THE BROWNS BOARD

Rey Maualuga

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

I think we've fallen into a stupid, pointless cycle in which some posters overemphasize certain positive aspects of Maualuga's game, other posters respond by overemphasizing his negatives, then the cycle repeats.

To try to stop the "x is a bust" silliness, I'm posting here a scouting report that I wrote a while ago but never posted. Thanks to JD for making some good edits; all remaining grammatical mistakes were either added after JD looked at it or left in there just to piss him off.

I hope the report makes clear that I really like aspects of Maualuga's game and think he could be a good to great pro; I just don't think our scheme, draft position, and situation as a franchise make Rey a good fit for us. He's a final piece, not a foundational player.

Strengths:

As Heck already noted, Maualuga fills harder than any linebacker in this year's draft. He goes from zero to slobberknocker at an impressive pace for a player his size, and he delivers punishing blows when he reaches his target. It's not rare to see Maualuga knock a player out of the game or intimidate him out of being effective.

When playing at his best, Rey possesses the strength and quick hands to deal with incoming blockers. Though he doesn't often play up to his potential, he exhibits special skill when he does. During the Senior Bowl, he simultaneously took on a block and stripped the ball from RB Cedric Peerman. Though he'll always be more comfortable attacking the line of scrimmage, Maualuga flashes enough potential to make it seem likely that he could adjust to playing in a read & react 3-4.

His skills as a downhill run-stuffer would be especially useful to a team in a run-heavy division like the AFC North, but Rey also offers some value on passing downs. His coverage ability isn't great - he's not agile enough to play man and doesn't break down well in space - but he can deliver some punishment on receivers running across the middle and make an occasional play on the ball.

In addition to that, Rey showed some edge rush ability during the Senior Bowl practices. Though Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews kept him inside at USC, it's possible that a 3-4 team would experiment with blitzing Rey from the outside linebacker spot. When blitzing from the inside, Maualuga is capable of pushing the pocket and, when given a free lane, delivering devastating hits to the quarterback. A creative defensive coordinator could use Maualuga to wreak havoc on third down, though his lack of rush moves may lead to him struggling early on.

Maualuga has great potential and is an elite player when his instincts allow him to fully harness his ability. Once in a while, Maualuga enters into a zone, becoming a Montana of the middle linebacker position. The 2008 Rose Bowl was a case of that, with Maualuga notching 3 TFL's, 3 sacks, and an interception.

Weaknesses:

Unfortunately, Maualuga can also play like he did in this year's Rose Bowl. When he's not on, Rey can oscillate between overaggression and indecision. He'll overpursue and take himself out of a play, then be too slow to react and let a lineman get into his body. When he hesitates, he becomes more tight-hipped and prone to missing tackles; during the Oregon State game, #58 didn't even look like a good athlete, much less an elite one.

Even when Maualuga is playing with fiery aggression, his mistakes can lead to a defense getting gutted for big gains. As one scout put it, Maualuga's play is like fishing with dynamite; it works, but you'll need someone to clean up the mess afterward. He'll need to be surrounded by good linebackers to be successful, which could be a problem if a team awful enough to pick in the top half of the first round drafts him.

Rey also doesn't do the little things one expects from an elite linebacker. He doesn't wrap up ballcarriers, instead preferring to shoulder-check them into the turf. Most of the time his method works, but - like the rest of his game - it can also open up opportunities for big gains. This will be all the more true in the NFL, where the running backs will be bigger and more agile. Unless Maualuga works on the unfinished fundamentals of his game, the hard hitter could earn a reputation for being a poor tackler.

And in the end, the most serious concern about Maualuga is character. He was involved in a series of alcohol-related incidents at USC, which he has blamed on immaturity and the anguish of dealing with his then-gravely ill father. However, one incident occurred close to a year after his father's passing and just a couple weeks after Maualuga completed his court-mandated drug & alcohol counseling. Teams will have to determine whether Maualuga's claims to have matured and gotten past his alcohol issues are credible

In addition to that, Maualuga has made some decisions regarding his health and fitness that may scare teams. He took prescription painkillers before the season opener against Virginia, which left him unable to retain fluids during the game and, ultimately, caused him to collapse in the airport after the game.  He publicly criticized USC's training staff in '07 when they told him a knee injury that he suffered wasn't serious, and there were reports that his knee showed no swelling after he supposedly injured it during this year's Oregon State game. These may be isolated incidents, but they could also signal that Maualuga won't be one to take trainer's and team doctor's advice about how to keep his body right for an entire NFL season.

The draft process has raised questions about whether Maualuga is a high maintenance type who can't be trusted to succeed on his own. He showed up to the Senior Bowl unprepared and out of shape, then ended up firing his first agent after a much-publicized intervention by Pete Carroll. Despite those reports, Maualuga lied to reporters when asked about the situation at the Combine, saying that he never switched agents. Rey may be a guy who needs to have a coach or veteran teammate screaming in his ear and a large barrier placed between him and NFL reporters. Otherwise, he could get into trouble off the field or cause distractions in the clubhouse by making questionable or inappropriate comments.

Conclusions:

In the end, Maualuga is a complicated, often frustrating player. He's extremely impressive when you first watch him, but that impression tends to fade once you've watched a lot of him. You come to expect that Rey will consistently make the type of highlight plays his elite explosiveness allows, which is unfair and - to a certain extent - a reflection of how good he can be. On the other hand, you also notice that he often explodes in the wrong direction, which suggests that his instincts and ability to diagnose plays could end up limiting his upside.

Rey's got the size and strength to be a great 3-4 ILB, but he struggles when lineman are able to get to the second level. It's possible that he'd be better off playing in a defense that's less complex and more aggressive than a read & react 3-4. Personally, I think he could be very effective as a two down 4-3 inside linebacker.

Because his style of play requires good surrounding talent to cover for his mistakes, the negatives aspects of Maualuga's game could pop up much more if he's added to a struggling defense. And if he's drafted too high, the risk of him losing focus and not earning his contract increases exponentially.

Rey would be a solid pick for a team in the mid-teens looking to add a final piece to their already good defense. However, I see him being less of a fit for a team like ours, with our struggling defense and a new regime looking to build upon a foundation of high character players. He'd have to slide to the 20's for me to think the risk, both in terms of playing style and character, doesn't outweigh the considerable reward that is Rey Rey's upside.

I think the last paragraph says it all. I agree with you Aloy. With the right team he would fit nicely. I don't think it's the Browns and I have a feeling that Mangini will not want to take a chance as well.

The last thing a new coach will want is to start off his regime with any kind of problem with personalities and with Rey you never know what you might get.

Ill reply with this...NOT A FOUNDATIONAL PLAYER????? Are you nuts? He would be an Excellent choice for the Browns! The Cleveland Browns have NEVER had a MLB as good as Rey....NEVER! Not one player even close at MLB! While I respect your efforts and contribution....your thoughts about rey not being a foundation are silly! In Fact...he is EXACTLY the foundational player you want to build around and Eactly the type of LB you want player behind Shaun Rogers! COME ON....think...Rogers , Maualuga and Delmas or Rashad Johnson and we are a GREAT run stopping team!

Guest Masters

What do you mean Solon? All those weaknesses in Rey's scouting report sound just like the ILB play we have been watching for the last few years.

:o D'qwell is a fine linebacker just not in a 3-4...trade him to a 4-3 defense and he will shine. a Big madman in the middle is the very foundation of a 3-4 defense behind NT. The final pieces are the rush LB's! Rey would drastically change our defense...I can't say that about ANY other player in this draft...take him! Dqwell is too small and can't get off blocks....just can't...he gets gobbled up and lost in traffic!

What do you mean Solon? All those weaknesses in Rey's scouting report sound just like the ILB play we have been watching for the last few years.

Dude...this is ALOY's scouting report.... I'll liken Rey to kenny lofton....A great Up the middle defender and lead off hitter and base stealer....you wish you had one....and a difference maker on your team. All the little thing lofton did once he reached first base....distracted the pitcher stole bases...i.e you always had to have an eye on him.....rey would bring that to this Defense...someone on their team will always have to have an eye on him/game plan him and rogers. he'd Bring attitude and identity to the Browns immediately!

In the other thread I likened Curry to TJ Houshmazadeh (the T.J. of linebackers), I liken Rey Maualuga, to the Ocho Cinco of Linebackers.

If I were looking for a WR, I'd hit up chad and about 5 other WR's before I hit up T.J.

We need a showstopper

We need Maualuga

Couldn't this have been added to the Rey thread already in existence?

I think it's obvious that Aloy was making a point bigger than just another post in an old thread. This is right where is should be. A new thread.

Solon, I understand your fondness of Rey, but the Browns would have to make deals to be in the position to grab him somewhere in the mid 1st round. Would you take him at #5?

I just don't see Mangini taking a chance with him. I think they could add depth to the middle later in the draft but I don't see Mangin taking him even if the Browns do end up with another 1st round pick.

I think Mangine will be ok going into this season with Bell, Jackson, Barton and Williams in the middle.

I'd rather wait until 2010 and go after this 6'4" beast, Rolando McCain.

mccain.jpg

Rey is not worth a #5 pick- so if he's available to us at a later pick then fine. I have no links or sources just video seen and i give him 50/50 possibility of being a thug or just stupid.

he won't make it past #12

Sometimes it isn't just a piece of meat that you draft, you need some brain cells behind it. We dont need anymore Patrick Starfishes.

Didn't Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews score higher on their apptitude test than Rey Maualuga?

Guest Aloysius
I'm saving this for three years from now!

I'm pretty sure I've covered my ass on this one ;)

I love Rey's toughness and athleticism, but I think he'd be better off in an aggressive scheme: either a 4-3 defense like the Eagles or a 3-4 like the Chargers or Ravens. He's a seek & destroy type; if you ask him to play in a read & react 3-4, I'm afraid you'll see some more of the tentative play you saw in the Oregon State game. I'd rather let him be aggressive and hope other guys cover for his mistakes, but that's not something our scheme & surrounding players can do.

If we drafted him, I'm not saying that he'd be a bust, just not as good as advertised. If we were somehow able to get him in the late 1st round, that would be an okay value pick.

he won't make it past #12

I have him going to the Chargers at #16. Denver desperately needs d-line help, so I think they go with Tyson Jackson at #12.

I'm pretty sure I've covered my ass on this one ;)

I love Rey's toughness and athleticism, but I think he'd be better off in an aggressive scheme: either a 4-3 defense like the Eagles or a 3-4 like the Chargers or Ravens. He's a seek & destroy type; if you ask him to play in a read & react 3-4, I'm afraid you'll see some more of the tentative play you saw in the Oregon State game. I'd rather let him be aggressive and hope other guys cover for his mistakes, but that's not something our scheme & surrounding players can do.

If we drafted him, I'm not saying that he'd be a bust, just not as good as advertised. If we were somehow able to get him in the late 1st round, that would be an okay value pick.

I have him going to the Chargers at #16. Denver desperately needs d-line help, so I think they go with Tyson Jackson at #12.

REY WOULD DRASTICALLY CHANGE OUR DEFENSE...I CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT ANY OTHER PLAYER IN THIS WHOLE DRAFT CLASS!!! I AM STICKING TO IT!

I think we've fallen into a stupid, pointless cycle in which some posters overemphasize certain positive aspects of Maualuga's game, other posters respond by overemphasizing his negatives, then the cycle repeats.

Are ya sure? All kidding aside, that was an incredibly insightful post I REALLY appreciated reading Aloy. You've heard all my redundant grid-love for Rey so I'm not gonna bore you with too much more of it. I think when you add the strengths with the weaknesses - I put my guard down and enjoyed the thorough scouting report.

1 thing and I don't know whether this is a concern or strength is that Rey transitioned well from 1 level to another. I think by the time he became a senior his performance wasn't as consistent as I found him as a junior. My theory is SOME of that was him feeling spoiled by surrounding cast and trying to go for the big highlight hits when they weren't always there/necessary and he should have just been squaring up in position to make the tackle. My HOPE if he comes to us is he regains that fire in his belly that got him the John Mckay Award as a true freshman (for most competitive spirit). That's the character you WANT him to have and the freshman season was one of transition to a new level. The RIGHT kind of contract incentives can take care of maturity concerns/worries IMO.

We're less than 2 weeks from this HOT draft! I'm pumped!!!!! Do we stay at #5 or trade down? It'll be interesting to see what we do.

- Tom F.

REY WOULD DRASTICALLY CHANGE OUR DEFENSE...I CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT ANY OTHER PLAYER IN THIS WHOLE DRAFT CLASS!!! I AM STICKING TO IT!

then your not paying attention to the other LBs that make him look like a punk.

Archived