" category.

Also, last I read it was speculated he could be back in two weeks... so the pull's grade must not be too "high". A little "medicinal" and he should be fine in no time.

Then as long as he doesn't pull a groin taking a piss-test...

He's 6'3 225, runs a 4.4 40, catches almost everything thrown to him, is 25 years old and once led the NFL in receiving with over 1,600 yards from three different mediocre QBs, despite playing two less games than everybody else.

So ... I'm glad he's on our side. The quad will clear up and while it does, Hue's staff has him. That's exactly what he needs, and what we need.

Z

huge statement on social issue right now and the state of affairs with our youth....

would rather get high than earn a multi-million dollar paycheck to help support his entire family tree for years to come.

hope he's in it to win it. until then, stay off the WEED UH.

I'm just disappointed, ya know? I went from elation to hearing about his return and his ability to participate fully in camp, to then seeing the report about his injury and becoming furious, LOL.

That being said, he'll have access to a fantastic medical staff and therapy. I kind of figured he'd pull a hamstring anyways, as those injuries are common and we had about a thousand last year. Figured he'd be so excited that he'd push too hard and tweak a muscle somewhere, so this really isn't a huge surprise. Hopefully he's back healthy sooner than we think.

Josh is the kind of guy where if it ever "clicks" he could be scary. I totally realize he did get a ton of yards during some garbage times of football games, but the guy still has innate, raw talent that few others possess. Lord help the league if Josh ever gets clean and gets a Larry Fitzgerald type work ethic. I don't even know how good the guy could be, and when I think about the stats he had while playing with Brandon Weeden...it boggles the mind. Remember the year Brady had with Randy Moss? Can you imagine if Josh played with someone like Brady? With Gronk, Edleman, and Dion Lewis...that offense would be Retarded.

Gordon is someone who never really looks like he's running fast, but when you look at others players chasing him, you notice that nobody is catching up to him, LOL. His hands are decent, but he definitely falls victim to "concentration drops". I really like the diversity Josh has to his game as well. He's not a "one-trick pony", and he's adept at going long, catching a quick hitch, running deep outs, and even running reverses. One of my favorite receptions Josh had, and also one of my favorite Weeden throws, was on a 3rd and 16 deep in the fourth quarter. We had to get a first down in order to move the clock and essentially win the game. Many people, myself included, figured we'd do a running play to force a timeout, but we didn't do that at all. Instead, Weeden fired maybe his prettiest pass to a decently covered Gordon right at the sticks for 16 yards. We then just about ran the clock out and won the game (I forget our opponent). It was pretty impressive.

Archived