THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Priorities for the Draft

Mr. T

After reviewing who we have allready signed what position do you think is on the high priority list?

CLEVELAND BROWNS-Signed Eric Barton, LB; David Bowens, LB; Noah Herron, RB; Corey Ivy, CB; C.J. Mosley, DT; David Patten, WR; Hank Poteat, CB; Robert Royal, TE; John St. Clair, OL; and Floyd Womack, T. Re-signed Mike Adams, S.

I see 2 LB's in Barton, Bowens and Herron. This ay deal edwards away makes me think that we will be looking in a different direction for our first pick of the draft. By watching all the news and the speculation on Edwards we may be fortunate enough to have two picks in the first round. Team Mankok may want to fill 2 needs in the first round.

I think that WR may be the first. So that leaves us with who will fit Cleveland best. Maclin or Crabtree?

But then again do you draft the best overall athlete? I say you draft the best overall Football Player. You can take a track star and throw him into the combine at Indy and get identical results for many of these players that come through there.

confused... whats the point? IMO..what we need and always have is a Middle Linebacker...Running back...and WR...corners and safeties can be found later! DL's later...olb's later...We need to give Quinn the reigns...let him throw to Crabtree and Hakeem nicks and Brandon tate in the third...barwin in the second along with Delmas/Johnson or smith at safety.,..corners later

Thats a nice wish list you want a new team. I hope next Saturday is christmas for ya.

Isn't Barton a MLB and a damn good one at that?

Great thread T!

He proved to be very efficient in NY, which is why he's here. I LIKED the signing because I doubt he required Diva prices and he CAN fill 1 starting void if needed. Another likable is he already knows Mangini's version of the 3-4. My biggest worry is this is his 11th or 12th season and we've seen quite a few FAs his age getting hurt when they wear our colors. Wear and tear has a toll and it's never predictable when, where, or how it rears it's ugy head. But we're Browns' fans and we've been stung by this repeatedly.

It's been theorized that Rey will be a 2 down LBer like Spielman became. That being the case, there's STILL room for Rey at #5 with Barton playing passing downs/tendencies. He's also quality depth that can spell D'Qwell if necessary or fill in for injury. He gives us alot of good scenarios.

If it's WR - I'd prefer Maclin to Crabtree because I LIKE the speed and HOW he'sd be capable of keeping the Safefties from sneaking up into the tackle box. In addition, he's a pretty freakin steller return guy, which could free up Cribbs into a starting role. It would be nice to see Cribbs in the slot getting mismatches downfield instead of remaining confined to running a gay wishbone. That doesn't mean Crabtree isn't capable of being a great one somewhere. His challenges will be he COULD see double coverages that Leach kept him away from in 4 receiver spreads. Another challenge is he recently had a pretty significant surgery requiring screws. Last I heard he wasn't able to run yet. Our division includes Safeties like Ed Reed and Polly - his previous conference did not nor did they play much defense.

Not believeing any April Poker comments. IF we trade Quinn for the exchange value Dumb Ass wasn't good enough to receive - We COULD conceivably burn our #5 on Sanchez for these 2 reasons:

1) a couple teams behind us are counting on him being available which = trade leverage we want. Then, we can sign JP's Lostman +/or add Pat White to beat out DA within a few weeks of regular season games

2) the new brass could very well be unenthused by DA and Quinn. This means they'd prolly prefer their OWN decision at franchise QB if their hyde's are on the line. NOW anyone that thought they could get Sanchez so they didn't NEED Quinn will have to reconsider and we've got the trade leverage working again.

Raji scares me if he wasn't devouted enough to refrain from marijuana. I see another Gerrard Warren that could hold us hostage. That being the case, he'll slip to a more talented team offering much less signing bonus and holding more incentive-based leverage than we would have after the ginormous signing.

I think we'll have some GREAT prospects and options available at #5. I can't wait to see what the new brass does.

- Tom F.

That being the case, there's STILL room for Rey at #5

I can't get on board with this one. I can't find a single mock that has him anywhere in the top 10. Most of them have him dropping out of the top 20. Of the dozen I've looked at this week, he was the first USC LB taken in only 1 of them. Even if you think he's a great fit for us, it just doesnt make sense to use a #5 overall on that much of a reach.

I can't get on board with this one. I can't find a single mock that has him anywhere in the top 10. Most of them have him dropping out of the top 20. Of the dozen I've looked at this week, he was the first USC LB taken in only 1 of them. Even if you think he's a great fit for us, it just doesnt make sense to use a #5 overall on that much of a reach.

You've got plenty of company with that about #5 overall Tupa. I swim against the current on Rey. I HAVE also heard our brain trust is interested in Rey so I was saying Barton didn't necessarily mean we don't go after Rey.

Not calling you wrong here - just letting you know where I'm coming from. It's tough to say what a REACH is when the first 25 teams thought Ray Lewis was a reach and the same thing happened with Deuce McAlister. A reach is Mike Junkin, Tommy Vardell and Craig Powell in places we got them. Rey had more than 1 good season at USC IMO. He got the McKay award as a Freshman which symbolized most competitive spirit. The Next year he was all conference. I think he handled the transition from high school to college well. There was sinficiant growth in years 1-3. They say he would have been drafted top 10 in 08 if he came out. I'm not buying the theory he woke up a bad player in 08 as much as I think it was a sign of a player that took more risks because he thought the talents around him could cover his fanny if he went for the BIG hit and missed. When he goes to the NFL I think he'll set out to prove himself at the transition like he did in college. I'm aware of his imperfections BUT I think standing up behind Rogers makes it a NICE environment for him.

Another quality I like is how often he jars footballs loose. We don't have 1 LBer doing that for us presently. And did you know Rey had 6 sacks in 07? I don't think another USC LBer had more in any 1 season. He also had the most tackles and INTs in 4 years than of the 3 USC Lbers rumored for round 1. I think some criticism is just and some isn't if I examine his FULL body of work at USC. For what it's worth - Rey made All American in 08 even though I don't think it was his BEST season of the last 3.

I haven't said this in a long time but my favorite LBer remains Curry. The reason I rarely mention him is because pretty much ALL of the teams drafting in front of us need him too. He'd be a WONDERFUL pleasant suprise if available at #5.

I think we have some great options at #5 I couldn't complain about. I wouldn't be opposed to a tradedown for more picks either.

- Tom F.

After reviewing who we have allready signed what position do you think is on the high priority list?

I see 3 LB's in Barton, Bowens and Herron. This ay deal edwards away makes me think that we will be looking in a different direction for our first pick of the draft. By watching all the news and the speculation on Edwards we may be fortunate enough to have two picks in the first round. Team Mankok may want to fill 2 needs in the first round.

I think that WR may be the first. So that leaves us with who will fit Cleveland best. Maclin or Crabtree?

But then again do you draft the best overall athlete? I say you draft the best overall Football Player. You can take a track star and throw him into the combine at Indy and get identical results for many of these players that come through there.

Nice post and this shoud be a very debated thread. One correction we signed 2 LBs Barton and Bowens. Herron is a RB. I think a good place to start is the depth chart. We are short at OLB, Safety and WR. We also have additional talent needs at RB, Center, OT, ILB.

AT #5 or # 36 they have to go OLB. Defense is about stopping the run and putting pressure on the QB. For that reason I hope we trade down, but as it is. WR is the biggest talent deficiency on the team along with OLB. Noting Edwards isn't traded, I say either Orakpo and Robiskie or Crabtree and English/Mathews at #36 or Barwin/Sintim at #50. I really hope we trade down because I think English will be gone and I believe Maclin and Nicks are as good of a value as Crabtree.

So, I say OLB, WR and with the other 2nd round selection either Center or SS, based on who's left on the board. Without any additional picks, I think the team needs to get into position to grab Brinkley and let him learn under Barton.

JMO, but I sure hope we can aquire more picks by trading down or by trading Edwards only if the new staff thinks he will be a distraction and is unsignable. I would like to keep Edwards if I knew he will be around for a few years and he wants to play here.

Nice post and this shoud be a very debated thread. One correction we signed 2 LBs Barton and Bowens. Herron is a RB. I think a good place to start is the depth chart. We are short at OLB, Safety and WR. We also have additional talent needs at RB, Center, OT, ILB.

AT #5 or # 36 they have to go OLB. Defense is about stopping the run and putting pressure on the QB. For that reason I hope we trade down, but as it is. WR is the biggest talent deficiency on the team along with OLB. Noting Edwards isn't traded, I say either Orakpo and Robiskie or Crabtree and English/Mathews at #36 or Barwin/Sintim at #50. I really hope we trade down because I think English will be gone and I believe Maclin and Nicks are as good of a value as Crabtree.

So, I say OLB, WR and with the other 2nd round selection either Center or SS, based on who's left on the board. Without any additional picks, I think the team needs to get into position to grab Brinkley and let him learn under Barton.

JMO, but I sure hope we can aquire more picks by trading down or by trading Edwards only if the new staff thinks he will be a distraction and is unsignable. I would like to keep Edwards if I knew he will be around for a few years and he wants to play here.

Well said Y'town.

I think I'd understand ANY of these names at #5 if they surface:

- Curry - my favorite. Reminds me of the Clay Mattews we drafted in 1978 versatility wise.

- Rey - my 1B. I like a MEAN basterd noted for vicious hits that jar footballs loose and I'm stubborn.

- Maclin - he's the first offensive name on my list because his speed will prevent Safeties from cheating up in the box and he's rumored to be terrific at returning kicks. Dual purpose never sucks.

- Moreno - IMO, he is NOT a reach.

- Crabtree - I think he'll require a little more patience based on injury and system change away from Leach's 4 receiver sets.

- Sanchez - for trade purposes I could see it make sense. It could cause desperation from a team behind us that really wants him and we'bve seen the leverage desperation can give a team. This becomes our tradedown essentially. It would be like SD drafting Eli.

Major Temptation:

- Wells - If this guy could shake the injury bug - he's got a WOW factor.

- Tom F.

Maclin - he's the first offensive name on my list because his speed will prevent Safeties from cheating up in the box and he's rumored to be terrific at returning kicks. Dual purpose never sucks

After Riffer brought this guy up last week and looking at his stats and video. I would be happy with Maclin as our 1st pick.

I like your notes on how he can keep the safeties honest and not let them cheat up. That is something we haven't always been able to do.

Guest Aloysius

Unfortunately, Eric Barton's reached the point in his career where he needs to come off the field on passing downs. He'd be a nice tutor to any ILB we draft, but he's not a natural complement to Maualuga.

Unfortunately, Eric Barton's reached the point in his career where he needs to come off the field on passing downs. He'd be a nice tutor to any ILB we draft, but he's not a natural complement to Maualuga.

Maualga would be great inside next to Barton, possibly on passing downs when going into the nickle D Barton could come off then, but just to think of having Maualuga on our team gives us hope.

Offense or Defense on the first pick? Which side of the ball do you think we'll go?

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/43230487.html

Orakpo stuff. This was dated the 18th. Hope this is still "fresh" for all of you.

Sounds like the chevy truck can still haul it.

Nice find, some think that he may be a first round bust, but any player taken in the first could be a bust. Nobodycomes with a guarantee, that is why character becomes a big issue when your making your first day picks unless your the Bengals. :P

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall of the browns war room on draft day?

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall of the browns war room on draft day?

I wouldn't be able to get away with it. Mangini will have it checked for bugs. Can't say I'd blame him.

I think he would be a very good mentor for a guy like Brinkley.

I don't like the idea of taking a receiver that high. We have that now with Edwards, I already forgot who the Raiders drafted last year how much did he help. Look at the receivers Detroit's taken all those guys had the same buzz about them. I think it's to risky to take a receiver that high and they don't make much of an impact the first year.

We already have a first round qb who can run the dink and dunk offense.

I'm one of these guy's who believe the game is won in the trenches I would take the best defensive tackle and put him next to Rogers this will help us against the run and the pass and he will make/contribute more plays per game than a receiver. If we trade Edwards we will get a serviceable receiver and a pick. With that pick I would draft the center. This would improve both run/pass on both sides of the ball. Get your skill players in the second and third. I'm hoping Wimbly, Hall, Bell will step up with some better coaching.

Good point for you and me here. My thought was if he's off the field on 1st and 2nd downs - he's got fresh legs and the 11 years of NFL experience for 3rd down complexities. That said, we're only talking about hook zones here instead of staying on the hip of a speedy receiver. I think Barton's work on 3rd downs would keep us 1 step faster in instinct and recognition. Ray Lewis STILL manages to score TDs against our offense and it ain't because he outruns receivers as much as he's NEVER wrong with first step instinct and the reality that hook zones aren't long distance.

Also, I WAS thinking about Barton's age and HOW LONG he can remain at the level he gave the Jets in 08 in terms of full timeage/wear and tear. Here's what Lindy's 08 Football Preview had to say about Barton: "The Jets have looked for replacements but he's managed to stick." page 138. That's good news about performance but it also implies wonderment of how long and how much they should ask of him. If he's going to be a tendency package and tutor here - I see this as win-win. Your comment implies you're not seeing Barton as full timage either so this doesn't remove the need for an ILBer.

As for the ability to learn from an NFL veteran - Kenny Norton speaks very highly of Rey as he should. If he was out there saying this kid doesn't listen to anything we tell him and we think he's way overrated, I'd share your notion that Barton wouldn't be a good complement.

Ray Lewis was once where Rey is right now. The first 25 teams said "reach." The 26th team led by Ozzie said "THANK YOU for the Hall of Famer!" ALOT of cruddy scouting reports and premature opinions led to that.

- Tom F.

I would argue that no player is over-rated if he's taken at the right spot. Sounds stupid but if someone offers you a great deal on a car or a house....you're going to consider it a good buy relative to the market and how you feel about what you paid. One man's bargain is another man's extravagance.

The worst thing that any team can do is fall in love with a player (see Ditka, Mike). The pick at #5 is Sanchez, Crabtree or Curry with the latter being the best-case scenario in my mind. Orakpo is an outside possibilty but I think that the other three would be "best available" relative to him.

And one teams trash is another teams savior.

All the pros say not to pick needs but to pick the best available talent at hand. I agree to an extent If you are picking in the top 5 you need to be looking at the best available athlete in the position in need the most. If we draft another OL I will be fine with it. If we draft Beanie Wells I will be fine with it. Our team has several needs across the board, so this makes an idea situation for Team Mankok, If they are looking for a offensive lineman they can trade down gather a couple of extra picks and still be able to get the guy that they want all along. But if they are interested in a high profile player they better grab him as soon as possible.

And one teams trash is another teams savior.

All the pros say not to pick needs but to pick the best available talent at hand. I agree to an extent If you are picking in the top 5 you need to be looking at the best available athlete in the position in need the most. If we draft another OL I will be fine with it. If we draft Beanie Wells I will be fine with it. Our team has several needs across the board, so this makes an idea situation for Team Mankok, If they are looking for a offensive lineman they can trade down gather a couple of extra picks and still be able to get the guy that they want all along. But if they are interested in a high profile player they better grab him as soon as possible.

completely agree accept getting Sanchez, that means we will be set back another 2 years and have to deal with DA again. If you you have a great need pull the trigger.

Archived