THE BROWNS BOARD

Orakpo=This Year's Gholston?

Earl34

Sorry, VT, I don't remember that game... must have been busy.

But even though they are similar in build, their mental make up seems to be very, very different.

Ghouston was a loner, and quiet. Competitive on the field

But Orakpo is extremely competitive, and outgoing, and funny, and -into the game-.

The big different, imho, is the personality and drive of Orakpo. That will make him a big success in the NFL.

Texas' opponents experiencing Orakpo phobia

01:29 AM CDT on Thursday, October 30, 2008

AUSTIN – Brian Orakpo, a fan of author John Steinbeck, penned a concise description of his playing

style for the Texas football Web site: "Too fast for your eyes."

The problem was that Orakpo was more visible than he wanted to be in 2007, slowed by a knee injury.

The senior defensive end whom coach Mack Brown called maybe the best pass rusher of his time in

Texas managed just 5 ½ sacks after suffering a chop block against Arkansas State.

Now, the Orakpo everybody expected has emerged. He's in the face of offensive linemen, the heads of

quarterbacks and on a mission, he says, to make up for time lost.

The next challenge of Orakpo and his defensive teammates will be getting past Texas Tech's ample, accomplished

offensive line and invading Graham Harrell's personal space.

"They've only given up three sacks all season," said Orakpo (6-4, 260). "We understand their philosophy. We

understand that the sacks aren't going to be a huge numbers.

"But from what we've saying from Day 1 is putting the pressure, making them somewhat uncomfortable and not letting

them sit back there for days."

Containing Orakpo has bedeviled even the biggest and best offensive linemen. Somehow, Orakpo found a route around

Oklahoma's mammoth Phil Loadholt (6-8, 337) in an eye-opening performance earlier this year.

"It means a lot to our defense because you know somehow the quarterback will be affected," Texas defensive tackle

Roy Miller said. "Rak has a mismatch on everybody he plays."

In big-time college football, just about everybody is strong.

Or fast.

Or gifted.

Containing Orakpo has bedeviled even the biggest and best offensive linemen. Somehow, Orakpo found a route around

Oklahoma's mammoth Phil Loadholt (6-8, 337) in an eye-opening performance earlier this year.

And late round selection or undrafted FA Alex Boone shut him down. Orakpo had one early sack and two tackles in the Fiesta bowl. After the 1st period he completely disappeared.

I think this is why Mayock as cooled on him. Could he be great? You bet.... But Mayock sees a guy that isn't consistent.

Mayock acts now as if he doesn't even think he's worthy a top ten pick.

Guest Aloysius
And late round selection or undrafted FA Alex Boone shut him down.

That's not true. It wasn't Orakpo's best game, but Boone didn't "shut him down". In fact, Orakpo lined up a lot at LE because they wanted to stop Pryor from simply rolling to the right whenever Orakpo beat Boone, which happened a few times early in the game.

You can re-watch the game on Hulu. There's been a lot of unfair criticism of his play in that game. And because it's the only Texas game a lot of OSU/Browns fans saw, it's leading to some being a lot lower on Orakpo than they should be.

That's not true. It wasn't Orakpo's best game, but Boone didn't "shut him down". In fact, Orakpo lined up a lot at LE because they wanted to stop Pryor from simply rolling to the right whenever Orakpo beat Boone, which happened a few times early in the game.

You can re-watch the game on Hulu. There's been a lot of unfair criticism of his play in that game. And because it's the only Texas game a lot of OSU/Browns fans saw, it's leading to some being a lot lower on Orakpo than they should be.

Ok, then Bryant Browning shut him down....Even worse!!! A guard who had been moved to Tackle out of need.

Either way, his presence was not felt often in that game.

Where was he when Boeckman played? Didn't have to worry about Pryor rolling on those plays. He never came close to Boeckman.

Todd was 5-12 for 110 yards and a TD. During those plays Texas knew they Buckeyes were going to throw. The perfect time for Orakpo to put his head down and go. Where was he?

Don't need to rewatch it cuz that's how I remember it. He definitely did not get "shut down".

Don't need to rewatch it cuz that's how I remember it. He definitely did not get "shut down".

I sack and two tackles is not shut down?

Ok!!

As I said in the prvious post....Can't say Orakpo was spying Pryor when Boeckman threw the ball 12 times for 110 yards and a TD.

I guess Orakpo was being shut down at LE by.....Bryant Browning!!

I wish Todd Mcshay would be our GM since he is the best football evaluator out there, why havent we hired him.

The guy is well respected around the league....He's been evaluating talent for a living for well over ten years.

He's not just another ESPN reporter.

He was tutored by long time scout and coach Gary Horton for the war room. This firm is hired by NFL teams to provide independent scouting reports.

Just listened to Mcshay on ESPNU.

I think he has cooled on Orakpo too. Mcshay is now saying he doesn't even think he's a OLB. Questions his cover ability.

He thinks he's a pure 4-3 DE.

Texas played some 3-4 this year and Orakpo played OLB and scouts say the film of him in coverage was very good. He also did a very good job at the combine in the LB drills.

McShay is flip-flopping on a lot of guys in the last few days. He's had Orakpo going to Cleveland, Sanchez going to Cleveland, Crabtree going to Cleveland and now Raji going to Cleveland.

Fact is nobody has a clue what the Browns are going to do.

EA just announced Orakpo to be on the cover of Madden '10

i'm reading that it is the cover on ncaa football along with sanchez, percy harvin and utah quarterback brian johnson. i think it is just the college orakpo will be on.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/22/...2010-ncaa-game/

Are you serious?

that's the first time a rookie has ever been on the cover of madden, and also means I don't want to touch that kid with a 20 foot pole.

The kid is doomed, why oh why did his agent agree to this?

Whoops, my bad. It is the EA NCAA cover.

Archived