THE BROWNS BOARD

Kiper/McShay Draft Buzz

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

From their latest First Draft podcast:

Kiper:

• James Laurinaitis: A lot of team asking about him, fringe 1st round pick

• Connor Barwin: A lot of teams picking in the mid 2nd round are hoping he'll be there

• Brian Robiskie: could go in the late 1st round, considered a very safe pick

• Bradley Fletcher: solid 3rd rounder

• Eric Wood: late 1st, at worst early 2nd, could go to Steelers

• Josh Freeman: definite 1st rounder

• Peria Jerry: one team told him he's the best pass-rushing defensive tackle they've seen in the past five years. Also a lock for the first round.

• James Casey: probably a 4th/5th round guy (McShay thinks 3rd)

• Mark Sanchez: will go in the top 13 picks. Thinks Seattle should take him but has heard that they won't.
McShay:
  • Mark Sanchez: thinks Jacksonville will take him, but the Jets could trade up for him.

• Alex Mack: 80-90% sure a center won't be taken in round 1, but four could be taken in 2nd round

• Antoine Caldwell: could go early day two, not a great athlete

• Harvin: questions about niche, durability, and - most importantly - his Chad Johnson-type character

• Nicks: most NFL-ready receiver outside of Crabtree

• Orakpo: teams getting skittish about him, the Texas factor (perception that Longhorns aren't tough)

• Maybin: gaining ground on Orakpo

• Raji, Tyson Jackson solidified as top 15 picks because of their 3-4 scheme fit

• Ron Brace: mid/late 2nd round

Nicely done as usual, Alo. You are seriously Da Man.

I think the chances of the Browns taking Orapko are about zero.

I think it's Crabtree, Sanchez, or Curry. One has to be there. Just simple math.

Has to be one of the 3. For about a day or two I thought we might have the chance to trade out and pick up some extra picks. I can't really see that happening now, but I won't rule it out. If we pick Crabtree, I would tend to think BE would be traded shortly after or have already been traded.

The tough choice is this....what if Curry and Crabtree happen to be on the board (extremely unlikely, but stranger things have happened) and you have a trade worked out with NYG depending on who's there at 5? Curry is your top rated player...do you take him or draft Crabtree out of need following a BE trade?

There is no way the Browns draft a qb at 5.

It's Curry, Crabtree or trade down.

A wr duo of Edwards and Crabtree would worry the crap out of

the div opponent's defenses.

But I can see trading Edwards for big value. But with Quinn at the helm,

he throws a far more catchable pass, seems to me. Edwards might be fine...

Guest Aloysius
I think the chances of the Browns taking Orapko are about zero.

I think it's Crabtree, Sanchez, or Curry. One has to be there. Just simple math.

It's increasingly looking like it won't be Orakpo. But just like how Mayock thinks teams are going to regret passing on Ayers, I have a feeling we're going to wish we'd drafted Osackpo.

I get the concerns about him: yes, he's stiffer than Ware (though not a statue like Gholston). And I've seen some bizarre things from him: he spent a lot of time on the ground in the Rice game, and Brandon Pettigrew really handled him in the Oklahoma State game.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being in the Ware/Merriman class of 3-4 OLB's. I'd probably take him over Crabtree, though I can understand why Mangini probably won't.

I'll say this, being a Penn State homer again, if we could trade out of #5 or get a later 1st in some other trade, I'd take Maybin in a second. His first step is very quick.

With Sanchez rising in the draft and people knowing Jax may be interested, I think that brings a trade down back into play. San Fran loves him and the Jets also might be a team interested in trading up.

I think if Kokinis has a chance to trade down, he will. Could be why Edwards isn't traded yet. If they trade Edwards now, they lock themselves into Crabtree and take the team out of any posswible trade down.

With Sanchez rising in the draft and people knowing Jax may be interested, I think that brings a trade down back into play. San Fran loves him and the Jets also might be a team interested in trading up.

I think if Kokinis has a chance to trade down, he will. Could be why Edwards isn't traded yet. If they trade Edwards now, they lock themselves into Crabtree and take the team out of any posswible trade down.

It's going to go down on draft day and that's a big reason I think Maclin is in their plans, they can grab him a little lower. They may also like Stevie Nicks a lot too.

It's going to go down on draft day and that's a big reason I think Maclin is in their plans, they can grab him a little lower. They may also like Stevie Nicks a lot too.

It's increasingly looking like it won't be Orakpo. But just like how Mayock thinks teams are going to regret passing on Ayers, I have a feeling we're going to wish we'd drafted Osackpo.

I get the concerns about him: yes, he's stiffer than Ware (though not a statue like Gholston). And I've seen some bizarre things from him: he spent a lot of time on the ground in the Rice game, and Brandon Pettigrew really handled him in the Oklahoma State game.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being in the Ware/Merriman class of 3-4 OLB's. I'd probably take him over Crabtree, though I can understand why Mangini probably won't.

Mayock REALLY likes Ayers because he's observed him at the right time, which obviously hasn't been too much of his stay at UT. That said, he got HOT when it counts and I understand where Mayock comes from.

BECAUSE I have Orakpo-phobia - he's prolly gonna be a star. I'm not REALLY good at pegging pass rushers; BUT I can't even describe how much I miss Jamir Miller's impact out on the edge. Making QB's throw the ball before they want to allowed these very average DBs to help us lead the conference in INTs in 01: Bush, Little, Elsworth, Fuller, McCutcheon, Henry. I STILL wonder how much further we would have gone in 2002 if we had Miller.

If there's someone LIKE this in the 09 draft - we need him! And you know what? Jamir Miller didn't have THAT much more training on rushing the passer than someone like Curry. If you have the RIGHT guy - the art of sic em isn't going to be as difficult as learnigng a brand new language. I think Curry could play any LBer position and perform just about any task this 3-4 would ask of him INCLUDING rushing the passer. When Wake Forest was playing Navy - Curry just wasn't going to be asked to rush the passer vrs the double/triple option offense. Curry is a spice we lack. I'd be SO pleasantly surpised if he slips to #5 BUT I rarely even mention him because 3 teams ahead of us need him too.

- Tom F.

I think from the noise being heard that maybe the Browns aren't as high on Crabtree as some think. I certainly think they will trade down is they get a chnace and they most likely would take less value then the pick is worth just to get out of it.

That being said, I keep going back to a defensive coach and a DC that wants dominate LBs, so Curry, if there or Orakpo make too much sense. I do think they like Maclin and Nicks and I don't think they are a big drop off in talent for half the money it would cost for Crabtree.

Trade down, but no lower then the Jets at #17.

I think from the noise being heard that maybe the Browns aren't as high on Crabtree as some think. I certainly think they will trade down is they get a chnace and they most likely would take less value then the pick is worth just to get out of it.

That being said, I keep going back to a defensive coach and a DC that wants dominate LBs, so Curry, if there or Orakpo make too much sense. I do think they like Maclin and Nicks and I don't think they are a big drop off in talent for half the money it would cost for Crabtree.

Trade down, but no lower then the Jets at #17.

Good points Y'town! This is a time of year I don't know what to believe as to whom the front office is interested in with our first pick.

I think Crabtree in the right environment has alot to offer someone. I really do. I just think he has more of an adjustment than many people think if they're expecting immediate impact. Leach kept him SO non-double covered in that 4 WR scheme. Oklahoma just went with a zone where they rolled coverages his way and actually harassed and confused Harrell like he wasn't accustomed to in that conference. Since Leach used to work for Stoops they pretty knew how to disrupt an attack centered around Crabtree's talent. In our division, he'd see 2 BIG time Safeties that would introduce themselves and I can guarantee you he hasn't seen anything like these 2 in that Big 12. Aside from that, Crabtree has screws in the foot/ankle impacting his rehab/running at this time.

- Tom F.

Archived