THE BROWNS BOARD

Its official: Browns to sit on Quinn/Edwards trade talks

BrownsLifer

Guest Masters

Once again, local media having to quote other peoples columns and waffle on what they have said in previous columns (or tried to bate in recent columns, Tony!). God I love how the new FO handles the media.

I still contend CLE cannot afford to trade BE at this time. A rookie WR would have no legit receiver opposite him, which will hurt that rookie WR development, and either QB.

Hmmm....well if you put it that way I say keep him. But heres the thing: he will be a free agent next year so why not let him go and save money? We will be giving him a big bonus check regardless if he goes or stays in 2010. I agree with you but we arent saving our money. I still like the Crabtree/Maclin/Maualuga idea.

Guest Masters
Hmmm....well if you put it that way I say keep him. But heres the thing: he will be a free agent next year so why not let him go and save money? We will be giving him a big bonus check regardless if he goes or stays in 2010. I agree with you but we arent saving our money. I still like the Crabtree/Maclin/Maualuga idea.

Well, right now his check isn't that big for this year. Next year, if he returns to form (which I think he will and obviously other teams do if they are willing to give up high picks for him), CLE will have the option for franchise or transition tag him (then move him if needed). Since as it stands now, next season will be an uncapped season, CLE can use both tags in the same season, have no cap to worry about, and Edwards won't end up a FA next season in that scenario anyway. To me these are all things to keep in mind when talking about moving Edwards.

I am not oppossed to drafting Crabtree or Maclin (very against Maualuga, especially at #5). I just think it will be a bad idea for CLE to try and go into the season w/ one of those guys having to be the #1 WR w/ no help opposite of them. That's why if I were to draft either guy, I'd still keep Edwards for this season. Let those guys get their feet wet w/o being asked to be the star WR, learn, then take over next year if CLE has to go that route.

Good points Mik, but I'm still enthralled with loading up on picks. We've all been assuming Crabtree or Maclin only if Edwards were moved, but it would be pretty tantalizing to pair up Edwards with one of those guys for at least two more years. It would give Quinn some nice options to throw to with Patten healthy. Grossi seems to think Lewis was hurt last year so if they do go offense round one I imagine that will be that and no backs will be selected.

Guest Masters
Good points Mik, but I'm still enthralled with loading up on picks. We've all been assuming Crabtree or Maclin only if Edwards were moved, but it would be pretty tantalizing to pair up Edwards with one of those guys for at least two more years. It would give Quinn some nice options to throw to with Patten healthy. Grossi seems to think Lewis was hurt last year so if they do go offense round one I imagine that will be that and no backs will be selected.

Oh, my ideal world involves CLE trading out of the #5 spot and getting some more picks. Not a fan of moving Quinn or Edwards for picks, at least this year. That then becomes more risk in the unknown and we all know the draft hit/miss scale.

Pairing Edwards with either of those guys, even for just one year, I love. Even more if Quinn does indeed become the starter. Quinn will still be a rookie starter for all intensive purposes, and I'd rather see weapons to use while learning, than no weapons and having to be god at QB.

I don't buy the Lewis hurt last year thing. I've backed the guy, but his days as the featured back are done. He's be a nice compliment to Harrison or a new back taken in the draft.

I totally agree that CLE will not take a back in round one. I don't think they'll take one until their 3rd pick, at the earliest. Even that I think is a bit sketchy.

Guest Masters
How is this even close to official word though? You got a PD article quoting Lombardi on what HE says, not the Browns orginization.

Am I missing something here?

You're not missing anything. I think the author just meant that it was official that the Browns are sitting on offers for both guys. But in the end it's just Grossi quoting someone else because he can't get any info.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, the point of the article is that the Browns have offers on the table for BQ & Braylon, not that they're refusing to deal them.

For proof of that, check out the Lombardi article that Grossi is quoting:

Trade winds are blowing, and the Cleveland Browns seem to be making the most noise of any team. I hear from more than one NFL team that the Browns have a No. 1 pick on the table for Brady Quinn and are looking for more. However, it appears to the teams that I’ve talked to that the Browns will make the move to trade Quinn. There seem to be two teams very interested. They also will move Braylon Edwards and have at least a No. 1 pick on the table right now. Expect the Browns to have their team reshaped by the time the draft ends.

It says they're sitting on offers, not that they're refusing offers. I'm sitting on some cash in my wallet right now, not refusing to spend it, but it's gonna be spent at some point. I'm not saying they're gonna trade these guys, but just because they have offers they haven't bit on yet doesn't mean they've decided a trade won't happen.

... edit, just noticed the last two posts mentioned the same thing I just did.

When I saw that they were "sitting" on the offers, I thought that they were refusing. When you say you are sitting on an offer, doesnt it mean you refuse it? Or did I misunderstand the vocabulary?

You are correct. IMO that would mean they are weighing their options..

Once again, local media having to quote other peoples columns and waffle on what they have said in previous columns (or tried to bate in recent columns, Tony!). God I love how the new FO handles the media.

I still contend CLE cannot afford to trade BE at this time. A rookie WR would have no legit receiver opposite him, which will hurt that rookie WR development, and either QB.

yeah but any rookie will be able to surpass what braylon did last year so it is a step up.

Thank Goodness Quinn is staying but Braylon? I say get rid of him. I like the Crabtree idea but Jeremy Maclin is awesome too. Maualuga as well. So many to choose from.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...d_to_be_si.html

I know where your coming from i felt that way until recently and when really thinking about it leaving our starting qb regardless of who it will be without an experienced vet WR...would be a terrible mistake plus braylon is in a contract year and rather he stays or if he wants to leave next year how he plays this year will severely effect his bottomline...i look for BE to have a great year with the browns with BQ or sanchez under center..iif DA starts i wont purchase a sunday ticket until mankok is gone..i will watch the games via sopcast..with DA the conclusion will be all to obvious anyways..

Crabtree would be a great 3rd slot guy...maclin would be a potentially incredible slot 2 his first year and a slot 1 by his second year..;)

When it comes to either of these current QB's staying put, remember, last year Mangini was saying the exact same things.....He said he was very happy with Clemens and Pennington and before you knew it Pennigton was gone and Brett Farve was the starter.

You just never know.

Lombardi is a giant turd. He worked for free for the Raiders because they didnt even value him enough to pay him.

I dont believe the first thing that drips out of that guy's mouth.

Thank you.

The guy is completely lost about football and has done nothing but cash in on his surname.

Sure, he may have more contacts in the league than this entire board combined....but that isn't really saying much....especially when the guy has proven time and time again that he is pretty much clueless.

Guest Masters
yeah but any rookie will be able to surpass what braylon did last year so it is a step up.

Based on what? There aren't a lot of rookies that give a team 55 catches, 873 yards, 15.9YPC, and 3TDs. Especially w/o an established WR opposite of him.

On the sunny side... can you imagine this draft if the Browns have the 5, 17, and 18 in round one?

If we move Quinn, it's tough to imagine not drafting a quarterback, but maybe they'd give Anderson another shot. Doesn't seem likely in this offense, but who knows?

As much as I despise K2, he was right in saying they tried with Anderson but it just didnt work out. Keep Quinn and throw that nobody DA in the Lake. Draft Sanchez or Stafford. I have a feeling they will be better than DA in their rookie seasons.

Anything can happen in the NFL. ANYTHING.

On the sunny side... can you imagine this draft if the Browns have the 5, 17, and 18 in round one?

If we move Quinn, it's tough to imagine not drafting a quarterback, but maybe they'd give Anderson another shot. Doesn't seem likely in this offense, but who knows?

Come on Shep, you know they aren't moving Quinn and drafting Sanchez.

Look at the Mangini/Belichick/Parcels history. They build the core (lines and LBs) then they bring in the skilled positions guys. They don't do what the 99 Browns did. Bring in a QB then build a team around him. They build a solid base of Linemen and Linebackers then bring in the skilled guys.

Come on Shep, you know they aren't moving Quinn and drafting Sanchez.

someone said it best the other day, can't remember who...

Just "close your eyes and plug your ears" Ytown.

You ain't gonna like what's comin'. It's best you just block it out of your thoughts.

Archived