THE BROWNS BOARD

Latest on BE to Giants

We need Tom Tupa

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/22/...ds-trade-talks/

We caught wind earlier today of a deal being close to done between the Browns and the Giants for receiver Braylon Edwards.

Not so, according to ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio.

Per Paolantonio, the Giants are holding firm at a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick for Edwards. The Browns want a first-round pick or and defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka. (Both? Are the Browns high?)

But the Giants aren’t budging, primarily because the Browns have no other takers.

And that’s why we think the Browns might be putting out a phony rumor that a deal is close — the Browns are trying to get someone else to come to the table.

Or The Gspots are playing hard ball until the last second. If they want Edwards bad enough they'll make the deal, and I think they do.

The Browns don't have to move Edwards, we can go another year with him and address other needs. Don't just give him away. All drops aside, the deal Detroit got for Williams makes this proposal look like shit and Edwards is a way better receiver, regardless of the blowup he had last year.

The Giants need BE more than we do. We won't be a serious playoff contender next year (with or with out BE), the Giants should be, especially with BE.

Second, with the limited trade offers/contract proposals given to BE from other teams, he has to realize he doesn't have the leverage to force the Browns to make a trade. They are already trying and the offers aren't realistic.

I think we'll make a trade, when the Giants are on the clock, and we'll either get that 1st pick or Mathias Kwiakanuak.....

I think we'll make a trade, when the Giants are on the clock, and we'll either get that 1st pick or Mathias Kwiakanuak.....

What if the Browns take Raji with #5?

That is The problem you run into with Kiwanuka being in a deal when the Giants are on the clock at 29. The Browns may have already taken a D-lineman. Unless they are going to 4-3 then Kiwanuka wouldn't be worth that much to them.

Maybe the Browns don't go d-lineman at #5 feeling the Giants will be ready to deal at #29?

I wonder if they've even considered resigning Braylon. I'm sure he's demanding a deal that he's not earned, but it couldn't be much more than they'd pay Crabtree if they take him #5 overall.

That is The problem you run into with Kiwanuka being in a deal when the Giants are on the clock at 29. The Browns may have already taken a D-lineman. Unless they are going to 4-3 then Kiwanuka wouldn't be worth that much to them.

Maybe the Browns don't go d-lineman at #5 feeling the Giants will be ready to deal at #29?

Why would you not want both Kiwi and Raji?

Can you say pass rush is checked and time to address other needs.

Kiwanuka would be an OLB in the 3-4. Raji is a pure NT and not even a DE. If anything rogers would move to DE and Raji would be the NT. That's why I don't like the pick.

We are not getting KIWI, if we dont get a 1st , screw this trade. and late second and 5th are you fn kidding me! Dont even make the trade, we can keep BE for this year and franchise the guy and get the 1st and 3rd or 2 1sts what ever it takes,and get a #1 in next years draft. we will be drafting around spots 7-13 next year. I hope Boldin signs with the Eagles and with Dallas havin roy williams the gmen will wish they got BE, screw them.

#5 DL, LB

#36 rb

#50 ss

4th rounder can still get brinkley or another WR

It would be nice to have the extra picks but 2 and 5th for BE not interesed!!!! dont do it FO

Why would you not want both Kiwi and Raji?

Can you say pass rush is checked and time to address other needs.

Kiwanaku

Raji

Rogers

Smith

Smith

Williams

Leonard

There are seven D-lineman to play a 3-4. Why would you want that? Are you going to draft Raji and pay him millions to be a part time player? Sit Williams and Robaire? I think Robaire is a good tackle. I'd rather fill another need than have so many D-lineman.

It would be a waste of a trade to get rid of Edwards to take a DE when you just drafted Raji and have so many other servicable lineman on the team already.

We are not getting KIWI, if we dont get a 1st , screw this trade. and late second and 5th are you fn kidding me! Dont even make the trade, we can keep BE for this year and franchise the guy

If no deal is signed between the union and the NFL and with next year being a possible uncapped year Edwards would not be an unrestricted Free agent. He would be restricted....This it what I learned from this board and other places. If someone tenders him next year as a restricted FA then the Browns would get a 1st and 3rd...I think that's right.

Wouldn't that make it kind of silly to give him away for a 2nd and 5th? I wouldn't take Kiwanaku and a 5th for him either.

I'd like to see him traded, but c'mon....A 2nd a 5th?

...we can happily keep him on this year and who the hell knows, if he has a great year and the team really turns it around he might want to stay here...

I agree. I get he's not considered the long term answer at this point, but I wouldn't mind having him in the last year of his contract, where he's trying to look as good as possible to get the next contract's dollars up.

Just put a barrel of Jack Tatum's Red Hot Stick'em Sauce at the end of the bench and have him dip elbow deep before every series.

I agree. I get he's not considered the long term answer at this point, but I wouldn't mind having him in the last year of his contract, where he's trying to look as good as possible to get the next contract's dollars up.

Just put a barrel of Jack Tatum's Red Hot Stick'em Sauce at the end of the bench and have him dip elbow deep before every series.

my god Eric Wright looks like he is like 4' 10" in your pic

Kiwanaku

Raji

Rogers

Smith

Smith

Williams

Leonard

There are seven D-lineman to play a 3-4. Why would you want that? Are you going to draft Raji and pay him millions to be a part time player? Sit Williams and Robaire? I think Robaire is a good tackle. I'd rather fill another need than have so many D-lineman.

It would be a waste of a trade to get rid of Edwards to take a DE when you just drafted Raji and have so many other servicable lineman on the team already.

Don't forget that we signed Mosley and we have that other NT we drafted last year. But, Kiwanaku would be a OLB in the 3-4. I think that would be great but we don't need Raji. You give #5 money to impact players and DLinemen in the 3-4 aren't impact players.

Kiwanaku

Raji

Rogers

Smith

Smith

Williams

Leonard

Leonard wouldn't make the team, and Kiwanaku would play standing up as a backer.

I think the deal is already done (whatever it may be) with the understanding the Giants will listen to last minute offers. If there's a better deal for them - they can null and void this trade. The BOLDIN thing sounds like it could impact the trade UNTIL you factor in that the Giants and Cards were in the NFC's final 4 so it would be surprising to me to see these 2 teams trying to help each other get better.

Remember the news out of NY was Kiwanuka was going to start at OLBer last year until DE Osi Youmeanbasterd got hurt. That shows he can play with a hand down or from a standup. I think those are the skills and flexibility you want from a 3-4 OLBer.

Please don't ever worry about the Browns having too much front 7 talent. I wouldn't know what it would feel like to celebrate the 12th of Never but it sure sounds fun.

- Tom F.

A 2nd and a 5th, are you kidding me....the GGGGGGGGGG-men can fist themselves on that one. If I 'm Manchild and Kokokonis, I keep reverting back to the Roy Williams deal last year. And if for some reason the Gspots don't step up and make a better offer, oh well, we're stuck w/a potentially very good receiver. I would like to see us land a huge swap ala 1st and Kiwi, pipe dream, but we can't just give him away....hell, worse comes to worse, maybe we get some better stick 'em to spray on his frickin' gloves this year and he gets some laser eye surgery and becomes the guy that we had hoped we had drafted. When it's all said and done though, you gotta believe that the Brownies ain't done and there are bound to be a couple more moves made between now and Sat @ 4pm. TWO DAYS TO GO, BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SINCE WEEK 3 OF THE SEASON LAST YEAR, COME ON BROWNIES!!!!!!!!!

If I 'm Manchild and Kokokonis, I keep reverting back to the Roy Williams deal last year.

That actually could be just the problem. The G-men may be saying "Look at how that trade worked out for the Cowboys".

I know it's way to early for that kind of consideration but Williams sure didn't set the world on fire in Dallas.

One TD in 10 games and he avergaed about 2 receptions a game.

That actually could be just the problem. The G-men may be saying "Look at how that trade worked out for the Cowboys".

I know it's way to early for that kind of consideration but Williams sure didn't set the world on fire in Dallas.

One TD in 10 games and he avergaed about 2 receptions a game.

Very true...but it'll be a different situation this year. Remember they had this other guy TO who cried every time he didn't get the ball. Now, Roy Williams is the man there. Plus he came in at mid season and had to learn a whole new playbook.

I can understand the Giants thinking that...but if that's their only reason, I think they're being a bit short sighted.

Regardless...they may be having trouble agreeing to terms right now, and the Giants think they hold all the cards just because no one else is involved. But, what exactly are they going to do at the position. Replace Plaxico with Hakeem Nicks? Eli has already voiced his opinion and I think the players there want a veteran to replace Plaxico. I don't think they hold as many of the cards they think. Maybe we'll see who blinks first on draft day.

Very true...but it'll be a different situation this year. Remember they had this other guy TO who cried every time he didn't get the ball. Now, Roy Williams is the man there. Plus he came in at mid season and had to learn a whole new playbook.

I can understand the Giants thinking that...but if that's their only reason, I think they're being a bit short sighted.

Regardless...they may be having trouble agreeing to terms right now, and the Giants think they hold all the cards just because no one else is involved. But, what exactly are they going to do at the position. Replace Plaxico with Hakeem Nicks? Eli has already voiced his opinion and I think the players there want a veteran to replace Plaxico. I don't think they hold as many of the cards they think. Maybe we'll see who blinks first on draft day.

Good Post.

If a deal is still a real possibilty and they have not finalized anything when the Browns pick at #5, you'd have to think the Browns wouldn't pick Crabtree or Maclin at #5. If they do choose one of those two WR's that may solidfy the Gmen's attitude that Cleveland now really wants to dump Edwards and N.Y. may not blink.

If the Browns go defense with that Pick it's a possibilty that the G-men will think the Browns are going to keep Edwards and they may feel the need to really step up if they want him.

I agree completely with you concerning the situation witrh the Giants trying to replace Burris with someone like Nicks.

Rookie WR's are not usually a huge factor their first year. regardless of who it is. If the Giants want an impact player, Edwards is the best and possibly only choice for them.

Britt may be the Only WR that comes close to filling Burris's role as the big Physical WR.

Oh, to be a bug on a wall!

Guest Aloysius

Roy Williams was playing hurt last year. I'm not convinced he's a true #1 receiver, but I think teams realize that's why he didn't play well down the stretch.

Roy Williams was playing hurt last year. I'm not convinced he's a true #1 receiver, but I think teams realize that's why he didn't play well down the stretch.

His nicks and bruises is why I would be concerned if I were the Cowboys. I don't think the guy has ever played a complete NFL season.

This is why I think the Cowboys will go WR in the 3rd or 4th round. Maybe Barden or Massaquio.

Archived